Springfield (2-3) at Fairmont (3-2)

Sounds like the same coaching strategy he used when they got shutout in last year's playoffs. Keep Coach Miller!
Springfield was held to 21 points 4 times last season. 2 of those were Fairmont.
Springfield was amazing last year. I’m saying is that Fairmont can keep the game close and hope to win it at the end. That’s their formula and I think it’s the best thing for Fairmont.
They always have a good defense because they play 6-8 possessions a game. They are fresh and their offense limits your chances

Springfield was held to 21 points 4 times last season. 2 of those were Fairmont.
Springfield was amazing last year. I’m saying is that Fairmont can keep the game close and hope to win it at the end. That’s their formula and I think it’s the best thing for Fairmont.
They always have a good defense because they play 6-8 possessions a game. They are fresh and their offense limits your chances
Sorry 5 times. I forgot about state.

No. I am not saying that Fairmont was better or that Springfield sucks. I’m just stating the reason Fairmont was in that game was because they limited the amount of possessions and won the game at the end. That’s why the triple works for some teams. Fairmont is wayyyyy less skilled than Springfield last year but they used their advantage (Offensive Line) and power football to their advantage.
If Fairmont lined up in 4-5 WR and threw the ball against Springfield, it would be her ugly.
Don’t try to talk sense or anything like that with this guy. He’s a 60 some year old man that throws tantrums on a high school football forum when someone disagrees with him. That is if he stays around to post and does not run away.

No. I am not saying that Fairmont was better or that Springfield sucks. I’m just stating the reason Fairmont was in that game was because they limited the amount of possessions and won the game at the end. That’s why the triple works for some teams. Fairmont is wayyyyy less skilled than Springfield last year but they used their advantage (Offensive Line) and power football to their advantage.
If Fairmont lined up in 4-5 WR and threw the ball against Springfield, it would be her ugly.
All I'm saying is last year's regular season game against Fairmont was the one they didn't play their best game. Year before, it was the Miamisburg game. They were very close to having 4 straight undefeated regular seasons. But, had that happened, the ensuing pressure might have hurt them in the playoffs.

Don’t try to talk sense or anything like that with this guy. He’s a 60 some year old man that throws tantrums on a high school football forum when someone disagrees with him. That is if he stays around to post and does not run away.
Why is it any of your damn business if another poster and I try to have an actual football discussion. Hence, another example of you ruining threads with useless, obsessive, non-sensical trash talk posts. Again, take your responsibility for it.

I agree Fairmont is good at limiting opponent's offense. But, their own offense needs to compliment that.

I’m looking at a 14 point victory by fairmont. Springfield’s qb situation still does not seem stable yet. Payne is back for fairmont he will cause trouble with any passing shs does. The dline seems to be coming together to stop the run attack they had last week. New backfield can score.

Why is it any of your damn business if another poster and I try to have an actual football discussion. Hence, another example of you ruining threads with useless, obsessive, non-sensical trash talk posts. Again, take your responsibility for it.
You jumped in on him because he slighted SHS in a conversation with someone else. Sound familiar? As for the trash talk this is a sports forum trash talk comes with the territory so I suggest you take off the depends and put on your big boy pants and deal with it. You had to have heard trash talk when you played it shouldn’t be anything new.

btw I’ll respond to anyone I want especially fools.

You jumped in on him because he slighted SHS in a conversation with someone else. Sound familiar? As for the trash talk this is a sports forum trash talk comes with the territory so I suggest you take off the depends and put on your big boy pants and deal with it. You had to have heard trash talk when you played it shouldn’t be anything new.

btw I’ll respond to anyone I want especially fools.
Thank you for confirming that the useless, non-sensical trash talk posts are all your fault. Regardless, I am going to hold up my end of the deal I proposed. I will no longer acknowledge you, reference you or direct any posts towards you. So, if any other Yappi users want to complain about future non-sensical, useless posts and threads, they will need to take that up with you. Thank you. Goodbye.

Why are you telling me this? This is a very good example of someone like you starting a nonsense, useless, boring, trash talk thread. If it makes any difference at all, I don't give a s*** what you think about SHS, their football program, their offense, the refs or what happened in any given game. How about this. Why don't you direct useless, nonsensical posts to someone else who might care what you think? Perhaps another SHS fan like CFIK or catscatscats would like to discuss with you? Or, maybe Dayride who shares your desire to flood Yappi with useless, nonsensical posts? Or better yet, how about contacting Coach Douglass and his staff and the SHS AD directly to ask them for a response to your stupid questions? In the unlikely event they are interested in your thoughts, they are in the best position to respond to you. Anyways, please leave me out of it as I really don't care what you think about SHS. Thank you for your cooperation. Goodbye.
You can dish it out but you can’t take it .
interesting

Have been waiting for this debate for a few years. Dave was the savior when he got to Fairmont and greatly improved their program. Those kids and parents are mostly gone now and some of the natives are getting restless as well.

I love the Glen Mason comparison. I think Dave Miller is one of the best coaches in Dayton. I would have him in the top 5. I HATE watching them play. It is boring, but his job is not to entertain anyone. It is to give his kids their best chance to win and I think he does that.

I have actually talked to him about adding 8-10 passing plays out of the spread or any formation. Something for end of half situations or to completely surprise someone on a change of possession. Put your best passer in and have a series of plays. He laughed at me and said a few things I can’t repeat on this board.

Those that mentioned Centerville being a powerhouse in the 80s and 90s know what offense they ran? Dave was a QB at Centerville. Centerville was great in the WOL and had one run in 1991(?). Other than that, not a ton of consistent playoff success.

Davidson and Pickerington Central would be the two D 1s that have won at the state level running this kind of offense.

I hope Fairmont does not get rid of him. They are better with him. Those that think Fairmont should compete for regional titles in football, please list their playoff victories in the history of their school. I would like to see that list.

Have been waiting for this debate for a few years. Dave was the savior when he got to Fairmont and greatly improved their program. Those kids and parents are mostly gone now and some of the natives are getting restless as well.

I love the Glen Mason comparison. I think Dave Miller is one of the best coaches in Dayton. I would have him in the top 5. I HATE watching them play. It is boring, but his job is not to entertain anyone. It is to give his kids their best chance to win and I think he does that.

I have actually talked to him about adding 8-10 passing plays out of the spread or any formation. Something for end of half situations or to completely surprise someone on a change of possession. Put your best passer in and have a series of plays. He laughed at me and said a few things I can’t repeat on this board.

Those that mentioned Centerville being a powerhouse in the 80s and 90s know what offense they ran? Dave was a QB at Centerville. Centerville was great in the WOL and had one run in 1991(?). Other than that, not a ton of consistent playoff success.

Davidson and Pickerington Central would be the two D 1s that have won at the state level running this kind of offense.

I hope Fairmont does not get rid of him. They are better with him. Those that think Fairmont should compete for regional titles in football, please list their playoff victories in the history of their school. I would like to see that list.
It’s really too bad Miller has such an attitude about the passing game. They do not need to go to the spread, however, as you stated, they need to add a passing threat if they want to compete for GWOC championships. As others have posted, they have had some quality offensive skill position players in the middle schools, but they leave as there is no future for them to grow in the Fairmont offensive scheme. It wouldn’t take a great amount of change in their offense to allow them to compete with SHS, Centerville, and Wayne every year.

There is no dispute he improved the program. Strength and conditioning as well as the effort he gets from those kids is impressive.

I don’t know about him being a top 5 coach in the area. Top 5 motivator yeah but he has done some in game stuff that no coach with that much experience should do. Especially when it comes to clock management.

Like I said before anyone knows anything about fairmont knows they could not survive in a full spread offense. If you notice they pass on a lot of plays to the halfback or fullback and maybe it comes back to the qb. One of the reason for this is the oline does not know how to pass block. They don’t practice it and if they do it’s very little.

Centerville also produced a few D1 players in that run so they had more talent than what they have at fairmont now. Not to mention kids are bigger and faster now so that offense is harder to run in D1 now. As one of my kids said to me you know if that offense really worked a pro team would draft the right guys and run it

I will give it to him he has his thing and sticks to it, but a few passes a game would greatly improve their chances to win. I’ve seen games where teams put the whole defensive backfield up to the line and he still won’t pass.

ii have never heard anyone call for his firing it’s just the same complaint you have those games are terrible to watch and my complaint throw it some. Including this years qb and the two before him they had capable arms and kids who can catch.

Thank you for confirming that the useless, non-sensical trash talk posts are all your fault. Regardless, I am going to hold up my end of the deal I proposed. I will no longer acknowledge you, reference you or direct any posts towards you. So, if any other Yappi users want to complain about future non-sensical, useless posts and threads, they will need to take that up with you. Thank you. Goodbye.
As I don't have ORB currently on my ignore list, I do have ole Day Ride and a few others on here. It's a great feature! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Heard Moe had some kids from the band out running routes and throwing some balls. Good news for Springfield fans is the Bassoon player has great hands and quick feet and the drum major can sling the rock. Things are looking up for the Wildcats.

Centerville had "not a ton of consistent playoff success" running the "Veer" Option offense because their best teams from '75 thru '83 were NEVER INVITED to the playoffs! Those teams went 73-7 and averaged 4 shutouts per season. It's hard to be consistent when you don't get to play...
At least 4 of those teams would have made BIG playoff runs in today's playoff format...BIG.

Last edited:
That would have made a very dangerous backfield.
I don't know what position Newcomb played in JR high I think they had Powers at QB and I think Doty and Yates in the backfield. Ill ask around for some clarification.

I don't know what position Newcomb played in JR high I think they had Powers at QB and I think Doty and Yates in the backfield. Ill ask around for some clarification.
He played QB. Newcomb is a year below Powers and Yates. He’s only a junior this year.

He played QB. Newcomb is a year below Powers and Yates. He’s only a junior this year.
That makes sense. I cant keep many of these kids straight along with their grade. I know it was a big blow to football and basketball when Powers and Yates left.

That makes sense. I cant keep many of these kids straight along with their grade. I know it was a big blow to football and basketball when Powers and Yates left.
Only reason I know is because I used to coach middle school for the Burg, and my son is good friends with Newcomb. Powers, Yates, and Newcomb are all great football and basketball players. Losing all 3 would be a huge blow for sure.

Only reason I know is because I used to coach middle school for the Burg, and my son is good friends with Newcomb. Powers, Yates, and Newcomb are all great football and basketball players. Losing all 3 would be a huge blow for sure.
I know Yates' brother went to Boro. I still don't understand the stopover in Trotwood. Was it the loss of Rocky, the under performance of the football team, both, or none of the above. Oh well he is probably the only one that knows.

I know Yates' brother went to Boro. I still don't understand the stopover in Trotwood. Was it the loss of Rocky, the under performance of the football team, both, or none of the above. Oh well he is probably the only one that knows.
I’m not sure on that either.

Stopped by Fairmont practice today as I do every Tuesday. They call it tolerance Tuesdays. I talk to the team about how to deal with others who they may have differences with like an adult and not resort to bullying, yelling, fighting, storming off and other childish behavior.

anyway while giving my talk a noticed some younger players in the group. After my talk I asked coach Miller who they were. He said they brought in the qb and some receivers from the 7th grade team to run the scout team this week. Apparently the qb throws a lot of ints and the receivers drop a lot of balls. He said he was trying to simulate the SHS offense as much as possible and his backups were too good to do it so he brought them in.

Stopped by Fairmont practice today as I do every Tuesday. They call it tolerance Tuesdays. I talk to the team about how to deal with others who they may have differences with like an adult and not resort to bullying, yelling, fighting, storming off and other childish behavior.

anyway while giving my talk a noticed some younger players in the group. After my talk I asked coach Miller who they were. He said they brought in the qb and some receivers from the 7th grade team to run the scout team this week. Apparently the qb throws a lot of ints and the receivers drop a lot of balls. He said he was trying to simulate the SHS offense as much as possible and his backups were too good to do it so he brought them in.
All funny stuff aside fairmont calls in former players for scout team and current college players for scale team. That is why their defense is consistent

But I also did hear that he was going to bring the seventh grade in this week for this game being a big one