The Official 2024 Reds season thread

Yeah I am a heavy follower of players due to the deep fantasy league I play in, but I never looked at the WSox as a whole until last night. Really not good when you lose Robert, Moncada and Eloy to injury. Not much better than Oakland, just older than Oakland.

But it is nice to see EDLC get that bat going. Hopefully he punishes them all weekend!
I’d honestly take Oakland’s roster and I’m not sure it’s really even close.

No one commenting on Lodolo - I will. His stuff is straight nasty. I realize it was the White Sox, but all MLB guys can hit some. When Lodolo has command like yesterday, just forget about it. Nobody gets swings and misses like he does. Remember, even last season he was leading the MLB in K per 9 innings before he got hurt. Please be healthy all year Nick.

As of the week ending 4-14-24, the Reds are 9-6 on the season, tied with the Cubbies for fourth place in the NL Central. They are 1.5 games back of the first place Brewers.

For the week, Cincy was 4-2, having dropped 2 of 3 to Milwaukee before sweeping a three game set against the Sox in Chicago.

As bad as Reds pitching was against the Brewers, it was that strong against the Sox, allowing only 5 runs over the weekend.

Key performances included the successful return to the starting rotation of Nick Lodolo against Chicago.
On offense, Encarnacion-Strand is starting to produce.

The Reds should enjoy getting to play the worst team in the league and perhaps the worst team in the modern era of MLB. I strongly believe the White Sox will be in the range of the 1962 Mets (40-120) and 2003 Tigers (43-119) as the season enters the home stretch.

I drifted in and out from around 2013-19, but I can’t recall ever seeing a smaller Friday night crowd at Sox Park than last night (11,337 paid, definitely not that many actually there). The fanbase is done with Jerry Reinsdorf and his lazy hiring/firing tactics disguised as “loyalty.” The organization has been a dumpster fire for years, even when the major-league club had a modicum of success, and last year’s fiasco was the last straw for a lot of fans.

Other than Garrett Crochet’s starts and seeing if Michael Kopech can be a closer, there isn’t a single reason to watch White Sox baseball at the moment. Aside from Luis Robert eventually coming back and Colson Montgomery eventually getting promoted as the next SS, that won’t change, either.

Look at the garbage on this roster:

Journeyman vets: Robbie Grossman, Kevin Pillar, Nicky Lopez, Paul DeJong, Martin Maldonado, Max Stassi, Chris Flexen, Erick Fedde.

Underachieving and/or derailed by injuries once-promising guys: Andrew Vaughn, Eloy Jimenez, Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Michael Soroka.

Overpaid noodle arm/noodle bat: Andrew Benintendi.

Marginal young guys/AAAA players getting a look/filler: Braden Shewmake, Dominic Fletcher, Lenyn Sosa, Zach Remillard, Korey Lee.

Actual quality: Luis Robert (when healthy), Garrett Crochet (when healthy)

And the whole bullpen sans Kopech is journeymen or young guys getting a look.
I'm not going to apologize for sweeping the White Sox, that's baseball. At some point this season, they will string together a 6-7 game win streak. The Reds motto for this season has to be "win the games you're supposed to win" and that will get you into the playoffs.

The Reds should enjoy getting to play the worst team in the league and perhaps the worst team in the modern era of MLB. I strongly believe the White Sox will be in the range of the 1962 Mets (40-120) and 2003 Tigers (43-119) as the season enters the home stretch.

I drifted in and out from around 2013-19, but I can’t recall ever seeing a smaller Friday night crowd at Sox Park than last night (11,337 paid, definitely not that many actually there). The fanbase is done with Jerry Reinsdorf and his lazy hiring/firing tactics disguised as “loyalty.” The organization has been a dumpster fire for years, even when the major-league club had a modicum of success, and last year’s fiasco was the last straw for a lot of fans.

Other than Garrett Crochet’s starts and seeing if Michael Kopech can be a closer, there isn’t a single reason to watch White Sox baseball at the moment. Aside from Luis Robert eventually coming back and Colson Montgomery eventually getting promoted as the next SS, that won’t change, either.

Look at the garbage on this roster:

Journeyman vets: Robbie Grossman, Kevin Pillar, Nicky Lopez, Paul DeJong, Martin Maldonado, Max Stassi, Chris Flexen, Erick Fedde.

Underachieving and/or derailed by injuries once-promising guys: Andrew Vaughn, Eloy Jimenez, Yoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Michael Soroka.

Overpaid noodle arm/noodle bat: Andrew Benintendi.

Marginal young guys/AAAA players getting a look/filler: Braden Shewmake, Dominic Fletcher, Lenyn Sosa, Zach Remillard, Korey Lee.

Actual quality: Luis Robert (when healthy), Garrett Crochet (when healthy)

And the whole bullpen sans Kopech is journeymen or young guys getting a look.
This is part of baseball and believe me we Reds fans have lived through some thin years. Nothing makes for a longer summer than burying yourself in April and being out of it by June 1. I felt bad for Bryan Price because he was post Dusty Baker when the team decided to rebuild and it's taken about 8-10 years to finally get it right. Price was saddled with aging vets and unproven prospects and we floundered through alot of years. One thing I've always said about today's owners is they don't care how many butts are in the seats. They already have their money so the ticket sales are a small portion of the ball teams financial equation. There was time a few years ago where I really thought Benintendi would end up with the Reds because he's from the area and we needed outfielders. I believe he went to the Red Sox for a big contract and then the White Sox and they are regretting it. My guess is he'll get moved at the trade deadline to one of the contenders who have lots of $$'s and a need for a left handed outfield bat and the White Sox will be happy to unload the salary.

No one commenting on Lodolo - I will. His stuff is straight nasty. I realize it was the White Sox, but all MLB guys can hit some. When Lodolo has command like yesterday, just forget about it. Nobody gets swings and misses like he does. Remember, even last season he was leading the MLB in K per 9 innings before he got hurt. Please be healthy all year Nick.
No doubt that of all our kids, Lodolo has lights out stuff, along with being left handed. However, proceed with extreme caution. This kid has NEVER made it through a season since he was at TCU. Long lanky with a history of back and leg problems. We just need to hope he can somehow stabilize. My approach is whatever he can give us is icing on the cake.

I believe he went to the Red Sox for a big contract and then the White Sox and they are regretting it. My guess is he'll get moved at the trade deadline to one of the contenders who have lots of $$'s and a need for a left handed outfield bat and the White Sox will be happy to unload the salary.
I’m pretty sure Benintendi was pre-arbitration and perhaps into arbitration with Boston before finishing his arbitration years for the Royals and a short couple months in the Bronx. Then idiots Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams signed him to a 5-year, $75 million contract to come to the White Sox.

He’s in year 2 of that deal, which makes him totally untradeable. No one in their right mind is going to take on 3.5 years at $15M a pop for guy turning 30 this season who already has no pop, no arm and a seeming inability to get under lazy pop flies that a normal left fielder would get to.

He has been absolutely dreadful in Chicago.

I’m pretty sure Benintendi was pre-arbitration and perhaps into arbitration with Boston before finishing his arbitration years for the Royals and a short couple months in the Bronx. Then idiots Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams signed him to a 5-year, $75 million contract to come to the White Sox.

He’s in year 2 of that deal, which makes him totally untradeable. No one in their right mind is going to take on 3.5 years at $15M a pop for guy turning 30 this season who already has no pop, no arm and a seeming inability to get under lazy pop flies that a normal left fielder would get to.

He has been absolutely dreadful in Chicago.
He has been, but a sucker is born every minute, and if he can ever get back to his old self, some team may take a flyer on him. I never ever thought we'd get rid of Homer Bailey but the Dodgers came a callin.

Meanwhile an UGLY start for Montas tonight, the Reds never in the game as Montas and Farmer combine to warm up the Mariner bats. Candelario, Fraley and Encarnacion Strand carry the offensive load. Hunter goes today.

Meanwhile an UGLY start for Montas tonight, the Reds never in the game as Montas and Farmer combine to warm up the Mariner bats. Candelario, Fraley and Encarnacion Strand carry the offensive load. Hunter goes today.
I don't stay up for the West Coast games but would agree that 5 walks in 2 innings is definitely ugly. Hopefully he can get back to the form of his first 2 starts.

The big news for me from the box score is that Martinez threw 4 good innings in relief, so we know for certain now that Lodolo is taking that spot in the rotation for now. It looked that way, but you never know till you know. Interesting to me that the Reds would pay him such a big contract for this role. I guess he is insurance for Lodolo and other possible injuries.

I don't stay up for the West Coast games but would agree that 5 walks in 2 innings is definitely ugly. Hopefully he can get back to the form of his first 2 starts.

The big news for me from the box score is that Martinez threw 4 good innings in relief, so we know for certain now that Lodolo is taking that spot in the rotation for now. It looked that way, but you never know till you know. Interesting to me that the Reds would pay him such a big contract for this role. I guess he is insurance for Lodolo and other possible injuries.
I take a nap for late games. 😴
He walked 4 in the first inning. Went 3-2 on several hitters and one guy fouled off about 4 extra pitches. Really didn't get squeezed, just wasn't able to throw a strike when he needed.
I think Martinez is going to be a hybrid where he can pitch 2-5 innings - he can be the long guy when a starter blows up, or he can be a high leverage guy if a pitcher gets tired in the 5th inning and bridge to the 7th/ 8th. He also is insurance for Lodolo/ Montas or any other injuries we may have. Nice part about him is he can warm up quickly like a normal relief pitcher. I don't know if the TV guys made mention of it, but they were saying it may be time to get Martinez up a couple of batters before he actually got up. Frist inning went walk, walk, homer, walk, double play, walk, single and fly out. Cowboy and Sadak mentioned Martinez may need to get ready after the walk after the homer as he was around 25 pitches with no one out. I believe he started warming up around the double play time.
It would be huge for this team if Nick Lodolo can make his start every 5 days.

Seattle's pitching (Castillo, Kirby, Gilbert) is pretty nasty, but lets bring the bats along on these west coast trips. Also I noticed that Greene threw 98 pitches in 4 innings. WTH is that?

This is a pretty mediocre team this season. Montas and Greene have been so so to bad and certainly don’t look like top of the rotation guys, yet. India is getting on base some but his BA is minuscule and he is not the lead off hitter Friedl is. CES is having the dreaded sophomore slump. Benson is not a top of the order guy. So Friedl, McClain and Marte are missed terribly as we all knew they would be. Lastly, the free agent signings have not panned out at all. I know it’s a long season but I don’t see the Reds being more than a .500 club this year

Seattle's pitching (Castillo, Kirby, Gilbert) is pretty nasty, but lets bring the bats along on these west coast trips. Also I noticed that Greene threw 98 pitches in 4 innings. WTH is that?
Greene pitched pretty well, 8 k's over 4 innings, but just way too many 3-2 counts and then guys will foul 2-3 2 strike pitches off. He's so close to being great that it's nuts, but he just has to be more pitch efficient. He pleaded with Bell to go out for the 5th and I'd been ticked if I was him. He's 25 years old, he's a grown man. Just drives me nuts the way modern pitchers are handled. If I were Greene, I'd have a meeting with Krall and Bell and have some understanding of what my role is. I think he's fully capable of throwing 110-120 pitches. Take the training wheels off.

This is a pretty mediocre team this season. Montas and Greene have been so so to bad and certainly don’t look like top of the rotation guys, yet. India is getting on base some but his BA is minuscule and he is not the lead off hitter Friedl is. CES is having the dreaded sophomore slump. Benson is not a top of the order guy. So Friedl, McClain and Marte are missed terribly as we all knew they would be. Lastly, the free agent signings have not panned out at all. I know it’s a long season but I don’t see the Reds being more than a .500 club this year
You may be right on Razor, but .500 is right in the hunt. The difference between being a .500 team and a .550 team is 7 games. So the margin of error is very small.

You may be right on Razor, but .500 is right in the hunt. The difference between being a .500 team and a .550 team is 7 games. So the margin of error is very small.
.500 = 81-81, and not really in the hunt. .550 = 89-73. These results are very different, not "very small".

Greene pitched pretty well, 8 k's over 4 innings, but just way too many 3-2 counts and then guys will foul 2-3 2 strike pitches off. He's so close to being great that it's nuts, but he just has to be more pitch efficient.
I would not call 98 pitches in 4 innings "pitched well". But for sure his issue is pitch efficiency. In addition to too many balls, the reason he gets so many 2-strike fouls is the lack of movement on that fastball. 100mph is nice but when it does not move it is easy to get a piece and stay alive. His fastball reminds me of Homer Bailey's, it is just absolutely straight. A small grip alteration is something he need to look at, to get some late movement on that thing.

Welp...
1713377563487.png

I would not call 98 pitches in 4 innings "pitched well". But for sure his issue is pitch efficiency. In addition to too many balls, the reason he gets so many 2-strike fouls is the lack of movement on that fastball. 100mph is nice but when it does not move it is easy to get a piece and stay alive. His fastball reminds me of Homer Bailey's, it is just absolutely straight. A small grip alteration is something he need to look at, to get some late movement on that thing.
He gave up one run and could had easily been zero. I'll say this, if he can pitch like last night and go 6 instead of 4 innings, I'll take that every start.

He gave up one run and could had easily been zero. I'll say this, if he can pitch like last night and go 6 instead of 4 innings, I'll take that every start.
Agreed. He got a decent result. He just has to stop the 25 pitch innings.

Agreed. He got a decent result. He just has to stop the 25 pitch innings.
No doubt, I don't know why he nibbles so much. He seems like a kid who's a perfectionist so maybe he's not just going to say screw it, here's my gas, hit it. There are some hitters that he can just overpower without dinking around.

What the ever-loving F is Bell doing? Fairchild usually only plays against lefties and he has been hitting lefties well. So let's put him in the 3 hole against a righty. OK then.

Fraley is only hitting .425 against righties, maybe put him in the 3 hole? Just an idea...
Fairchild has hit well this year, but I don't get the constant protecting of Elly. He's one of your best offensive players, move him up!

Greene pitched pretty well, 8 k's over 4 innings, but just way too many 3-2 counts and then guys will foul 2-3 2 strike pitches off. He's so close to being great that it's nuts, but he just has to be more pitch efficient. He pleaded with Bell to go out for the 5th and I'd been ticked if I was him. He's 25 years old, he's a grown man. Just drives me nuts the way modern pitchers are handled. If I were Greene, I'd have a meeting with Krall and Bell and have some understanding of what my role is. I think he's fully capable of throwing 110-120 pitches. Take the training wheels off.
Right....go in and ask why you're being treated the same as every other MLB pitcher? A guy who's been plagued by injuries? While pitchers are dropping like flies around the league....sure go in and cause a scene in April because you haven't learned how to pitch efficiently which is a big reason he only has 9 career Wins.

Fairchild batting 3rd is just laugh-out-loud funny. I continue to believe this team will be hard-pressed to do any real damage in a postseason with Bell as the manager.

The batting numbers so far are a Tale of Two Cities: You have the good (De La Cruz, Steer, Fraley, Benson, Martini) and then the numbers just fall off a cliff for the rest of the roster. Espinal and Thompson can’t hit, and both catchers have been poor, so there’s really nowhere to turn besides hoping CES, Candelario, India and Fairchild figure things out.

The bullpen has several guys showing red flags, with Fernando Cruz predictably the most solid guy in the bullpen.

Reds pitchers are walking way too many guys. And starting pitching has been a very mixed bag and will probably remain so for awhile. Abbott has surprised me.

Two problem areas from last year to continue to watch:
1. Can the Reds hit playoff-caliber starting pitchers? Early returns aren’t promising.
2. Can the Reds do better in GABP early afternoon games?

It could be worse. Reds are 9-9 with all this:
- zero contribution from Marte, Friedl and McLain
- very little production from these guys (with OPS) Maile (.492), India (.538), CES (.526), Candelario (.629), Stephenson (.640)
- inconsistent starting pitching, except for Abbott
- inconsistent bullpen

On the plus side:
Steer (.992) and Elly (.956) have been great and played all 18. Fraley (.993) has been producing but has been seated for too many games - he needs to play every day. Martini (.854) has been a nice surprise. Benson (.783) has been hot and cold, but pretty good. Lodolo is back and had a great start.

Way too early to write this team off. They are at .500 with a lot of guys under-performing. Just need a few of the key guys to pick it up a little.

It could be worse. Reds are 9-9 with all this:
- zero contribution from Marte, Friedl and McLain
- very little production from these guys (with OPS) Maile (.492), India (.538), CES (.526), Candelario (.629), Stephenson (.640)
- inconsistent starting pitching, except for Abbott
- inconsistent bullpen

On the plus side:
Steer (.992) and Elly (.956) have been great and played all 18. Fraley (.993) has been producing but has been seated for too many games - he needs to play every day. Martini (.854) has been a nice surprise. Benson (.783) has been hot and cold, but pretty good. Lodolo is back and had a great start.

Way too early to write this team off. They are at .500 with a lot of guys under-performing. Just need a few of the key guys to pick it up a little.
It is a long season so hopefully things get better

Right....go in and ask why you're being treated the same as every other MLB pitcher? A guy who's been plagued by injuries? While pitchers are dropping like flies around the league....sure go in and cause a scene in April because you haven't learned how to pitch efficiently which is a big reason he only has 9 career Wins.
I'll tell you this, would Justin Verlander been taken out? Garrett Cole? There are certain #1 guys who get a say in how they are used. It used to be everyone, now we're molded these players where many don't care weather they pitch or not. They just go with the flow and never say boo.
Think about it. We have pitcher now who train 12 months out of the year, some have nutritionists, individual performance coaches, and injuries are more than EVER.... EVER!!! Maybe we're not doing things right??? Is that possible??
So what's your plan for Greene? When he's 27 are we still doing the kid gloves and limiting his pitches? 29 years old? 32 years old? When do we find out what he's fully capable of doing? He was drafted in 2018!!! 6 years ago!!