Toughest District Weight Class

dion

If there is a tougher weight class at a district than 132 at Hoover please bring it to my attention.

If there is a tougher weight class at a district than 132 at Hoover please bring it to my attention.
132 at Hoover stands out as the toughest weight class across all districts to me. Joy, D’ Alessandro, Blackburn, Jett and with one of the top 1st Rd. matchups in Sharpley (Solon) vs Plotts (Massillon Perry). That’s a gauntlet.

Last edited:
At least you guys have wrestlebacks. In Indiana, we have semi-state before state. The first two rounds at our semi-state are lose and go home. It really sucks when there are top ranked guys meeting in one of those two rounds.

These two look pretty tough

DIVISION 1
Districts
Perrysburg = PB North Canton Hoover = NCH
Kettering Fairmont = KF Hilliard Darby = HD

2. Rylan Seacrist (Brecksville) Freshman – NCH1
3. Emeric McBurney (Massillon Perry) Sophomore – NCH2
7. Luke Green (Aurora) Sophomore – NCH3
9. Becan Hahn (Mentor) Senior – NCH4
10. Blake Frantz (Wadsworth) Freshman – NCH5
11. Greyson Clemens (Uniontown Lake) Sophomore – NCH6

120 (especially the top half)
Projected Champion: Marcus Blaze (Perrysburg) Sophomore – PB1
2. Adam Butler (St. Edward) Sophomore – PB2
4. Micah Medina (Oregon Clay) Senior – PB3
9. Jaiden Sarabia (Toledo Whitmer) Sophomore – PB5
11. Ryan Kennedy (North Olmsted) Sophomore – PB7

Division 2
106 Garfield Hts
1 Yarbourgh (Copley)
3 Nelson (CVCA)
5 Bartos (Buckeye)
7 Prosperi (Canton South)
7 (113) Carone (Streetsboro).

At least you guys have wrestlebacks. In Indiana, we have semi-state before state. The first two rounds at our semi-state are lose and go home. It really sucks when there are top ranked guys meeting in one of those two rounds.
Is Indiana the only state still doing that?

Ohio didn't believe in wrestlebacks till after 87 at least...
In like 96 ish. My first year as a head coach I watched a kid from Batavia that would have been a likely state finalist hurt a kid while up like 13 in the 3rd period. The kid couldn't continue and bein from Batavia went one and out at xenia

In like 96 ish. My first year as a head coach I watched a kid from Batavia that would have been a likely state finalist hurt a kid while up like 13 in the 3rd period. The kid couldn't continue and bein from Batavia went one and out at xenia
I hate that it was another eight or nine years. 'Follow your man' hurt some cats...

In 1989, my opponent was ranked top 5 and I was top 10 and we met in first round of Sectionals. No seeding. Names drawn from hat. Dumbest thing ever.

That was in 1998. Brent Bein was DQ'd in the first round of Districts at D3 Xenia. I have not been able find district brackets anywhere for this tournament. If anyone knows where they would be found, I would love to be able to look at them.

That year Brent was projected to finish third by the infamous Mr. Brakeman. The final outcome followed his prediction exactly in order minus Brent. I would have loved to have been able to see what he could have done in the state tournament had he been able to compete.

Per 1998 Brakeman Report:
PROJECTED CHAMPION: BRIAN HAIMERL (READY)
TOP CONTENDERS
2. Davis (Loudonville)
3. Bein (Batavia)
4. Formanek (Aurora)
5. N. Coffman (Grandview Hts.)

On a side note, his son Tate Bein is competing this weekend in the D2 Wilmington district at 126 for Batavia and is projected by borofan to finish second in the district.

I might be wrong but I don't think we got wrestle backs until the tournament went to the Nutter Arena in '91.
I know my son was on the wrong side in 88 and 89.

Correct, but it was still follow your man for the first round. There were wrestle backs for every one else, but those that lost first round and the guy that beat them lost in the quarters. Those guys went 0-1 and were done. I believe as stated above you, true double elimination started in the 98/99 season when it went to the Shott.

Correct, but it was still follow your man for the first round. There were wrestle backs for every one else, but those that lost first round and the guy that beat them lost in the quarters. Those guys went 0-1 and were done. I believe as stated above you, true double elimination started in the 98/99 season when it went to the Shott.
I would never dispute what you write. All I know is that, it SUCKED!!

I think the district tournament went double elimination right around the same time state did.

The first set of wrestle-back they had was finalist carry, and right before they went full double-elim it was semifinalists carry (i.e. you lose to a semifinalist you get pulled back in the tournament). I forget the exact years on each of those.