St. Xavier Football 2024

A successful spring sports season for a number of StX football players just concluded

Volleyball State Champions (QB/DB Ben Soloria)
Rugby: State Runner Up to St. Ignatius 26-15 (OL Charlie Lynch)
LAX: State Runner Up to Olentangy Liberty 15-14 (QB/RB Dan Vollmer, RB Spencer Stegbauer, LB Ben Lehman, WR August Betz, DB Magnus Violet, WR Johnnie Guttman and DB DJ Wojo)
Track: Top 10 Team State Finish (State Finalist 4x400 CB Shane Strayhorn)

Time to shift gears into football mode........1st scrimmage vs Pick Central is 62 days away

Also..........
Tennis: Carson Dwyer D1 Singles State Champion
Tennis: Chase Homan and Nihal Narisetty D1 Doubles State Runner Up to Sycamore
Guttman and DJ Wojo play football ?

A successful spring sports season for a number of StX football players just concluded

Volleyball State Champions (QB/DB Ben Soloria)
Rugby: State Runner Up to St. Ignatius 26-15 (OL Charlie Lynch)
LAX: State Runner Up to Olentangy Liberty 15-14 (QB/RB Dan Vollmer, RB Spencer Stegbauer, LB Ben Lehman, WR August Betz, DB Magnus Violet, WR Johnnie Guttman and DB DJ Wojo)
Track: Top 10 Team State Finish (State Finalist 4x400 CB Shane Strayhorn)

Time to shift gears into football mode........1st scrimmage vs Pick Central is 62 days away

Also..........
Tennis: Carson Dwyer D1 Singles State Champion
Tennis: Chase Homan and Nihal Narisetty D1 Doubles State Runner Up to Sycamore
Anyone coming back from Baseball?
I thought LB Matt Schulte played volleyball & WR Hayden Shamsi played LAX?
WR Johnnie Guttman nor DB DJ Wojciechowski played last year.

Anyone coming back from Baseball?
Baseball finished several weeks ago so been working out with the team.....Hester, Carter, Sweeney, Fasbender, Betts, Hoerst, Von Holle, Hendon, Kline, Johnston, Szabo and George. Although Betts not playing his senior year??
I thought LB Matt Schulte played volleyball
Per the roster - yes
& WR Hayden Shamsi played LAX?
Per the roster - no
WR Johnnie Guttman nor DB DJ Wojciechowski played last year.
Freshman year was enough

Wow, great news! Hopefully, he has added some weight too. I remember seeing him play basketball a few times this year. He's a very aggressive kid, the type that you would hate to play against.
Currently 6'0" 183lb (was 175lb last season)

Last 20 years Top Bomber RBs Ht Wt Senior Year
Chris Cionni 2005 5'11" 185lb
Darius Ashley 2007 5'11" 185lb
Conor Hundley 2011 5'11" 206lb
Ben Glines 2014 6'1" 195lb
Sean Prophit 2015 6'0" 195lb
Chris Payne 2018 6'1" 216lb
Charles Kellom 2021 5'11" 195lb

Pretty sure Britt is a junior-to-be so two more years.
Yes, 6' and 185lb for junior year
Senior year Britt likely will be 6’0”-6’1” and 190-195lb and still maintain 4.5 speed
He’s a unique combination of Conor Hundley’s power, DAshley’s speed and Chris Cionni’s quickness

Vollmer enters junior season at 6’2” 210lb and at a February combine registered a 40 yard time of 4.65

He too has the ability to run over, through and around a would be overmatched tackler
As the Bearcat recruiter told him as he made an offer, “I’m not convinced you’re a QB but I know a football player when I see one”

Yes, 6' and 185lb for junior year
Senior year Britt likely will be 6’0”-6’1” and 190-195lb and still maintain 4.5 speed
He’s a unique combination of Conor Hundley’s power, DAshley’s speed and Chris Cionni’s quickness

Vollmer enters junior season at 6’2” 210lb and at a February combine registered a 40 yard time of 4.65

He too has the ability to run over, through and around a would be overmatched tackler
As the Bearcat recruiter told him as he made an offer, “I’m not convinced you’re a QB but I know a football player when I see one”
Cannot wait to see what this pair can do this upcoming season (next year as well but let’s not get ahead of ourselves)!

Anyone heard about any of the receivers? I would imagine they are doing some install so there has to be someone popping up we haven’t heard about. With Betts out this season they need an additional person for the rotation

X has had a lot of good RBs in the past.
They have had 3 freaks in their history……Ashley and the Sollman brothers.

They may have 2 freaks in the same class, which if turns out to be true, is unheard of.
Freaks are like Haley’s Comet.

As sophomores last year both showed they are durable with up to 25 touches a game and they get stronger with each touch

As juniors they likely combine for 50 to 60 touches a game
That doesn’t leave much room for another significant contributor.

If the offensive set calls for a single back, then the other freak will be in the slot or split out wide.
Coverdale Offensive philosophy point #3: feed the studs (or freaks if you happen to have 1 or in this rare case 2)

In the 7 on 7 the best Bomber deep threat was Britt
Had Vollmer been there he would have been deep threat #2.

Should a stud receiver emerge that regularly gets open and catches everything thrown his way he could see maybe 3 to 5 passes per game.
Until that receiver shows up, the 2024 offense is going to be the Dan and Jake show...............
and Gordy should Specht gives him a significant role in the offense.

X has had a lot of good RBs in the past.
They have had 3 freaks in their history……Ashley and the Sollman brothers.

They may have 2 freaks in the same class, which if turns out to be true, is unheard of.
Freaks are like Haley’s Comet.

As sophomores last year both showed they are durable with up to 25 touches a game and they get stronger with each touch

As juniors they likely combine for 50 to 60 touches a game
That doesn’t leave much room for another significant contributor.

If the offensive set calls for a single back, then the other freak will be in the slot or split out wide.
Coverdale Offensive philosophy point #3: feed the studs (or freaks if you happen to have 1 or in this rare case 2)

In the 7 on 7 the best Bomber deep threat was Britt
Had Vollmer been there he would have been deep threat #2.

Should a stud receiver emerge that regularly gets open and catches everything thrown his way he could see maybe 3 to 5 passes per game.
Until that receiver shows up, the 2024 offense is going to be the Dan and Jake show...............
and Gordy should Specht gives him a significant role in the offense.
What if Strayhorn or Reilly played WR? Strayhorn ran track and appears to have some ability to pass catch and Reilly is athletic, tall, and fast.

What if Strayhorn or Reilly played WR? Strayhorn ran track and appears to have some ability to pass catch and Reilly is athletic, tall, and fast.
I could see Reilly getting PT at WR....played some as a frosh.
Primarily they, along with Clapper and Bishop, are going to be part of the blue curtain defense