Too Many Teams in the Playoffs?

Didn't ohsaa restructure the divisions for competitive balance not even a decade ago so there weren't blowouts in the 1st rd playoffs?.....now they go to 16 per region?...lol

Definitely watered down!
Some of these teams are they really worthy of even getting in?
Canton Glenoak clinched a spot with wins against Shaker hts,Green and Louisville. Not exactly what you call quality wins. Unless you are going off of name.Then Louisville would be quality and Green would be for what they did last year.
I agree. Probably should be only 8 again. Look at Perry it's even worse. They made it in and GO killed them. They had 1 win in the Fed. That's a joke to make the playoffs. Green and Jackson had 2 wins like GO in the Fed and shouldn't be in it either.

Who's being punished if D1 was at 8, the bad teams?
You seriously are struggling to read at this point.

I'm fine with all divisions going to 8 per region. That's how it should be. You said that in post 109 of this thread

I'm not fine with D1 having a different format for the playoffs than the other divisions. It isn't our fault that teams ran away from D1 and others wanted a 7th division added

You just said above that nobody is arguing for D1 to have less teams in the playoffs. Now you are talking out both sides of your mouth and doing that very thing.

If you aren't saying that, then stop quoting me and trying to argue. I've said from the beginning that all divisions should have the same format and it should be 8 per region and not 16. If the 9th,10th etc teams in D1 regions are bad then how about d5-d7....

Last edited:
What is that flat fee? I’m guessing it’s pretty high if you know it surpasses the per-ticket cut no matter how many tickets were sold?
One AD told me the money was low enough that from his perspective he'd rather go on the road for the playoffs. The money wasn't worth the work required.

Don't go and make everybody happy.

That the whole point.
Where are you going where the food is expensive? I’ve been to numerous HS sporting events over the years and I have never thought the concessions were overpriced. In fact, I usually think the opposite.

What is that flat fee? I’m guessing it’s pretty high if you know it surpasses the per-ticket cut no matter how many tickets were sold?
In the first round it’s $1,000. It goes up after that, but I don’t recall if it starts going up in the second round or the third (neutral sites).

the per-ticket cut was only $1, and that was only pre-sale that the schools sold themselves. there are lots of schools that didn’t sell 1,000 tickets.

Talked with a guy I know from Fulton County who said it used to be the top 2 teams from each region and then the top 4 teams for a while...then the OHSAA figured out they could make a lot more money and now they are giving out playoff spots like participation trophies...lol

Talked with a guy I know from Fulton County who said it used to be the top 2 teams from each region and then the top 4 teams for a while...then the OHSAA figured out they could make a lot more money and now they are giving out playoff spots like participation trophies...lol
lol

Anybody got the time to formulate an approximation of the delta in revenue the OHSAA will see from the '22 tournament compared to any previous 8-team 'normal' year?

I like 12 teams.... here is my breakdown:
Top 4 teams in each region get a bye. Allow those teams to rest for a week. All teams need that this time of year. This also protects the top 4 teams' players to not get injured in one of the 'lopsided wins' that many have referred to already.

First round: (all of these games play into a top 4 team) You could even determine 2nd round games based on who wins.
Seed 5 vs. 12
Seed 6 vs. 11
Seed 7 vs. 10
Seed 8 vs. 9

Thoughts? It kind of is a balance between the 8-team and 16-team set ups and eliminates a lot of the teams with losing records.
I think that's the way to go. Makes sense especially in ultra-competitive regions.

Hello I Like Money 25102022125657.jpg

Think of this from a basketball coaches perspective. You are setting them back with no practice time, no healing time for the kids bodies and etc. This is from a smaller division perspective. This is terrible!

Think of this from a basketball coaches perspective. You are setting them back with no practice time, no healing time for the kids bodies and etc. This is from a smaller division perspective. This is terrible!
You're not though, the football season was moved up a week from what it normally would start, so there is no difference.

Correct, 4 mil from just the first round. Revenue, not profit.
4M from 224 games at a $10 ticket comes out to an average attendance of 1785 per game. Some attendance will be higher and some will be way lower, so that may be a good estimate.

Without this new first round, in order to generate the same revenue of 4M, what would be the required increase in the average ticket price for the 'standard' 5 rounds? Not sure if that can be answered without some historic attendance figures, but still curious.

4M from 224 games at a $10 ticket comes out to an average attendance of 1785 per game. Some attendance will be higher and some will be way lower, so that may be a good estimate.

Without this new first round, in order to generate the same revenue of 4M, what would be the required increase in the average ticket price for the 'standard' 5 rounds? Not sure if that can be answered without some historic attendance figures, but still curious.
That is hard to answer because each round has half as many games, so it would be a significant increase to get that much revenue.

however, the first round also has the most expenses. Double the sites to pay, double the refs, etc etc. so to reach the same PROFIT, probably achievable

If you can't get into the top 8 you don't deserve to be there.

6-4 and feeling entitled to a playoff spot?
Strange use of entitled. If your quoting my post then use the word grateful. It’s high school football, not the NFL. Relax man, enjoy the 1 extra week of football.

Every playoff expansion since 1999 has been ridiculous. Go back to 32 teams in six divisions. Get rid of the regions, and life is good.

And if there's not enough money to operate...

Unless someone is showing OHSAA is making more money than needed or individuals being enriched, it's an empty refrain to complain they're trying to make money.
You mean private organizations are allowed to try and make money? What do you think this is, America?