The rich get richer....Browns donate to Hoban

Well for someone that took two days to read every post I ever made (yes not much of a life) I'd love to hear how this post proves I'm a hypocrite? And yes I just took a ruler and smacked myself in the back of the head after I asked for this simple, straightforward response.
Who read every post you ever made? I simply took 30 seconds to read the title of the threads you posted in and boom, there you have it....a Massillon fanatical.

Here's your simple straight forward response. You talk positively about how Tyrell will turn these kids into D1 recruits. If it were Massillon you'd have your panties all in a bunch.

Who read every post you ever made? I simply took 30 seconds to read the title of the threads you posted in and boom, there you have it....a Massillon fanatical.

Here's your simple straight forward response. You talk positively about how Tyrell will turn these kids into D1 recruits. If it were Massillon you'd have your panties all in a bunch.
Whoe my friend, I have never talked positively about that. I actually think its a joke that Hoban supporters really believe that coaching and the new weight room transforms these mediocre players into D1 college athletes. If I said anything like that it was sarcasm which I know you can relate to.

Quote from the article:

"Del Medico said 75 percent of Hoban’s 855 students play sports. The new facility, while meeting their needs, will help coaches recruit prospects."
What is the problem? They have to recruit students to make their enrollment. They don’t have tax payer money to pay for their salaries and facilities. They don’t have Levys that need passed to raise money. Heck they don’t have a local community to provide any of that yet alone the student base. That’s why its called Private. You have to pay to attend or get financial aid and scholarships. Student Athletes are attracted to Hoban for a chance to play against St Ed’s, St Ignatus, Massillon, St V, Huber heights Wayne, Trotwood Madison and Toledo Central Catholic. Do you think 75% of students play sports at your home school? Playing against these types of programs give them exposure to college coaches and opportunities. They also don’t have to play both ways and every special team with public school teams like Kent who go 2-8,3-7 against below average competition and risk burnout or injury. You have been whining for the past 4 years about Hoban and its success and losing a couple of kids who wanted more than they could get at their public school. Move on.

How many of the Akron Public teams don't even have their own stadiums? I know East and Kenmore-Garfield don't. Most of the league games are played at UA. But Hoban gets money for practice fields? Seriously.
You are correct. The taxpayer doesn't pay enough for public schools. The government should seize a private company's resources and give it to our overachieving, world-renowned public schools.

Hearing Hoban 2020 schedule may Don Bosco Prep, St Ed’s and St Ignatus. If so they will need these extra fields and players

I expect both Ed’s and Ignatius to be a little down next year. Next years senior classes are light on talent at both schools.

Browns officially break ground on synthetic turf practice fields at Hoban

Archbishop Hoban High School hosted members of the Browns on Thursday for an official groundbreaking celebration for two new synthetic turf fields.

The new synthetic turf fields will be installed over what was once grass fields, and be called the Wentz Financial Family Fields.

Hoban Athletic Director and football coach Tim Tyrrell said the Knights football, lacrosse, soccer, softball and baseball teams will benefit from the new artificial surfaces. East Akron and South Akron youth leagues are also set to utilize the updated facility.

I'm glad for Hoban to get this. I think it is great that the Browns are helping in the community but not sure this is being received well in the general community. A little tone deaf by the Browns.

Maybe the Browns wanted to reward success instead of supporting school systems that have mismanaged money and produced nothing. Rewarding hard work and success - what a concept!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the Browns wanted to reward success instead of supporting school systems that have mismanaged money and produced nothing. Rewarding hard work and success - what a concept!

35-6
You are right the NFL shouldn’t be putting money into school systems, improving stadiums, building locker rooms etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Old Wildcat. The Browns seem to be short sided in this case. Atwater Waterloo had to go to public and corporations to just get started. No bleachers, poor field but hey they don't matter. Even Akron Buchtel would have been a better choice than Hoban. Really poor decision. Hoban seems to have very deep pockets. Why would an East side Akron public student choose to stay at Akron East, or the new Akron Garfield ( not even a practice field) and that school was one time home to great football and NFL stars! The rich get richer....

I agree with Old Wildcat. The Browns seem to be short sided in this case. Atwater Waterloo had to go to public and corporations to just get started. No bleachers, poor field but hey they don't matter. Even Akron Buchtel would have been a better choice than Hoban. Really poor decision. Hoban seems to have very deep pockets. Why would an East side Akron public student choose to stay at Akron East, or the new Akron Garfield ( not even a practice field) and that school was one time home to great football and NFL stars! The rich get richer....
Serious question, and I don’t know the answer:

Did the schools you mention here apply for the grant the Browns were sponsoring, as Hoban did? It’s not as if the Browns looked at a list of NE Ohio schools and pointed to one at random to receive these funds. There was an application process, a grant proposal and a stated plan to raise the additional funds beyond the seed money provided by the Browns, among other requirements.

Hoban applied and received the seed money under the specifications of the program. If other, perhaps more deserving, schools also applied and met the requirements and still lost out on the program, that’s a little disappointing. But if those same programs didn’t take advantage of the opportunity afforded by the grant by at least trying, then they simply missed an opportunity.

Several academic and physical plant projects at Hoban have been based on or aided by grants over the years. Those projects, however, are not as visible as endeavors, like this one, that have to do with football.

If this program from the Browns remains available in the near future, hopefully the schools you mention take advantage of the opportunity and receive the boost needed to start and/or complete their project funding as well, as you make valid points about the attractiveness of facilities as it relates to the student-athlete.

Last edited:
What is the problem? They have to recruit students to make their enrollment. They don’t have tax payer money to pay for their salaries and facilities. They don’t have Levys that need passed to raise money. Heck they don’t have a local community to provide any of that yet alone the student base. That’s why its called Private. You have to pay to attend or get financial aid and scholarships. Student Athletes are attracted to Hoban for a chance to play against St Ed’s, St Ignatus, Massillon, St V, Huber heights Wayne, Trotwood Madison and Toledo Central Catholic. Do you think 75% of students play sports at your home school? Playing against these types of programs give them exposure to college coaches and opportunities. They also don’t have to play both ways and every special team with public school teams like Kent who go 2-8,3-7 against below average competition and risk burnout or injury. You have been whining for the past 4 years about Hoban and its success and losing a couple of kids who wanted more than they could get at their public school. Move on.
If I'm not mistaking your a Mentor Lake Catholic fan? Private school right? I think the problem is public schools get it more trouble then private schools do bruhhhhh let's not act stupid cut the bs its about sports and winning championships so its recruiting if private schools can do it then it should be the same for public schools simple of course your gonna call it whining when you support a private

What is the problem? They have to recruit students to make their enrollment. They don’t have tax payer money to pay for their salaries and facilities. They don’t have Levys that need passed to raise money. Heck they don’t have a local community to provide any of that yet alone the student base. That’s why its called Private.

To be fully accurate, they are called Private because they choose to pursue and select only the students they want, and choose not to be burdened by any state standards, regulations, and/or oversight. Financed by tuition and endowments. That was the deal.

That is a helluva model, with obvious competitive advantages, academically and otherwise. But now they want the best of both worlds - private status/selective enrollment AND public tax dollars. If you try, I am sure can imagine how difficult (and unfair) that would be for most public schools to compete with, except perhaps the most affluent areas.

It has been great what the Browns have done to bring turf fields to the Senate League and they have the right to decide what to do with their money. That said, it would be a massive impact if they helped even with minor renovations of Senate League Weight Rooms. Many of the Senate League weightrooms have old and unsafe equipment and make Fairport Harbor and Py Valley’s weightrooms look like UT or Oregon’s facilities.

I think @brian makes a good point. Did other schools apply? Ellet and Hoban appear to have jumped through the hoops while we can't be sure who else has. Sure, it's not a great look but before getting too critical it would be nice to know the background of how they were chosen.

Also, it's good to see that at the point in the calendar that we're the farthest from the past or upcoming football season that the age old public/private debate still has legs (with absolutely no new arguments).

You got Buchtel on the west side of the same city with 2 State titles and 3 runner up finishes in football, team State titles in Boys and Girls track, all with a cinder track and a field/stadium with no lights or turf.

Once again the Browns fail. I'm guessing someone with the Browns is a Hoban Alum. There are so many schools that need real help and you pick a private school!! Then add salt to the wound building 2 practice fields!! I bet theres a dozen or more school just in NE Ohio that need help. My God Waterloo High School in Portage County had to play all home games at a different school because of unsafe bleachers. The Browns should be ashamed.
The Browns are winners.
They only attach themselves to winner.
No way they are donating to some scrub local schools.

When people think of the Browns, they think of winners so that is why they chose the most successful program in the region to back.

You got Buchtel on the west side of the same city with 2 State titles and 3 runner up finishes in football, team State titles in Boys and Girls track, all with a cinder track and a field/stadium with no lights or turf.
I'm not talking sports. I'm talking about the mismanagement of resources by APS for decades.

And Akron Buchtel is also part of Akron Public schools. Therefore why didn't the powers to be apply for Buchtel as they must have for Akron Ellet?? Makes you wonder why as the poster says, the only Akron public high school with 2 state titles and runner ups were once again slighted??? Akron Buchtel has a much stronger football tradition than Akron Ellet for sure!!

Perhaps APS, Buchtel, Waterloo, et al will apply this time around. According to the program's website the application deadline for the most recent round of grassroots grant funds is in late May 2021. Good luck to these schools/programs in taking advantage of these opportunities, as Hoban and others have done.

Just don't let Haslam and friends use their funding leverage to 'rebrand' the program. They'll 100% ruin it. ;)

And Akron Buchtel is also part of Akron Public schools. Therefore why didn't the powers to be apply for Buchtel as they must have for Akron Ellet?? Makes you wonder why as the poster says, the only Akron public high school with 2 state titles and runner ups were once again slighted??? Akron Buchtel has a much stronger football tradition than Akron Ellet for sure!!
I wonder if the application was made by the very active Ellet Boosters as opposed to APS.

It's not as if the more disadvantaged places are being ignored. In addition to Ellet:
CMSD:

Toledo:

Boys/Girls Hope:

We should be grateful to the Browns for donating the money for turfing fields, rather than questioning them. Because of this, more kids can play on safer facilities( which had been dirt fields or mud pits). With the numbers dropping, football needs all of the participants it can get. Everywhere.
Except turf fields are not safer. According to University Hospitals, "They found athletes were 58 percent more likely to sustain an injury during athletic activity on artificial turf. Injury rates were significantly higher for football, girls and boys soccer, and rugby athletes. Lower extremity, upper extremity, and torso injuries were also found to occur with a higher incidence on artificial turf." As someone who has coached on both, I much prefer grass over turf. It is safer, easier to control, less expensive in the long run, and just looks and feels better.

I wonder if the application was made by the very active Ellet Boosters as opposed to APS.

Perhaps APS, Buchtel, Waterloo, et al will apply this time around. According to the program's website the application deadline for the most recent round of grassroots grant funds is in late May 2021. Good luck to these schools/programs in taking advantage of these opportunities, as Hoban and others have done.

According to my recollection/sources Ellet boosters had nothing to do with it. A Buchtel Alum/Booster submitted the idea to Akron public schools in hopes of getting two turf fields, one for the East side and one for the West. APS submitted the application and was awarded one field and they chose where it went (using criteria I understand even if I am disappointed with the outcome). Is there a limit on how many times an organization can apply, I don't know, does APS have another $250,000 in matching funds for a second field, again I don't know. I do know Buchtel alum have had car washes to telethons in hopes of raising money to upgrade their field and they will continue to do so.

According to my recollection/sources Ellet boosters had nothing to do with it. A Buchtel Alum/Booster submitted the idea to Akron public schools in hopes of getting two turf fields, one for the East side and one for the West. APS submitted the application and was awarded one field and they chose where it went (using criteria I understand even if I am disappointed with the outcome). Is there a limit on how many times an organization can apply, I don't know, does APS have another $250,000 in matching funds for a second field, again I don't know. I do know Buchtel alum have had car washes to telethons in hopes of raising money to upgrade their field and they will continue to do so.
Thanks hubman for the info. I suspect APS saw Ellet as a more often used field by all of the schools than Buchtel.

Keep us up to date on the fundraisers.