Toledo Area Basketball 23-24

25-19 Garfield Heights. Both teams combined are 1 three pointer on like 10+ attempts. Panthers kinda getting eaten alive in the post but still holding their own.

Whitmer up 38-33 heading into the 4th. McLeod hits two 3s and GH's big Davis gets T'd up on a shooting foul, causing a huge 4 point swing. Hold on Panthers!

Refs screwed up west committed 5 fouls. and still in the game.
From cleveland.com. Re-printed because it's for subscribers only:

Garfield Heights might have reason to submit a formal complaint to the Ohio High School Athletic Association about its 49-47 loss Saturday in the Division I regional finals because Toledo Whitmer’s leading scorer played in the final 2 minutes, 50 seconds after committing his fifth foul.

Players are disqualified after their fifth foul in high school basketball, but that did not happen with Whitmer junior guard Antione West during this regional final at the University of Toledo’s Savage Arena. See the five fouls in the video above committed by West, who wears No. 2 and scored a game-high 21 points.

The home scorebook, obtained Saturday after the game by cleveland.com, lists only four fouls for West. Three came in the third quarter, but one of the final two are not listed in the book for the fourth quarter, which can be seen in chronological order in the above video. The two fourth-quarter fouls are committed by West on Garfield Heights sophomore guard Marcus Johnson. His initial third-quarter foul came while defending Johnson on a drive to the basket, followed by a second foul in the corner while defending Carter Jackson. Foul No. 3 came while defending forward Deandre Jones.

Following West’s final foul, he hit two free throws at the 1:17 mark to extend the Panthers’ lead to 47-42.

The Bulldogs (25-2) rallied to pull even at 47-all before West took a shot in the final three seconds, which led to two putback attempts by Whitmer players. The final one fell through the hoop, advancing the Panthers to Saturday night’s state semifinals in Dayton against Centerville, which also won on a shot in the final seconds of overtime against Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller.

Last edited:
From cleveland.com. Re-printed because it's for subscribers only:

Garfield Heights might have reason to submit a formal complaint to the Ohio High School Athletic Association about its 49-47 loss Saturday in the Division I regional finals because Toledo Whitmer’s leading scorer played in the final 2 minutes, 50 seconds after committing his fifth foul.

Players are disqualified after their fifth foul in high school basketball, but that did not happen with Whitmer junior guard Antione West during this regional final at the University of Toledo’s Savage Arena. See the five fouls in the video above committed by West, who wears No. 2 and scored a game-high 21 points.

The home scorebook, obtained Saturday after the game by cleveland.com, lists only four fouls for West. Three came in the third quarter, but one of the final two are not listed in the book for the fourth quarter, which can be seen in chronological order in the above video. The two fourth-quarter fouls are committed by West on Garfield Heights sophomore guard Marcus Johnson. His initial third-quarter foul came while defending Johnson on a drive to the basket, followed by a second foul in the corner while defending Carter Jackson. Foul No. 3 came while defending forward Deandre Jones.

Following West’s final foul, he hit two free throws at the 1:17 mark to extend the Panthers’ lead to 47-42.

The Bulldogs (25-2) rallied to pull even at 47-all before West took a shot in the final three seconds, which led to two putback attempts by Whitmer players. The final one fell through the hoop, advancing the Panthers to Saturday night’s state semifinals in Dayton against Centerville, which also won on a shot in the final
So if the foul screw-up did occur, how does the visiting book NOT bring it up?

On the broadcast they noted that West appeared to pick up his fifth foul, but that the officials assigned that foul to somebody else after conferring. Yes, he gets whistled for it but they assessed it to somebody else.

Pretty weak that they're bringing it up the Tuesday after the game was finished.

So, wonder what coach Sonny will do?
I would imagine that he's been talking to the PD reporter as from past reporting, they seem to have a good relationship

Oh Sonny. After the game he said he felt like "it would take a little extra to come out to Toledo and win" now I know what he meant. Like someone already said if the away book had 5 then they shouldve made a big stink about it in game not now. Im also old enough to remember when he initially tweeted he was thinking Twinsburg which would not have lead him down this road but I digress. St Johns did just fine coming over here last year..

Pretty sure that in a regional (or state) game the OHSAA has an "official" book also....I don't think it's a home/away book situation like a regular season game.
Oh Sonny. After the game he said he felt like "it would take a little extra to come out to Toledo and win" now I know what he meant. Like someone already said if the away book had 5 then they shouldve made a big stink about it in game not now. Im also old enough to remember when he initially tweeted he was thinking Twinsburg which would not have lead him down this road but I digress. St Johns did just fine coming over here last year..
Fairly certain that Regionals and State have an "official" statistician, that is computeried..... they don't use the home and away books. They have a "stat sheet" printed to hand out to the media a couple minutes after the 2nd quarter ends......no way they could do that if they are only using home and away books.

Pretty sure that in a regional (or state) game the OHSAA has an "official" book also....I don't think it's a home/away book situation like a regular season game.

Fairly certain that Regionals and State have an "official" statistician, that is computeried..... they don't use the home and away books. They have a "stat sheet" printed to hand out to the media a couple minutes after the 2nd quarter ends......no way they could do that if they are only using home and away books.
Great point. Pretty weak stuff from Garfield and the reporter IMO

It’s pretty simple. I am pretty sure the mistake is not in the book but the ref assessing the foul to the wrong player. Which Garfield Heights bench should have recognized.

I don’t think it’s a book issue at all. The book people look at the ref the ref puts up who the foul was on. I am pretty sure all books had it down for 4 fouls at the end of the game. More than likely the ref assigned the foul to the wrong number.

From what I have seen at these tournament games, both teams keep a score book + there is the official score book managed by an official with the black-and-white striped shirt. I have seen them cross-check each other. Apparently Garfield Heights did not

This is per the OHSAA regional tournament handbook:
1710876730583.png