St. X. Basketball thread '23-'24

Yes, Weber's Dad is Elder grad but not sure what year. I don't know on Mr. Wassler.

- All three levels won last night.
-In the tournament, I'd rather see them play Lakota East than LaSalle for a third time.
-Last night, 3 sophomores on the floor at the same time during various spots in the game.
-Britt did a good job on Elder's Cam Williams. Britt has to frustrate the heck out of whomever he's guarding. The kid is relentless.
-Williams picking up 3 relatively early fouls may have been the difference in the game.
-For Fleming to go 3-3 in GCL-South his first year is good and bodes well for the future.
-Good season overall for the Bombers, let's hope they can keep it going in the tournament.

Are 2 of the 5 starters this year dads elder grads? Wassler and Weber?
Weber definitely. He also used to be the 7th&8th Grade Football Coach at St. Dominic in their hey day! Not sure about Mr. Wassler but I would be shocked if he was an Elder Grad who sent All of his Boys to X. The Wasslers are Great people!

Pretty sure the Wassler dad went to Elder. Weber also - heard he was a good point guard. He also made alot of frienemies on the westside as his IHM teams killed the westside teams in football and basketball.

The incoming 8th grade class has some very good basketball talent and most of the better kids will end up at X and Moeller. St Jude is the only westside team that can hang with the best eastside teams this year. There are 4-5 teams on the eastside comparable, and some better, than Jude. If the best eastside teams are playing in the end of year GCYL tournament, they will win it. If not, Jude will.

St X and Moe are going to rule the GCL for the forseeable future in hoops. They're getting 90% of the feeder talent and we know Moe will supplement with some public school kids. St X is well positioned in basketball, and I bet Fleming is feeling very good about his future prospects.

Elder will be forced to play younger and younger talent as their talent level has dropped considerably in the younger classes. It might be a good thing they will be playing in D2. Tons of legacy daddy ball guys coming in with the incoming class next year, which will likely cause in-fighting and an implosion, probably. The in-crowd will be too crowded next year, and let's see how long it takes for fireworks. It should be entertaining. They will have to play several sophomores on varsity next year, and that's unprecedented for them. Elder GCL records this year - next year will probably be similar, if not worse.

Frosh - 2-4
JV - 1-5
Varsity - 3-3

Last edited:
Pretty sure the Wassler dad went to Elder. Weber also - heard he was a good point guard. He also made alot of frienemies on the westside as his IHM teams killed the westside teams in football and basketball.

The incoming 8th grade class has some very good basketball talent and most of the better kids will end up at X and Moeller. St Jude is the only westside team that can hang with the best eastside teams this year. There are 4-5 teams on the eastside comparable, and some better, than Jude. If the best eastside teams are playing in the end of year GCYL tournament, they will win it. If not, Jude will.

St X and Moe are going to rule the GCL for the forseeable future in hoops. They're getting 90% of the feeder talent and we know Moe will supplement with some public school kids. St X is well positioned in basketball, and I bet Fleming is feeling very good about his future prospects.

Elder will be forced to play younger and younger talent as their talent level has dropped considerably in the younger classes. It might be a good thing they will be playing in D2. Tons of legacy daddy ball guys coming in with the incoming class next year, which will likely cause in-fighting and an implosion, probably. The in-crowd will be too crowded next year, and let's see how long it takes for fireworks. It should be entertaining. They will have to play several sophomores on varsity next year, and that's unprecedented for them. Elder GCL records this year - next year will probably be similar, if not worse.

Frosh - 2-4
JV - 1-5
Varsity - 3-3
If/When Elder becomes D2 I believe this will really impact Sports and not in a good way. If Elder becomes D2 some of the Parents will send their kids to X and possibly even Moeller. Look what happened to Roger Bacon and Purcell Marian once they became small school. They left GCL Coed for MVC.

If/When Elder becomes D2 I believe this will really impact Sports and not in a good way. If Elder becomes D2 some of the Parents will send their kids to X and possibly even Moeller. Look what happened to Roger Bacon and Purcell Marian once they became small school. They left GCL Coed for MVC.
I think you are right for the kids that think they have a potential path to play in college.

For most of the feeder kids coming in to just enjoy playing high school sports, which are 99% of their enrollment, I don't think they will care as long as they are getting an opportunity to play for their school.

Elder doesn't go out and recruit athletes, so I actually think it may help enrollment, but completely eliminate them getting top tier athletic talent (which they don't really do anyway unless they get a stud feeder kid).

If they go D2, the feeder population will keep them relevant in D2. You don't want to expand and upgrade talent, this is their new reality. But for sure, there will be people that complain going D2 even though their own decision making is what got them here.

Friday, Feb. 24th
1st Round
OHSAA Southwest 4 - Sectional/District

Lakota East 65
LaSalle 40

LE/L BOX

Wednesday, Feb. 28th

2nd Round
OHSAA Southwest 4 - Sectional/District

St X
Lakota East
Fairfield Arena
7:30 PM Tip Off

OHSAA Southwest 4 Bracket

On Dec. 2, 2023,
Bombers opened their '23-'24 season with 56-54 victory over Lakota East in
Ohio Valley Hoops Classic played at Mason HS

X/LE BOX

Last edited:
Tough ending to the season last night with a three point loss to Lakota East. The Bombers dug too deep a hole for three quarters and ran out of time ultimately. But, credit goes to East. They maintained their poise at the end, hit big shots, FTs, etc.

They played hard until the end but their lack of offensive options limits them. I’m hopeful they have more talent coming up who can make shots

The first year of the Fleming Era was a success overall and a solid foundation set. The personnel on varsity I'm not sure is equipped to play the style of basketball that Coach Fleming desires. After watching some Frosh and JV games on ESPX, they seemed to press, plus looked to get up and down the court more.

WCPO will update this story with more information when it is available.....no updates to be found and no updates expected.

The reporter, Taylor Weiter, has history of reporting false narratives
In 2020 she attended the Until Justice march in Louisville demanding the arrest of cops and filed this report propagating the false narrative in the Breonna Taylor shooting

It's important to always check your sources and do background checks on the reporting "journalist" to determine motivations

They played hard until the end but their lack of offensive options limits them. I’m hopeful they have more talent coming up who can make shots
They had 15 turnovers.....hard time taking care of the ball.
I see a ton of top notch football players on all 3 rosters.
It's almost spring.....switch to a football mindset

They had 15 turnovers.....hard time taking care of the ball.
I see a ton of top notch football players on all 3 rosters.
It's almost spring.....switch to a football mindset
Correct. Every team needs some football players who can play defense and provide rim protection… but X desperately needs some pure basketball players

Correct. Every team needs some football players who can play defense and provide rim protection… but X desperately needs some pure basketball players
From what I'm told if there are any pure basketball players ages 10 to 15 within a 50 mile radius of Cincinnati Carl Kremer is on them like white on rice in typical EE fashion

Any chance Jacob Wassler returns to football for his senior season to secure a D1 schollie that he is not likely to get in basketball?

It was a disappointing end to a somewhat promising season. Interesting that Lakota East then lost to Hamilton Saturday 55-50 and now Hamilton goes on to play Sycamore (who St. X beat 47 - 25 in the regular season). It is not unreasonable to think this team could/should have won Sectionals and then got a chance against (maybe) Centerville - likely loss.

Oh well - was happy we got at least a clean look at the tying 3 point play after the BS with the free throw shooter substitution. Is it really the case that any injury can give the coach the opportunity to sub in ANY free throw shooter (including off the bench)? WHY??

The college (and I assume NBA) rule is that opposing coach gets to select from remaining players currently on the floor. Why wouldn't/shouldn't this be the high school rule? It makes no sense...

Oh well - was happy we got at least a clean look at the tying 3 point play after the BS with the free throw shooter substitution. Is it really the case that any injury can give the coach the opportunity to sub in ANY free throw shooter (including off the bench)? WHY??

The college (and I assume NBA) rule is that opposing coach gets to select from remaining players currently on the floor. Why wouldn't/shouldn't this be the high school rule? It makes no sense...
Unfortunately there are a lot of rules that don't cross over from college to high school that should. I'm not sure why we continue to adjust the rules in high school that aren't being adjusted the same in college. The elimination of the one & one bonus would be my 'exhibit A'!
As for the theatrics of an alleged injury to the 53% free throw shooter at the end of the game, that was nothing more than a complete BS move by Adkins. Not a good look for him.

Unfortunately there are a lot of rules that don't cross over from college to high school that should. I'm not sure why we continue to adjust the rules in high school that aren't being adjusted the same in college. The elimination of the one & one bonus would be my 'exhibit A'!
As for the theatrics of an alleged injury to the 53% free throw shooter at the end of the game, that was nothing more than a complete BS move by Adkins. Not a good look for him.
He won the game, didn't he? If the stupid rules are going to allow (in fact, encourage) that BS, then you are a bad coach if you don't take advantage of it. Still trying to understand how anyone could think that that should be the rule. It's not like allowing the opposing coach to choose from the remaining players on the floor is somehow wrong/unfair.

Waleskowski may be the only pure basketball player in the whole program, irrespective of grade. My bet would be every other kid, or close to it, plays at least one other sport. The almost two week layoff hurt the Bombers vs. Lakota East but those are the breaks. On to baseball? I think ReLoad alluded to it a month or so ago. Jack Ryan, sophomore pitcher, is a bonafide prospect. He also plays basketball.

He won the game, didn't he? If the stupid rules are going to allow (in fact, encourage) that BS, then you are a bad coach if you don't take advantage of it. Still trying to understand how anyone could think that that should be the rule. It's not like allowing the opposing coach to choose from the remaining players on the floor is somehow wrong/unfair.
He did indeed win the game and to take your line of thinking, he won it within the confines of the rules as they are written. It's a horrible rule that needs to be changed - amongst the others needing attention.
My problem is that any good coach wouldn't stoop to a questionable tactic like that. And if you think it wasn't predetermined, you're a fool.

Waleskowski may be the only pure basketball player in the whole program, irrespective of grade. My bet would be every other kid, or close to it, plays at least one other sport. The almost two week layoff hurt the Bombers vs. Lakota East but those are the breaks. On to baseball? I think ReLoad alluded to it a month or so ago. Jack Ryan, sophomore pitcher, is a bonafide prospect. He also plays basketball.
Doesn't Waleskowski play golf too?
Let's get a Spring sport discussion going. Who's got a scouting report for baseball, lacrosse, track or volleyball??

WCPO will update this story with more information when it is available.....no updates to be found and no updates expected.

The reporter, Taylor Weiter, has history of reporting false narratives
In 2020 she attended the Until Justice march in Louisville demanding the arrest of cops and filed this report propagating the false narrative in the Breonna Taylor shooting

It's important to always check your sources and do background checks on the reporting "journalist" to determine motivations
Not sure of your purpose with resurrecting this post just to insinuate that Taylor Weiter was making this up when St. Xavier High School confirmed that an incident did occur, choosing not to elaborate on specifics for obvious reasons. St. X admin would be among those happiest that the story was not updated and thus already forgotten, so you've done them more a disservice by bringing it up again than you have to Ms. Weiter's reputation.

"As a community dedicated to the formation of young men into leaders who are committed to the greater good, we view this as an opportunity for reflection and growth. We are committed to supporting our students in learning from this experience, guiding them through a process of reflection, and helping them understand the profound impact their actions have on others and the community at large."

Their parents and St. X admin agree that the 'formation of young men' involves teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions, which they've done, I doubt they'd appreciate your pretentious attempt to shuck fault onto a local news reporter well after its been resolved.

Not sure of your purpose with resurrecting this post just to insinuate that Taylor Weiter was making this up when St. Xavier High School confirmed that an incident did occur, choosing not to elaborate on specifics for obvious reasons. St. X admin would be among those happiest that the story was not updated and thus already forgotten, so you've done them more a disservice by bringing it up again than you have to Ms. Weiter's reputation.

"As a community dedicated to the formation of young men into leaders who are committed to the greater good, we view this as an opportunity for reflection and growth. We are committed to supporting our students in learning from this experience, guiding them through a process of reflection, and helping them understand the profound impact their actions have on others and the community at large."

Their parents and St. X admin agree that the 'formation of young men' involves teaching them to accept responsibility for their actions, which they've done, I doubt they'd appreciate your pretentious attempt to shuck fault onto a local news reporter well after its been resolved.
Appreciate your comments.
I stand by my post

Incoming Freshman class has some ballers with nice size. It's going to get better sooner opposed to later.
The Bomber basketball fans are also interested in "pure basketball players"
Any of these incoming freshmen in that class which could also be categorized as the "players that Kremer let get away"?

The Bomber basketball fans are also interested in "pure basketball players"
Any of these incoming freshmen in that class which could also be categorized as the "players that Kremer let get away"?
Yes, I know of one in particular just wrapped up his 8th grade season and is on to aau ball. #Ballislife then there are a few more "pure hoopers" as well