Teacher faces termination after calling in sick for 2 days to attend a concert in Nashville, district says

Exactly.

People will read this, and we are talking bout it!

Also is wise to prep the battlefield ...complain of not feeling well at work the day prior...kick around the idea of leaving early....
sounds like somebody has done this before?

Would you want your little Johnny coming home and telling you that the teacher gave all the whole school Covid?
Honestly wouldn't care. Worse things have happened. But you are missing my point.
Teacher's used to come to school unless they were really really sick.
This is no longer the case. COVID played a part but also the senior teachers realized the years of toughing it out weren't worth it and relayed that down the chain. If the best severance you can hope for is 1/4th of 30 days pay at retirement then why shouldn't you take some sick days just because you have to do.

Honestly wouldn't care. Worse things have happened. But you are missing my point.
Teacher's used to come to school unless they were really really sick.
This is no longer the case. COVID played a part but also the senior teachers realized the years of toughing it out weren't worth it and relayed that down the chain. If the best severance you can hope for is 1/4th of 30 days pay at retirement then why shouldn't you take some sick days just because you have to do.
I guess I should have added the sarcastic button on my post. :cool: 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
On to my next question, Has anyone noticed that when you add a laughing icon The one where it is tilted and LOL!)
it gets deleted?:LOL:;):p:banana::stirthepot:(n)
Well now all of a sudden it's working. Go figure.

First year I taught back when a thing called personal days had not been heard of. I called in and told them I would not be able to come to work that day because my car was stole some time in the night. This honesty cost me getting paid and cost me 1/184 of my contracted pay. when I protested I was told I was not sick and all I said was Yes I was, I was sick because my car was stolen. By the way the car was never heard of again. It taught me sometimes you have to lie and I did for the rest of my teaching career.

First year I taught back when a thing called personal days had not been heard of. I called in and told them I would not be able to come to work that day because my car was stole some time in the night. This honesty cost me getting paid and cost me 1/184 of my contracted pay. when I protested I was told I was not sick and all I said was Yes I was, I was sick because my car was stolen. By the way the car was never heard of again. It taught me sometimes you have to lie and I did for the rest of my teaching career.
My sixth year, and first at this job, I told the principal I needed a personal day tomorrow because a plumber was coming to the house.

At the time personal days required an explanation and prior approval. The principal knew I lived out of town and told me to just take a sick day and not to tell anyone.

So I did.

My sixth year, and first at this job, I told the principal I needed a personal day tomorrow because a plumber was coming to the house.

At the time personal days required an explanation and prior approval. The principal knew I lived out of town and told me to just take a sick day and not to tell anyone.

So I did.
Statute of limitations expire on that transgression?

So I did.
This is how it should be because you and other stand up people would never abuse it.

Every rule, zero tolerance policy, and the need to document every little thing stems from the abusers who ruin it for everyone.

I don't understand why people are so upset about this. It's about being dishonest and misusing the sick days. They're supposed to be used for a genuine personal or family illness and this was anything but that. She made a huge mistake by not keeping her mouth shut. Had she done so, it's entirely possible not a single soul would have found out.

This is how it should be because you and other stand up people would never abuse it.

Every rule, zero tolerance policy, and the need to document every little thing stems from the abusers who ruin it for everyone.
When I was in HS they implemented a Zero Tolerance policy on fighting. The fights actually got worse because there was no longer any incentive to walk away.

My wifes a teacher..(english)...has 25 years in and has over 280 sick days saved. I can't get her to take a day off.....

My wifes a teacher..(english)...has 25 years in and has over 280 sick days saved. I can't get her to take a day off.....
You won't be complaining much when she cashes in 300 sick days at her per diem (for most of them) when she retires in 9 more years

Highly doubt she will get even close to 300 days worth of time paid out even at a reduced rate.
IDK where she teaches...so who really knows, but I do know where I teach...and I know what our pay out has been as long as I can remember. So that is where my comment comes from.

IDK where she teaches...so who really knows, but I do know where I teach...and I know what our pay out has been as long as I can remember. So that is where my comment comes from.
My dad just retired last year after 37 years. Their payout was a small percentage of a small number of days.

My dad just retired last year after 37 years. Their payout was a small percentage of a small number of days.
Every single district in the state of Ohio is different and dependent upon the negotiated contract. The better your negotiation team is, the better your contracted benefits. Everyone's parent/wife/cousin/friend contracted sick day payout is NOT the same as everyone else in Ohio. 100% I am cashing out 300 days... most of them at a reduced rate. Sounds like I got very lucky with my employer with regard to this piece.

To the topic... I have heard of people who "made mistake" of taking sick time for reasons other than being sick, getting "busted" and then being docked their pay. I have not heard of someone being fired. It is interesting that so many (non-teachers) jump right on the fire her bandwagon.

To the topic... I have heard of people who "made mistake" of taking sick time for reasons other than being sick, getting "busted" and then being docked their pay. I have not heard of someone being fired. It is interesting that so many (non-teachers) jump right on the fire her bandwagon.
I'm not on that bandwagon but considering the "pressure" placed on some people to never miss work, I can understand it.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. For some teachers, it's more of a pain to miss a day, have a sub come in, disrupt the class, then pick up the pieces the next day. And is there anything wrong with not wanted to miss work?

My guess is there is more to this story than just getting rid of the teacher. If this was a top notch teacher - as hard as it is to find and keep good teachers, this would had never been a story to begin with.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. For some teachers, it's more of a pain to miss a day, have a sub come in, disrupt the class, then pick up the pieces the next day. And is there anything wrong with not wanted to miss work?
Yep...and that's why she never takes off.

On face value no. But in a world is increasingly not rewarding people who tough it out, there is less and less reason to never miss work. My job used to pay out unused vacation upon retirement. Now they will pay 1 week, anything else is forfeit. We used to be able to carry some vacation between years, no longer allowed to do that and there is no payout for unused time.

On face value no. But in a world is increasingly not rewarding people who tough it out, there is less and less reason to never miss work. My job used to pay out unused vacation upon retirement. Now they will pay 1 week, anything else is forfeit. We used to be able to carry some vacation between years, no longer allowed to do that and there is no payout for unused time.
What's stopping you from taking a long vacation before retiring leaving just one week left to cash out?

There's a good and bad to what you just said. On the surface, company's GIVE sick time to employees to use for being...sick. You know the old honor policy. That should not be assumed as MY time. But as we all know, there are certain types who blow through their sick time and never have a bank of hours to have ....for when REAL emergencies come up. You dock and employee on evaluations for not being at work then they get ticked for being called out. It's just a NO WIN situation for the employer. So now a guy like you will ding a company for being good stuards and having a bank of sick hours for employee to use, then get ticked because it's not paid out?? Again, no win situation. Big bad company. And we wonder why company's try to automate as many jobs as possible?