November 30, 2022
News Release – Ohio High School Athletic Association
Executive Director Doug Ute

www.OHSAA.org | www.twitter.com/OHSAASports | www.Facebook.com/OHSAASports

For Immediate Release – Nov. 30, 2022
Contact –
Tim Stried, Director of Communications, tstried@ohsaa.org

OHSAA Football Finals on Spectrum and the OHSAA Radio Network
All seven state championship games covered live; OHSAA Radio Network Playoff Preview Show posted

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio High School Athletic Association football state championship games kick off on Thursday night at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, and Spectrum will cover all seven games live on Spectrum News 1. The OHSAA Radio Network will also broadcast all seven games and the network has released its weekly playoff preview show (see link below).

Tickets for all OHSAA postseason contests are available at www.OHSAA.org/tickets

OHSAA Football State Championships on Spectrum
Spectrum News 1 will televise all seven state championship games. Spectrum’s live telecasts are available on channel 1, the Spectrum app and at http://OHSAA.tv (pay-per-view).
Division II, Thursday, 7 p.m. – Michael Reghi, Ryan Cavanaugh and Ashley Collins
Division V, Friday, 10:30 a.m. – Todd Bell, Michael Robinson and Katie Kapusta
Division III, Friday, 3 p.m. – Mike Cairns, Greg Frey and Ashley Collins
Division I, Friday, 7:30 p.m. – Dave Bacon, Ryan Cavanaugh and MaryLee Melendez
Division VI, Saturday, 10:30 a.m. – Anthony Lima, Bryant Browning and Ashley Collins
Division VII, Saturday, 3 p.m. – Tim Bray, Vince Suriano and Katie Kapusta
Division IV, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. – Dave Bacon, Greg Frey and Andy Baskin

Playoff Coverage on the OHSAA Radio Network
The OHSAA Radio Network’s weekly OHSAA Football Playoff Preview Show is available for download and use by stations as part of their football playoff coverage at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news/radio.

OHSAA Football Playoff Preview Show #6 is 33:40 and is posted directly at: https://ohsaaweb.blob.core.windows.net/files/News/radio/2022Football/OHSAAPLAYOFFPREVIEWSHOWWEEK6.mp3

In this week’s show, host Marty Bannister includes sound bytes from all 14 head coaches who are leading their teams into the state championship games, and includes preview reports from the OHSAA Radio Network announcers who will call the games. The show includes one local break (2:00) after the coaches’ comments for stations to insert their own spots.

All seven football state championship games will be broadcast by the OHSAA Radio Network. Network game broadcasts are available through Skyview Satellite and at: at: https://www.ohsaa.org/news/radio.

OHSAA Radio Network Broadcast Crews
Division II, Thursday, 7 p.m. – David Wilson, Greg Frey and Marty Bannister. Halftime: Ryan Baker
Division V, Friday, 10:30 a.m. – Marty Bannister, TJ Downing and Ryan Baker. Halftime: Todd Walker
Division III, Friday, 3 p.m. – Todd Walker, Ryan Cavanaugh and Marty Bannister. Halftime: Ryan Baker
Division I, Friday, 7:30 p.m. – Todd Bell, Greg Frey and Ashley Collins. Halftime: Marty Bannister
Division VI, Saturday, 10:30 a.m. – David Wilson, Ryan Baker and Chris Solwecki. Halftime: Aaron Cassady
Division VII, Saturday, 3 p.m. – Todd Bell, Ryan Cavanaugh and Ryan Baker. Halftime: Aaron Cassady
Division IV, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. – David Wilson, TJ Downing and Chris Solwecki. Halftime: Ryan Baker

In addition, the OHSAA will have a live video tailgate show Thursday evening, Friday evening and Saturday afternoon prior to the OHSAA Radio Network pregame shows. The tailgate shows will begin at 5:45 Thursday, 6:15 Friday and 1:45 Saturday. The shows will be live at https://ohsaa.tkdssports.com/

### OHSAA ###

Tim Stried
Director of Media Relations
Ohio High School Athletic Association

Office: 614-267-2502, ext. 124
tstried@ohsaa.org
www.ohsaa.org
twitter.com/OHSAASports
www.facebook.com/OHSAASports
Fax: 614-267-1677
4080 Roselea Place
Columbus, OH 43214

Haven't been to all of the games for 3 or 4 years. Have they improved the offerings for the inside club (seating and food offerings)? Curious for next year

Mansfield looks to be middle ground for almost all of the games. If shortest middle ground was the goal, Olentangy and Mansfield would share duties. Have them all different places, what they heck. No one is actually going to celebrate the event. It's all mercenary. Might as well have them in the best places for the team's fans.
D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7
They should move the games around the country. It would be good for recruiting. :cool:

Mansfield looks to be middle ground for almost all of the games. If shortest middle ground was the goal, Olentangy and Mansfield would share duties. Have them all different places, what they heck. No one is actually going to celebrate the event. It's all mercenary. Might as well have them in the best places for the team's fans.
D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6 D7

Mount Vernon would be closer. There is also a town called Centerburg. How do you think it got its name?

Mount Vernon would be closer. There is also a town called Centerburg. How do you think it got its name?

IDK, I've been to Belleview and it ain't. Could have been center of the county. 🤷

Didn't take my point anyhow. Each game has a different "center." Did you see anything post game yesterday that celebrated the Ohio State High School football championship? A stadium better than others? If they're not going to celebrate it and central location is more important to so many, then the division championships have no need to all be located in one place. How many actually buy tickets to all games?

Did you see anything post game yesterday that celebrated the Ohio State High School football championship? A stadium better than others? If they're not going to celebrate it and central location is more important to so many, then the division championships have no need to all be located in one place. How many actually buy tickets to all games?
I’m not sure what you mean by ‘celebrate it’? I saw a celebration 🤷🏼‍♂️

As to the all in one place, I can’t imagine Spectrum wanting to spread their crews and equipment out to seven places. I know they do it in the playoffs, but the quality isn’t great.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘celebrate it’? I saw a celebration 🤷🏼‍♂️

As to the all in one place, I can’t imagine Spectrum wanting to spread their crews and equipment out to seven places. I know they do it in the playoffs, but the quality isn’t great.

You saw the town celebrating the championships? Something that looked like any other game? Be interested, what was it?

Or are you talking about the winning team? They could have done that at any stadium, something in the middle. I'm asking, what occurred yesterday that supported Canton as the place, or even better the only place to hold that game?

So Spectrum is driving this? Honest question. How much sense does that make? These aren't ESPN created bowl games. If Spectrum wants to create bowl games for teams not in the championship, well have them get on that. I didn't watch last night's game. From reading comments, I don't think you want to put "quality" and that broadcast into the same sentence.

Or are you talking about the winning team? They could have done that at any stadium, something in the middle. I'm asking, what occurred yesterday that supported Canton as the place, or even better the only place to hold that game?
The winning team. Not sure what you mean about the town celebrating the championships? I have no great love for holding the games in Canton, but I believe logistics say it’s much simpler and better to hold them in one place - or at least two close-by places.

better to hold them in one place - or at least two close-by places.
I said before they need to alternate between different areas of the state so the same areas arent always rewarded with short bus rides and others arent always penalized with long bus rides.

Have them rotate between:
1. NW Ohio (UT and BGSU)
2. Akron (KSU and Akron U)
3. Cinci (Paul Brown and UC)
4. Cleveland (Browns)
5. Columbus (Horseshoe)
6. Athens (OU)

It would be great for fairness of travel and great economic boost of the host cities and great recruiting for the local university if they host.

Reactions: 4GX
Real possibility we could end up with zero truly competitive games, absent last night ending 1 score

There is zero evidence that they've done anything except play in the division they were assigned to.
This is true-- what I don't understand is WHY the OHSAA assigned them to this division-- rational analysis of the combined situation at Glenville and "Ginn Academy" would suggest that the student population from which those schools draw is FAR larger than the student population from which other Division IV schools draw.

Should have 8 division, 8 team per region. More competitive across the board. Equal numbers across each division . Two games on Thursday, 3 on Friday, and 3 on Saturday.
Or we could have ~350 divisions-- with two schools per division-- and then half of the schools in Ohio could claim a state title every year-- the fairest approach ever-- and SUPER competitive... plus the state playoffs would ALL be over in one week (before Halloween)-- avoiding the need for so many schools to travel LOOOONG distances across the state in bad weather in November/December, to Northeast Ohio (the epicenter of Ohio's "snow belt")... it'd be JUST LIKE college bowl games are now!

Could be a Northeast Ohio sweep this week! It won't be easy but it looks promising! Good luck to all of the teams!
Didn't look promising for very long.... but then "tom_hsfootball_fan" was sure that the games (at least 5 of the 7-- including the one on Thursday night) were NOT going to be competitive, too....

Real possibility we could end up with zero truly competitive games, absent last night ending 1 score
I'd say that "real possibility" (which was being extended to last night's game, before IT was played) is a "real SMALL possibility"...do you really even KNOW anything about the 14 teams playing in the championship games?

Final Tally

Catholics - 4
Atheists - 2
Ted Ginn - 1
FYP.

I'm thinking Mooney and Ursuline should combine and move south and west down 62 Canfield way. Lots of scared papists in Austintown, Poland, Struthers, and Canfield etc who aren't too keen about busing into the ghetto. Why should them Canfield Catholics be balling with the Pedestrians, Methodizers, and other assorted Protesters?

Them Ursuline Sisters off Shields Rd got a nice property there for uplifting the oppressed 6'8" 280 lbs aspiring Catholics. They gotta be getting up in years. Move them and the surrounding geezers elsewhere.

Them Paulines got a nice spread west of town. Maybe some Holy Cross Brothers could stop by for a visit and tell them of the glory of cheating for high school state football championships. Oh. Call it Bishop George Murry High School and bring in some Jesuits to run it. Since they don't have any values at all, they could bring in Rotsky as an "admissions counselor" and bring in Jerry Francis from Columbus Wehrle as "attendance officer" like Pickerington did. The possibilities are endless. With the right conditions, they could even bring in lost souls from the Beavers, New Castle, and what the heck even Hermitage.

There were three very tight games-- two modestly competitive games, and only two true "blow-outs" (with only one qualifying for the use of a running clock")-- so this turned out be an almost completely wrong prediction.

What's the re-bracket based on the week-end's result?
St Ed - TCC round 2
Springfield - Glenville
Hoban - Marion Local (which team has a good run defense?)

help me out here, I've already forgotten the results...