St. Xavier Football 2024

a full report
Here's a few takeaways: Gordy could be an all state TE, Britt is a highlight reel, Carter snapped so is likely center and the safeties (Reilly, Clapper and Bishop) cover a LOT of ground. The LAX players (Vollmer, Stegbauer, Lehman, Betz, Violet, Guttman and Wojo) will join the team next week after they win a state title on Saturday (semifinals tomorrow on ESPX)

2024 Season Kickoff Scheduled!

0FA40850-198C-4679-B034-9F2FB9373712_1_201_a.jpeg

They want to transfer but do not want to sit out half the year (if they go private).
There is an exception for transferring from a single sex to a coed school.. from the OSHAA website:

4. Transfer from a coeducational high school to a single gender high school or vice versa.

I believe they may be at McNicholas. I’ll check some sources there.

There is an exception for transferring from a single sex to a coed school.. from the OSHAA website:

4. Transfer from a coeducational high school to a single gender high school or vice versa.

They enrolled at P-M for the last half of this year so if going to McNick would be a coed to coed transfer

Please provide a link for this information because there are 13 exceptions in Ohio and I have never read or seen an exception dealing with genders at a HS in Ohio.

They enrolled at P-M for the last half of this year so if going to McNick would be a coed to coed transfer
I wasn’t aware they were ever at PM. My source indicated they plan to transfer to McNick,guess will have to see. If they were at PM this Spring then they can only join the team week 6.

Here's a few takeaways: Gordy could be an all state TE, Britt is a highlight reel, Carter snapped so is likely center and the safeties (Reilly, Clapper and Bishop) cover a LOT of ground. The LAX players (Vollmer, Stegbauer, Lehman, Betz, Violet, Guttman and Wojo) will join the team next week after they win a state title on Saturday (semifinals tomorrow on ESPX)
Appreciate the report......still a lot of talent that have to make their way back to the field from Spring sports. It feels like this combo of Juniors & Seniors has some great potential this year. (I'm sure there are some sophomores in the mix that could contribute as well).
It will be interesting to see where guys land on the field on both sides of the ball. The question that remains - who will take the snaps and will the Bombers have a passing threat to go along with their running game??
I feel as if we are in for an exciting year!

Appreciate the report......still a lot of talent that have to make their way back to the field from Spring sports. It feels like this combo of Juniors & Seniors has some great potential this year. (I'm sure there are some sophomores in the mix that could contribute as well).
It will be interesting to see where guys land on the field on both sides of the ball. The question that remains - who will take the snaps and will the Bombers have a passing threat to go along with their running game??
This feels like the year where the program talent and experience all start to come together.

QB may not be a factor this year as they may go the route of last years Elder team and only pass when they really need to. It all depends on who OC is, which I’m hearing is Specht. Specht definitely will keep it simple and get the ball in his athletes hands then let them cook.

QB may not be a factor this year as they may go the route of last years Elder team and only pass when they really need to. It all depends on who OC is, which I’m hearing is Specht. Specht definitely will keep it simple and get the ball in his athletes hands then let them cook.
Agree...assuming the QB is a threat to run.

Agree...assuming the QB is a threat to run.
Depends - if the trenches are a strong spot, and the backs all have break-away talent, not sure it's a needed risk.

A strong running game will take a TON of pressure off of Herbie if he gets the nod.

Depends - if the trenches are a strong spot, and the backs all have break-away talent, not sure it's a needed risk.

A strong running game will take a TON of pressure off of Herbie if he gets the nod.
Both tackles are returning starters but huge ?? at C and both G's. Decent depth at DL could allow a move to OL for a few.

I'm guessing Vollmer and Britt get the ball 80% to 90% of the time either by pitch, pass, direct snap or handoff

Specht's Favorite Offensive Set for 2024: The Smash Mouth O
- double tights and double blocking backs with Vollmer or Britt carrying the rock

TE #11 Gordy Sulfsted Sr. 6’5” 250lb
TE #88 Hayden Shamsi Sr. 6’0” 190lb
LT #79 Tucker Kattus Sr. 6’5” 300lb
LG #63 Grant Abercrombie Sr. 6’0” 265lb
C #75 Cam Carter Jr. 6’3” 270lb
RG #68 Charlie Lynch Sr. 5’11” 260lb
RT #60 Grant Hester Jr. 6’3” 270lb
QB #3 Daniel Vollmer Jr. 6’2” 210lb
RB #44 Jake Britt Jr. 6’0” 175lb
FB #10 Kobe Clapper Jr. 6’2” 195lb
FB #34 Caron Seymour Sr. 5’10” 210lb

The LAX players (Vollmer, Stegbauer, Lehman, Betz, Violet, Guttman and Wojo) will join the team next week after they win a state title on Saturday (semifinals tomorrow on ESPX)
State Title Game: Saturday June 8th 4pm on ESPX

Olentangy Liberty (22-1) vs StX (21-3)
Liberty's only loss was to Upper Arlington 16-10 on 4/17 (X beat UA 2 days ago 13-10)
Liberty beat X 14-11 on 5/11

Thanks for the updates, ReLoad. It'd be great to see the Bombers win the state in lacrosse.

As good as Vollmer and Britt are, some opposing coordinator will try to "take those two away" and force X to beat them with the pass. They seem to have a lot of guys capable at WR and TE. We'll see how the QB competition shakes out. First game countdown is what - 70 days away?

Verified Harvey’s are at McNicholas. ( Zayden shown lifting on McNick strength coach Twitter account)

Last edited:
Verified Harvey’s are at McNicholas. ( Zayden shown lifting on McNick football Twitter account)
If they stayed at X there was a good chance that only 1 would start on varsity this year
Guessing the transfer was to find a situation where both would start to keep everyone happy.
But now both will only be eligible to play the first 6 games of the season :(

Thanks for the updates, ReLoad. It'd be great to see the Bombers win the state in lacrosse.
LAX loses a heartbreaker in the state final 15-14 to Olentangy Liberty
As good as Vollmer and Britt are, some opposing coordinator will try to "take those two away" and force X to beat them with the pass. They seem to have a lot of guys capable at WR and TE. We'll see how the QB competition shakes out. First game countdown is what - 70 days away?
When is the next 7 on 7?

Appreciate the report......still a lot of talent that have to make their way back to the field from Spring sports.
A successful spring sports season for a number of StX football players just concluded

Volleyball State Champions (QB/DB Ben Soloria)
Rugby: State Runner Up to St. Ignatius 26-15 (OL Charlie Lynch)
LAX: State Runner Up to Olentangy Liberty 15-14 (QB/RB Vollmer, RB Stegbauer, LB Lehman, WR Betz, DB Violet)
Track: Top 10 Team State Finish (State Finalist 4x400 CB Shane Strayhorn)

Time to shift gears into football mode........1st scrimmage vs Pick Central is 62 days away

Also..........
Tennis: Carson Dwyer D1 Singles State Champion
Tennis: Chase Homan and Nihal Narisetty D1 Doubles State Runner Up to Sycamore