State Tournament - Division I

Marcus Blaze went undefeated (55-0) while winning Ironman and a DI Title as a freshman. I was trying to think if that has been done before?

Marcus Blaze went undefeated (55-0) while winning Ironman and a DI Title as a freshman. I was trying to think if that has been done before?
Brad Squire Wadsworth Freshman 2007 34-0 Ironman Champ 119lb State Champ

EDIT: Suplex21 has corrected my fake news. He was an Ironman champ his sophomore year not his freshman year

Last edited:
Perrysburg was so close to winning the tournament. They were just a take-down (120 lbs.) and last-second reversal avoidance (165 lbs.) away in the finals from taking home the championship trophy by 1.5 points. Then again, St. Edward was just an escape away in two matches (285 lbs. in Second Consolation round and 175 lbs. in Semi-finals) from adding 2 major decision points and keeping the trophy. There are always “what ifs” at the state tourney.

Let’s shift to what actually did happen. The table below provides a breakdown of why St. Edward managed to outscore Perrysburg. In a nutshell, it was team depth (12 wrestlers vs. 8; all 12 of Eds wrestlers scored points, only one did not place) and bonus points.

1647306610978.png

Note: Bonus points are net of a 1-point team penalty on the Eagles

In any case, both teams are to be congratulated for making this such a tightly-contested tournament and winning trophies.

Perrysburg was so close to winning the tournament. They were just a take-down (120 lbs.) and last-second reversal avoidance (165 lbs.) away in the finals from taking home the championship trophy by 1.5 points. Then again, St. Edward was just an escape away in two matches (285 lbs. in Second Consolation round and 175 lbs. in Semi-finals) from adding 2 major decision points and keeping the trophy. There are always “what ifs” at the state tourney.

Let’s shift to what actually did happen. The table below provides a breakdown of why St. Edward managed to outscore Perrysburg. In a nutshell, it was team depth (12 wrestlers vs. 8; all 12 of Eds wrestlers scored points, only one did not place) and bonus points.

View attachment 27645

In any case, both teams are to be congratulated for making this such a tightly-contested tournament and winning trophies.
Thank you for breaking that down. Great analysis.

View attachment 27645

My son and I watched the penalty point happen and discussed the possibility of it determining the team title. It gave me the opportunity to talk to him about controlling emotions.

Edit: thanks for doing the analysis. Good demonstration on how important winning in the consos is.

My son and I watched the penalty point happen and discussed the possibility of it determining the team title. It gave me the opportunity to talk to him about controlling emotions.

Edit: thanks for doing the analysis. Good demonstration on how important winning in the consos is.
I was matside for this. I actually asked the guy standing next to me, “the STED kid won, right!?” His emotions just took over! I’m unsure where they found the headgear!!

Was this a rematch, or was there even a backstory (other than the current team race)???

I was matside for this. I actually asked the guy standing next to me, “the STED kid won, right!?” His emotions just took over! I’m unsure where they found the headgear!!

Was this a rematch, or was there even a backstory (other than the current team race)???

No clue as to the answer to your questions. Would be interested in the answer though.

Did Chris Phillips from Monroeville do this as a Freshman as well? He won Ironman (beating Roddy) and State... assuming he went undefeated as well.
I think you are right. To this day the best HS wrestler I have ever seen. What he did as a frosh, at a higher weight, was incredible. I believe he was Burnett trained as well?

Didn't want to start a new thread. In projecting 2023 I see very little change in the balance of power. 1) Eds 2) Perrysburg 3) Wadsworth
4) Brecksville 5) Massilon Perry. Not expecting the State Duals to be much different. Kind of like college football; the usual suspects LOL!!

White was the kid that knocked Eaton to the consi rounds. Loss avenged. I think he was shocked by the pin.

Not D1, but David Taylor was an undefeated freshman with a state title to accompany his Ironman championship for D2 Graham in 2006.

I think people are wondering what you are talking about. “Rival wrestling site” . Show examples, let’s see where the mis information is spewing from.

Got it. here is what I responded to:
Teddid said:
Not sure if Perrysburg is open enrollment, but if you click on Marcus Blaze profile on Track, it says he is from Clinton, MI.
There was a follow up to that comment with this (I copied it here)

Perrysburg has at least 3 kids not originally from Perrysburg, that I know of.

That is what I had responded to. I had heard a similar comment on a different website and I was just curious about whether or not the Blaze brothers were in fact living in Clinton and attending Perrysburg. I had no idea how that could be possible, but I don't know what rules are in place, if Perrysburg was open enrollment, parents divorced with one living in P'burg, etc. It seemed strange and was only curious if there was something unusual that would have allowed that situation to take place. Not looking to start any rumors.

I am a fan of Perrysburg wrestling and Scottie Burnett and their program. My nephew's son wrestled in the biddy program at P'burg and S. Burnett went out of his way to congratulate him in front of the entire P'burg "Beehive" for wrestling on an Ohio team over the summer a few years ago and getting a win by fall in his match against the California Gold team in Las Vegas. That was pretty cool of him to do that.

Last edited:
I think people are wondering what you are talking about. “Rival wrestling site” . Show examples, let’s see where the mis information is spewing from.
And when I meant a "rival wrestling site" it was on a Facebook page for a High School program where I saw the similar comment. I'm not going to reveal where it came from or who said it. I'll just leave it at being something that was stated and is very similar to the second comment I copied over to my response above. Now that I can put it into context, it was just a comment about "homegrown" talent vs. "imported" talent - even though the person making the statement is at a school that has benefitted from wrestlers moving into the district four times in the past 10 years.