St.Edward 2004

It's hard to say right now, my sources say there is still alot to be raised, although the school is working hard on the fund raising.

I have recently raised $1,000 from two (1 - St.Ed Alum and 1 - St.Ignatius Alum) sponsors after some serious negotiating. It just so happens that it has to go for funding of the Mosquitoes.

:laugh:

Hey WarriorDee,

I know you and your son are pre herbs, but feel free to jump in anytime about anything. The Seniors over here won't beat you up just because your a Walsh Jesuit man!

fallsdog,

Saturday May 8th (7-9pm) at Johnny Malloy's in Lakewood. I expect to see you and your friends for the fundraiser.

Cleveland Mosquitoes Baseball. It has been the best Semi-Pro team in Northeastern Ohio over the last 10 years. The team has captured 8 of the last 10 city championships representing the city of Cleveland. The team is currently ranked # 9 in Ohio. The team was listed as high as # 23 in the country last season. We have 5 guys that played at St.Edward, 2 from St.Ignatius and others from all over. Three guy's played professionally in Independent and two others played minor league baseball for the Reds-Indians and the Montreal Expos. The age range is from 20-35 on our team and all of them have played college baseball. You can guess who the 35 year old pro is!!!

Anyways, I hit with TJ Shalek yesterday and said I would pass this on to as many St.Edward alums to come and support us. If interested you can visit the Mosquitoes website at www.leaguelineup.com/mosquitoes

The fundraiser (beer and pizza - $15 donation) is Saturday, May 8th from 7-9pm at Johnny Malloy's in Lakewood. Tim O'Malley who I played baseball with at St.Edward is the owner and a sponsor for the team. I also landed a St.Ignatius run company from Westlake to sponsor us. Still working on other sponsors since we will have league and non league games this season. A July 4th (2-5th) weekend Tri-State Tournament in Cincinnati and the Regional Qualifier for the NABF World Series that is played in Youngstown. It will cost us about $3,500 to break even. So we do need help with funding. That doesn't include our hotel fee's, food, gas, wood and aluminum bats.
:eek:

Just for Fun,

If the 2004 season opener was tomorrow against St.Xavier, who would be the starting 22 guys. Don't tell me it's too early. Just pick the offense and defense and we can compare come the end of August.

Also pick the punt returner and 2 kick returners.

QB: Anthony Gardner
RB: Paxton Rose
FB: Matt Altieri
WR: Kyle Skoczen
WR: Kevin Reese??
TE: Alex Spooner
LT: Alex Boone
LG: Joe Thomas
C: Ed Wisneski
RG: Frank Rugierrio
RT: Troy Gannon
K: Joe Kleinsmith

DE: Ben Kuhar??
DT: Nate Smith
DT: Colin Quinn??
DE: Kevin Reese??
LB: Pat Hyland
LB: Nick Marcellino
LB: Tony Arcangelini
CB: Joe Kleinsmith
CB: Greg Miranda??
S: Jacob Reichard
S: Kyle Skoczen??
P: Joe Kleinsmith

KR: Royce Adams, Nate Oliver
PR: Nate Oliver

lineup

qb-gardner
rb=rose
wr-kleinsmith
wr-skoczen
te-spooner
ot-boone
ot-thomas
c=wisniewski
og-gannon
og-quinn
fb-altieri
k-kleinsmith

de-rawlings
de-dvroznak
dt-smith
dt-kubrack,flannery
lb-hyland
lb-marcellino
lb-archangelini
cb-skoczen
cb-boyle
free safety-kleinsmith
rollup safety-reese
p-kleinsmith

pr/kr-oliver,royce,scoczen

I am not familiar with DT Kubrack. Flannery looks to have the size that would be better suited for DE. I heard a while back that Joe Thomas could be a candidate for DT.

All-Time St.Edward 1st Team

Offense: 1st Team

2- QB - S.Carney, B.Adams
4 - RB - C.Williams, R.Stover, K.Farmer, D.Andrews
2 - FB - J.Portale
5 - OL - J.McConville, T.McCormick, J.Hines, K.O'Keefe, A.Boone
2 - TE - C.Sestili, D.Tyler
3 - WR - M.Angelo, R.Gray, C.Haas
1 - K - B.Pierce
2 - KR - D.Groce, H.Nakamura

Defense: 1st Team

4 - DT - B.Flannery, B.Lenart, D.King, G.Fox
4 - DE - R.Marando, R.Bailey, R.Keenan
4 - LB - T.Cousineau, E.Lester, M.Reichard, Paul Girgash
4 - CB - D.Groce, R.Story
2 - S - Nakamura, C.Lepore
2 - PR - D.Andrews, D.Groce
1 - P - G.Paydock

I need 1 FB, 1 DE and 2 CB's to complete the First Team. Any suggestions?
:help:

Edge86 said:
All-Time St.Edward Football Team

We can put together a 1st team, 2nd team offense and defense.

1st Team Offense will consist of: Then repeat the same process for the 2nd Team offense. After completing both 1st and 2nd teams name your Offensive All-Time MVP.

2- QB - Bob Adams, Shawn Carney
4 - RB - C. Williams, R. Stover, D. Andrews, K.Farmer
2 - FB - J.Portale,
5 - OL - McConville, J.McCormick, J.Hines, K.O'Keefe, A.Boone

2 - TE - C.Sestili, D.Tyler
3 - WR - R.Gray, M.Angelo, J.Hornik
1 - K - B.Pierce
2 - KR - D.Groce, H.Nakamura

Defense: Ist Team and repeat the process for 2nd Team. Name a All-Time Defensive MVP.

4 - DT - D.King, B.Lenart, Z.Thompson, B.Flannery
4 - DE - R.Bailey, R.Marando, R.Keenan,
4 - LB - T.Cousineau, E.Lester, P.Girgash, M.Reichard
4 - CB - Groce,
2 - S - C.Lepore, H.Nakamura
2 - PR - D.Groce, D.Andrews
1 - P - G.Paydock

If people want they can name people for Honorable Mention. This will take some work to put together. :D

This is a work in progress!

Eagle fans should stick around after the Ed's-St. X game and watch the Elder-Colerain game which is immediately after followed by Moeller in the nightcap.

It would probably be the first time you folks have seen Colerain play. They should be extremely strong this year....and don't count Elder out of the hunt either

Edge86 said:
I am not familiar with DT Kubrack. Flannery looks to have the size that would be better suited for DE. I heard a while back that Joe Thomas could be a candidate for DT.

You don't know Ice Kube!?!?

kamb said:
You don't know Ice Kube!?!?

No, sorry to say I don't really know who he is kamb. I guess I might concentrate a bit too much on the glamour positions.

Just hope he doesn't melt in the heat. ;)

ALL TIME TEAM

In no particular order, here are some players that I feel would make that team:

QB- Carney, Adams
RB- Stover, Williams
FB- Portale
WR-
OL- A. Boone, Hines, O'Keefe, McConville, McCormick
TE- Marando, Tyler

DE- Keenan, Bailey
DT- Adkins, Thompson, King
LB- JJ Boone, Birt, Cousineau
S- Lepore, Nakamura
C- Groce

K- Pierce (maybe Kleinsmith after this year)

I don't know St. Ed's football as well as all of you guys, but it's clear that (like Ignatius fans), your memories are awfully short. What about Paul Girgash, your great linebacker in the early 80's? What about Steve Schmitz (who got a scholarship to ND) or wide receiver Chuck Haas from '72 who still holds your single season touchdown record? What about that lunatic who played defensive end on the Cousineau team and got a scholarship to Ohio State (Hornik?)? How about that guy named McConville in the early/mid 70's?

And, what's Alex Boone doing on this list at this point? What has he accomplished? I'm not denigrating his potential which is obvious. But, did a couple of games as a sophomore and last year's junior year really propel him onto an all-time list?

CatAlum said:
I don't know St. Ed's football as well as all of you guys, but it's clear that (like Ignatius fans), your memories are awfully short. What about Paul Girgash, your great linebacker in the early 80's? What about Steve Schmitz (who got a scholarship to ND) or wide receiver Chuck Haas from '72 who still holds your single season touchdown record? What about that lunatic who played defensive end on the Cousineau team and got a scholarship to Ohio State (Hornik?)? How about that guy named McConville in the early/mid 70's?

And, what's Alex Boone doing on this list at this point? What has he accomplished? I'm not denigrating his potential which is obvious. But, did a couple of games as a sophomore and last year's junior year really propel him onto an all-time list?

CatAlum,

Girgash,, McConville are already on the # 1 team. As for Schmitz, Haas. They will be on the 2nd team at the very least. Maybe 1st team after I research a bit more. Hornik will most likey be on the 1st team since I have only 3 of the 4 so far.

What's Alex Boone done so far? Been named 1st Team All-Ohio for starters as a junior.

As I said at the bottom of my original post of the 1st team I posted...it's a work in progress for me.

I do however welcome your imput of the earlier years.

Edge: I know there were a few McConville's so I'm wondering if we're talking about the same guy. The one I'm talking about was a running back.

Also, since the 70's was clearly the Golden Era (to this point) for St. Ed's football, shouldn't your all-time team be top heavy with 70's guys?

Here is a list of St. Edward All-Ohio Eagles for reference:

Tim Ansberry 1954 HB
Carl Nagle 1956 T
Tom Coughlin 1961 E
Tim McManus 1968 C
Pete Sexton 1969 LB
Ed Trapanier 1970 T
Ken Andler 1971 E
Larry Redmond 1971 G
Steve Joecken 1973 QB
Steve Schmitz 1973 HB
Mark Angelo 1974 E
Tom Cousineau 1974 LB
Joe Hornik 1974 E
Dan McHugh 1975 QB
Joe Portale 1975 FB
Dan Williams 1975 G
Greg Fox 1976 MG
Frank Kolencik 1976 T
Mark Reichard 1976 LB
Paul Girgash 1978 LB
Denis Lavelle 1978 QB
Bob Hilliard 1979 E
Greg Lowe 1979 G
Tom Beard 1980 MG
Kevin Graven 1980 HB
Jim Gresback 1980 T
Jim McConville 1981 T
Tom McCormick 1981 T
Mark Vito 1981 E
Larry Balogh 1982 G
Kelvin Farmer 1982 HB
Eric Lester 1983 LB
Kevin O'Keefe 1984 G
Dan Andrews 1985 TB
Bryan Flannery 1985 T
Bob Lenart 1986 DT
Chris Williams 1986 TB
Chris Sestili 1987 E
George Paydock 1989, 1990 K
Darius Card 1991 DT
Matt DeWitt 1991 OT
Bob Adams 1993 QB
Brian Laux 1993 OG
Bob Birt 1994 LB
Dan King 1994 MG
Nate Hudak 1995 DL
Zach Thompson 1995 DL
Rodney Bailey 1996 DL
Jeremy Hines 2000, 2001 OL
Raishaun Stover 2001 RB
Ryan Keenan 2001 DL
J.J. Boone 2001, 2002 LB
John Reese 2002 OL
Shaun Carney 2002 QB
Brian Pierce 2002 K
Ryan Marando 2003 DE
Alex Boone 2003 OL
Ryan Bailey 2003 LB
Haruki Nakamura 2003 DB
Joe Kleinsmith 2003 P

All_American Eagles:

NAME YEAR POSITION
Carl Nagle 1956 T
Steve Schmitz 1973 HB
Tom Cousineau 1974 LB
Joe Portale 1975 FB
Frank Kolencik 1976 T
Brian O'Meara 1978
Jim McConville 1981 T
Tom McCormick 1981 T
Kevin O'Keefe 1984 G
Chris Williams 1986 TB
Dan King 1994 MG
Rodney Bailey 1996 DL
DeJuan Groce 1997 DB

(thank JazzyJeff for the list through '02)

70's - 18 - All-Ohio 5 - All-Americans
80's - 16 - All-Ohio 4 - All-Americans
90's - 10 - All-Ohio 3 - All-Americans

70's - 83-16-2
80's - 73-32-2

The 1970's do have a bit of an edge in wins and top player's. The 80's was strong except for the teams of 83 (4-5-1), 88, 89 (5-5) that hurt the overall numbers of the 80's teams.

Research has to be done and I will need more input from people who have seen the players of the 70's - Current. My knowledge to be honest of the Eagles teams reach's the mid 70's and things then become fuzzy so I will need help from other alumni to make changes. Player's of the 80's, 90's are for the most part are bigger, stronger and faster then the player's of the 70's, so that played a part in some of my picks to this point.

sehs95 said:
Here is a list of St. Edward All-Ohio Eagles for reference:

Tim Ansberry 1954 HB
Carl Nagle 1956 T
Tom Coughlin 1961 E
Tim McManus 1968 C
Pete Sexton 1969 LB
Ed Trapanier 1970 T
Ken Andler 1971 E
Larry Redmond 1971 G
Steve Joecken 1973 QB
Steve Schmitz 1973 HB
Mark Angelo 1974 E
Tom Cousineau 1974 LB
Joe Hornik 1974 E
Dan McHugh 1975 QB
Joe Portale 1975 FB
Dan Williams 1975 G
Greg Fox 1976 MG
Frank Kolencik 1976 T
Mark Reichard 1976 LB
Paul Girgash 1978 LB
Denis Lavelle 1978 QB
Bob Hilliard 1979 E
Greg Lowe 1979 G
Tom Beard 1980 MG
Kevin Graven 1980 HB
Jim Gresback 1980 T
Jim McConville 1981 T
Tom McCormick 1981 T
Mark Vito 1981 E
Larry Balogh 1982 G
Kelvin Farmer 1982 HB
Eric Lester 1983 LB
Kevin O'Keefe 1984 G
Dan Andrews 1985 TB
Bryan Flannery 1985 T
Bob Lenart 1986 DT
Chris Williams 1986 TB
Chris Sestili 1987 E
George Paydock 1989, 1990 K
Darius Card 1991 DT
Matt DeWitt 1991 OT
Bob Adams 1993 QB
Brian Laux 1993 OG
Bob Birt 1994 LB
Dan King 1994 MG
Nate Hudak 1995 DL
Zach Thompson 1995 DL
Rodney Bailey 1996 DL
Jeremy Hines 2000, 2001 OL
Raishaun Stover 2001 RB
Ryan Keenan 2001 DL
J.J. Boone 2001, 2002 LB
John Reese 2002 OL
Shaun Carney 2002 QB
Brian Pierce 2002 K
Ryan Marando 2003 DE
Alex Boone 2003 OL
Ryan Bailey 2003 LB
Haruki Nakamura 2003 DB
Joe Kleinsmith 2003 P

All_American Eagles:

NAME YEAR POSITION
Carl Nagle 1956 T
Steve Schmitz 1973 HB
Tom Cousineau 1974 LB
Joe Portale 1975 FB
Frank Kolencik 1976 T
Brian O'Meara 1978
Jim McConville 1981 T
Tom McCormick 1981 T
Kevin O'Keefe 1984 G
Chris Williams 1986 TB
Dan King 1994 MG
Rodney Bailey 1996 DL
DeJuan Groce 1997 DB

(thank JazzyJeff for the list through '02)

Can someone help me figure out what position some of these guy's got elected All-Ohio? For example the E's...Is that a TE or DE? The T's...Is that a DT or OT.

Example: Bryan Flannery of 1985. They list him as a T. I know he was selected as a Defensive Tackle, but for someone who didn't know him they could think that was for offense.

Edge86 said:
Player's of the 80's, 90's are for the most part are bigger, stronger and faster then the player's of the 70's, so that played a part in some of my picks to this point.

It shouldn't.

The All-Ohio players are a nice starting point for the All-time St. Edward team... but I think there would be a few on my All-Eagle team who didn't make All-Ohio. Chris Lepore is definately one of them. Dejuan Groce is another. He would at the very least be returning kicks and punts.

CatAlum said:
It shouldn't.

I just thought that comment would make someone like eaglemercenary happy since we have had this discussion (friendly disagreement) before comparing the 70's teams to the 80's, 80's to 90's and so on.

If it makes you feel better 3-4 linebackers I picked were from the 70's with the exception of Eric Lester who graduated in 1983 and went on to play at West Virginia.

The 80's in my opinion was the Golden Era of the Tailback at St.Edward. I picked 3 of the 4 from the 80's with the exception of Stover.

sehs95 said:
The All-Ohio players are a nice starting point for the All-time St. Edward team... but I think there would be a few on my All-Eagle team who didn't make All-Ohio. Chris Lepore is definately one of them. Dejuan Groce is another. He would at the very least be returning kicks and punts.

sehs95,

I agree with you.

I had selected Lepore at Safety and Groce at CB on my All-Time 1st team.