St Xavier Hockey

Will St. Xavier win a state title in hockey?

• Yes

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Let it be known that the thread starter created this same poll for every sport.

Ignore this thread. Save any discussion for the remaining eight squads and the interesting matchups ahead.

St.X is very glad to be playing hockey at this point in the season and is only thinking about their next opponent, Sycamore.

I'm not sure who is representing themselves as an idiot here.

My point was, simply, that any team and its supporters would be wise to take things one game at a time.

...and judging by saintxavierbomber's recent posting history, I'd say he is far more interested in posing as an X hype machine rather than eliciting any intelligent discussion of high school hockey.

It would be awesome if X could win a hockey state championship. I realize this is the closest they have ever been, but there are still some other VERY good teams out there.

I'm not sure who is representing themselves as an idiot here.

My point was, simply, that any team and its supporters would be wise to take things one game at a time.

...and judging by saintxavierbomber's recent posting history, I'd say he is far more interested in posing as an X hype machine rather than eliciting any intelligent discussion of high school hockey.

the team itself is taking it one game at a time....as an x men hockey fan (i've been to several games) i would like them to take state

sorry for supporting my school and hockey

No, St. X will not win the state hockey title. Only two teams from their neck of the woods have even made the final 4 in the past 9 years, Moeller and Talawanda. They were both subject to 5-0 beatdowns in the semi's when faced against superior northern opponents. I would be a monumental upset for X to win it. In all likelihood, they will have to knock off Northview and then either Eds, Ignatius, or Padua in the final. The 1980 US olympic team had better odds.:)

I think the Mentor upset proves that anything can happen at this point in the season. On this very board, people were ready to hand US the title because of the easy road to the final in front of them. Oops!

St. X is a very physical team with a tendency to be very hot or very cold. Lucky for them, they seem to be very hot at the right time this year. Add to that, the presence of a very talented goalie who is also on fire (70+ saves in 2 games) and you get a recipe for success in the playoffs.

The three teams (2 after tonight) that St.X would face in the State semis are all very beatable. I NEVER thought I would say this, but St.X has a LEGIT shot at making the Finals. Once you make it to the big game, any number of things can happen - injuries, the reffing, a freak performance, a big choke....after all, they're just a bunch of high schoolers.

I do know that St. X's top 6 (best 5 skaters + goalie) can play with any other top 6 in the state. Depth is their biggest weakness.

Who knows? It would be a heck of a storyline and an amazing finish to their first winning season, EVER.

Did you guys already beat Sycamore or something? If I recall that game is next in line for St. X, and they haven't even mentioned that game on this thread. Also, aren't they 0-1-1 against Sycamore this year? I mean I'm not going out and saying I think one team will win one way or the other but all this pre talk about getting to the final 4, my advice would be focus on the game at hand. Whoever gets there I certainly will be cheering to win state (Sycamore/St. X), but I wouldn't look anything ahead

If I recall that game is next in line for St. X, and they haven't even mentioned that game on this thread.

Not sure who you mean by "they", but I did mention it...in the very first post.

St.X is very glad to be playing hockey at this point in the season and is only thinking about their next opponent, Sycamore.

As was previously mentioned, those of us who aren't playing in the game can consider the possibility of a St. X title, or a Sycamore title for that matter, all day long. I'll agree that it's a little premature at this point, especially for St. X, who has no business looking past the Aves. (See my first post)

Regardless of the outcome of the Columbus district final, the winner will have a chance at playing for a state title which will be one of the many great storylines to come out of this '08 playoff season. I was really hoping to have some intelligent discussion of the game but saintxavierbomber sullied the delivery. There aren't any fans on here that know anything about high school hockey to make that a reality anyway.

I'll be in Columbus for the final four one way or the other...I would love to be cheering for a Cincinnati team.

I agree with you the Athenaeum, I just want it to be a good game and anticipate it being a great one, but teams are hot right now. Obvioulsly I would love to see my Aves win being an Alum and and former player, but either way I will be in the final four, cheering for the second ever Cincinnati team to make it that far. Good luck to both teams

Finally. An individual who can get on Yappi, keep his (or her) cool, and post statements that display cardinal knowledge of high school hockey. Thank you "The Antenaeum," you have renewed my hope in Yappi once again. I agree 100% with your assertion that, provided St. Xavier does not overlook Sycamore, they have a very good chance of getting to the finals and even bringing home a state championship. I also agree that it is essential that both of the two Cincinnati teams get their heads out of the clouds and focus on the game ahead of them. While talent certainly is a factor in this stage of the playoffs, work ethic and focus, as it is in any other high school sport, is just as important. Without the latter, the former carries no weight. I think that St. Xavier might have a slight edge in talent in this matchup. Nonetheless, should Sycamore show up to play (they will, their coach will make sure of that) and St. Xavier fold (they have shown a great propensity to do so in the regular sesion...vs. Tally, vs. Moe, vs. TROY), Sycamore will be heading to the frozen four.
Whatever happens, its a major step for Cincinnati to have two teams from the area competing for a district championship and a spot in the frozen four. Congratulations to both teams...bring home the state championship!

The OHSAA website only goes back to 1999 with tournament results, but it looks like that no team from other than the Toledo or Cleveland areas really had a shot at the title until Troy was established as a regional site in 2003. Up until then, there were only a few teams outside the Toledo and Cleveland areas.

The teams that did exist south of Toledo and Cleveland had to play in a regional up near Toledo. It will be interesting to see if Columbus and Cincinnati teams can catch up to the rest of the state with having its own regional now.

The only team from the Columbus/Dayton/Cincy area to make the finals was Centerville when they won the title in 1979 (2nd year of OHSAA tournament). Otherwise, the furthest south a finalist was located was Findlay, who won in 1983, then Kent Roosevelt, who won in 1982, runner-up in 1981.

It would be a major upset for any team in the Southwest district to even win the semi-final, with or without U.S. That said, it will happen someday and you never know when one will finally sneak in and win a title.

I think now that U.S. is out, Gilmour will win the District and they will be a strong test for any southwest team. They play an independent schedule which included games against many tough opponents from Canada, New York, Michigan, Illinois, and even some junior league (AAA) teams. They also have a Prep team on campus with some talent that they get to practice against regularly.

No, St. X will not win the state hockey title. Only two teams from their neck of the woods have even made the final 4 in the past 9 years, Moeller and Talawanda. They were both subject to 5-0 beatdowns in the semi's when faced against superior northern opponents. I would be a monumental upset for X to win it. In all likelihood, they will have to knock off Northview and then either Eds, Ignatius, or Padua in the final. The 1980 US olympic team had better odds.:)

I concur with this, although you make them sound like they have a chance at all by comparing them to the 1980 Olympic team. Give all the credit to St.X with their road to the elite 8 so far, but they had a lucky and easy road bu playing Talawanda who i have heard didnt play with Drew Hoover or Dowler (because they were supposedly still listed on the U16 AAA roster), and those 2 players were the anchors of the team because the rest of the team was in turmoil because of them being on the team caused a lot of chaos with 3 goalies on the team, and players getting less playing time because of Hoover playing. As well as this St.X also played a worn out Alter team that played 3 players basically the whole game and just couldn't handle 2 games in a weekend after they played about the whole game against Moeller. So if you people think St.X can actually win state, go ahead and think that but it completly baffles me on how you do:confused: :confused:

wrong........Drew Hoover and Allan Dowler both played, and played very well. Against St X, Hoover scored Talawanda's only goal and Dowler had 40+ saves. St X outplayed Talawanda to advance, it was no fluke, and they deserve to be playing for a district championship. Lets not forget that X upset St Johns earlier in the year, so anything is possible. Coach Tramonte has his team playing well when it counts.
And, its great to see Coach Ashton's Sycamore Aves in the district championship also. The Aves great season was overshadowed in Cincy by Moellers season long success, but now the Crusaders and the rest of the SWOHSHL (and the CHC) are home pondering would've beens and should've beens while the Aves are playing for a district championship. It just goes to show you what great coaching and a group of players willing to buy into a system can accomplish. Good luck to both of these fine coaches and their players this weekend in Columbus, and whoever prevails, will enjoy the opportunity to play for a state championship......all you can ask for is a chance......

st x won't win a state championship. they aren't very good compared to Talawanda and Moeller and shouldn't even be where they are now. Talawanda or Dublin Coffman deserves to be there. St X has a snowballs chance in ---- to win the state championship. Lets not forget if Talawanda was playing against Gilmour they only lost to them 2-1 earlier in the year. I think Dublin Coffman might have had a chance against Gilmour but St X will lose 7-0 or worse

st x won't win a state championship. they aren't very good compared to Talawanda and Moeller and shouldn't even be where they are now. Talawanda or Dublin Coffman deserves to be there. St X has a snowballs chance in ---- to win the state championship. Lets not forget if Talawanda was playing against Gilmour they only lost to them 2-1 earlier in the year. I think Dublin Coffman might have had a chance against Gilmour but St X will lose 7-0 or worse

go away

Talawanda lost. Moeller Lost. Coffman lost. No team deserves anything. That is why they play the games. :wallbang:

Talawanda lost to Gilmore 2 to 1? Xavier beat Talawanda 2 to 1, therefore St. X will lose 7-0.:shrug: This is the type of logic that shows you are nothing more than a X hater.

I do beilieve that X is on a good run and they probably will not win State. But they deserve to be there because they won the games.

Go Bombers.

Exactly.
Hats off to a team that finished in the bottom part of SWOSHl and battled back hard to make it all the way to the Frozen 4. Granted, they are still very far away from that State Championship, but I believe they have a strong chance of upsetting a good Gilmour team and possibly giving a good game to SFS or Lakewood St. Ed's winner. This team has a lot of talent and a great coaching staff who made it all work out this year. Also, this team has a ton of solid senior leadership, which makes it all more fun to watch.
Good luck,
St. X

Also, what makes this team so impressive is that many of its players played on a not so great JV team, but have worked hard this year and gotten significant roles in the lineup. This I believe is the greatest aspect of this team. This inexperience may seem a weakness, but inside it makes these guys fearless, which in the end makes them successful