Toledo Area Basketball 23-24

What info does anyone have on MVCD? I know they've got CJ Majors & Amani Dickerson - saw them play once last year in Sectionals. Heard they have a 6'10" freshman? Any other new players? Off to a 9-0 start. Only really tough test so far was to Toledo Christian but have these games coming up:

1/13 Emmanuel Christian
1/15 Perrysburg
1/20 Scott
1/27 La Lumiere
2/2 Toledo Christian
2/10 Richmond Heights
2/16 Emmanuel Christian
Neither EC or TC has what can be remotely considered to be a "good win". If MVCD wants to be considered a contender they need to beat those two by more than the 6 points they did against TC the first time. If they come within 25 of either Richmond Heights or La Lumiere they can probably consider that as a success.

Neither EC or TC has what can be remotely considered to be a "good win". If MVCD wants to be considered a contender they need to beat those two by more than the 6 points they did against TC the first time. If they come within 25 of either Richmond Heights or La Lumiere they can probably consider that as a success.

I mostly agree with this, but TC always seems to keep games close by limiting possessions when they appear to be overmatched (not that they are overmatched vs MVCD both are solid small school teams) - stay within 25 of RH and La Lum. would be a success.

Only other games on MVCD schedule that would change my opinion would be beating Scott and Perrysburg by 15+ points. Both are solid not great big school teams. If they want to make a run they need to be a lot better than those teams.

Someone mentioned the 6'10" MVCD kid- good lateral movement, has some upside beyond just being tall......but plays the game like a freshman. Can tell that he is taking all the instruction very literal like a puppet. Go from point A to point B because that is what the play tells him to do. Not reading and reacting. He will be a real nice player his Jr and Sr year.

Last edited:

In the grand scheme of things, sure. But relative to other schools their size, I think all 3 of those have a decent shot at winning a district title. TC & MVCD both in the D4 Defiance District. Probably only have to worry about Antwerp and MAYBE Patrick Henry in that district. Who would you make the favorite?

EC in the D3 Napoleon District, only have to worry about Archbold in my opinion. Archbold may be the favorite here, but pretty weak district outside of those 2.

In the grand scheme of things, sure. But relative to other schools their size, I think all 3 of those have a decent shot at winning a district title. TC & MVCD both in the D4 Defiance District. Probably only have to worry about Antwerp and MAYBE Patrick Henry in that district. Who would you make the favorite?

EC in the D3 Napoleon District, only have to worry about Archbold in my opinion. Archbold may be the favorite here, but pretty weak district outside of those 2.
By the time the tourney comes around MVCD will have played by far the toughest schedule of the three (Antwerp, TC, MVCD). If MVCD get a win over either Scott or Pburg and is at least somewhat competitive against RH or La Lumiere they would have to be the favorite to come out of Defiance I would think. Regional should be good. I'd expect Delphos St Johns to come out of Elida and LCC out of Wapak. Liberty Benton district is a toss up at this point. If LCC is on, like they were against OG, I'm not sure anyone can keep them from Columbus. LCC and St Johns play Sunday afternoon in Delphos. Should be a good one.

The Napoleon D3 district is probably the weakest it's been in 10 years.....especially since Wayne Trace got moved to Lima Senior. Not sure it matters who comes out of Napoleon as they play the Lima Senior District winner, likely OG or Wayne Trace in the regional semi.

By the time the tourney comes around MVCD will have played by far the toughest schedule of the three (Antwerp, TC, MVCD). If MVCD get a win over either Scott or Pburg and is at least somewhat competitive against RH or La Lumiere they would have to be the favorite to come out of Defiance I would think. Regional should be good. I'd expect Delphos St Johns to come out of Elida and LCC out of Wapak. Liberty Benton district is a toss up at this point. If LCC is on, like they were against OG, I'm not sure anyone can keep them from Columbus. LCC and St Johns play Sunday afternoon in Delphos. Should be a good one.

The Napoleon D3 district is probably the weakest it's been in 10 years.....especially since Wayne Trace got moved to Lima Senior. Not sure it matters who comes out of Napoleon as they play the Lima Senior District winner, likely OG or Wayne Trace in the regional semi.
I'm with you on LCC. In Elida I think Pandora comes out of there. Really tough District but PG is really good. My regional prediction is MVCD vs LCC & Pandora vs Hopewell Loudon. Findlay district is putrid and will get destroyed at Regionals. But give me an LCC vs Pandora regional final.

I'm with you on LCC. In Elida I think Pandora comes out of there. Really tough District but PG is really good. My regional prediction is MVCD vs LCC & Pandora vs Hopewell Loudon. Findlay district is putrid and will get destroyed at Regionals. But give me an LCC vs Pandora regional final

Not sure I'm sold on PG. Unbeaten, but have played absolutely nobody. They have Ottoville this weekend, St Johns the following and then a really good Bluffton team a couple weeks later. Not sure that PG wins any of those 3. At this point I'm thinking it's St Johns and Ottoville for the District title in Elida. St Johns is at LCC this Sunday....that should be a good one. They also play Dayton Dunbar at OG on Feb 10th.

Some stats for former NWO players.

College
Zeb Jackson VCU - 13.4 PPG 4.6 Rebounds
Jamiya Neal Arizona State - 10.8 PPG 5.6 Rebounds
De'Sean Nelson DePaul - 11.4 PPG 4.6 Rebounds
Cli'ron Hornbeak Kent State 7.9 PPG 4.8 Rebounds

NBA
Vince Williams Memphis Grizzles 5.9 PPG 5.1 Rebounds

G League
Xavier Simpson Motor City Cruise 18.6 PPG 6.6 AST 4.9 Rebounds

Has anyone flown under the radar more in the Toledo area than Williams?

Last edited:
What info does anyone have on MVCD? I know they've got CJ Majors & Amani Dickerson - saw them play once last year in Sectionals. Heard they have a 6'10" freshman? Any other new players? Off to a 9-0 start. Only really tough test so far was to Toledo Christian but have these games coming up:

1/13 Emmanuel Christian
1/15 Perrysburg
1/20 Scott
1/27 La Lumiere
2/2 Toledo Christian
2/10 Richmond Heights
2/16 Emmanuel Christian
I would predict that stretch of games goes

- Loss to Emmanuel
- Pick em against Perrysburg (Pburg always good at handling pressure)
- Loss to Scott
- Blow out loss to La Lumiere
- Beat TC
- Blow out loss to Richmond Heights
- Another loss to Emmanuel.

Tough stretch of games. They do really well applying pressure and trapping. Getting out in transition. Against guards that can really handle that I think it will be a struggle for MVCD.

Heyyyyyy, but they led by 4 at one point, right?

Trolling aside, MVCD will be fun to watch for the rest of the season, especially against Emmanuel and TC. Dickerson and CJ Majors are a great 1-2 punch for that squad.
After the MV game I am officially calling for the coach's job. This man does not have any idea how to corral or prepare a basketball team. This has nothing to do with preperation but The last straws for me came with northwood down 40 something one of their players fouled a maumee valley kid and blocked his shot and stood over him and taunted him (YOU ARE DOWN 40. coach sit his a double ss on the bench for a few games) This is the culture at nortwhood now. There is no concept of team it is just me me me. And then when maumee valley finally puts there jv in for good up 47 with 3 minutes left and a running clock, Northwood has starters out there just holding tne ball, terrified that maumee valley may score 100. if you wanted to hold the ball, maybe run a little stall ball at the beginning of the game instead of letting it get into the 90's. I am sorry northwood really is pitiful and are turning into a huge embarassment. I think I am going to jump back onto the flyer bandwagon those boys play hard and the right way.

After the MV game I am officially calling for the coach's job. This man does not have any idea how to corral or prepare a basketball team. This has nothing to do with preperation but The last straws for me came with northwood down 40 something one of their players fouled a maumee valley kid and blocked his shot and stood over him and taunted him (YOU ARE DOWN 40. coach sit his a double ss on the bench for a few games) This is the culture at nortwhood now. There is no concept of team it is just me me me. And then when maumee valley finally puts there jv in for good up 47 with 3 minutes left and a running clock, Northwood has starters out there just holding tne ball, terrified that maumee valley may score 100. if you wanted to hold the ball, maybe run a little stall ball at the beginning of the game instead of letting it get into the 90's. I am sorry northwood really is pitiful and are turning into a huge embarassment. I think I am going to jump back onto the flyer bandwagon those boys play hard and the right way.
Just like that………. Reality caved in.

Some stats for former NWO players.

College
Zeb Jackson VCU - 13.4 PPG 4.6 Rebounds
Jamiya Neal Arizona State - 10.8 PPG 5.6 Rebounds
De'Sean Nelson DePaul - 11.4 PPG 4.6 Rebounds

NBA
Vince Williams Memphis Grizzles 5.9 PPG 5.1 Rebounds

G League
Xavier Simpson Motor City Cruise 18.6 PPG 6.6 AST 4.9 Rebounds

Has anyone flown under the radar more in the Toledo area than Williams?
Williams has carved out a nice role for himself. I could see him being a journeyman, but he should stick in the league for awhile if he can keep this up.

I would predict that stretch of games goes

- Loss to Emmanuel
- Pick em against Perrysburg (Pburg always good at handling pressure)
- Loss to Scott
- Blow out loss to La Lumiere
- Beat TC
- Blow out loss to Richmond Heights
- Another loss to Emmanuel.

Tough stretch of games. They do really well applying pressure and trapping. Getting out in transition. Against guards that can really handle that I think it will be a struggle for MVCD.
No way MVCD losses to EC two times.

1/13 Emmanuel Christian
1/15 Perrysburg
1/20 Scott
1/27 La Lumiere
2/2 Toledo Christian
2/10 Richmond Heights
2/16 Emmanuel Christian
5’8 Freshman Keeran Stokes starts at the PG and has been a great addition for the team. Great defensive guard who harasses ball handlers 94 feet.
Foreign exchange kid from Spain Jorge Soriano. Sr guard that does a lot of the dirty work and also can make shots.
MV also brings 4 Seniors off the bench in Drew Knorek, Sagar Joshi, Asa Karns, and Izek Royer.
This team has a very good chance in making a state run.

5’8 Freshman Keeran Stokes starts at the PG and has been a great addition for the team. Great defensive guard who harasses ball handlers 94 feet.
Foreign exchange kid from Spain Jorge Soriano. Sr guard that does a lot of the dirty work and also can make shots.
MV also brings 4 Seniors off the bench in Drew Knorek, Sagar Joshi, Asa Karns, and Izek Royer.
This team has a very good chance in making a state run.

MVCD has a good chance of winning the sectional but would likely have to play Toledo Christian and Antwerp in the district - which are toss up games at best in my eyes. They would then have to win 2 games at the regional level one a toss-up and the other as an underdog vs Lima CC.

Always a chance - but it will take their 4 best games of the year and a lot of luck for them to get to state. They are not going to clearly "out talent" any of those 4 teams.

Toledo Christian 71
Oregon Clay 59

Clay battled back from being down 16 in the 3rd to cut it to 4 in the 4th, but just couldn't get any closer. Clay is showing signs of improvement as a program which is nice to see. They are young mostly and Armstead has them headed into the right direction IMO.

Toledo Christian only plays about 6 kids. They had a 7th go in for a couple of minutes. Hopefully they can stay healthy and not get warn down for the playoff run. They have a few very good kids in Butler, Gaston, Koester, and the big 6'6" kid that the name escapes me. Butler had a huge night going for 25. He was tough. He penetrated well, hit shots from the outside, and never missed a FT.

Last edited:
Meant to post this here - deleted from other thread.

Any stabs at ranking these teams in the Toledo area leagues - I didn't include anyone from the NBC, because I can't see them beating any of these teams.

Archbold
Central Catholic
Emmanual Christian
Findlay
Lima Sr
Maumee Valley
Napoleon
Perrysburg
Scott
Southview
St. Francis
St. Johns
Start
Toledo Christian
Whitmer

Meant to post this here - deleted from other thread.

Any stabs at ranking these teams in the Toledo area leagues - I didn't include anyone from the NBC, because I can't see them beating any of these teams.

Archbold
Central Catholic
Emmanual Christian
Findlay
Lima Sr
Maumee Valley
Napoleon
Perrysburg
Scott
Southview
St. Francis
St. Johns
Start
Toledo Christian
Whitmer
I would say at this point it's Findlay.....then everybody else until someone takes them down. They have OG this Saturday. If they win that one they solidify their #1 spot. If OG wins I think they are probably #! (though you didn't include them on this list lol).

I would say at this point it's Findlay.....then everybody else until someone takes them down. They have OG this Saturday. If they win that one they solidify their #1 spot. If OG wins I think they are probably #! (though you didn't include them on this list lol).
And if you're going to include OG (and Lima Sr. is already included), you would need to add Lima Central Catholic and they would be #1 since they beat OG.

And if you're going to include OG (and Lima Sr. is already included), you would need to add Lima Central Catholic and they would be #1 since they beat OG.
Good point....but if OG beats Findlay I think OG is #1. They led LCC until the last 2 minutes...at LCC. Beating Findlay at Findlay is tough to do. I'll give you #! and #1a lol

I just narrowed it down to what I thought was the top 15 teams that I can catch on TV or in person with a short drive - and who also have a lot of crossover games to compare. Basically asked does a team at any point play in Toledo? If yes I considered them.

I would have OG and Lima CC in the top 3-5.

Hey it's my list/question :).

I just narrowed it down to what I thought was the top 15 teams that I can catch on TV or in person with a short drive - and who also have a lot of crossover games to compare. Basically asked does a team at any point play in Toledo? If yes I considered them.

I would have OG and Lima CC in the top 3-5.

Hey it's my list/question :).
Gotcha......Findlay isn't far.....but if you're heading there Saturday probably should get there early.

Rossford High School is hosting its annual MLK Showcase this upcoming Monday. I've been to all of these in the past and its actually a fun way for a high school basketball fan to spend the day in one of the top basketball venues in the Toledo area (both gyms located in the same building). The matchups aren't spectacular (Perrysburg v MVCD looks like the marquee matchup), but there's always some good individual talent on display, and we also know that evenly matched teams can deliver interesting games, regardless of talent level. Grab lunch and/or dinner at Moe's Place or Danny's located directly across from the high school. BTW, hands off Rossford's freshmen duo of Parker Theobald and John Fox. The Bulldogs are taking a beating this year, but these frosh are unquestionably VERY promising, and you'll be hearing more about them in the future, no doubt. I just hope its at RHS.

ALL DAY ADMISSION $12.00 Adults $8.00 Seniors (over 60) /Students (ages 6-18)
Junior Varsity - Jr High Gym
9:45am - Northwood vs. Maumee
11:00am - Liberty-Center vs. Waite
12:45pm - Findlay vs. Rogers
2:30pm - Perrysburg vs. MVCD
4:15pm - St. Francis vs. Bowling Green
6:00pm - Rossford vs. Evergreen

Varsity - George G. Wolfe Fieldhouse:
11:00am - Northwood vs. Maumee
12:45pm - Liberty-Center vs. Waite
2:30pm - Findlay vs. Rogers
4:15pm - Perrysburg vs. MVCD
6:00pm - St. Francis vs. Bowling Green
7:30pm - Rossford vs. Evergreen

Rossford High School is hosting its annual MLK Showcase this upcoming Monday. I've been to all of these in the past and its actually a fun way for a high school basketball fan to spend the day in one of the top basketball venues in the Toledo area (both gyms located in the same building). The matchups aren't spectacular (Perrysburg v MVCD looks like the marquee matchup), but there's always some good individual talent on display, and we also know that evenly matched teams can deliver interesting games, regardless of talent level. Grab lunch and/or dinner at Moe's Place or Danny's located directly across from the high school. BTW, hands off Rossford's freshmen duo of Parker Theobald and John Fox. The Bulldogs are taking a beating this year, but these frosh are unquestionably VERY promising, and you'll be hearing more about them in the future, no doubt. I just hope its at RHS.

ALL DAY ADMISSION $12.00 Adults $8.00 Seniors (over 60) /Students (ages 6-18)
Junior Varsity - Jr High Gym
9:45am - Northwood vs. Maumee
11:00am - Liberty-Center vs. Waite
12:45pm - Findlay vs. Rogers
2:30pm - Perrysburg vs. MVCD
4:15pm - St. Francis vs. Bowling Green
6:00pm - Rossford vs. Evergreen

Varsity - George G. Wolfe Fieldhouse:
11:00am - Northwood vs. Maumee
12:45pm - Liberty-Center vs. Waite
2:30pm - Findlay vs. Rogers
4:15pm - Perrysburg vs. MVCD
6:00pm - St. Francis vs. Bowling Green
7:30pm - Rossford vs. Evergreen

Can we get a petition going to juggle a few matchups? Findlay vs St. Francis and Rogers vs BG would make for a couple more competitive games.