Top teams in NW Ohio 2022

This makes the talent squandering by Dave Hall hurt even worse. Time for a coach that actually wants to coach kids. It’s crazy how many kids from Perrysburg have way better college baseball careers than they did high school baseball careers.

I believe Northview is only the third team from what I would call “Northwest Ohio” to play for a state title since Defiance (‘13, ‘15, ‘16) and Tinora (‘14) combined to win four consecutive state titles from ‘13-‘16. They’re joining Anthony Wayne in ‘18 and Archbold last season. The wildcats will be looking to become the first NLL team to win a state championship in baseball. Pretty incredible run considering NV hadn’t won a district title in their history entering this season.

This makes the talent squandering by Dave Hall hurt even worse. Time for a coach that actually wants to coach kids. It’s crazy how many kids from Perrysburg have way better college baseball careers than they did high school baseball careers.
They were league champions and lost 3-2 to this NV team in a single elimination tournament. I’d like to hear what pitchers they have had that went on to “way better” college careers than high school because that’s what wins in the tournament. Perrysburg has made 2 final four runs in the last 20 years with 1 championship appearance. Most teams would take that in a heartbeat, including every other boys sports team at Perrysburg. Dave Hall is an excellent coach and as a Maumee alum I hope the PB school board listens to you.

They were league champions and lost 3-2 to this NV team in a single elimination tournament. I’d like to hear what pitchers they have had that went on to “way better” college careers than high school because that’s what wins in the tournament. Perrysburg has made 2 final four runs in the last 20 years with 1 championship appearance. Most teams would take that in a heartbeat, including every other boys sports team at Perrysburg. Dave Hall is an excellent coach and as a Maumee alum I hope the PB school board listens to you.
Dave Hall is not a good coach. Ask anyone whose played for him or area college coaches. He does not even try to teach/coach kids. The team has had success, but given the collegiate talent on the roster year after year: they have underachieved every year since 2011. It’s a disservice to the talented kids that go through the program to have a coach that is not of the same caliber. Les Miles won a championship as a coach and everyone knows it was all about the talent and had nothing to do with coaching.

Dave Hall is not a good coach. Ask anyone whose played for him or area college coaches. He does not even try to teach/coach kids. The team has had success, but given the collegiate talent on the roster year after year: they have underachieved every year since 2011. It’s a disservice to the talented kids that go through the program to have a coach that is not of the same caliber. Les Miles won a championship as a coach and everyone knows it was all about the talent and had nothing to do with coaching.
5 league championships after ‘11 in one of the best baseball leagues in the state with 2 regional appearances. The tournament is tough to navigate unless you have a dominant ace or two which they haven’t had. I’m sure you think he just throws 9 guys out there and hopes for the best though. I know many guys who’ve played for him, you sound like a guy who either didn’t get to play for him, at least not much, or a dad of someone who didn’t.

5 league championships after ‘11 in one of the best baseball leagues in the state with 2 regional appearances. The tournament is tough to navigate unless you have a dominant ace or two which they haven’t had. I’m sure you think he just throws 9 guys out there and hopes for the best though. I know many guys who’ve played for him, you sound like a guy who either didn’t get to play for him, at least not much, or a dad of someone who didn’t.
Speculate about me all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that Hall’s teams have consistently underperformed relative to talent. There are multiple kids since 2011 that had great college careers that Hall never pitched. He does not develop kids. The vast majority of kids at Perrysburg have sought out private pitching and hitting coaches over the years because of this. If you win the NLL, which per your words is a tough league, you should make it out of the district far more often. The kids at PHS deserve better, that’s all I care about.

Speculate about me all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that Hall’s teams have consistently underperformed relative to talent. There are multiple kids since 2011 that had great college careers that Hall never pitched. He does not develop kids. The vast majority of kids at Perrysburg have sought out private pitching and hitting coaches over the years because of this. If you win the NLL, which per your words is a tough league, you should make it out of the district far more often. The kids at PHS deserve better, that’s all I care about.
Are you the same guy that tried to get him fired for not playing Catholic kids? Regardless, if you honestly feel this way, is this really the avenue in which you believe is the best for your agenda? You should take your concerns to a school board meeting, unless putting your real name behind your opinions is too much to ask. It shouldnt be, considering you are publicly attacking a coach who has served the community for which you care so deeply, for 4 decades.

Are you the same guy that tried to get him fired for not playing Catholic kids? Regardless, if you honestly feel this way, is this really the avenue in which you believe is the best for your agenda? You should take your concerns to a school board meeting, unless putting your real name behind your opinions is too much to ask. It shouldnt be, considering you are publicly attacking a coach who has served the community for which you care so deeply, for 4 decades.
Yep, Cal Smith here, jk. A sports message board seems like the perfect place to talk about coaching performance. Hall is buddies with too many admins in the district and board members for them to ever even consider replacing him (textbook poor organizational dynamic).Attacking? Stating the fact that he is not a hands on instructor of a coach? Stating the fact that there have been many players who have had notably better college careers? Stating the fact that lots of private hitting and pitching coaches were hired because people felt there was a lack of instruction at practice? So no one criticize someone because they’ve had a job for 40 years? When you care about a community you want to solve problems in it and that always involves criticism. Should no one ever bring up any issues in a community because you think it’s not nice? I did not insult or criticize his character, nor him personally. The only speculation or opinion in my words was that of underperforming relative to the # of collegiate players that have gone through the program and even that is partially data based.

I believe Northview is only the third team from what I would call “Northwest Ohio” to play for a state title since Defiance (‘13, ‘15, ‘16) and Tinora (‘14) combined to win four consecutive state titles from ‘13-‘16. They’re joining Anthony Wayne in ‘18 and Archbold last season. The wildcats will be looking to become the first NLL team to win a state championship in baseball. Pretty incredible run considering NV hadn’t won a district title in their history entering this season.
Clay won a state title in 1979. Toledo Start of course won a couple (94’ and 00’?). I believe Start was also runner up at least once, could be twice. Maumee had their memorable run under Coutcher not long ago. Perrysburg actually made it to the title game and lost in 2010? 2011? With Delas. And of course no Gibsonburg had that wild season that has been documented in the 00’s. This is off of my head and I know there are others.

Yep, Cal Smith here, jk. A sports message board seems like the perfect place to talk about coaching performance. Hall is buddies with too many admins in the district and board members for them to ever even consider replacing him (textbook poor organizational dynamic).Attacking? Stating the fact that he is not a hands on instructor of a coach? Stating the fact that there have been many players who have had notably better college careers? Stating the fact that lots of private hitting and pitching coaches were hired because people felt there was a lack of instruction at practice? So no one criticize someone because they’ve had a job for 40 years? When you care about a community you want to solve problems in it and that always involves criticism. Should no one ever bring up any issues in a community because you think it’s not nice? I did not insult or criticize his character, nor him personally. The only speculation or opinion in my words was that of underperforming relative to the # of collegiate players that have gone through the program and even that is partially data based.
Not saying any of this is wrong but you sound like one butt hurt dad.

Baseball is a short season played in miserable weather. The Tigers, as bad as they are, can beat the Yankees on any given day.

Hall has been around as HC since the 90’s right? He has to be leaving soon anyway. One thing is for sure, when he does step aside, there will be a fight amongst talented coaches for that gig.

Northview beat Clay 3-2 in 8 innings. NWOhio was really tough this year. IMO Northview, AW, Perrysburg, BG, Clay, and even SJ on a good night with Magers on the bump could beat each other on any given day depending on how the ball bounced.

Sparkza is a good young coach. I hope they can pull it out. Would be awesome for the area.

Bellevue won Class AA in 85. The High School is in Sandusky County and much of Bellevue City School District is in Seneca County. Both considered Northwest Ohio Counties

I don't think limited hands on instruction is exclusive to Perrysburg. The coaches are limited in how much and when they can actually instruct. Once the season starts, they don't have time to spend one on one with players. The season is short and they have lots to put in place before the games start. Parents are hiring outside instructors because they can get 30 minutes of dedicated time that they would NEVER be able to get during the limited instruction time available at the HS level. Players today have to spend time outside of team activities getting better.

Clay won a state title in 1979. Toledo Start of course won a couple (94’ and 00’?). I believe Start was also runner up at least once, could be twice. Maumee had their memorable run under Coutcher not long ago. Perrysburg actually made it to the title game and lost in 2010? 2011? With Delas. And of course no Gibsonburg had that wild season that has been documented in the 00’s. This is off of my head and I know there are others.
My post was only talking about the last 8 years or so. Since 2000 teams to reach the finals include Maumee and Ottawa Hills in ‘01, Start and Archbold in ‘05, Elmwood ‘07, Perrysburg ‘11, AW ‘18 and Archbold ‘21 (Wapak and LCC are a stretch for “NWO” but both made it in ‘12 Wapak again in ‘18). Champions from the area include Defiance ‘13, ‘15, ‘16, Tinora ‘14, Patrick Henry in ‘08 and ‘09, Gibsonburg ‘05, and Start ‘00

Last edited:
Winning the league is about pitching depth and team depth, winning the tournament is about top level pitching and clutch hitting. I’d take BG, SJJ, SFS, and AW’s best pitchers over Perrysburg’s the last decade, heck even Maumee (though mostly as a D2 team) has had as much top level pitching. Perrysburg has and continues to have as deep a roster as anybody though. Yes, developing pitchers is part of the job but other than Held at Defiance I can’t think of anyone else churning out D1 pitchers.

I don't think limited hands on instruction is exclusive to Perrysburg. The coaches are limited in how much and when they can actually instruct. Once the season starts, they don't have time to spend one on one with players. The season is short and they have lots to put in place before the games start. Parents are hiring outside instructors because they can get 30 minutes of dedicated time that they would NEVER be able to get during the limited instruction time available at the HS level. Players today have to spend time outside of team activities getting better.
I believe, at some point, travel ball will supersede HS ball for this reason. HS baseball has become a largely white middle class sport (like hockey) in crappy weather for a relatively short season. You take kids and hand them off to a HS who by and large has no clue of where these kids play or what competition they’ve seen. It is changing with younger coaches like Sparkza, Donley, Phillips, and Fisher but it is not the same. SF and SJ both have stud hockey kids who play up in Detroit and Windsor. Baseball will become the same.

A lot of credit should be given to pitchers Zimmerman and Bradford of Northview. In their tournament games they have given up 1, 1, 2, 1, 1 and 2 runs, 8 total in 6 games against Ashland, Clay, Perrysburg, Anthony Wayne, St. Ignatious and Kenston.

It should be noted that Grove City has only allowed 4 runs in their 6 tourney games while throwing 4 shutouts. Clearly both teams have pitched incredibly well with solid defense to back them. Hopefully the Wildcats can scratch in enough runs to pull it off this afternoon.

Not saying any of this is wrong but you sound like one butt hurt dad.

Baseball is a short season played in miserable weather. The Tigers, as bad as they are, can beat the Yankees on any given day.

Hall has been around as HC since the 90’s right? He has to be leaving soon anyway. One thing is for sure, when he does step aside, there will be a fight amongst talented coaches for that gig.
I thought I read in the Blade the other day that Hall has been a head coach since the early 80s, although probably at another school? Anyway, he could be 12th or 13th in all-time wins in Ohio (this list is not totally accurate and changes annually, obviously), scroll down to the coaching wins section.

Congrats to Northview! Sparkza doing what Hall couldn’t do in 40+ years.
Was Mark Nell a failure at AW? Only one state final appearance for him as well.

It’s people like you that make finding and keeping good coaches nearly impossible these days. Nothing is ever good enough and even if you win someone will still complain about how you did it or who didn’t get to play. How many high school or college games have you coached in any sport? My wild guess is 0

Last edited:
It does take a lot of luck to win a state title in baseball. I feel like it's harder to win baseball than most other sports, because no one position can affect a game in sports like a pitcher can in baseball.

Was Mark Nell a failure at AW? Only one state final appearance for him as well.

It’s people like you that make finding and keeping good coaches nearly impossible these days. Nothing is ever good enough and even if you win someone will still complain about how you did it or who didn’t get to play. How many high school or college games have you coached in any sport? My wild guess is 0
Or maybe it’s just time for a guy who doesn’t put forth the effort he used to, to walk away. All of the coaches at PHS run summer camps for their different sports. Hall hasn’t had a summer camp in over a decade. If he’s not willing to put in the effort he used to it’s time to hang ‘em up.

Who are the PBurg guys with better college than high school careers?

Not being a smart "donkey", just have not followed high school/college baseball as close as I used too.

Hall was at Pburg back when I played - he knew everything about every team/player. Always seemed to have a passion for the game/history. That was a loooooong time ago.

Or maybe it’s just time for a guy who doesn’t put forth the effort he used to, to walk away. All of the coaches at PHS run summer camps for their different sports. Hall hasn’t had a summer camp in over a decade. If he’s not willing to put in the effort he used to it’s time to hang ‘em up.
If you are using the lack of a summer camp as a criteria, you will be getting rid of many coaches. This would included the recently crowned state champion coach at NV.

I’m not sure many schools have a baseball summer camp. I’ve only heard of a winter “camp” in Maumee just before the high school season starts. Their basketball and football programs traditionally host a summer camp. I think with all of the baseball already going on in the summer for kids it can make a camp unfeasible.

If you are using the lack of a summer camp as a criteria, you will be getting rid of many coaches. This would included the recently crowned state champion coach at NV.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense. Maybe at a small school like Northwood or Gibsonburg where you're trying to drive interest. Perrysburg is a large, affluent district and there'll always be a deep pool of kids who've played travel and worked with private coaches since they were 8 or 9. It doesn't make sense to have a "camp" other than maybe to fundraise for spring break trips.

Does it suck for the kids whose families can't afford to fund their own development? Sure. At least Hall doesn't run his own club and insist that the girls, er kids, play for him in order to get any varsity time.