Toledo Area Basketball 23-24

Never thought I would ever say this and it goes against my predictions in the Northern Buckeye but Lake actually looked pretty good. Shoot the absolute blood out of the ball. Play a decent brand of offense an interesting defense but an overall decent brand off basketball. Seem to be weak on the rebounding end which will break their back. It’s early but I am curious to see how they do against Genoa, Eastwood and Oak harbor.
Nothings changed for me…maybe Lake finishes as high as 4th but I’m sticking with these predictions
Wanted to see what happened tonight before making my final NBC standings prediction. Should see some solid play this year and about 5 of the teams will be returning most of their production next year as well.

1 Oak Harbor - Great junior class, led by one of the best players in the league in Stokes and LaLonde at PG. I think they’ll continue to prove to be the best in the league as they did tonight.
2 Genoa - Right there with Oak Harbor, they’ll have a shot to get the Rockets back later this year. Plantz is a matchup nightmare down low with Brunkhorst and Huston is always a threat from 3.
3 Eastwood - Another Junior heavy team, quick, athletic and steady guard play from Oliver and Lewis along with “bigs” Kamarchik and Badenhop that can do a little of everything make them tough. Their lack of size may haunt them against the top 2 teams though.
4 Fostoria - Good skill and decent size but not quite as deep as the top 3. The play of Johnson and Ferguson could carry them to a solid season and will make them difficult to beat.
5 Otsego - Solid senior group led by their PG Weaver and posts Balusik and Simpson. They can win against most the teams ahead of them on the right night but lack the athleticism to be a league champ threat.
6 Lake - Much improved, they’ll play some entertaining ball as they like to get up and down the floor with a lot of athletes. Another young team led by a mix of juniors and sophomores, getting stops on defense against the teams above them may be too much to ask this year.
7 Rossford - Led by two dynamic and skilled freshman Fox and Theobalds they’ll continue to improve but I’d be surprised if they can win more than a few in league this year.
8 Maumee - A junior heavy team this year as well but the sophomore Kubicz brothers may lead the charge and freshman Dodson also gives them something to work with going forward.

Last edited:
NBC Standings through 4 games
Eastwood 3-1
Fostoria 3-1
Genoa 3-1
Oak Harbor 3-1
Lake 2-2
Otsego 1-3
Rossford 1-3
Maumee 0-4

Nothings changed for me…maybe Lake finishes as high as 4th but I’m sticking with these predictions
I would say finish fourth and could possibly finish 3rd. Lost to Eastwood by 3 and then fostoria by 5 I think when I looked at max preps. They really do play good basketball and I had no clue they shot the 3 that well. Any team that shoots it like that has a chance to beat anyone. But at the same time has a great chance to get crushed by good teams if they don’t fall. I am curious how the standings will look at the end of the season.

First Whitmer game I was able to really watch all year and Findlay and Rucki put on a clinic. Whitmer could not solve the Trojan's zone which frustrated the Panthers. Every Whitmer starter looks to be about 160lbs, are not very physical, and were killed on the boards. Whitmer looked like an all-star open gym team while Findlay looked like a well rounded basketball team. The Panthers need a couple practices without a basketball.

A couple notes and questions to the Findlay folk: Javonte Hill was the best athlete on the floor last night. Is he heading anywhere for football? Montgomery is BIG. West is listed at 6'3" and Montgomery was every bit his height and looked to weight about 225lbs. And who is the Findlay big man? Good looking kid.

First Whitmer game I was able to really watch all year and Findlay and Rucki put on a clinic. Whitmer could not solve the Trojan's zone which frustrated the Panthers. Every Whitmer starter looks to be about 160lbs, are not very physical, and were killed on the boards. Whitmer looked like an all-star open gym team while Findlay looked like a well rounded basketball team. The Panthers need a couple practices without a basketball.

A couple notes and questions to the Findlay folk: Javonte Hill was the best athlete on the floor last night. Is he heading anywhere for football? Montgomery is BIG. West is listed at 6'3" and Montgomery was every bit his height and looked to weight about 225lbs. And who is the Findlay big man? Good looking kid.
Just saw Hill's put back dunk on Sportscenter. #2 play of the night.

A couple notes and questions to the Findlay folk: Javonte Hill was the best athlete on the floor last night. Is he heading anywhere for football?
I thought announcers said. I can't recall where? I'll try and get in rewatch, it was noted early in the game.

EDIT: nope, they just said first team All-Ohio. Hopefully Toledo snags him.

Coaching>recruiting?
caoching and athletes. no recruiting here

Will Cordonnier is the big kid in the middle. Grandson of long time University of Findlay head coach Ron Niekamp. Sam Ernst is son of current UF head coach Charlie Ernst. Not aware of Hill going anywhere but what an athlete he is. Montomery is definitely big. There will be bumps in the road ahead but this is a well coached team with lots of talent.

Maybe not the best basketball talent but athletes in every spot and that was pretty good team ball. "Best?" They have a WBL game coming up I think and there's some possible competition for that title not on their schedule.
Not sure who is better than Findlay......at least right now. They have won every game by 22 or more. Hadn't played anyone until last night really, but that didn't seem to matter. Whitmer went up 2-0 on a Leach dunk and then Findlay scored 11 straight to end the 1Q up 11-2. Holding Whitmer to 2 points is impressive. The overall win is even more impressive.

I don't think OG is quite as good this year as they normally are. I think Findlay handles them. Outside of OG, who would you put in the conversation with Findlay? I can't think of any other really, really good teams in NWO. Whitmer is probably the 2nd best team.

Not sure who is better than Findlay......at least right now. They have won every game by 22 or more. Hadn't played anyone until last night really, but that didn't seem to matter. Whitmer went up 2-0 on a Leach dunk and then Findlay scored 11 straight to end the 1Q up 11-2. Holding Whitmer to 2 points is impressive. The overall win is even more impressive.

I don't think OG is quite as good this year as they normally are. I think Findlay handles them. Outside of OG, who would you put in the conversation with Findlay? I can't think of any other really, really good teams in NWO. Whitmer is probably the 2nd best team.
Emmanuel Christian would be the one team in NWO that could have an argument, not saying they are better than Findlay but it would be difficult to say they’re definitely not. Want to add Maumee Valley but not sure they’re quite there.

Emmanuel Christian would be the one team in NWO that could have an argument, not saying they are better than Findlay but it would be difficult to say they’re definitely not. Want to add Maumee Valley but not sure they’re quite there.
Findlay beat Anthony Wayne on the road by 30. EC beat them by 12 at home. Findlay destroyed Whitmer last night. MVCD has played absolutely nobody. Quite a stretch to think either of them is close to Findlay at this point.

Findlay beat Anthony Wayne on the road by 30. EC beat them by 12 at home. Findlay destroyed Whitmer last night. MVCD has played absolutely nobody. Quite a stretch to think either of them is close to Findlay at this point.
Southview beat Perrysburg and Northview by 3, Perrysburg beat Northview by 20. Transitive property doesn’t work, you win or you lose. EC is undefeated and if they played Findlay tomorrow nobody would be shocked if they won.

I didn't see much team in Whitmer's play. Did you?
My comment in context about Findlay, I was refering to "team" as in style of play, not as in favored to win.

As for the "independents," I've not seen enough to know their talent level, whether they're playing well as a team or not. Other than Lima CC (upcoming game with OG) they're not exactly blowing teams out right now but as they generally play team ball, I guess I'm TBD on them.

Last edited:
Findlay hosts Lima Senior next Friday. Coach Q will have the Spartans ready for a tough rivalry game.

Southview beat Perrysburg and Northview by 3, Perrysburg beat Northview by 20. Transitive property doesn’t work, you win or you lose. EC is undefeated and if they played Findlay tomorrow nobody would be shocked if they won.
And Clay had Southview on the ropes last night.

I realize it is early but Armstead has done an impressive job thus far.

And Clay had Southview on the ropes last night.

I realize it is early but Armstead has done an impressive job thus far.
I heard Clay was fouled with under a second to go down 1. Hits the first FT and hits the second, but apparently someone from Clay got into the key too early? Then just in OT? If that's true then that's a tough loss. Clay keeps improving every game it seems. Having Walker transfer in has helped quite a bit. Unfortunately, he has to sit out the 2nd half of the season.

Perkins 15-17-13-18 - 63
Fostoria 10-20-21-10 - 61

Perkins (1-3): 25-55 FG, 10-18 FT, 3-16 3pt (Diederich 2, Koch), 38 rebounds (Boals 8), 12 turnovers. Scoring: Weston Sturzinger 3 2-2 8, Brady Lagando 2 0-0 4, Joey Diederich 6 4-8 18, Mikey Young 3 1-4 7, Tim Boals 7 1-2 15, Brennan Koelsch 2 2-2 6, Kash Koch 1 0-0 3, Noah Normington-Slay 1 0-0 2.

Fostoria (5-2): 22-45 FG, 9-13 FT, 8-21 3pt (Johnson 3, O'Neal 2, Tucker 2, Smith), 21 rebounds (Ferguson 11), 12 turnovers. Scoring: Machi Johnson 7 2-2 19, Ryan O'Neal 3 0-0 8, Kristian Carter-Stokes 2 0-2 4, Jayceon Tucker 4 5-5 15, Jordan Ferguson 5 2-4 12, Trenten Smith 1 0-0 3.

Emmanuel Christian lost to Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy by 11 tonight. Granted, CVCA is now 6-0, so they are pretty good.

Maumee Valley being better at any sport than Findlay is a reason why D4 is such a joke in basketball right now

I heard Clay was fouled with under a second to go down 1. Hits the first FT and hits the second, but apparently someone from Clay got into the key too early? Then just in OT? If that's true then that's a tough loss. Clay keeps improving every game it seems. Having Walker transfer in has helped quite a bit. Unfortunately, he has to sit out the 2nd half of the season.

Tough way to lose.

Walker transferred from St. Francis, right? What year is he?

Let's not forget that Findlay started in a similar fashion last year as well. They beat Whitmer and St. John's early and then lost to both later in the season. This weekend is a good test for them, facing Lima Senior and St. Mary's. If they sweep this weekend, that would be an impressive start for the Trojans.

Let's not forget that Findlay started in a similar fashion last year as well. They beat Whitmer and St. John's early and then lost to both later in the season. This weekend is a good test for them, facing Lima Senior and St. Mary's. If they sweep this weekend, that would be an impressive start for the Trojans.
Lima Senor has to go to Findlay. That normally doesn't work out well. I'd think the Spartans can keep it close, but who knows. Don't see St Marys giving Findlay much of a battle. Actually won't be all that surprised if SM struggles with Spencerville on Friday. It's a rivalry game.....and S-ville got them last year 65-61. Can see both Findlay and SM being a little big tired going into Saturday night's game

Last edited: