Suggestions for first handgun for home defense?

Short barreled shotgun is easier to move with. 20 gauge might be OK, 12 gauge is definitely better. Most people think pump, but under pressure a double-barreled is easier. Only two shots though. Something less than 00 buck is less likely to penetrate walls, which is an issue with family in the house.

9mm handgun. Ammo is cheap and you need to practice. Less kick than a .38. Any magnum is more likely to penetrate walls. Make sure you buy something that is comfortable in you hand. I wouldn't buy a compact if you do not intend to carry. Bigger absorbs more of the recoil and is easier to grip with two hands. Glock is very good, but some other good brands are cheaper.

Take a safety class. I always recommend the CCW/concealed carry class.

I don't like dogs and my cat would just want to play.

Last edited:
Since concealment is not an issue in home protection, I would buy a full size pistol, not a compact. I prefer a single/double to a double action. So, I have a Beretta 92FS, which is the same as the US Army's M9, recently retired. Just like my wife's compact Bersa 380, it has an external hammer. Since it has an external hammer, it can be cocked to ready the weapon. 15 rounds of 9mm should serve your purposes.

When I went through this process I went to the gun store of a friend and told him I wanted a gun I could use as I was pissing down my leg as that's the situation in which you would need it. I didn't want to be worrying about slides or anything else in an emergency situation. I ended up with a Ruger Revolver, an LCR, that's also a very easy weapon to carry.

Glock 19 or 43x?
Hellcat?
Sig Sauer?
Complete newbie to guns.
Budget is no more than $600
launcher drainpipe GIF

Agreed “home defense” is just an excuse for “I want a gun, it would be cool”. My wife is more apt to go along with it if I call it “home defense”. I already have a Dog. He is useless, he would side with the burglar.
My carry is a Sig 365 in 9 mm Wife carries a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in .40. Similar in size.
Look at a Sig Tac Pac. Decent price and it comes with 3 mags and a holster. Quality firearm.

Why do you want a gun? "Home defense?" Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Kids in the house? Do you and your wife argue with each other like you do with others on here? ;) Do you plan on taking a gun safety course?

You said "home defense" so I'm gonna roll with it. Gun ownership for home defense is BS and the numbers prove it. You want home defense buy a dog. Most men buy guns becuase they like the power they think it gives them. Guns in a house are used far more for intimidation of others or kids finding them than self-defense. Burglars come when you are not home. IF they do come when you are home can you get to the gun in time? Are you willing to pull the trigger? You'd be surprised how many guys think they'd be Bruce Willis from Die Hard and are not. You'd also be amazed at how inaccurate you can be with a handgun. And it never happens like the movies. You have to hear the burglar, then you have to get the gun and rack it (assuming it is not ready to rock), go and find the perp without you already alerting them to you. Then make sure it is not your kid sneaking in or out or your wife surprising you with a bunt cake. If you have to lock the thing up because of kids or wife then it is even more ridiculous for "home defense."

I'm not trying to be a but you need to ask yourself all of these questions. I'm surgical with my 9mm but to be honest, as sound as I sleep, a burglar could steal it from right under my matress without me ever knowing. :ROFLMAO:

"Home defense" is BS. If you want it like most men do, because it is cool, and target practice is fun, well then join the club.

As others have mentioned, IF you are going to buy something for true "home defense" experts will suggest a tactical shotgun.
You downplay a gun for home defense based on current conditions. The stats people quote are based on current conditions. I believe home defense begins when there is a sudden, catastrophic break down in society. If the next terrorist attack on the US targets the electrical grid you might see what I am talking about. Things will turn ugly real fast. That’s when you might be glad you had the foresight to arm yourself to protect your home.

You downplay a gun for home defense based on current conditions. The stats people quote are based on current conditions. I believe home defense begins when there is a sudden, catastrophic break down in society. If the next terrorist attack on the US targets the electrical grid you might see what I am talking about. Things will turn ugly real fast. That’s when you might be glad you had the foresight to arm yourself to protect your home.
You are talking about a different topic. Did you read what I said? About a handgun for home defense? To the OP?