Toledo Area Basketball 23-24

Please report details. Will be interested in hearing how/if Whitmer gels with so much talent.
This is all that I have seen thus far

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 9.57.52 AM.png

Maumee Valley vs Sandusky HS
Scrimmage at Maumee Valley @6pm today

Sandusky is a good program finished top 5 in the State D2 ranking and made it to Regionals last year, they loss two good seniors but still should be good this year. They moved up to D1 In basketball.

MVCD has two good senior guards with a mix of some young talent. Prep hoops has them as a top 10 D4 team in the pre season state rankings.

Once again, ya'll have been sleeping on the Northwood Rangers. They've laid the wood to 3 larger schools in scrimmages so far in Southview, Rossford, and in the battle of the North's, Northview. Stay sleep on these boys. They are coming for a league title and with there talent makeup could be a top 10 in all divisions in Northwest Ohio. I dont see many chances where they play a game within 15, outside of there games against TC.

Maumee Valley vs Sandusky HS
Scrimmage at Maumee Valley @6pm today

Sandusky is a good program finished top 5 in the State D2 ranking and made it to Regionals last year, they loss two good seniors but still should be good this year. They moved up to D1 In basketball.

MVCD has two good senior guards with a mix of some young talent. Prep hoops has them as a top 10 D4 team in the pre season state rankings.
I’m curious how good the 6’8” freshman will be.

Once again, ya'll have been sleeping on the Northwood Rangers. They've laid the wood to 3 larger schools in scrimmages so far in Southview, Rossford, and in the battle of the North's, Northview. Stay sleep on these boys. They are coming for a league title and with there talent makeup could be a top 10 in all divisions in Northwest Ohio. I dont see many chances where they play a game within 15, outside of there games against TC.
IMG_9925.png

Ok.

Perrysburg scrimmaging Defiance tonight.
Scrimmaged Emmanual Christian in the last week and beat them, but heard that EC is still going to be pretty good. Pburg has Elyria next Tuesday.

My report is they hardly "laid the wood" to Rossford, who's expected to finish at or near the bottom of a weak NBC. We shall see how valid your claims are relative to beating up on SV and NV as well.

I look forward to seeing them in action. What kind of concessions do they have at Northwood?

My report is they hardly "laid the wood" to Rossford, who's expected to finish at or near the bottom of a weak NBC. We shall see how valid your claims are relative to beating up on SV and NV as well
No one can deny they Northwood won each scrimmage. They also had the most explosive player on the court. and they did this without there star point god.

My preseason picks
NBC- Oak Harbor
NLL Buckeye- Whitmer
NLL Cardinal- Southview
NWOL- Patrick Henry
TAAC- Toledo Christian
Toledo City- Lima Sr.

* Not sure how Central, SJJ, SFS will do in Detroit League if heard it’s loaded with teams.

My preseason picks
NBC- Oak Harbor
NLL Buckeye- Whitmer
NLL Cardinal- Southview
NWOL- Patrick Henry
TAAC- Toledo Christian
Toledo City- Lima Sr.

* Not sure how Central, SJJ, SFS will do in Detroit League if heard it’s loaded with teams.
I agree with everyone of those picks. As far as the Catholics in the Detroit league. I think those 3 will fight for the 3 bottom spots with SFS being at the very bottom. Those teams are loaded up there in their top division.

I heard Whitmer buzz sawed St. Francis on Tuesday night. Does anyone know what it looked like? Was SFS really really bad or was Whitmer really good?

Anyone hear how the big Lima mega scrimmage went? Also any other scrimmages in the area?
sportsguy11:

I was able to catch some of the mega scrimmage at Lima Senior today primarily because of my interest
in seeing a preview of Lima Senior's incoming freshmen and was very impressed with Shawn Foster and Noah Simpson
plus the many lettermen returning from last year's team. Having followed Lima Sr. for many years, I have to say
this may be the quickest team I have ever seen the Spartans have. I realize it's not easy to draw a lot of conclusions
from one basketball scrimmage, but this group appears to potentially be one of the best teams in many years

I'm sure it may take a while for Coach Q to settle on his basic core of 8 -9 players and there may be some youthful
mistakes early on. From what I saw today, this team appears to be the deepest squad Coach Q has ever had. Hopefully,
everyone can avoid injuries throughout the season. This will be an exciting team to watch and should be a very dangerous
team by the second half of the season, or even before.

I also saw many other talented teams on display during the scrimmage, but only was able to stay for a couple of hours
and was not able to see every team in attendance. In fact a couple of busses were just arriving as I was leaving. I am listing
the 18 schools that were listed scheduled to participate.

Lima Senior
Dayton Dunbar
Shelby
Huber Heights Wayne
Dayton Chaminade Julienne
Maumee Valley
Cinc. Taft
Cinc. Princeton
Cinc. Withrow
Westland
Northmont
Delaware Hayes
Pickerington North
Pickerington Central
Maple Hts.
Cleveland Hts.
Ferndale
Warren Lincoln

Not sure if those last two schools are from Michigan ?
Program didn't say.

JB

sportsguy11:

I was able to catch some of the mega scrimmage at Lima Senior today primarily because of my interest
in seeing a preview of Lima Senior's incoming freshmen and was very impressed with Shawn Foster and Noah Simpson
plus the many lettermen returning from last year's team. Having followed Lima Sr. for many years, I have to say
this may be the quickest team I have ever seen the Spartans have. I realize it's not easy to draw a lot of conclusions
from one basketball scrimmage, but this group appears to potentially be one of the best teams in many years

I'm sure it may take a while for Coach Q to settle on his basic core of 8 -9 players and there may be some youthful
mistakes early on. From what I saw today, this team appears to be the deepest squad Coach Q has ever had. Hopefully,
everyone can avoid injuries throughout the season. This will be an exciting team to watch and should be a very dangerous

I also saw many other talented teams on display during the scrimmage, but only was able to stay for a couple of hours
and was not able to see every team in attendance. In fact a couple of busses were just arriving as I was leaving. I am listing

Lima Senior
Dayton Dunbar
Shelby
Huber Heights Wayne
Maumee Valley
Cinc. Taft
Cinc. Princeton
Cinc. Withrow
Westland
Northmont
Delaware Hayes
Pickerington North
Pickerington Central
Maple Hts.
Cleveland Hts.
Ferndale
Warren Lincoln

Program didn't say.

JB
Yes, Ferndale and Lincoln are schools from Metro Detroit.

sportsguy11:

Lima Senior
Dayton Dunbar
Shelby
Huber Heights Wayne
Maumee Valley
Cinc. Taft
Cinc. Princeton
Cinc. Withrow
Westland
Northmont
Delaware Hayes
Pickerington North
Pickerington Central
Maple Hts.
Cleveland Hts.
Ferndale
Warren Lincoln

Program didn't say.

JB
Wow, that is a lineup.

What are the details on Shawn Foster and Noah Simpson? Grade, height, position?

sportsguy11:
.. Having followed Lima Sr. for many years, I have to say
this may be the quickest team I have ever seen the Spartans have.

JB
beejeebus,

The slow ones were a blur. WTH are they doing in City League, smh. The should have gone with the Catholics to De'troit.

Welp, been awhile since City League had someone make a run. At least there might be that.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a lineup.

What are the details on Shawn Foster and Noah Simpson? Grade, height, position?

Irish_buffalo:

Don't have complete details on Shawn Foster or Noah Simpson other than they both are freshmen and should be
varsity players from the outset. Foster, I understand is 6'4" and having seen him yesterday, I would certainly agree
that height looks to be accurate to me. Couldn't get a real gauge Simpson's height yesterday. I would assume Simpson
will be a guard, while Foster looked to me as though he could play any position without difficulty.

The "skinny" on Foster is, he really is skinny, (pun intended). Very lean, but extremely athletic. Hits treys from every angle,
numerous assists and appears he is the real deal. I understand that he and Simpson were 8th grade rivals in the Lima
junior high, system, one attending West Jr. high and the other South junior high. Foster scored over 50 points in a late season
game. Have heard from a couple of reliable sources he is being recruited by University of Cincinnati before playing a minute
at the hs level.

I do know that at one of Coach Q's basketball luncheons last season someone asked if he had any more sons
coming up and he mentioned he had an 8th grader who at this stage in his career was already ahead of where his brother Xavier was at the same time in his career, not better defensively, just offensively at the same time in his career. Still a very
good position to hold and I would think Noah has been working for the last year on closing the gap between he and X.

I have been reading on Yappi, that it sounds like Toledo Whitmer is being projected to be one of the best, if not the best in
D1 basketball in Northwest Ohio this season, and while I'm glad that Lima Senior still has a game with Whitmer at Lima on
December 12th. I just wish it was later in the season before the Spartans meet up with Whitmer. This will be a difficult opponent, with likely more experience than the Spartans this early. On the other hand. this could be an ideal scenario for
the younger Spartans. One way to get better is to play tougher competition. Throughout the TRAC years Whitmer
usually played Lima tough. Can't wait for the season to begin.

JB

beejeebus,

The slow ones were a blur. WTH are they doing in City League, smh. The should have gone with the Catholics to De'troit.

Welp, been awhile since City League had someone make a run. At least there might be that.

eastis best:

I can't imagine the Detroit Catholic League would have jumped at the chance
to drive to Lima, Ohio for an athletic event, lol.

JB

I read on Prep Hoops OH that one of the more impressive teams at the scrimmage was Delaware Hayes. I believe they beat Lima SR. This according to Shane Garcia at Prep Hoops OH. He also has a couple of articles on that website but I do not pay for it so I couldn’t read it. Just got to Hayes vs Lima info off his Twitter.

I read on Prep Hoops OH that one of the more impressive teams at the scrimmage was Delaware Hayes. I believe they beat Lima SR. This according to Shane Garcia at Prep Hoops OH. He also has a couple of articles on that website but I do not pay for it so I couldn’t read it. Just got to Hayes vs Lima info off his Twitter.
They had a pretty good transfer come in and had a good returning player already there. They have some good pieces. I didn’t see them but heard they were pretty good.

Perrysburg scrimmaged Elyria last night. They looked pretty good, but not great. Pburg beat them pretty good in the first 4 qtrs, but then Elyria played well in the final 2.

1Q 19-9
2Q 22-16
3Q 17-14
4Q 22-15
5Q 16-26
6Q 13-23

Pburg has a lot of players and are dressing 3 Freshmen. Like I mentioned before, they don't have much size at all. Tallest kid is maybe 6-4 but they are quick and athletic. They should be competitive with everyone they play.