The Official 2024 Reds season thread

I'll tell you this, would Justin Verlander been taken out? Garrett Cole? There are certain #1 guys who get a say in how they are used. It used to be everyone, now we're molded these players where many don't care weather they pitch or not. They just go with the flow and never say boo.
Think about it. We have pitcher now who train 12 months out of the year, some have nutritionists, individual performance coaches, and injuries are more than EVER.... EVER!!! Maybe we're not doing things right??? Is that possible??
So what's your plan for Greene? When he's 27 are we still doing the kid gloves and limiting his pitches? 29 years old? 32 years old? When do we find out what he's fully capable of doing? He was drafted in 2018!!! 6 years ago!!
Comparing a kid with a 9-21 career record to guys that have won multiple Cy Young awards is just crazy. Greene does not have the track record or street cred to tell the manager what to do.

And you making assumptions that guys don't care whether they pitch or not is also insane. You have no idea how they feel, or what they say to the coaches in the clubhouse.

Please take your psyche meds and calm the F down. It is April 18. This season is a marathon and not a sprint, and we need Hunter, Lodolo, and all the guys for the long haul.

Comparing a kid with a 9-21 career record to guys that have won multiple Cy Young awards is just crazy. Greene does not have the track record or street cred to tell the manager what to do.

And you making assumptions that guys don't care whether they pitch or not is also insane. You have no idea how they feel, or what they say to the coaches in the clubhouse.

Please take your psyche meds and calm the F down. It is April 18. This season is a marathon and not a sprint, and we need Hunter, Lodolo, and all the guys for the long haul.
So let me put it on you. You're a 23 year old pro baseball player, you've reached the highest level of your sport. You're uber competitive just to get to this point. You feel fine, and yet the coaches keep yanking you out of games when you feel you can go longer....at what point do you say something? Or are you just content with making big money and winning or achieving greatness doesn't matter anymore??? What is it going to be big boy???

Max Scherzer stats....age 25-28 highlighted. If we're saving Hunter for when he's in his 30's, ok then, that's the goal. But I think we want more.
1713456013846.png

Attachments

• 1713456000908.png
    1713456000908.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 10
So onto current Reds thoughts, is this franchise snakebitten? Already missing Friedl, McLain and Marte from the lineup, Candelario finally starts hitting and then he's sick? Then the next day add CES???
Not making excuses because we still should be good enough to score runs, but we can't have Santiago Espinal in the lineup for any regular amount of time. Also, will be interesting to see if Bell sits India tomorrow. He is REALLY struggling the last few days. At least in the Chicago series, he got walked 4 times that one game so he was on base. He's not hitting or getting on base now. Call me nuts, but I'd stick Elly in the leadoff and let him do that for a few weeks. What's the downside? India is likely a bottom of the order hitter anyway.
I'd go:
Elly SS
Steer LF
CES 1B
Fraley RF
Candelario 3B
Benson DH
Fairchild CF
Stephenson/ Maile C
India 2B

So let me put it on you. You're a 23 year old pro baseball player, you've reached the highest level of your sport. You're uber competitive just to get to this point. You feel fine, and yet the coaches keep yanking you out of games when you feel you can go longer....at what point do you say something? Or are you just content with making big money and winning or achieving greatness doesn't matter anymore??? What is it going to be big boy???
Max Scherzer stats....age 25-28 highlighted. If we're saving Hunter for when he's in his 30's, ok then, that's the goal. But I think we want more.
View attachment 57544

I am certain all of the young pitchers are uber competitive and want to pitch. I would imagine that when Bell told Greene he was coming out, Greene told him "I'm good" or "I can go another inning", or something like that. But I have no idea what was said. What do you want him to do, have a tantrum so that you can see how much he wants to pitch?

Also, no one said we are saving Greene for his 30's. Stop making things up. I said it is a long season and we want him there for the whole season.

What do you think would have been accomplished if Greene went back out there, pitched the 5th inning, and threw 115 or 120 pitches instead of 98? Would the Reds have won that game? That extra inning that you are yelling about in mid April accomplishes nothing.

Don't know if you saw the clip, but Greene was shown pleading with Bell to get another inning. If he's my #1 / #2 starter, I'm listening to him. I believe it took Pegan just a few batters to get us behind in the 5th. So, who knows what happens if Greene goes back out there, but barring any kind of injury, if he says he can go, I'm going with him. You can always have someone in the pen ready and go batter by batter if you want.
I'm just going to have a different philosophy on pitching than most it seems.

1713466664824.png

I'll tell you this, would Justin Verlander been taken out? Garrett Cole? There are certain #1 guys who get a say in how they are used. It used to be everyone, now we're molded these players where many don't care weather they pitch or not. They just go with the flow and never say boo.
Think about it. We have pitcher now who train 12 months out of the year, some have nutritionists, individual performance coaches, and injuries are more than EVER.... EVER!!! Maybe we're not doing things right??? Is that possible??
So what's your plan for Greene? When he's 27 are we still doing the kid gloves and limiting his pitches? 29 years old? 32 years old? When do we find out what he's fully capable of doing? He was drafted in 2018!!! 6 years ago!!
You'll never understand that baseball isn't like it was in the 80s-90s will you. There will never be a pitcher that pitches that way again. At some point you may figure that out.

And comparing Hunter Greene to Justin Verlander and Garrett Cole has to be a joke right? He's won 9 major league games in 50 starts. He hasn't pitched anywhere close to a #1 and would be at the bottom of most MLB pitching staffs. And it's not like if he get's hurt or under performs that the Reds can just cut him, they have to pay him through 2028.

He has yet to make it though a season without long stints on the DL. He hasn't proven his body is capable of the additional workload. Matter of fact, it's proven that it can't handle the stresses of a MLB season. What's Hunter going to do, request a trade? HAHAHA

And most competitors want/ask to remain in the competition...doesn't mean you just keep them all in

Don't know if you saw the clip, but Greene was shown pleading with Bell to get another inning. If he's my #1 / #2 starter, I'm listening to him. I believe it took Pegan just a few batters to get us behind in the 5th. So, who knows what happens if Greene goes back out there, but barring any kind of injury, if he says he can go, I'm going with him. You can always have someone in the pen ready and go batter by batter if you want.
I'm just going to have a different philosophy on pitching than most it seems.

View attachment 57552
So you are admitting you were wrong when you said guys today don't care whether they pitch or not.

Another rehab assignment failure/reinjury: Ian Gibaut taken off rehab assignment with renewed forearm pain.

Lodolo is the clear ace of the staff at this point. Hopefully that 8th inning woke up the bats.

Wow do the Reds need Friedl back. Bubba and Fairchild are ridiculously bad
I hear you in terms of their misplays in CF. Bubba was brought in for speed and defense. Make that catch - it was in the webbing. His offense is non-existent so he needs to be flawless on D.

But Fairchild is growing on me. He is hitting lefties pretty well. A nice guy to have on the bench. Should not be batting 3rd when he plays, but good guy to have...

I hear you in terms of their misplays in CF. Bubba was brought in for speed and defense. Make that catch - it was in the webbing. His offense is non-existent so he needs to be flawless on D.

But Fairchild is growing on me. He is hitting lefties pretty well. A nice guy to have on the bench. Should not be batting 3rd when he plays, but good guy to have...
I should of clarified defensively

For the season as of 4/21/24, the Reds are 12-9, good for third place in the NL Central, 2.5 games behind first place Milwaukee. Cincy is playing at a .571 clip which would project out to 92 wins over 162 games.

For the week, the Reds were 3-3, dropping 3 in Seattle before sweeping the Angels at home this weekend. Reds are battling the flu and inconsistent hitting. Pitching wise, Lodolo has been has been an ace and Montas was injured in his last start. Despite injury, a team batting average of .227 and OPS of .717, the Reds have avoided their usual disastrous start.

So you are admitting you were wrong when you said guys today don't care whether they pitch or not.
I'm actually selling my point for Greene. For some reason Bell wants to save him for his 30's and not let the guy pitch. BTW, Verlander pitched in his first game the other night. 6 innings. You have any guess who made the call when he was coming out of the game??

For the season as of 4/21/24, the Reds are 12-9, good for third place in the NL Central, 2.5 games behind first place Milwaukee. Cincy is playing at a .571 clip which would project out to 92 wins over 162 games.

For the week, the Reds were 3-3, dropping 3 in Seattle before sweeping the Angels at home this weekend. Reds are battling the flu and inconsistent hitting. Pitching wise, Lodolo has been has been an ace and Montas was injured in his last start. Despite injury, a team batting average of .227 and OPS of .717, the Reds have avoided their usual disastrous start.
If we sweep every other series, I think Reds fans will be happy.

Wow do the Reds need Friedl back. Bubba and Fairchild are ridiculously bad
Look at Fairchild's offensive numbers. I'd say to this point of the season, combine Benson, Fairchild and we're not missing Friedl as much as anticipated. Friedl is and above average defender.

Has our manager ever given a legitimate answer as to why he insists on hitting Elly below 5th in the order? He's had Fairchild and Martini hit higher in games before??? You want to create clubhouse disharmony, don't reward your best players with the most opportunities to impact game.

Agreed. I think we all know the Reds have not played their best ball yet, and are missing key guys, so 12-9 is excellent. I would happily take 12-9 the next 21 games also.

But the schedule gets really tough now:
- 4 against the Phillies who have won 6 straight.
- 3 @ Texas - WS champs

Then in the next month:
- 3 against the Orioles
- 6 against the Dbacks - WS last year
- 6 against the Padres
- 7 against the Dodgers
- 3 @ San Francisco

All before Memorial Day. If the Reds can make it to Memorial Day at .500 or above, I like their chances. Most of the West Coast games will be done and we start to get our guys back.

Has our manager ever given a legitimate answer as to why he insists on hitting Elly below 5th in the order? He's had Fairchild and Martini hit higher in games before??? You want to create clubhouse disharmony, don't reward your best players with the most opportunities to impact game.
Stop with the drama - this "disharmony" sounds like talk radio crap invented to have something to blather about. I have never seen Elly unhappy with anyone. Nobody cheers more when other Reds do well.

I agree in principal that Elly should bat higher than 6th, but he did bat 2nd yesterday. Guess you missed that, or you picked the wrong time to post this.

Agreed. I think we all know the Reds have not played their best ball yet, and are missing key guys, so 12-9 is excellent. I would happily take 12-9 the next 21 games also.

But the schedule gets really tough now:
- 4 against the Phillies who have won 6 straight.
- 3 @ Texas - WS champs

Then in the next month:
- 3 against the Orioles
- 6 against the Dbacks - WS last year
- 6 against the Padres
- 7 against the Dodgers
- 3 @ San Francisco

All before Memorial Day. If the Reds can make it to Memorial Day at .500 or above, I like their chances. Most of the West Coast games will be done and we start to get our guys back.
One advantage of being old and a baseball fan is that you enjoy the season and individual performances as they unfold.

Look at Fairchild's offensive numbers. I'd say to this point of the season, combine Benson, Fairchild and we're not missing Friedl as much as anticipated. Friedl is and above average defender.
Fairchild - .250 BA, 0 HR, .593 OPS. Below average productivity. A few key misplays in CF. Decent guy to have on the bench.
Benson - after a quick start - bad. .186 BA, .288 OBP, zero for his last 16.

We miss Friedl quite a bit.

Elly is really blossoming into a superstar! He had a game the other day where he was 0-0 with four walks, that tells me he is laying off pitches outside the zone that he used to swing at. Love his aggression on the base paths even if he does get caught at times. Defensively he is getting better and better, but I still believe Marte will be the better SS with Elly at 3B. All this and he is only 22, the Red legs struck gold with this man

Elly is really blossoming into a superstar! He had a game the other day where he was 0-0 with four walks, that tells me he is laying off pitches outside the zone that he used to swing at. Love his aggression on the base paths even if he does get caught at times. Defensively he is getting better and better, but I still believe Marte will be the better SS with Elly at 3B. All this and he is only 22, the Red legs struck gold with this man
Let's not jinx the kid, but I agree.

21 games, 6 HR, 15 RBI, 20 Runs, 10 SB. Most importantly his OBP is .412 - nearing Votto territory - thanks to the 12 walks. When he is on base he is very impactful.

Elly is on pace for: 46 HR, 115 RBI, 154 Runs, 77 SB. Of course this will not happen. But no one has scored more than 154 runs in a season since Lou Gehrig in 1936.

Let's assume Elly comes back to Earth and only produces 80% of the above. That would be: 37 HR, 92 RBI, 123 Runs, 62 SB. That is just a tick below what Acuna did last year, which many have called the greatest season for a player ever.

Stop with the drama - this "disharmony" sounds like talk radio crap invented to have something to blather about. I have never seen Elly unhappy with anyone. Nobody cheers more when other Reds do well.

I agree in principal that Elly should bat higher than 6th, but he did bat 2nd yesterday. Guess you missed that, or you picked the wrong time to post this.
what could possibly be the reason he's not hitting in one of the top 4 spots daily?? And yes, Elly's a team guy, always cheering on this teammates. But C'mon, I mean what does the guy have to do to hit in the top of the order? Heck his on base is what now .410?

I don't know why everyone wants to get this kid off shortstop. He's playing a pretty good shortstop, yea, a few lapses but he's doing well. Why I like him there is the amount of ground he can cover on popups, plus on relays he's likely to be the relay guy.