Sources: Ben Simmons won't report, done with Philadelphia 76ers

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
In a looming standoff that could have lasting implications for the NBA, Philadelphia 76ers All-Star forward Ben Simmons will not report for the opening of training camp next week and intends to never play another game for the franchise, sources told ESPN.

Simmons, 25, wants a trade out of Philadelphia and told management that he has no plans to wear an NBA uniform again until he's moved to a new team, sources said.

A couple of things on this...and I'm a Sixers fan so I've followed this.

This is a "report" from a "source" which seems very popular these days. Also remember that ESPN and the NBA are business partners. To me, it's incredibly irresponsible from a journalistic standpoint for ESPN to "report" on anything to do with anything they broadcast. So all apologies aside the ESPN reporters, this just basically pumps up their product and has little merit, IMO.

Until I hear Simmons say he doesn't want to be in Philly, which we've never heard, I won't put much into it. Remember how many teams Dame Lilliard was going to be traded to during this off season? It's just carrying the NBA mantra along during a dead period.

There are few placed Ben could go that would be better than Philly for him to succeed. Doc's a veteran coach and works well with players. He's not going to want to go somewhere where he's in a rebuild.

A couple of things on this...and I'm a Sixers fan so I've followed this.

This is a "report" from a "source" which seems very popular these days. Also remember that ESPN and the NBA are business partners. To me, it's incredibly irresponsible from a journalistic standpoint for ESPN to "report" on anything to do with anything they broadcast. So all apologies aside the ESPN reporters, this just basically pumps up their product and has little merit, IMO.

Until I hear Simmons say he doesn't want to be in Philly, which we've never heard, I won't put much into it. Remember how many teams Dame Lilliard was going to be traded to during this off season? It's just carrying the NBA mantra along during a dead period.

There are few placed Ben could go that would be better than Philly for him to succeed. Doc's a veteran coach and works well with players. He's not going to want to go somewhere where he's in a rebuild.
Two things…

Simmons might want to be the man on a lesser team, rather than a key player on a contending Sixers team. That wouldn’t speak well of Simmons, if true.

Also, yes…the ESPN rumors are designed to help ESPN. They speculated day after day which major market would land Giannis, with never a thought he could actually choose to stay with the Bucks. He did, of course, and it worked out well for him…but not necessarily for ESPN/ABC.

Hope the Cavs offer for BS that was on ESPN show today doesn't get done,insane offer but nice if Love is gone.

I can't believe the Cavs have anything they'd be willing to part with that the Sixers would actually accept, even if Simmons does in fact not report and tries to force his way out.

The trade scenario ESPN pitched on an "Insider" article of Love and three 1st round picks (light to no protection) for Simmons would be unbelievably one sided for the Cavs, and I'm not much of a Simmons fan. If the Cavs got Simmons while also keeping all of the young guys, after this year they would at worst be a playoff team for the next several years barring major injuries. I can't believe the Sixers would settle for basically a salary dump player with a few first rounders that would likely end up being between picks 15-25. I'd probably argue it would be a favorable Cavs trade if they sent one of Sexton/Garland along with Love, Okoro and a pair of first rounders.

I can't believe the Cavs have anything they'd be willing to part with that the Sixers would actually accept, even if Simmons does in fact not report and tries to force his way out.

The trade scenario ESPN pitched on an "Insider" article of Love and three 1st round picks (light to no protection) for Simmons would be unbelievably one sided for the Cavs, and I'm not much of a Simmons fan. If the Cavs got Simmons while also keeping all of the young guys, after this year they would at worst be a playoff team for the next several years barring major injuries. I can't believe the Sixers would settle for basically a salary dump player with a few first rounders that would likely end up being between picks 15-25. I'd probably argue it would be a favorable Cavs trade if they sent one of Sexton/Garland along with Love, Okoro and a pair of first rounders.
I would make that trade so fast the cell phone would catch fire. To add Simmons to the core while losing Love would put the Cavs in amazing shape for a long window of contention. Parts of the core could be traded for other valuable assets along the way if needed, or the core stays together and wins. It would be a terrible deal for Philly.

I can see it now:
1 - Darius Garland 6-1, 21 year old
2 - Ben Simmons 6-11, 25 year old
3 - Lauri Markkanen 7-0, 24 year old
4 - Evan Mobley 7-0, 20 year old
5 - Jarrett Allen 6-11, 23 year old

2024 NBA Champions!!!!