State Championship Pairings

TriangleMan

Hates Particle Man
OHSAA Football State Championship Pairings
All games at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, Canton
Home team listed first.
Pairings include overall record and Associated Press state rank (top-10 only).

Division II State Championship - Thursday, Dec. 1, 7 p.m.
No. 2 Akron Archbishop Hoban (14-1) vs. No. 5 Toledo Central Catholic (14-1)

Division V State Championship - Friday, Dec. 2, 10:30 a.m.
No. 1 Ironton (15-0) vs. No. 2 Canfield South Range (15-0)

Division III State Championship - Friday, Dec. 2, 3 p.m.
No. 3 Canfield (13-1) vs. Carroll Bloom-Carroll (14-1)

Division I State Championship - Friday, Dec. 2, 7:30 p.m.
No. 1 Lakewood St. Edward (14-1) vs. No. 4 Springfield (13-1)

Division VI State Championship - Saturday, Dec. 3, 10:30 a.m.
No. 1 Maria Stein Marion Local (15-0) vs. No. 2 Kirtland (15-0)

Division VII State Championship - Saturday, Dec. 3, 3 p.m.
No. 7 New Bremen (12-3) vs. No. 1 Warren John F. Kennedy (13-1)

Division IV State Championship - Saturday, Dec. 3, 7:30 p.m.
No. 2 Cincinnati Wyoming (15-0) vs. No. 1 Cleveland Glenville (14-0)

Last edited:

IMO, would like to see the Thursday game be between the 2 teams that have the shortest trip between them.

imagine you’re coming from Cincy to play on Thursday night, you’re essentially playing on 2 days of prep. film review on saturday, off sunday, practice monday/tuesday, travel day wednesday, game thursday.

this year, that would put Bloom Carroll playing Canfield at 7pm on Thursday. 2 hours for Bloom Carroll, 1 hour for South Range to Tom Benson. both reasonable day trips.

What all have been the years that Thursday night game has not been D2? I believe SVSM/Trotwood in D3 was one (2013), TCC/Athens in D3 for 2014 as another. Any others?

I’ve been to a couple D I Sunday championship games so they’ve had different schedules in past

What all have been the years that Thursday night game has not been D2? I believe SVSM/Trotwood in D3 was one (2013), TCC/Athens in D3 for 2014 as another. Any others?
That was the setup for fir several years after 7th division added. D3, D2, D1 evening game on Thursday, Friday, Saturday in that order

I would say a team would travel on Thursday morning for a Thursday evening game. The big question is to drive home after the game or stay in a hotel Thursday night.
Versailles drove to Saturday evening game last year Saturday morning and came home after game for 2:00 am parade into town.

Hopefully with the CFB changes that are coming, the 2 championship weekends will no longer align as well.

Miles to Tom Benson Stadium

D1

St. Edward = 63.0
Springfield = 176

D2
Hoban = 19.4
Toledo CC = 156

D3
Canfield = 42.3
Bloom-Carroll = 135

D4
Wyoming = 232
Glenville = 63.7

D5
Ironton = 233
South Range = 40.4

D6
Marion Local = 202
Kirtland = 65.0

D7
New Bremen = 193
Warren JFK = 54.2

Last edited:
There will always be one team at a disadvantage because of mileage no matter where the games are held.
Some times come up the day before!

Miles to Tom Benson Stadium

D1

St. Edward = 63.0
Springfield = 176

D2
Hoban = 19.4
Toledo CC = 156

D3
Canfield = 42.3
Bloom-Carroll = 135

D4
Wyoming = 232
Glenville = 63.7

D5
Ironton = 233
South Range = 40.4

D6

Marion Local = 202
Kirtland = 65.0

D7
New Bremen = 193
Warren JFK = 54.2
Maybe we could just swap Glenville into Division V and have them play South Range in a "local" game-- and then Ironton and Wyoming could travel less than a 100 miles each in Division IV, to play each other in, say Chillicothe (the ORIGINAL Ohio State Capitol) -- that way NEITHER of those teams from down South would have to travel nearly 5 hours to play a team traveling only an hour to the game.

I am thinking either the Division V or VI championship game will be the most competitive.

My early picks are St Ed’s, Hoban, Canfield, Glenville, South Range, Kirtland, and NB.

Maybe we could just swap Glenville into Division V and have them play South Range in a "local" game-- and then Ironton and Wyoming could travel less than a 100 miles each in Division IV, to play each other in, say Chillicothe (the ORIGINAL Ohio State Capitol) -- that way NEITHER of those teams from down South would have to travel nearly 5 hours to play a team traveling only an hour to the game.
(um) (no)

we can’t let Glenville move down yet another division!!

If you are in the final you do not care how far you need to travel. When you start this process you know where the final will be. Suck it up and deal with it! If your team can’t deal with a 4 hour bus ride prior to an opportunity to win a state title, forfeit. Many of you posters are whining babies who need to grow up. Best of luck to all teams playing in Canton!

Sure-- why WOULDN'T they like to cut about ~3 hours off of their drive, make it an even travel game for both sides, and also (just a small side benefit)-- NOT have to face the Division I school in Division IV clothing that is Glenville.
You are normally so composed. What has you so out of sorts. You are coming across as so many of the the idiots on this site. Also why the sudden outrage, Glenville has been D4 for at least 6 months. Get a life arsehat! Go Glenville!!!

we can’t let Glenville move down yet another division!!
Sure we can-- why not? They've already moved down three divisions-- what's one more, between friends?

Or we could move Canfield South Range up to IV to meet Glenville in wherever is convenient to those two-- and call the Wyoming-Ironton game the Division V championship game (in Chillicothe)...

This may be the easiest year in the history of the playoffs for predicting the winners. At least five of the seven games will be lopsided victories.

I noticed one odd thing as I was reading the schedules of the finalists. D4 Wyoming played six teams in the regular season that did not make the playoffs. With the current system I would never have thought that would be possible.

This may be the easiest year in the history of the playoffs for predicting the winners. At least five of the seven games will be lopsided victories.

I noticed one odd thing as I was reading the schedules of the finalists. D4 Wyoming played six teams in the regular season that did not make the playoffs. With the current system I would never have thought that would be possible.
Please name the 5 games that will be lopsided victories.

I noticed one odd thing as I was reading the schedules of the finalists. D4 Wyoming played six teams in the regular season that did not make the playoffs. With the current system I would never have thought that would be
I don't know enough about the two teams in Division III to say anything about that one-- but I expect the other six games to be fairly competitive.

Also, it's true that Wyoming plays in a relatively weak league-- they have 7 games that are fixed on the schedule which are largely non-competitive-- so they try to schedule good teams in their 3 non-conference games... sometimes (Taft) that works-- sometimes (Harrison-- which slipped a lot this year) it does not-- but it doesn't negate the fact that Wyoming has a good team in the hunt this year-- Wyoming beat the defending Division IV state champions (soundly) 2 weeks ago, beat a team with more college Division I recruits than Glenville has last week, and beat one of the all-time Top Five highest winning percentage schools in Ohio HS football this weekend (a school with 4 state championships)-- so Wyoming did not cakewalk to the state final game.