The 2011-2012 Mid-American Conference Thread

NEOst

Tip off of the season is about six and a half hours away, as Akron travels down to Mississippi State in the 2K Sports classic...thing.

What are your thoughts on the Mid-American Conference? Media has given a lot of love to the NEO schools, Akron and Kent, but can Ohio or even Miami be a surpirse?

It's the moossst wonderful tiiime, of the year!

Kent should win it, but they won't do it running away. They do have the most returning talent of anyone in the conference, but I think the MAC as a whole will produce its best brand of basketball since 2005 when 4 or 5 of its teams went to the NIT in addition to Ohio going to the dance.

Here's how I would rank the MAC right now (any of the bold teams could go dancing):

1. Kent
2. Akron
3. WMU
4. Ohio
5. Buffalo
6. Ball State
7. Miami
(wildcard team, they have some personnel and injury issues, but a complete roster would make a good team)
8. CMU
9. Bowling Green
10. EMU
11. Toledo
12. NIU (I predict a five win season for these guys)

Very solid win for Akron last night. I agree that we are in for a very good year of MAC basketball, there a lot of talent across the board. Kent is the favorite, but there is no way they run away with it. The entire east division is good (as always), and the west looks like they actually have some teams that will compete, specifically WMU and CMU.

Jarrod Jones, Javon McCrea and Zeke Marshall are really going to be annoying to deal with this year.

I like how Ohio is looking. The first scrimmage was Monday, and transfer Walter Offut (OSU/WSU) lit it up. Throw him into the scoring fray with Cooper and Baltic, and Ohio is going to be a very tough team to outscore, especially at home. The issue for Ohio is on the defensive end.

Northern Illinois solidifies their spot in the basement with a 62 point loss at Purdue. Gonna be a long season.

Northern Illinois solidifies their spot in the basement with a 62 point loss at Purdue. Gonna be a long season.

96-34 is really unbelievable. NIU is going to struggle with its non-D-1 opponents.

The MAC did go 3-1 yesterday, with BG, EMU and Buffalo all picking up wins.

Kent State has the potential to be very good this season. I don't see how they can be picked to "run away" with the league title. In the East there are four, maybe five, teams capable of beating anybody in the league (Akron, Buffalo, Kent and Ohio with Miami as a question mark). I think the first East team that wins on the road will go a long well towards telling the story.

In the West you have two solid teams in Ball St. and WMU. Luckily, the Flashes get both those teams at home.

Great first half, embarrassing 2nd half. I'm excited though, Walter Offutt is the real deal.

Hopefully Ball State or BG can pull off an upset. (Zona, Georgia)

They kind of choked down the stretch as Arizona's defense tightened up. Also were hurt by a questionable intentional foul call. Still, Jones had a huge game against a great opponent... They should be one of the tougher teams the West has seen in a couple years.

Good Lord, WVU is awful this year. No offense meant to Kent State, but a loss to them and NKU? Certainly awful in terms of a usually upper half BE team.

That being said, congrats to Kent on a big win for them.

Mississippi State up late on Zona... Akron has to be loving this. Meanwhile Miami is down 3 to Xavier with about 5 to play.

THE MAC IS BACK.

And Akron chokes against Valpo. :dang: Zeke Marshall played 11 minutes and fouled out... 0 points, couple blocks. He is a defensive difference maker... Needs to stay out of foul trouble.

And Akron chokes against Valpo. :dang: Zeke Marshall played 11 minutes and fouled out... 0 points, couple blocks. He is a defensive difference maker... Needs to stay out of foul trouble.

Sometimes I wonder if he is always focused. Certain games he seems to just make dumb mistakes and disappear.

Kent State struggled in the first half but pulled away for an easy win against Alcorn State 77-58.

Cleveland State at Kent State tonight. Sounds like it's going to be a very good crowd tonight!