From SolonAAA-

Solon-19 JFK-17...1st qtr
Solon-35 JFK-26 ...Halftime
Solon-47 JFK-26....4:55 in 3rd qtr
Solon-63 JFK-38....6:30 remain
Solon-85 JFK-50....FINAL

Solon vs Cleve Hts at 6:00 Wed.

Last edited:

In its two sectional games, Solon has outscored its Senate opponents, 162-78. I guess its now safe to say that the Comets are over their midseason slump.

Solon put this one away by scoring the first 14 points of the third period. JFK's helter-skelter style gave Solon trouble early on. The Comets trailed through most of the first period. The Eagles grabbed, pushed, tripped and succeeded in keeping Solon from getting into a rhythm. JFK also shot very well from the outside in the first half.

But Solon just had too much Dallas, too much Nne, and too much team defense. Dallas had 16 and his defense shut off everything inside the paint. In the third period, Lauderdale keyed the 14-0 start by finishing off fast breaks with two highlight-reel scores on consecutive possessions. Dallas didn't tally a point after that, but he didn't need to.

Nne Lewis might have played his best game as a Comet. He led all scorers with 28 points, made great passes and played great halfcourt defense. The real story of this game wasn't so much Dallas as it was the dominance of Solon's guards over Kennedy's. Nne, Bink Burns, Akeem Owens and Arsenio Brown forced turnovers all night long. Kennedy had several stretches in which they had difficulty getting off shots. Solon's guards stripped the ball before the Eagles could get it past the key. Akeem was especially outstanding, and chipped in with eight points. Bink only scored six points, but keyed the offense with his passing.

Once Solon made its third quarter run, Kennedy seemed to wilt. The Comets played harder than JFK, and weren't intimidated by the Eagles' physical style. Solon made 23 free throws tonight. That's got to be a season high. The Comets also made nine 3-pointers. Twelve different players scored for Solon.

The only complaint about tonight's game was the poor organization by host Warrensville. The gym is too small, the lines are too long, and most fans had to race to get to their seats in time for the start of the game. The presence of so many SWAT troops is more intimidating than reassuring. I actually missed Cleveland South and got downright misty-eyed for Baldwin-Wallace.

Last edited:
Thanks Meta, nice wrap. SolonAAA was so excited he called me when 12 of that 14 point run was on the board. Hope the team handles the tough play when it gets even tougher.

As far as an east-side site, too bad there isn't a State College or University nearby; tax payers could actually see their taxes at work. The B-W's and J-C's of the area don't like the small pittance for these events. Would cost a ten-spot at least to satisfy a private school. You should post your comments about the SWAT units on a Toledo site where more security is needed at Regionals.

I'm excited about both Comet basketball & wrestling this weekend! Don't forget, Bedford was wrestling state champ my senior year! State tournament was at Lakewood High (Cuyahoga County was the birthplace of wrestling in Ohio; small town schools did not have it as a sport)

Oh boy and having to leave your seat and exit the bldg., and go outside, and stand in line that didn't move, for 30 minutes or so, EVEN if you already had purchased tickets for second game, yeccchh! Not the best site for districts.

But, thank you Comets! You really played well after the slow start. Meta summary hit the highlights. Nne had great game, as Comets are getting better each game. Keep making those foul shots, and hit those boards, as Cleveland Heights is next.

Thanks Meta, nice wrap. SolonAAA was so excited he called me when 12 of that 14 point run was on the board. Hope the team handles the tough play when it gets even tougher.

As far as an east-side site, too bad there isn't a State College or University nearby; tax payers could actually see their taxes at work. The B-W's and J-C's of the area don't like the small pittance for these events. Would cost a ten-spot at least to satisfy a private school. You should post your comments about the SWAT units on a Toledo site where more security is needed at Regionals.

I'm excited about both Comet basketball & wrestling this weekend! Don't forget, Bedford was wrestling state champ my senior year! State tournament was at Lakewood High (Cuyahoga County was the birthplace of wrestling in Ohio; small town schools did not have it as a sport)

Last year at this time, the word was that the Cleveland South district would be moving to Cleveland State. It seemed like a good idea; everyone seemed to be in favor of it. I don't know what sort of political skulduggery took place to get the tourney moved to Warrensville. But it's the worst site I've ever been to. It's way, way too small for the crowds and administrators need to come up with some kind of system for moving people along faster.

A lot of people bought tickets for both of last night's games. Fans of the first game were given red stamps; the second game, blue. Instead of clearing absolutely everybody from the gym between games, the fans could have been stamped for both games beforehand, and should have been allowed to stay in their seats.

Fans were directed to a long corridor, to wait until everybody was out of the gym after the first game. There, they tangled with the people who were just arriving to buy tickets for the second game. There were no organized lines; just a glut of people. And the metal detectors really slowed re-entry.

Here's a clue to the OHSAA: Any gym that is such a security risk that fans must clear metal detectors to enter, should not host tournament games. Twinsburg, Nordonia, Maple Heights have bigger, nicer, newer gyms. I watched statewide highlights on ONN, and I saw that many games around the state were played in arenas, like the Columbus Fairgrounds. Why can't Cleveland have a setup like that? If Cleveland State isn't available, what about Public Hall? It's a huge facility, and it doesn't get much use.

Last edited:
Yes, part of the answer is political but for the private universities, it is the small fee that OHSAA will pay. And I do remember that South High was given a political favor last year and CSU was to be the sight this time. I've lived in PA, MN and NC but NE Ohio seems to do it the worst. Why do you guys put up with it? The Postal Service used to deliver my Solon Times paper in 7-9 (calendar)days. It took some phone calls, a meeting and many emails but now it comes in 4-6 days.

No such thing Hurricane as a line at the Joel this afternoon. Well, except if you count the long line at Little Richard's barbeque stand. All those orange shirted friends of Thomas Jefferson were in town and snapped up barbeque and the unwanted tickets to make a good crowd. After all, Wake Forest was 4-11 and tied for last with South Beach while the Virginia Cavaliers were 11-4, playing for sole possession of first place and first seed in the ACC Tourney.

So with sandwich in hand, I stood when the lights went out and with speakers blaring that rythmic music with reverb or whatever going, and the Tie-Dye Nation in a scream at the far end, that familiiar loud roar from the bowls of the arena carried out and above all the din and then suddenly, onto the floor in the bright spotlight rides the Demon Deacon aboard his motorcycle with exhaust pipes blaring, lights flashing and TV cameras rolling. We did sit for a while but the battle was so intense, fouls called so close, score wavering back and forth, orange howling for every shot and yellow/black tie-dyed screaming for every rebound until after 2-3/4 hours the Deacons finally prevailed in the upset of the year to send off our two seniors with a win and a Virginia team hoping for three other teams to lose on Sunday (It'll never happen Cavs). And then the sad news on the car radio that the South Beach team did lose albeit in OT against another FL team from the state capital. Alas, there will be no tie for last place.What a day!!! What a week!!! And my favorite week is just about to start. Don't bother me Thursday or Friday.