Team and individual state champions.

psycho_dad

Ryan Champa of Woodridge was a state champion and on the state champion team in cross country. He was also a state champ in an event in track and field while on the state champion team. How often has that happened?

Not sure how many in total but Katy Radkewich did it during her junior season 1995-96.
She came close her freshman season, being the Runnerup in cross country while being on the both team champs and winning the 1600 and 3200.

Hard to believe it was that long ago that Radkewich ran.
She came close to doing it all 4 years. She was Runnerup in CC her freshman year, 11 points out of 1st in track her sophomore year, and injured in track her senior year.

Believe it or not, her fellow Blue Streaks alum Emily Infeld did it 2 years in a row (2006-7 and 2007-8). She won CC both years, team titles in both sports both years, and the 1600 and 800 both years.

Sunni lOlding did it a few times for Minster. I believe three team and individual titles in cc and maybe 10 event titles and 4 team titles in track. The kicker....won state basketball title her senior year.

Sunni lOlding did it a few times for Minster. I believe three team and individual titles in cc and maybe 10 event titles and 4 team titles in track. The kicker....won state basketball title her senior year.
She only won the quadruple crown her freshman year.

Susan Nash from Zansville Rosecrans had Individual and Team championships in CC and Track her senior year... 1982-83? and two Basketball titles to boot. Like Olding and Chapa, enjoyed another titles either in CC, track individual events, and or Relay teams. Interestingly, she won the 100 Meters, 400, 800, CC and whatever was needed ... Maybe the most titles if you include them all.

I think it would be interesting to state how many of the state qualifying events for a school resulted in state champion events. La Salle has eight of the 17 events: three field (shot put, pole vault, discus), two relays (4 x 800, 4 x 100), and three individual running events( 400, 1600, 3200).,

Last edited:
Claudia Saunders (Princeton) was the 100 hurdles state champion in 2010, and the individual CC state champ in 2011. That range met in the middle during her NCAA career, when she went back-to-back as the 800m runner-up in '14 and '15.

John Zishka, Lancaster: 1979 AAA XC Team Champions, Individual Champion of the team race. 1980 AAA T&F Team Champions, Individual 3200M Champion.

Claudia Saunders (Princeton) was the 100 hurdles state champion in 2010, and the individual CC state champ in 2011. That range met in the middle during her NCAA career, when she went back-to-back as the 800m runner-up in '14 and '15.
She also ran under 43 in the 300 hurdles.

I remember wondering if Saunders would have ever been a good multi athlete. In high school she dabbled with the pole vault but was never serious about it. I don’t believe that she ever did any throwing events. At Stanford she mostly concentrated on the 800 and did some 400s and 1500s along with relay duty.

if they had a “running pentathlon,” in which the competitors did something like the 100 hurdles, 200, 400 or 400 hurdles, 800, and 1500, she would have been outstanding.