THROWBACK WRESTLING VIDEOS

OCEagle

Was on the internet looking up some past champions in Northwest Ohio, when I came across a link to a match on Youtube for the 1973 A-AA championship match between Paul Luther of Cardinal Stritch and Dick Engle of Cincinnati Reading. I knew Paul from junior high and had no idea he was going to Stritch instead of Clay until he was not showing up at Clay. He has been under-rated on some of the all-time best rankings because of when he wrestled (72-74) and it was fairly rare for anyone to win 2 or more state championships. He took a third at 138 as a soph. then won championships at 145 then 155 his junior and senior years. He lettered at Ohio State as a freshman in 1974-75 (started out 7-2 and I couldn't find his record after that) then dropped out of college after his freshman year and did not wrestle after that (he may have wrestled internationally with a US team after his freshman year - not sure when he was selected for that) I don't know if he got injured doing that or just tired of wrestling and cutting weight. I seem to recall him being unable to wrestle against the Russian team so he may have been injured along the way - then stopped wrestling after that. Not sure.

Anyway, it's a cool video to see and it makes you think you are watching something out of the 50's instead of '73. Here is the link to the video. If there are any others that anyone can find - would be interesting to see. This won't hold much interest for those that never heard of Luther, but the difference in wrestling technique over the years is in stark contrast to the techniques used now. This match went to OT and his last takedown seemed to have been missed on film. Luther dominated the entire match but barely won. Seems they called stalemate a little too quickly more than once and I didn't see the penalty point Luther gave up for locking hands. Just couldn't see it on the film.

BTW - the music gets a little irritating after awhile.

Thanks for sharing! I see Dick Engle Sr. quite a bit in Cincy. He is still coaching Wrestling at his old high school, Cincy Reading. His son, Dick Jr. was a 2x State Finalist for Reading, winning the Championship his Jr. year and finishing 2nd his Sr. year.

Was on the internet looking up some past champions in Northwest Ohio, when I came across a link to a match on Youtube for the 1973 A-AA championship match between Paul Luther of Cardinal Stritch and Engle of Cincinnati Reading. I knew Paul from junior high and had no idea he was going to Stritch instead of Clay until he was not showing up at Clay. He has been under-rated on some of the all-time best rankings because of when he wrestled (72-74) and it was fairly rare for anyone to win 2 or more state championships. He took a third at 138 as a soph. then won championships at 145 then 155 his junior and senior years. He lettered at Ohio State as a freshman in 1974-75 (started out 7-2 and I couldn't find his record after that) then dropped out of college after his freshman year and did not wrestle after that (he may have wrestled internationally with a US team after his freshman year - not sure when he was selected for that) I don't know if he got injured doing that or just tired of wrestling and cutting weight. I seem to recall him being unable to wrestle against the Russian team so he may have been injured along the way - then stopped wrestling after that. Not sure.

Anyway, it's a cool video to see and it makes you think you are watching something out of the 50's instead of '73. Here is the link to the video. If there are any others that anyone can find - would be interesting to see. This won't hold much interest for those that never heard of Luther, but the difference in wrestling technique over the years is in stark contrast to the techniques used now. This match went to OT and his last takedown seemed to have been missed on film. Luther dominated the entire match but barely won. Seems they called stalemate a little too quickly more than once and I didn't see the penalty point Luther gave up for locking hands. Just couldn't see it on the film.

BTW - the music gets a little irritating after awhile.

Good friend of mine Wrestled at OSU starting in 1975 next time i see him i"ll ask him about Paul.

Good friend of mine Wrestled at OSU starting in 1975 next time i see him i"ll ask him about Paul.
That would be great. I have been thinking of contacting him myself, but I have had no contact with him since junior high - before he went to Stritch instead of Clay - which was kind of a shock since his brother was a pretty good football player for Clay. He stayed at Fasset Jr. High through 9th grade, then went to Stritch 10-12.

That would be great. I have been thinking of contacting him myself, but I have had no contact with him since junior high - before he went to Stritch instead of Clay - which was kind of a shock since his brother was a pretty good football player for Clay. He stayed at Fasset Jr. High through 9th grade, then went to Stritch 10-12.
You get my PM regarding Paul?

You get my PM regarding Paul?
sorry, haven't been back out here for awhile. I sent you a note back that you probably already received by now.

Just watched it again. This match was at a time when riding time still counted for a point. I don't remember if it was 1 minute or 2 minutes - but the video seems to indicate it had to be 2 minutes. T

The scoring I saw was Luther with a takedown for 2 early in the 1st period, then Engle scoring on an escape to make it 2-1 and then accumulating :40 of riding time by the end of the second period. (Luther had over 1 minute in the first period). Engle was awarded a penalty point for Luther locking hands early in the third period. But, Luther rode Engle out for the entire 3rd period and should have had 1:20 or so in riding time at the end of regulation. Therefore, I have to assume riding time scoring had to be at 2 minutes.

Engle nearly had a takedown in OT (which was not sudden death) but was ruled off the mat. Then Luther starts to get a takedown, and the camera goes off the action - but shows Luther starting on top and you can barely make out a 2-0 score on the board with Luther apparently having :07 of riding time on the clock. Then Luther gives up an escape with about 2 seconds left - and wins the match 2-1 in OT. I still see :54 seconds on the riding time clock at the end of the match - and it appears to be in favor of Engle since it was counting down the entire final period of OT while Luther was controlling riding time. Hard to follow.

That was back in a time when referee criteria was also used to determine the outcome of matches. (Dick Wilson of UToledo lost the NCAA championship due to ref. criteria in 1960 (3-3, 2-2 in OT, RD to Gray Simons of Lock Haven at 115lbs. - the first of his 3 straight NCAA championships). Wilson also finished 2nd in 1959 (3-3, 5-4 in OT) to Andy Finch of Yale and again in 1961 to Gray Simmons (7-2).

see the next comment below for another throwback video on Dick Wilson - one of two Univ. of Toledo wrestlers to make 3 straight NCAA finals at a time when freshman could not participate in NCAA varsity sports. Wilson also made 3 straight Olympic teams - covered in the video below

Throwback on Dick Wilson. Found this looking up riding time and referee criteria of Referee Decision (RD) if still tied at the end of OT. My good friend lost to Paul Luther when he was a junior and Luther was a sophomore at the Northwood Invitational (score was something like 1-1, 0-0, RD to Luther). Wrestling was nowhere near as offensive as it is now - and there were no stalling calls made - because of riding time counting for a point.

this is a facebook video link. Not sure if it is on Youtube somewhere. Was done after Wilson had passed away and had just been inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. His son Bruce, seen on the video - won a state championship at Toledo Devilbiss HS at 145lbs. I believe he also wrestled at Univ. of Toledo.

Edit: can't seem to get the link to paste in correctly.

Found it on Youtube: