The Official 2024 Reds season thread

We really can't catch a break. Montas has been put on the 15 day DL after taking the line drive off the arm. That's likely two starts and then we start the rehab stuff again. Casey Legumina has been called up in his place.

You're lineup for the win over the Phillies tonight.
1713818748784.png

Caught a bit of a break tonight at Bryce Harper will miss the Reds/ Phillies series as he's on paternity leave.

We really can't catch a break. Montas has been put on the 15 day DL after taking the line drive off the arm. That's likely two starts and then we start the rehab stuff again. Casey Legumina has been called up in his place.
He probably got put on the IL because they need bullpen bodies more than him needing any kind of rehab period after the IL stint.

He probably got put on the IL because they need bullpen bodies more than him needing any kind of rehab period after the IL stint.
Need bullpen bodies, explain this to me. Suter pitched 3.1 innings yesterday so he's out today, Pagan 2 Ip so he's likely out. No one else pitched more than an inning yesterday and Farmer didn't pitch at all. I annoys me how they hand hold pitcher these days. Good grief these are grown men, it's ok to stretch them out some.

tough one to explain tonight. First of all, for some reason, we just don't score runs when Greene pitches. It's really odd. Now tonight we ran into Ranger Suarez, who at this point looks like one of the best pitchers in baseball and he really shows what pitching is all about. On one side, you have a guy in Greene, #1 pick overall, HUGE expectations, hits triple digits routinely, and yet guys just are able to get bats on the ball and create enough offense. Meanwhile. Suarez tops out at only 91 MPH, and has a great change up and we barely hit any balls hard all night, can't get anything going. Just very frustrating. We had 5 guys in our lineup tonight hitting below .200.

tough one to explain tonight. First of all, for some reason, we just don't score runs when Greene pitches. It's really odd. Now tonight we ran into Ranger Suarez, who at this point looks like one of the best pitchers in baseball and he really shows what pitching is all about. On one side, you have a guy in Greene, #1 pick overall, HUGE expectations, hits triple digits routinely, and yet guys just are able to get bats on the ball and create enough offense. Meanwhile. Suarez tops out at only 91 MPH, and has a great change up and we barely hit any balls hard all night, can't get anything going. Just very frustrating. We had 5 guys in our lineup tonight hitting below .200.
The Reds haven’t exhibited any ability to do damage against good pitchers, regardless of who’s in or out of the lineup. I’d say that’s quite simple to explain.

You explained it very well.

- No one hits Suarez this year. He has 25 straight scoreless innings now

- As I've posted multiple time, the Reds struggle against even mediocre lefties. Why? Well, McLain, Marte and Friedl all mash lefties, for one. For another, Bell insists on benching Fraley and Benson against lefties and putting in terrible hitters like Thompson and Espinal. Why is Martini in against a lefty, he has not hit them his entire career?

- MLB hitters routinely see 97-100 MPH so Greene's velocity is no big deal - he needs movement on the fastball as I have posted multiple times.

No further explanation needed.

Caught a bit of a break tonight at Bryce Harper will miss the Reds/ Phillies series as he's on paternity leave.
And all Harper's replacement does is get two hits, 3 RBIs with a homer.... what are you going to do...

The Reds haven’t exhibited any ability to do damage against good pitchers, regardless of who’s in or out of the lineup. I’d say that’s quite simple to explain.
And this is one of the fallacies with this organization for years. And I realize that it's hard to beat the better pitchers because they are REALLY GOOD. However, will this organization ever decide to simplify the game and manufacture runs? Now I know the bunt is a four letter word these days. However, first inning, you get Fairchild on to start the bottom of the first. I love Steer hitting #2 (Elly would be good there too) but any inclination to bunt Fairchild to 2nd, maybe try to get an early lead on Suarez, make him uncomfortable?? Instead, we get a strikeout throwout of a steal (interference) and we get one hit and 25 outs the rest of the game. Now granted, you're not likely going to win 1-0. But how many of Hunter Greene's 51 career starts has he pitched with a lead? I'd guess 10% or less.

I don't know why everyone wants to get this kid off shortstop. He's playing a pretty good shortstop, yea, a few lapses but he's doing well. Why I like him there is the amount of ground he can cover on popups, plus on relays he's likely to be the relay guy.
I’m not “trying to get him off shortstop” 😂 in my opinion Marte is going to be better defensively which means great news for the Reds cuz Elly is pretty dang good

And this is one of the fallacies with this organization for years. And I realize that it's hard to beat the better pitchers because they are REALLY GOOD. However, will this organization ever decide to simplify the game and manufacture runs? Now I know the bunt is a four letter word these days. However, first inning, you get Fairchild on to start the bottom of the first. I love Steer hitting #2 (Elly would be good there too) but any inclination to bunt Fairchild to 2nd, maybe try to get an early lead on Suarez, make him uncomfortable?? Instead, we get a strikeout throwout of a steal (interference) and we get one hit and 25 outs the rest of the game. Now granted, you're not likely going to win 1-0. But how many of Hunter Greene's 51 career starts has he pitched with a lead? I'd guess 10% or less.
I am never having my best hitter, who is among the leaders in RBI and OPS in baseball, sacrifice bunt. Not ever. If Espinal, Thompson, etc. were up in that situation, then yes, I'd bunt.

The way the Reds run, and with Stu's speed, he should be going earlier in the count. We convert steals at a pretty good percentage. That is better than handing away your best hitter's AB for one base.

I am never having my best hitter, who is among the leaders in RBI and OPS in baseball, sacrifice bunt. Not ever. If Espinal, Thompson, etc. were up in that situation, then yes, I'd bunt.

The way the Reds run, and with Stu's speed, he should be going earlier in the count. We convert steals at a pretty good percentage. That is better than handing away your best hitter's AB for one base.
In most normal situations I'd agree. Ranger Suarez, other than being a great pitcher, also is VERY difficult to steal off of. He'd not had a stolen base off him all season. Now Steer interfered with Realmuto on the steal attempt so who knows, maybe Stu would have stolen it anyway.
But to your point, I don't know why we don't steal earlier in the count, it gets the hitter in a real pickle if you wait until two strikes and then run.
In my mind, last night especially, you want to score first if all possible.

Roster move, Sam Moll called up Casey Legumina sent down. I wonder with India and Fraley sick, maybe be a better idea to bring up a bat instead? We have tons of pitchers in the bullpen.

Roster move, Sam Moll called up Casey Legumina sent down. I wonder with India and Fraley sick, maybe be a better idea to bring up a bat instead? We have tons of pitchers in the bullpen.
Tough to play 40-man roster roulette just because guys are sick for a few days. Especially since righty bats are what’s needed and they don’t have anyone healthy in Louisville who fits the bill as an upgrade. The position player depth is perilously thin.

India and Fraley both expected back tonight I believe.
I'd hope so, India left Saturday's game. Fraley last played Saturday as well. And since the Reds didn't disable them, they've been playing two players short every day since.

RHP going for the Phills, Holy Cow we're finally moving Candelario down.

1713987579417.png

Attachments

• 1713987527482.png
    1713987527482.png
    623.2 KB · Views: 4
Nice to see Espinal contribute the last 2 nights.

Elly is a cheat code - just amazing. 15 SB on April 24. What?? Also 4th in the MLB in HR and OPS. 3rd in the MLB in Slugging%. 10th in the MLB with a .412 OBP. He is everything we hoped. I don't care if he strikes out a fair amount, he is overcoming it and is highly highly productive.

Well well, going for 3/4 today vs. the mighty Phills. India finally back, will he get Wally Pipped by Santiago Espinal? Once we got into the Philly bullpen last night, things went better offensively.
1714056728406.png

Nice to see Espinal contribute the last 2 nights.

Elly is a cheat code - just amazing. 15 SB on April 24. What?? Also 4th in the MLB in HR and OPS. 3rd in the MLB in Slugging%. 10th in the MLB with a .412 OBP. He is everything we hoped. I don't care if he strikes out a fair amount, he is overcoming it and is highly highly productive.
He's actually cut down significantly on the strikeouts, he's walking more and when he hits the ball, things happen. Just scratching the surface with this kid. Now he just needs to stay near the top of the lineup daily.

So it's likely premature to have this conversation, but what does the runway look like for Jamier Candelario? So far he's done very little at the plate, and he doesn't field very well either. I look back to the Wil Myers signing last year and at this point, their times with the Reds look eerily similar. At this point it's not a big big deal, but when we start getting guys back from injury/ suspension, it's going to be very difficult giving him much playing time if this is all he has to offer. Heck, Espinal is a better option now.

If I told you before opening day:
- Marte will be suspended, McLain out for the year, Friedl out the first couple of months
- the 3 expensive free agents (Candelario , Martinez, Montas) would be off to bad starts
- CES, Maile, Benson, India, Candelario, Maile and Fairchild would all be batting below .220

Would you guess the Reds would be 14-11?? No way. We are lucky to be 14-11.

It will get better.

If I told you before opening day:
- Marte will be suspended, McLain out for the year, Friedl out the first couple of months
- the 3 expensive free agents (Candelario , Martinez, Montas) would be off to bad starts
- CES, Maile, Benson, India, Candelario, Maile and Fairchild would all be batting below .220

Would you guess the Reds would be 14-11?? No way. We are lucky to be 14-11.

It will get better.
It’s way better than a usual Reds April for sure.

I think we could’ve penciled this game in as a loss as soon as Wheeler was slotted in to start. Great opposing pitcher + GABP early afternoon getaway day is pretty much an automatic loss the past two seasons.

Elly deserves NL Player of the Month, and thank goodness for Cruz and Suter providing important help in the bullpen.

The season will really come down to what the Reds end up getting out of Greene, Montas and Lodolo.