The Masters, golfers address ‘shocking’ Georgia voting laws, push for boycott

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
As soon as Major League Baseball, in protest of Georgia’s controversial restrictive voting law, pulled its All-Star Game out of Atlanta, there were some knee-jerk reactions from people to boycott this week’s Masters and even for the annual event to be taken out of Georgia, along with calls for the PGA Tour to move its annual Tour Championship from Atlanta.

The law, signed last month, allows for election legislation to impose new voter identification requirements for absentee ballots and to empower state officials to take over local elections boards and limit the use of ballot drop boxes.

Who cares anymore... It sort of dawned on me that it’s 2021 in the U.S. and we’re talking about “voting rights” in the most free country on planet earth as if people aren’t allowed to even vote. The people of Georgia have ultimately decided on this as their system, just as we do here in Ohio. We elect the people that make these decisions, write these bills, and supposedly stand up for their constituents. If Georgia had enough Democratic support to turn blue nationally, then they should be able to keep their state legislature blue (for the most part- I know not always true). So, now we’re back at “it’s racist” or “inherently racist” for some reason or another, but the voting laws are not applied due to skin color, the rules apply to all citizens of Georgia. I know this point has been made, but that leads to one conclusion (on the race side of things), that minorities are unable to accomplish the same tasks as white people? Not sure, but that seems racist to me.

I want Rob Manfed to “boycott” his Augusta Membership. It’s pathetic that these people keep getting away with being the most racist people on the planet but keep telling everyone else that those people are racist! This sh it getting old quickly!

Not only is the Master's racist but Augusta National is also misogynistic. Where are the celebrities speaking out?

This event must be canceled.

States that turn colors usually turn nationally first then at the state level. An example of this is Virginia which was voting solid blue at the top for over a decade before they finally turned on the state level.

As for Georgia’s legislatures it has to be taken into account that they are heavily gerrymandered. It’s harder to know the actual will of the people with gerrymandering.
I understand what you’re saying, my premise is based on how long does that last? How long is the racist gerrymandering of the past going to be an excuse. I’m not denying what you’re saying as untrue. Just, how long does it last? Someone still won’t be satisfied no matter what, especially in today’s culture.

I understand what you’re saying, my premise is based on how long does that last? How long is the racist gerrymandering of the past going to be an excuse. I’m not denying what you’re saying as untrue. Just, how long does it last? Someone still won’t be satisfied no matter what, especially in today’s culture.
Ask Marcia Fudge

In perpetuity.

Lord Tyrion remind me what perpetuity means?
Forever your grace.

States that turn colors usually turn nationally first then at the state level. An example of this is Virginia which was voting solid blue at the top for over a decade before they finally turned on the state level.

As for Georgia’s legislatures it has to be taken into account that they are heavily gerrymandered. It’s harder to know the actual will of the people with gerrymandering.
I love how you all like to point to gerrymandering in Red states but ignore what happened out in California. The coastline is blue but when you get inland it's solid red but because of gerrymandering the whole state has the blues.

I love how you all like to point to gerrymandering in Red states but ignore what happened out in California. The coastline is blue but when you get inland it's solid red but because of gerrymandering the whole state has the blues.

CA got rid of political gerrymandering years ago and HR1 attempts to do the same nationally. Republicans want to protect gerrymandering because they currently benefit the most by the practice.

You either support gerrymandering, or you don't. Pretty simple.

If there is any good news it is that nationally, the majority of voters, in both parties, disapprove the practice. Ditto "dark money" campaign contributions. Unfortunately these days public majorities mean very little. Reason being Dem platform polls much better nationally than Pub platform on most big issues, so Pubs must rely on more undemocratic means to maintain power.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Interesting. Despite the florid headline, none of the golfers mentioned in the link were described or quoted as “pushing for a boycott”.
Most of them do not give a single f**k. This is just PR to avoid any controversy and further antagonizing the mob.

CA got rid of political gerrymandering years ago ....
Tell that to the farmers and Conservatives who live inland who are putting up with the Coastline electorate who have damaged that state so severely with their Progressive attitudes.

Justin Rose charges into four-shot lead with commanding first-round 65 at the Masters

Anyone else wondering if this headline might be considered offensive and too hostile.

Can anyone come up with a better headline so CNN won't offend so many people?

Maybe:
Justin Rose goes four-points lower with good first-round 65 at Augusta National

Words that seem troubling:
*charges
*shot
*lead
*commanding
*Masters

Justin Rose charges into four-shot lead with commanding first-round 65 at the Masters

Anyone else wondering if this headline might be considered offensive and too hostile.

Can anyone come up with a better headline so CNN won't offend so many people?

Maybe:
Justin Rose goes four-points lower with good first-round 65 at Augusta National

Words that seem troubling:
*charges
*shot
*lead
*commanding
*Masters
What font was used? That typically tells me a lot about someone’s true intentions.

CA got rid of political gerrymandering years ago and HR1 attempts to do the same nationally. Republicans want to protect gerrymandering because they currently benefit the most by the practice.

You either support gerrymandering, or you don't. Pretty simple.

If there is any good news it is that nationally, the majority of voters, in both parties, disapprove the practice. Ditto "dark money" campaign contributions. Unfortunately these days public majorities mean very little. Reason being Dem platform polls much better nationally than Pub platform on most big issues, so Pubs must rely on more undemocratic means to maintain power.
That you actually believe that is hilarious.