The Offseason

Taco MacArthur

Chris Paul opts in to his current contract which ends after the upcoming season. Then traded to Houston.

Houston gets: Chris Paul
Clippers get: Patrick Beverly, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and a 2018 1st round pick (top 3 protected).

Solid haul for an aging one year guarantee who publicly said he would go to Houston anyway. Curious to see where Blake Griffin signs.

Last edited:

Interesting. I'm trusting the NBA won't step in and undo the trade (sarcasm). Curious to see how Paul and Harden work together. I'm also curious as to what cap money Houston has as those two will still need some help.

Hmmm...didn't hear what Houston had to give up until now. I don't think that's a good deal at all for Houston. They are losing two really good guards (Beverly/ Williams) and replacing them with 1. Houston was good last year because of their depth.

Paul will definitely make them better, but it's not enough to get them out of the west and they basically gave up a key piece of their future with the draft pick.

Rockets definitely gave up too much. Interested if the Clippers had another offer for Paul on the back-burner or if they just made the Rockets think they did. If Paul wanted to play with Harden that bad he could have waited 2 more days and opted out to be a FA.

Talk is that Houston will try to deal for Paul George, but what do they have that they can give Indy? Eric Gordon and Kyle Anderson?

I don't think NBA teams, except the bad ones, even care about draft picks anymore. You wonder if James Harden is the Melo of the western conference. Always seems to be attitude problems on the teams those two are on. Still can't believe Houston got knocked out of he playoffs by a a Kwai-less Spurs team in game 6, spanked actually.

You're wrong, yet again, 13. Teams highly value draft picks because they can get young, talented players on very team friendly contracts. The reason they are traded away though is because it is still a risk, especially for the better team with less talent available to choose from, of making the wrong pick.

I don't seem to recall anyone mentioning Harden's attitude while he was in Oklahoma City.

Probably qualifies as a hot take, but I don't think this will work out. Harden & Paul are two of the most ball-dominant players in the NBA. And Paul has a lot of miles on his body, can he hold up running D'Antoni's fast paced offense and having to defend the other teams best guard?

Probably qualifies as a hot take, but I don't think this will work out. Harden & Paul are two of the most ball-dominant players in the NBA. And Paul has a lot of miles on his body, can he hold up running D'Antoni's fast paced offense and having to defend the other teams best guard?

I don't think this works out either. And they're planning on giving a 32 year old, high milage, injury prone player the max after this coming season? I get it's an arms race in the NBA but I think Morey missed here.

Like many of you I'm not sure how CP3 and Harden co-exist.

Harden was always a very good scorer as a 2-guard, but they put the ball in his hands this past year and he exploded. However, he does turn it over a lot and his defense is bad. This puts him back at 2, and CP3 will certainly distribute the ball, reduce turnovers, and play better defense on point.

If I am Clint Capela, I'm smiling. He will be getting all the lobs/dunks from CP3. If Gordon/Ariza/Anderson all shoot 3's like they did last year, Houston will be even better than last year. But only if Harden does not sulk about no longer running the point.

Given he's spent 12.5% of his career at the 1 and he has been recruiting Chris Paul to Houston for a year, I don't think the Rockets are too worried about him sulking about going to the 2.

I'd have to think someone spoke to Harden before the deal went down.

Nooooo...LeBron is the only star in the league that is consulted on pending moves, right? I mean LeBron runs the Cavs and they all do whatever he says, right? Other teams can't possibly consult with their stars regarding trades and players can they?

Jeff Teague has committed to the T'Wolves. They're probably one shooter away (Redick?) from having a very dangerous starting 5.

Starting to look like teams and star players in the East have elected to punt on ever trying to compete against the current rendition of the Cavs. Maybe Boston, if they actually do something with all of their assets in the next year or two.

Maybe it's time for the Cavs to have a surprise...BAM!;)

The only surprise that will make any difference is if LBJ punts salary for the common good.

People are still talking Carmelo buyout/budget signing on the radio, and I can't see how that does anything for the 2-way 1-4 switch player they need. So frigging stupid.

Conferences are completely out of balance. Crazy that 3 of these players will not be All-Stars:

Curry
Durant
Klay
Dray
Kawhi
Harden
CP3
Westbrook
George
Gasol
Butler
Towns
Davis
Cousins
Lillard

Curry gets paid: $201 million over 5 years

The best bargain in the NBA the past four seasons has agreed to the richest contract in league history.

Warriors guard Stephen Curry on Friday night did what has long been expected, agreeing to a five-year “super max” contract extension worth a reported $201 million.

Curry’s previous contract — signed as he was coming off multiple ankle injuries and before he won back-to-back MVP awards and the Warriors won two NBA titles — was for $44 million for four years.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/curry-gets-paid-dollar201-million-over-5-years/ar-BBDvAKd