Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

I would agree with this. They should be playing in a sectional final/district semifinal to get there just about every year.

If they are outside of the top-6 (should be Springboro, Centerville, Wayne, Fairmont, Springfield, and Beavercreek in most years) in this area for years at a time, they are royally screwing up and something is very off culturally.
mixture of bizarro and entitled parents.....wack job school board members.......failed leadership (see story about their previous superintendent who stole money from them)........yes on the surface they should be competitive every year -- SHOULD be.....its just a weird place.

shame because they have a legit stud freshman (soon to be sophmore) and he is being wasted

Last edited:
Go to Troy Holtrey and beg him to take the job back. You people have no clue what the hell you are doing.
Holtrey was a big winner when the school played in Division 2 in less than stellar conferences. He consistently took undefeated, one or two loss teams into the tournament and got whacked in the first or second game for years and years. When he joined the GWOC he seemed to have lost his mojo and became a distinctly average coach at best.

Holtrey was good based on the fact he knew what coaching took year around, of course a harder league is harder for every coach. Springboro is a bad situation, the next coach needs to be an experienced head coach and allowed to have his rules only that are backed by admins. I believe the last three coaches they have hired are rookie head coaches?

Bales and Holtrey have a lot in common, each coach knows how the job works year around, each coached the biggest school in their league with a lot of success.

High school coaching success is being in the top part of your league standings year in year out. In high school coaching it is not realistic to play for a district title every year.

High school coaching success is being in the top part of your league standings year in year out. In high school coaching it is not realistic to play for a district title every year.
Really? There are quite a few schools that have figured out how to play for districts each year

I only asked because both coaches seemed to have benefited from being the largest schools in their league, but zero playoff success for most of their career.
I’d agree every year to assume a district championship, but going to one every 2-3 years and winning one every 4-5 is realistic.

I think it would be a good fit for Bales, There is some talent coming through Springboro in the younger kids. Im pretty sure they started two freshman this past season. Bales has a some solid teams coming through Franklin with a lot of talent to help him. He knows how to teach and coach those talented players. Also teaches them to be fine young men. Think he would have to have total control though as he wouldn't put up with the BS i hear that goes on there

What’s your definition of success?
I think it has to do how the coaching impacts young men. And teaches them things that positively impacts their lives. Now fans might want wins and parents want playing time for their kids. Unfortunately the latter result in good coaches / teachers getting cut loose too soon.

Not saying any of the coaches mentioned are good or bad regarding these points.

Cupps at Centerville has focused on process and positive impact on players. And the basketball has been very good but believe it or not that hasn't been his focus. Process over results almost always ends with good results if the team buys in.

Last edited:
I think it has to do how the coachy impacts young men. And teaches them things that positively impacts their lives. Now fans might want wins and parents want playing time for their kids. Unfortunately the latter result in good coaches / teachers getting cut loose too soon.

Not saying any of the coaches mentioned are good or bad regarding these points.

Cupps at Centerville has focused on process and positive impact on players. And the basketball has been very good but believe it or not that hasn't been his focus. Process over results almost always ends with good results if the team buys in.

I agree coaches that do the good stuff off the court better win too. Its a shame when you see those guys let go.

That being said I don't think Bales would enjoy coaching in the GWOC at Springboro. Even with their best talent most of the time they still would not be as good as 2 or 3 of the top GWOC teams. He is used to being the big fish in the small pond not the other way around.

There was nothing wrong with the last coach, he was ran out of Springboro by parents and a weak administration. 1st year he took over was in the middle of Covid and only had 27 total kids come out for Basketball for all 3 levels his first year, year 2 only 35 kids came out total. Hard to win with those numbers, they were setup for future success with how many Fresh, Soph, Juniors that are returning. Despite all of that, they lost 18 games by single digits. Learning how to win isn't as easy as some of you make it when those kids are used to getting beat their whole lives. He added a complete off-season program that never existed.

In Year 1 -
Springboro - 5-16 (45.4 ppg - 219 Asst, 327 Turnovers)
In Year 2 -
Springboro - 9-15 (54.8 ppg - 298 Asst, 285 Turnovers)

When you say he ran off the coaches? The ones that were part of past failures. The freshman team this year added 7 more wins from the previous season, the JV added 6 more wins, so it made the program stronger. Springboro administration acts like they belong in the GWOC when it comes to basketball, but nobody there has any clue on what it takes. The previous coach was too much for Springboro parents. Playing time has always been given if you had influence in the community and last coach wasn't into that. It ultimately cost him.

He didn't resign in January, he was forced to resign. A soph parent meet with the AD in late January accusing the coach of yelling something across the floor at their son in a December game, this also happened to be the last game their son started and as a freshman he played a lot. What parent hears a coach yells this, waits an entire month to bring it to the AD if it really happened? Coach completely denied this allegation, the super intendent with no video proof, no others saying it happened gave the coach 2 options.

1) resign
2) go on administrative leave while an investigation happens to see if he said it

Coach then asked, how long with the investigation take? he was told it could take 3 days or 3 weeks. this is with 5 games left in the season. Coach Kostoff then tells them - go ahead with the investigation, says he has nothing to hide. AD then tells Kostoff, well even if the investigation comes back that you didn't say it, HR has decided not to renew your contract for next season.

So again Coach was left with the following options:
1) Resign with 5 games left
2) Let the investigation happen, placed on Administrative Leave & was told he won't be coming back next year & all this would go on his coaching record

What option did he have? like I said he was forced out and it's all because the administration allowed parents get to them while their kid was having to work for what it took to win and they cried to administration.

Yes. I personally know Kostoff & is a great friend. anyone that thinks he would resign with 5 games left is clueless. one of the hardest working & bright young coaches around and he will land on his feet. He took over a crumbling program while the GWOC is loaded with upper classman in Centerville, Wayne, Fairmont the last couple years, Boro was heading in that direction in the next couple years, but nobody in Springboro can handle the truth when it came to their son. they are all okay with losing as long as their son has 12 points.

Take it for what you want. There are always more to the story than you guys think. Carry on. To everyone that is posting that Springboro is a train wreck, you'd be correct.
thanks for the details.....as i posted earlier in this thread springboro is an absolute mess from top to bottom........and now, why would anyone whos a good coach want to coach there??? if i were coaching.......wouldnlt touch that place w a 10 foot pole

apple doesnt fall far from the tree....kostoff came from lasalle......ever see their coach??? the guys antics are insane

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. You guys believe anything. That was never said to any kid. No coach or player heard anything, just the kids parents who's kid wasn't allowed to shoot everytime down the court. Maybe his personality turned some off because he was demanding & trying to remove the Springboro soft from them, but to accuse him of saying something he never did is just wrong, especially when the only proof is that kids parents. As they say on ESPN....C'mon man. Funny you guys don't know who to side with. You bash Springboro nonstop & the previous coaches. Amazing none of the coaches that have left there are struggling anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your last sentence of your post is the problem in Springboro! That earns parents respect? Really? The parents in Springboro are extremely entitled, only like a coach if they can be buddies, coach on the staff, coach at the lower levels, know an administrator, or hold back your kid…..which is rampant in Springboro. I’m so glad my kids graduated from there along time ago.
Am I wrong?

What makes you think football is doing well? I’m not saying it’s bad, but when I attend my grandsons youth sports games for his Springboro teams. The only response I hear is they have beat Centerville a few times. Nothing else about football.
They have had some very undisciplined kids and I have not followed the last 2 years, but what is their record for the last 5-10 years that says success?

How did the kids play the last games of the season without the coach? Looked pretty free and relaxed. 2 well liked coaches quit as soon as Kostoff hired them because they didn’t like Kostoff breaking OSHAA rules and treating boys disrespectfully. A senior quit mid season because of his mental health from Kostoff’s lack of empathy to players needs. Although I don’t agree with the parents having power to fire in this situation I can assure you there were FAR more than one set of parents complaining directly to administration. 5 or more had complained since his first season. Specifically about his treatment to the KIDS. Another pitfall of not having an educator in coaching. Further problems were parent coaches and too many parents being OVER involved and Kostoff allowing it. If parents in Springboro are such a problem why don’t other Springboro sports (football) have similar problems?? Although basketball is a different beast this was a BAD HIRE from the start. Admin should take responsibility which I think they have and we will see if the next hire can bring the program back to its value as with Holtry and Holweger. Get a acceptable coach that earns parents player respectand parents will complain less
A Springboro parent has found yappi! No coaches quit because of OHSAA rules or Kostoff. It was a schedule conflict. Last year's senior quit due to playing time. My God. If he was so attacked why did Kostoff go to dinner with him at the end of the year & still give him his senior jersey? Players played free & relaxed at the end? No wonder they started giving up 70 ppg the day he walked out. That's what Springboro wants free, relaxed, everyone smiling - regardless of outcome. Holweger was fired because he wouldn't get rid of his JV & Freshman coach like administration told him. So they fired him.

Your last sentence of your post is the problem in Springboro! That earns parents respect? Really? The parents in Springboro are extremely entitled, only like a coach if they can be buddies, coach on the staff, coach at the lower levels, know an administrator, or hold back your kid…..which is rampant in Springboro. I’m so glad my kids graduated from there along time ago.
Am I wrong?

What makes you think football is doing well? I’m not saying it’s bad, but when I attend my grandsons youth sports games for his Springboro teams. The only response I hear is they have beat Centerville a few times. Nothing else about football.
They have had some very undisciplined kids and I have not followed the last 2 years, but what is their record for the last 5-10 years that says success?
Nothing wrong with earning parents respect as a knowledgeable professional caring coach. I didn’t say anything about being a coaches Buddy although yes it is a problem for the recently released Kostoff(his buddy/ parent coaches turned on him.Rookie mistake) He brought that upon himself. Most coaches I know have earned parents respect in Boro and other schools. Absolutely. Doesn’t mean the like them and friends for life. Just respect. Our years in Centerville and Boro we respected 95% of coaches because they were respectable honorable knowledgeable ppl that knew how to handle players and parents - good and bad.And the best we’re educators

Last edited:
A Springboro parent has found yappi! No coaches quit because of OHSAA rules or Kostoff. It was a schedule conflict. Last year's senior quit due to playing time. My God. If he was so attacked why did Kostoff go to dinner with him at the end of the year & still give him his senior jersey? Players played free & relaxed at the end? No wonder they started giving up 70 ppg the day he walked out. That's what Springboro wants free, relaxed, everyone smiling - regardless of outcome. Holweger was fired because he wouldn't get rid of his JV & Freshman coach like administration told him. So they fired him.
lol. Wrong on most accounts.
Well no parents went after Holweger to get him fired(which he wasn’t) abs has an stellar reputation among many generations of former HS players,college coaches, fellow teachers, parents and community members. Sure you will have a handful of naysayers but he is a gold standard.and it’s ok to smile in basketball, sone coaches even encourage it

Last edited: