State predictions

Just one individual title, a team accomplishment.
No doubt about that and looking back, I probably should have bumped up Marion Local in my projections just based off the fact it was Marion Local. Those kids over there have that competitive nature instilled into them. So, it really isn't a surprise that every one of them stepped up on the big stage.

Glenville takes the much-predicted gold trophy in boys D2. Woodridge boys ninja their way to the runner-up trophy. Meanwhile, Woodridge girls displayed a nearly equal amount of stealth in claiming the D2 girls team title. Juliette Laracuente-Huebner caps off a terrific weekend with 4 individual titles and a team runner-up trophy to put in the Highland trophy case.

Psycho_Dad might be a little happy but would certainly be way happier if that boys silver was gold. What can you do though? Glenville was that good.

No doubt about that and looking back, I probably should have bumped up Marion Local in my projections just based off the fact it was Marion Local. Those kids over there have that competitive nature instilled into them. So, it really isn't a surprise that every one of them stepped up on the big stage.
When Marion Local is in the hunt it has been "historically speaking" bad idea to bet against them in anything.

I had a little time on my hand this evening and simulated the boys D1 meet based off a mix of regional times and season bests. We'll find out how close these are next week, but I have Lancaster edging out Pickerington Central 36-34 for the team title with Toledo St. John's (26), Licking Heights (25) and Avon (25) rounding out the top five. Here's my scoring breakdown for those teams:

1. Lancaster: 800 meters, Thress (first, 10); 4X8 (first, 10); Pole vault, Long (first, 10) and Edwards (third, 6)
2. Pickerington Central: 100 meters, Lane (first, 10); 200 meters, Lane (second, 8); 4X2 (second, 8); 4X4 (second, 8)
3. Toledo St. John's: 100 meters, Kelly (eighth, 1); 200 meters, Kelly (fifth, 4); 400 meters, Taylor (fourth, 5); 4X2 (third, 6); 4X4 (first, 10)
4. Licking Heights: 200 meters, Fillmore (first, 10); 4X1 (fourth, 5); Long jump, Fillmore (first, 10)
5. Avon: 400 meters, Weatherspoon (eighth, 1); 300 hurdles, Lindsay (seventh, 2); 4X1 (third, 6); 4X2 (seventh, 2); 4X4 (fourth, 5); Discus, Hamilton (fourth, 5); shot put, Hamilton (fifth, 4)

As I suspected, Pickerington Central being DQ'd in the 4X100 opens up the team race. They would have been a big favorite there, however, my second place prediction for them in the 4X400 is assuming Lane joins that relay now (he ran an open 400 this year so it wouldn't be his first time at that distance).

My dark horse is definitely Avon, which IMO has the best overall collection of entrants. The problem is I don't see them winning any event, but they have a lot of wiggle room.

I was going to run the boys D2, but then I saw that Glenville has 2 in both the 100 and 200; one in the 400; all three sprint relays are title favorites and a high jumper who should score. Unless disaster happens, they'll easily roll up 50-plus points.

Any other thoughts/predictions are welcome.
I had a little time on my hand this evening and simulated the boys D1 meet based off a mix of regional times and season bests. We'll find out how close these are next week, but I have Lancaster edging out Pickerington Central 36-34 for the team title with Toledo St. John's (26), Licking Heights (25) and Avon (25) rounding out the top five. Here's my scoring breakdown for those teams:

1. Lancaster: 800 meters, Thress (first, 10); 4X8 (first, 10); Pole vault, Long (first, 10) and Edwards (third, 6)
2. Pickerington Central: 100 meters, Lane (first, 10); 200 meters, Lane (second, 8); 4X2 (second, 8); 4X4 (second, 8)
3. Toledo St. John's: 100 meters, Kelly (eighth, 1); 200 meters, Kelly (fifth, 4); 400 meters, Taylor (fourth, 5); 4X2 (third, 6); 4X4 (first, 10)
4. Licking Heights: 200 meters, Fillmore (first, 10); 4X1 (fourth, 5); Long jump, Fillmore (first, 10)
5. Avon: 400 meters, Weatherspoon (eighth, 1); 300 hurdles, Lindsay (seventh, 2); 4X1 (third, 6); 4X2 (seventh, 2); 4X4 (fourth, 5); Discus, Hamilton (fourth, 5); shot put, Hamilton (fifth, 4)

As I suspected, Pickerington Central being DQ'd in the 4X100 opens up the team race. They would have been a big favorite there, however, my second place prediction for them in the 4X400 is assuming Lane joins that relay now (he ran an open 400 this year so it wouldn't be his first time at that distance).

My dark horse is definitely Avon, which IMO has the best overall collection of entrants. The problem is I don't see them winning any event, but they have a lot of wiggle room.

I was going to run the boys D2, but then I saw that Glenville has 2 in both the 100 and 200; one in the 400; all three sprint relays are title favorites and a high jumper who should score. Unless disaster happens, they'll easily roll up 50-plus points.

Any other thoughts/predictions are welcome.
Almost spot on for D1. St. John’s gets an unexpected four points from long jump and sophomore Kelly gets third in the 100 to make the difference. Winning it on the 4x4 is all time stuff. First time the d1 trophy is making the trip to NWO since 1997!

Woodridge girls won their regional(73.5 points), and the boys were a very high scoring (74) second to Glenville (84) at the Regional. The state finishes seem appropriate.

10.82 doesn't score in the 100m dash. That hurts.,

The poor sportsmanship that is promoted / rewarded by milesplit is upsetting. The officials need to start DQing for it. Upsetting to see the direction of coverage for the sport.

View attachment 42236
The winning foursome of Evab Trapp, Jack Nesbit, Alex Garay, and AJ Graf that went 7:45.21 to win the DI 4 x 800 relay title
Photo retrieved from St.Xsport.net
The only other SWO District (Mason, Ross, New Richmond) athletes who won a state championship were the La Salle 4 x 100 relay team

1685901759747.png

Am I missing anyone?

Almost spot on for D1. St. John’s gets an unexpected four points from long jump and sophomore Kelly gets third in the 100 to make the difference. Winning it on the 4x4 is all time stuff. First time the d1 trophy is making the trip to NWO since 1997!
Watching the 4x4 semi on Friday, I noticed SJJ's anchor with the #4 numbers on at the back on the line at the exchange zone. I'm not sure how they got there...I just thought it was wierd that the best seed in that heat was at the back after 3/4 of the race. The anchor tried to move, and I think he got as high as 5th before falling back to 7th on the front stretch. I thought..."too bad, I'm sure they thought they had a shot". Never bothered to look at the results after the 2nd heat.

Fast forward to Saturday night, having forgotten about the night before. Looked at the team scores online after the 3200 and saw SJJ was needed 4th or better to win outright. Oh, they're in lane 9...be hard to place that high as the last one in. It wasn't until they won that I remembered the race from the night before. It's amazing that they were even in the finals after finishing 7th in their heat on Friday, but that 7th made it possible for them to win not just that race...but the whole thing on Saturday.

Does anyone know how many schools have had their boys and girls take home team trophies at the state meet the same year? Woodridge did it this year. Before I sit down and take the big dive into it, I thought I'd ask. I was asked the question and I have no idea.

I remember as a kid seeing Dayton Jefferson have boys and girls both as Runners up. 75 Then 76 the girls won and boys were runners up. I'll have to go and look. I was like 10 years old, but I remember that. They were both champs in 77. I'm certain of that. Dayton Jefferson was huge for a few years in the mid to late 70's Then again in the mid to late 80's. I think they moved to A in 86 when Woodridge was runners up. to Bishop Hartley.

Dayton Jefferson and Dunbar.

Surprisingly. Akron North used to be pretty good.

You would think Minster, but back in the early - mid 80's when I ran, they would win girls one year and boys another. They were not in sync both at the same time.

Last edited:
Shelby won both titles in 2003.

I feel foolish for not remembering that St. Thomas Aquinas won both D3 team titles in 2016. Nobody lost to them more often than my school did, and my school had a pretty good team that year (boys won 4 events at regionals and went to state in 5 events, girls went to state in 6 events and were All-Ohio in 4 of them).

Minster boys didn’t when a state title in track till a couple years ago. I think it may of been the first trophy, either champion or runner-up for a boys MAC boys team.

Minster boys didn’t when a state title in track till a couple years ago. I think it may of been the first trophy, either champion or runner-up for a boys MAC boys team.
Correct. The Minster boys won it in 2021, when their girls finished a pedestrian (for them) 10th.

Here is how stupid I am. I'm mistaking Minster girls with Minster Girls and Woodridge boys. They would win one year then Runners up the next it seemed. I went to college with a girl from Minster and I think they had 7 or 8 trophies in a row. We joked about it. Then Woodridge boys were Runners up and Minster didn't get a 1st or 2nd. Minster Boys won the same year Woodridge boys did. I sort of mixed a lot of things together.

Does anyone know how many schools have had their boys and girls take home team trophies at the state meet the same year? Woodridge did it this year. Before I sit down and take the big dive into it, I thought I'd ask. I was asked the question and I have no idea.

I remember as a kid seeing Dayton Jefferson have boys and girls both as Runners up. 75 Then 76 the girls won and boys were runners up. I'll have to go and look. I was like 10 years old, but I remember that. They were both champs in 77. I'm certain of that. Dayton Jefferson was huge for a few years in the mid to late 70's Then again in the mid to late 80's. I think they moved to A in 86 when Woodridge was runners up. to Bishop Hartley.

Dayton Jefferson and Dunbar.

Surprisingly. Akron North used to be pretty good.

You would think Minster, but back in the early - mid 80's when I ran, they would win girls one year and boys another. They were not in sync both at the same time.
Hartley boys and girls won both AA titles in '86.

Milesplit’s write up did not bother me. As it is both a team and individual sport, I don’t think it’s inappropriate to highlight strong individual performances. Those performances help the team 🤷‍♀️

Why, did it bother you that had your 4x400 team gotten 7th-9th or not finish that an INDIVIDUAL would have beaten your team..haha
Why would something that didn't happen bother me? Good for her. She seems like a great kid and deserves all she gets. If an individual makes it through all the rounds and scores enough points to win the team title, that's a great story and a great achievement.

Read the recaps then tell me what teams won each division / each gender. Is that not the goal of the season? Do you read about basketball and only hear about individual performances for teams that did not win? No mention of a team that nearly doubled up the runners up. The team titles were complete afterthoughts and got no more than a brief mention in a single sentence in the RECAP OF THE STATE MEET CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Our girls team at least got mentioned.

Last edited:
There are two Recaps out there. The milesplit Recap made little or no mention of team champs or runners-up or much of the team aspect. The OHSAA recaps are much better although they got some school affiliations messed up. ie. the DIII 1600/3200 champ is from East Canton not "East Clinton" but the overall write-up was better. I too am a team guy and keeping up with the team scores make for a more exciting meet as you can monitor every event instead of just the few where you may be rooting for your kids or athletes who you know.