Suggestions for first handgun for home defense?

1636682777293.jpeg

Think this would fit you perfectly.

Not sure I want a revolver. Seems overkill for home protection. Especially a 357 Magnum. That would basically cut a Prowler in half. Just want to let them know they made a mistake breaking into my house, not eviscerate them.

Not sure I want a revolver. Seems overkill for home protection. Especially a 357 Magnum. That would basically cut a Prowler in half. Just want to let them know they made a mistake breaking into my house, not eviscerate them.
Actually, the revolver would be less overkill (no pun intended) than a semiautomatic hand gun. If the goal is to protect your family, you need a weapon with some punch. If you just want to let them know that they made a "mistake", then get a BB gun. Any gun, even a 22, can be deadly at close range, such as inside your home.

One of the Glock 9mm would be a good choice for you. Most nines are smooth with little recoil effect, but you must practice, practice, practice. Shooting a handgun isn’t easy like on TV. You will be surprised how poor your aim is at anything beyond very close range when you first start. The nine is certainly not the most powerful load, but in home defense you’ll want to be able to easily squeeze off several rounds at a perp rather than hope you hit with your first shot from a big revolver like a .357 or .44. The perp will be on you before you’re over the recoil of your first shot from one of those hand cannons.

For true reliability, a shotgun is a great bet. Even the bravest home invader will feel their hole pucker a bit when they hear you pump the shotgun.

Why do you want a gun? "Home defense?" Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Kids in the house? Do you and your wife argue with each other like you do with others on here? ;) Do you plan on taking a gun safety course?

You said "home defense" so I'm gonna roll with it. Gun ownership for home defense is BS and the numbers prove it. You want home defense buy a dog. Most men buy guns becuase they like the power they think it gives them. Guns in a house are used far more for intimidation of others or kids finding them than self-defense. Burglars come when you are not home. IF they do come when you are home can you get to the gun in time? Are you willing to pull the trigger? You'd be surprised how many guys think they'd be Bruce Willis from Die Hard and are not. You'd also be amazed at how inaccurate you can be with a handgun. And it never happens like the movies. You have to hear the burglar, then you have to get the gun and rack it (assuming it is not ready to rock), go and find the perp without you already alerting them to you. Then make sure it is not your kid sneaking in or out or your wife surprising you with a bunt cake. If you have to lock the thing up because of kids or wife then it is even more ridiculous for "home defense."

I'm not trying to be a but you need to ask yourself all of these questions. I'm surgical with my 9mm but to be honest, as sound as I sleep, a burglar could steal it from right under my matress without me ever knowing. :ROFLMAO:

"Home defense" is BS. If you want it like most men do, because it is cool, and target practice is fun, well then join the club.

As others have mentioned, IF you are going to buy something for true "home defense" experts will suggest a tactical shotgun.

Why do you want a gun? "Home defense?" Do you live in a bad neighborhood? Kids in the house? Do you and your wife argue with each other like you do with others on here? ;) Do you plan on taking a gun safety course?

You said "home defense" so I'm gonna roll with it. Gun ownership for home defense is BS and the numbers prove it. You want home defense buy a dog. Most men buy guns becuase they like the power they think it gives them. Guns in a house are used far more for intimidation of others or kids finding them than self-defense. Burglars come when you are not home. IF they do come when you are home can you get to the gun in time? Are you willing to pull the trigger? You'd be surprised how many guys think they'd be Bruce Willis from Die Hard and are not. You'd also be amazed at how inaccurate you can be with a handgun. And it never happens like the movies. You have to hear the burglar, then you have to get the gun and rack it (assuming it is not ready to rock), go and find the perp without you already alerting them to you. Then make sure it is not your kid sneaking in or out or your wife surprising you with a bunt cake. If you have to lock the thing up because of kids or wife then it is even more ridiculous for "home defense."

I'm not trying to be a but you need to ask yourself all of these questions. I'm surgical with my 9mm but to be honest, as sound as I sleep, a burglar could steal it from right under my matress without me ever knowing. :ROFLMAO:

"Home defense" is BS. If you want it like most men do, because it is cool, and target practice is fun, well then join the club.

As others have mentioned, IF you are going to buy something for true "home defense" experts will suggest a tactical shotgun.
Agreed “home defense” is just an excuse for “I want a gun, it would be cool”. My wife is more apt to go along with it if I call it “home defense”. I already have a Dog. He is useless, he would side with the burglar.