TV Squid Game

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Anyone watching?

I haven't started yet but it looks interesting. A couple people have highly recommended this to me as the next big thing.

I have watched the first episode. It is a unique plot. The only problem I have with the show is, it is originally some sort of Asian language. So when they translate it, the character's don't match their voice and the lips don't sync with the American words. I know this is something really small and petty to pick at, but other than that, it is really Good.

I thought this would be a game show/reality show. After watching 30 seconds of the trailer, no thanks. Sci fi is bad enough, let alone in a foreign language.

I have watched the first episode. It is a unique plot. The only problem I have with the show is, it is originally some sort of Asian language. So when they translate it, the character's don't match their voice and the lips don't sync with the American words. I know this is something really small and petty to pick at, but other than that, it is really Good.
Not petty. I watched a "news program" yesterday and the sound was off just a tad, making it nearly impossible to watch. Kept trying to sync up. lol

I like it a lot but of course all these leftist want to equate it as an allegory for the ills of capitalism. I wonder why South Korea is one of the most economically advanced countries in the world and N Korea is hell on earth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it a lot but of course all these leftist want to equate it as an allegory for the ills of capitalism. I wonder why South Korea is one of the most economically advanced countries in the world and N Korea is hell on earth.

Because it probably is supposed to be an allegory of capitalism. Korean artist are not immune to thinking wrongly about free markets. Oscar-Winning Parasite and the Gangham Style song, arguably the 2nd and 3rd biggest pieces pop culture from Korea in America are both about inequality and anti-capitalist. One explicitly and one not so explicitly. There is still hope for BTS though.

Because it is lol the creator has said as much

Because it probably is supposed to be an allegory of capitalism. Korean artist are not immune to thinking wrongly about free markets. Oscar-Winning Parasite and the Gangham Style song, arguably the 2nd and 3rd biggest pieces pop culture from Korea in America are both about inequality and anti-capitalist. One explicitly and one not so explicitly. There is still hope for BTS though.
WTF is BTS?

WTF is BTS?

GettyImages-1207834649.jpg

After watching Squid, someone suggested I watch "Alice in Borderland". It was no where as good as Squid and so forget Alice.

Cool, he could go live in N Korea. That’ll make the squid games literally look like children’s games.
That's nice. You're the one whining about people drawing conclusions when the creator himself said that's what it is ?

Oh , that awful K pop garbage.
Their music is not for me, but there are some k-pop acts that rival western acts in commercial and critical reception ?‍♂️

That's nice. You're the one whining about people drawing conclusions when the creator himself said that's what it is ?

Their music is not for me, but there are some k-pop acts that rival western acts in commercial and critical reception ?‍♂️
K pop sucks, and the creator can go live in N Korea. It’s remarkable how you can live in such close proximity to the worst country on earth while your country is one of the most prosperous bc of Capitalism.

I watched the first 4 episodes last night. Got to bed at 2:30am. Obviously I liked it. Haha! I'll probably watch the rest by the end of the week.

I thought this would be a game show/reality show. After watching 30 seconds of the trailer, no thanks. Sci fi is bad enough, let alone in a foreign language.
I was never much into Bruce Lee films for this reason. However, I tried and liked Squid Games. I thought they did a pretty good job of syncing the English. Once I finished episode 1, I found myself completely ignoring it. I really thought I’d hate it because I always have, but they did a great job. I suggest giving it a chance, it might work for you the same it did for me.

Have not watched Squid Game, but I have no idea why anyone would prefer audio dubbing over reading subtitles. Dubbing is always terrible.

I really liked the series. Binged it in two nights, once going to bed at 2:30am and then 4:00am. Just didn't wanna stop. Haha!

Looking forward to season 2.

Have not watched Squid Game, but I have no idea why anyone would prefer audio dubbing over reading subtitles. Dubbing is always terrible.
I prefer subtitles. However, I will say the audio dubbing wasn’t THAT distracting.

Great series and the audio/dubbing thing really wasn't an issue at all.. that's just people looking to find problems. The show IS extremely graphic/gross at times so some may not like it for that reason but otherwise, can't wait for season 2 :)

A good friend of mine thinks this is real, that contestants are really killed.

He also hates Trump and voted for Biden.

So, yeah.