• Marysville by 1-7

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Marysville by 8-16

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • Marysville by 17+

Votes: 11 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hate to say it but I think Marysville takes this 24-7. Marysville’s D has only given up 9 more points this season than SHS. Their offense is about 50 points better on the season. OCC was tougher than the GWOC in
You think marysville will get 24 on springfield?

This is the 4th year these Springfield seniors have been in play-offs. They have numerous D1 recruits. There's little in the schedule to differentiate the two. That would say upset. From what I saw (caveat) Marysville can go much deeper into the bench before they have to play a kid that doesn't know the game well or doesn't hic-up. They very much are disciplined and knowledgeable. They don't have the top end but they have a high average of football athlete.

I would say coaches' biggest task this week on the Springfield side is to keep the fun, not have kids thinking this is the end of the world, play smart as a team as opposed to every kid thinking their role is to be the hero. Play your spot, if you make a mistake, get over it before you line up and I think that evens Marysville's advantage. Marysville is the new team. Springfield plays every play as if they've been here before, then it's down to the coaches adjusting.

At beginning of the year, R2 looked the weakest region. Not so sure about that anymore.
It's gonna be harder than a frozen deer steak to knock off Marysville this week. It can be done, nonetheless.

New play in the Springfield playbook.

Big upset ? No it wouldn’t be .You think Springfield will score easily ? Tight game and not even a small upset if MVille wins
It won't be an upset either way. Both appear to be final 4 material. The common opponent is Dublin Jerome who lost by an identical 34-0 score to both.

Not an upset if MVille wins . Most wouldn’t be surprised to see the game go down to the wire ., if Springfield offense was at near the level of its defense then it would be an upset . It isn’t .
Springfield is a short favorite IMO .Should be a tight lower scoring game

This is the 4th year these Springfield seniors have been in play-offs. They have numerous D1 recruits. There's little in the schedule to differentiate the two. That would say upset. From what I saw (caveat) Marysville can go much deeper into the bench before they have to play a kid that doesn't know the game well or doesn't hic-up. They very much are disciplined and knowledgeable. They don't have the top end but they have a high average of football athlete.

I would say coaches' biggest task this week on the Springfield side is to keep the fun, not have kids thinking this is the end of the world, play smart as a team as opposed to every kid thinking their role is to be the hero. Play your spot, if you make a mistake, get over it before you line up and I think that evens Marysville's advantage. Marysville is the new team. Springfield plays every play as if they've been here before, then it's down to the coaches adjusting.

At beginning of the year, R2 looked the weakest region. Not so sure about that anymore.

New play in the Springfield playbook.
On defense, neither team has an advantage. But, SHS does have the advantage on offense, at qb and with overall team speed. The real question is whether Marysville can adapt and make adjustments to SHS's speed. I expect SHS will be as hyped up as they were for the Centerville game.

Never said they’d score easily I just think it will be extremely difficult for marysville to score I know they are extremely disciplined but this springfield defense is the fastest I’ve seen at the high school level in a long time.
Big upset ? No it wouldn’t be .You think Springfield will score easily ? Tight game and not even a small upset if MVille wins

I
Not an upset if MVille wins . Most wouldn’t be surprised to see the game go down to the wire ., if Springfield offense was at near the level of its defense then it would be an upset . It isn’t .
Springfield is a short favorite IMO .Should be a tight lower scoring game
I expect a game like the 2019 Coffman game. IMO, Coffman outplayed SHS, moved the ball better and had 3-4 scoring opportunities while limiting SHS to just 1 scoring opportunity. The difference was SHS cashed in on their scoring chance with a TD while Coffman didn't finish drives in the red zone and left at least 10 points on the field.

Never said they’d score easily I just think it will be extremely difficult for marysville to score I know they are extremely disciplined but this springfield defense is the fastest I’ve seen at the high school level in a long time.
You have to give the advantage to SHS because they have a veteran team with great playoff experience, and they played a better schedule with a good mix of different types of opponents in the GWOC and non-league. Marysville's players don't have comparable playoff experience. They haven't played Ignatius, GCL South, Wayne or Centerville. This year, they played a subpar schedule of similar style nearby schools. They didn't play any of the top schools in Columbus this year like PC, UA, or NA. SHS is better prepared and battle tested as the 2x defending R2 champion.

Don't say Centerville is a good team, they came to Columbus and lost to a average Gahanna team. Centerville is now like playing Olentangy or Hilliard Bradley. It is not the same program it was, they are a soft team and have trouble with Dayton teams they used to beat 55 to 7, and it makes me sad as a former player that the toughness and play all out style of play is gone and will probably never come back in that community.

On the other hand living in Marysville now, they are building their program like Centerville did in the 70's and 80's. With toughness and conditioning and giving your all. Yes this community will never have the upper middle class that Centerville has, but it is putting pride into its's football program and building it around the players they have. They play hard and go all out each week, and once they ditched the spread a few years ago things have been better each year.

Marysville has more team speed than you think, yes not on the level of Springfield, but more than Mberg, Fairmont, Findley, Centerville, Witmer and anyone they have played except Springfield.

Don't say Centerville is a good team, they came to Columbus and lost to a average Gahanna team. Centerville is now like playing Olentangy or Hilliard Bradley. It is not the same program it was, they are a soft team and have trouble with Dayton teams they used to beat 55 to 7, and it makes me sad as a former player that the toughness and play all out style of play is gone and will probably never come back in that community.

On the other hand living in Marysville now, they are building their program like Centerville did in the 70's and 80's. With toughness and conditioning and giving your all. Yes this community will never have the upper middle class that Centerville has, but it is putting pride into its's football program and building it around the players they have. They play hard and go all out each week, and once they ditched the spread a few years ago things have been better each year.

Marysville has more team speed than you think, yes not on the level of Springfield, but more than Mberg, Fairmont, Findley, Centerville, Witmer and anyone they have played except Springfield.
Centerville was ranked 9th in the state when they played SHS, with a 1st place vote. And Harrison is a highly rated qb. It's not fair to compare the Dayton area competition of today to the 1970s and 1980s. The truth is, when Centerville was in their glory days, the rest of the WOL was very very weak. In fact, the weakness of the WOL schedule back then brought Centerville down. It prevented them from getting the computer points they needed to make the playoffs. Arguably, today's Centerville teams play a much tougher regular season schedule.

Marysville is playing very well. As a casual observer, while Springfield's offense has consistently been inconsistent as far as scoring, the keys for them are ultimately defense and coaching. In the last two regional championship games they've given up 3 total points. They have a very talented defense and they need to continue to be lights out with the tendencies their offense has. If they give up over 17 points they are very likely to lose from this point forward. In tight games, coaching experience particularly with the head coach having several games under his belt at this point or further in the playoffs on his resume has to be translated into a definitive advantage against a newcomer program.

Marysville is playing very well. As a casual observer, while Springfield's offense has consistently been inconsistent as far as scoring, the keys for them are ultimately defense and coaching. In the last two regional championship games they've given up 3 total points. They have a very talented defense and they need to continue to be lights out with the tendencies their offense has. If they give up over 17 points they are very likely to lose from this point forward. In tight games, coaching experience particularly with the head coach having several games under his belt at this point or further in the playoffs on his resume has to be translated into a definitive advantage against a newcomer program.
Remember, against Elder, SHS scored 24 points. At the very end, they were driving deep into Elder territory when they ran outta time.

Centerville was ranked 9th in the state when they played SHS, with a 1st place vote. And Harrison is a highly rated qb. It's not fair to compare the Dayton area competition of today to the 1970s and 1980s. The truth is, when Centerville was in their glory days, the rest of the WOL was very very weak. In fact, the weakness of the WOL schedule back then brought Centerville down. It prevented them from getting the computer points they needed to make the playoffs. Arguably, today's Centerville teams play a much tougher regular season schedule.
Your not going to change my mind on Centerville, they are nowhere close to their teams of 10 years ago. Who cares if they have a good QB they are not tough and can't run when they need to any more. I have said my thoughts years ago on Centerville and it will not get better or change in the long run, Springfield, Wayne , and a lot of years Northmont are better programs now. The worst thing for Centerville was changing offenses after Ullery got run out of town, and the triple option or a power running game are never coming back, that is going to make it very hard to ever be a force in region 2.

Your not going to change my mind on Centerville, they are nowhere close to their teams of 10 years ago. Who cares if they have a good QB they are not tough and can't run when they need to any more. I have said my thoughts years ago on Centerville and it will not get better or change in the long run, Springfield, Wayne , and a lot of years Northmont are better programs now. The worst thing for Centerville was changing offenses after Ullery got run out of town, and the triple option or a power running game are never coming back, that is going to make it very hard to ever be a force in region 2.
I'm not disagreeing with most of what you're saying. I'm just saying it's worth mentioning how weak Dayton area football and the WOL was back in the glory days. That plays a part in those 55-7 scores you mentioned. I'm sure you're aware Springfield generally was not competitive in the 1970s and 80s. During those glory years, some Centerville teams only played 1 really good opponent. Today, with how things have evened out and how the Dayton-Springfield area HS football now has caught up with Cincinnati and Cleveland, the regular season schedules and GWOC are much tougher, quality opponents

Remember, against Elder, SHS scored 24 points. At the very end, they were driving deep into Elder territory when they ran outta time.
Their offense was a lot more dynamic two years ago IMO. They had two backs that combined for over 2,100 yards and 30 TDs on the ground. I think they have a pair of talented backs but they seem to not utilize them enough at times for them to get into any groove or rhythm. Everything is the Smoot show for better or worse, and they're going wherever he takes them offensively. He ran or threw on 42 of their 58 snaps against Findlay. I'd look for him to run the ball 20+ times again this week.

Their offense was a lot more dynamic two years ago IMO. They had two backs that combined for over 2,100 yards and 30 TDs on the ground. I think they have a pair of talented backs but they seem to not utilize them enough at times for them to get into any groove or rhythm. Everything is the Smoot show for better or worse, and they're going wherever he takes them offensively. He ran or threw on 42 of their 58 snaps against Findlay. I'd look for him to run the ball 20+ times again this week.
But in the game before Elder, they had no offense against Coffman. That 1 TD drive was the only offense in that game. Thank God it was enough.

I'm not disagreeing with most of what you're saying. I'm just saying it's worth mentioning how weak Dayton area football and the WOL was back in the glory days. That plays a part in those 55-7 scores you mentioned. I'm sure you're aware Springfield generally was not competitive in the 1970s and 80s. During those glory years, some Centerville teams only played 1 really good opponent. Today, with how things have evened out and how the Dayton-Springfield area HS football now has caught up with Cincinnati and Cleveland, the regular season schedules and GWOC are much tougher, quality opponents
In the 2000-2010 time period Centerville was blowing teams out in league, yes not Wayne, Northmont, or Springfield. There were seldom close games against Fairmont, Beavercreek, Miamisburg, but in the last 10 years a lot more close games versus those teams. Yes Springfield has gotten a lot better but those North and South teams of the 90's and early 200's were not bad. Wayne got a lot better in 2000's and when they had a Springfield player they almost won a state title. To me Centerville is get closer to the Miamisburg's than to the Wayne's and Springfields.

In the 2000-2010 time period Centerville was blowing teams out in league, yes not Wayne, Northmont, or Springfield. There were seldom close games against Fairmont, Beavercreek, Miamisburg, but in the last 10 years a lot more close games versus those teams. Yes Springfield has gotten a lot better but those North and South teams of the 90's and early 200's were not bad. Wayne got a lot better in 2000's and when they had a Springfield player they almost won a state title. To me Centerville is get closer to the Miamisburg's than to the Wayne's and Springfields.
Wait a minute. I remember during that time period Centerville going 3-7 with losses to both North and South in the same year who both had subpar teams. Also in that time period, the 1st year of the new combined SHS, Elks lost 7-0 to SHS who had a losing inaugural season and was getting blown out by opponents. In 2004, Colerain beat the Elks in the playoffs 35-0. This is all pretty similar to what's going on today.