Too Many Teams in the Playoffs?

Capitalism at its finest, right? If there’s a market for the product, it’ll happen.
That's the thing, they have a captive market with parents of players and bands. They can charge them $10 each for a game that will be 50-0 at halftime but they know the parents will still be there so it's going to make money no matter what.

Way too many teams, 8 was perfect. Expensive tickets, food, parking for so many lop-sided games.

It is nice kids get the opportunity to participate, though.
Wow, you think tickets, food and parking is expensive for hs football? You don't get out much. I think it a great bargain for my dollar.

Everyone complains about the OHSAA just wanting more money but the same thing has happened in basketball and volleyball with the schools themselves. They extended their seasons to 22 games a few years ago for what reason? To make more money on the gates.

Lol....the OHSAA gives less money to the schools now than they ever did
Want to back that up with any actual figures? It’s all on the OHSAA website. Where do you think all the money the OHSAA takes in actually goes? Less than 20% is to staff salary/benefits. Majority of it is going right back to the schools via host fees, insurance, etc

I have followed West Branch football for decades . If you go back just starting in the 90’s till now , I can tell you even with a fading old memory exactly which WB teams I was disappointed didn’t make the playoffs because I felt the at the very least would have been very competitive. ‘93, ‘95 , ‘96, ‘97 and maybe ‘92. None of them finished worse than 8th. I know with the Ursulines of the world you’ll have your exceptions but most teams past #8 aren’t going to be competitive and being a part of a massive mismatch isn’t good for either team.

Last edited:
Wow, you think tickets, food and parking is expensive for hs football? You don't get out much. I think it a great bargain for my dollar.
The district in which I teach has a two hour travel time for their play-off game. We have over 50% free and reduced lunch families in our small rural district and those are just the ones who fill out the paperwork. This is an encumbrance for many people.

A family of 4, $12 for students and $15 for adults. that would be about $54 for tickets, $5 for parking, a two hour trip both ways would burn some fuel at about 3.89 a gallon. Dinner or dogs, drinks, and popcorn at the game? Approaching $75-80 or so?

To watch your team get housed by 5 touchdowns.

On Drew Pasteur 167/224 games are predicted to be 2 touchdown or more victories and the 2 touchdown spread is with 80% likelihood. One has to ask if it is a good value for their money?

I feel for the kids and the families who, in my district, and I'm sure in many others, don't have that kind of discretionary income to have a night out like that.

My family is lucky to not have that concern, I'm glad you are able to as well but I see the burden of poverty on a daily basis and know it isn't that easy for many people.

The district in which I teach has a two hour travel time for their play-off game. We have over 50% free and reduced lunch families in our small rural district and those are just the ones who fill out the paperwork. This is an encumbrance for many people.

A family of 4, $12 for students and $15 for adults. that would be about $54 for tickets, $5 for parking, a two hour trip both ways would burn some fuel at about 3.89 a gallon. Dinner or dogs, drinks, and popcorn at the game? Approaching $75-80 or so?

To watch your team get housed by 5 touchdowns.

On Drew Pasteur 167/224 games are predicted to be 2 touchdown or more victories and the 2 touchdown spread is with 80% likelihood. One has to ask if it is a good value for their money?

I feel for the kids and the families who, in my district, and I'm sure in many others, don't have that kind of discretionary income to have a night out like that.

My family is lucky to not have that concern, I'm glad you are able to as well but I see the burden of poverty on a daily basis and know it isn't that easy for many people.
It's a terrible thing that people are allowed to do what they want.

16 yes is to many per region. But at least break it down into districts. Travel for teams to play a 1st round away game shouldn't be ridiculous. Malvern has to go 4+ hours for a game. Either do 8 districts per region or go to top 64 in state per division gets in playoffs and everyone has to travel to play a road game. It's watered down enough now where strength of regions are not the reason teams are not making playoffs.

My son's team went 4-6 and made the playoffs. I know a lot of people are saying it's too many but nobody really cares what anyone thinks but the kids. I don't know about other teams in Ohio but I can tell you my son is glad to being playing an additional game. To me it's all about the kids. If you ask them they want to play an 11th game. Also with them being 4-6, 5 of their losses come at a total of 13 points. That's 5 losses with an average of 2.6 points per game. Each game could have went the other way and they could have been easily 9-1. I wouldn't want to play this team in the first round if I was another coach. If they show up and play lights out like I have seen them play against really good teams, they could surprise someone.

Division one is really the only division that is a problem. There are only 17 teams in a region so the records look bad when a 1-9 school makes it. The majority of the other divisions have one team with a losing record and most of those are 4-6. I think it is awesome they are letting these teams in so that their seniors can play one more game. This enables teams that get a player injured not to rush back to try and make the playoffs. It's awesome for the kids.

Top 4 or 8 works just fine with a perfect gauge or rating system. Harbins are anything but perfect. Just looking at D3 R10, taking the top 8 b Harbins would've eliminated 5-5 Padua who Drew Pasteur favors to beat the #7 seed. I'd rather see more teams, especially D2 - D7, encourage schools to schedule tougher competition, and settle who's best on the field.

Division one is really the only division that is a problem. There are only 17 teams in a region so the records look bad when a 1-9 school makes it. The majority of the other divisions have one team with a losing record and most of those are 4-6. I think it is awesome they are letting these teams in so that their seniors can play one more game. This enables teams that get a player injured not to rush back to try and make the playoffs. It's awesome for the kids.
FYI a one win team in D2 made it and in same region a team that got blown out in every conference game also made it.

16 yes is to many per region. But at least break it down into districts. Travel for teams to play a 1st round away game shouldn't be ridiculous. Malvern has to go 4+ hours for a game. Either do 8 districts per region or go to top 64 in state per division gets in playoffs and everyone has to travel to play a road game. It's watered down enough now where strength of regions are not the reason teams are not making playoffs.
Stop trying to make "districts" happen. It's not going to happen.

My son's team went 4-6 and made the playoffs. I know a lot of people are saying it's too many but nobody really cares what anyone thinks but the kids. I don't know about other teams in Ohio but I can tell you my son is glad to being playing an additional game. To me it's all about the kids. If you ask them they want to play an 11th game. Also with them being 4-6, 5 of their losses come at a total of 13 points. That's 5 losses with an average of 2.6 points per game. Each game could have went the other way and they could have been easily 9-1. I wouldn't want to play this team in the first round if I was another coach. If they show up and play lights out like I have seen them play against really good teams, they could surprise someone.
What team is it, I’d like to follow this game.

What team is it, I’d like to follow this game.
Lebanon.PNG

My guess.
Does look like a very competitive team and season for Lebanon. A few more wins and they don't have to face West first round. Not that R4 is easy anywhere.

View attachment 35285
My guess.
Does look like a very competitive team and season for Lebanon. A few more wins and they don't have to face West first round. Not that R4 is easy anywhere.
Yeah they had some competitive games with some good teams, but also loss to a 4-6 Loveland 5-5 Anderson and beat a 5-5 west Clermont by a Touchdown, so I’d say their record is pretty fair for this region. It is a good region, but I’ll stand with the 8 teams is idea and 16 is way too many, I’ll root for them though, but kinda feel this might support my point nevertheless go Warriors.

I think the main issue is in d-1. I am fine with 16 in rest of divisions where you at least have 28 teams. But in d-1 , its a joke letting a 1-9 team in and only one or two teams dont make it in each region. Everybody gets a blue ribbon or trophy generation seeping into OHSAA football. Try something crazy like winning enough games to make playoffs and earn it. Not allowed in todays society.