Solon Comets freshman football 2011

Metacomet

Solon's freshman team scrimmaged Maple Heights at Stewart Field this morning. The young Comets looked good, scoring two TDs and holding Maple's frosh to negative yardage. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the Mustangs didn't have one positive yardage play on offense.

I'm not sure if Solon's defensive dominance was because the Comets were that good, or Maple was just that bad. The Mustangs lined up in a shotgun on every play and had great difficulty snapping the ball with any accuracy. On most plays, Solon merely had to chase down the loose ball.

The Comets moved the ball efficiently. Solon scored on a swing pass from QB Matt Laubscher to RB Braxton Alexander that covered about 45 yards.

Solon's second TD came on a swing pass of about seven yards from QB Ryan Gallagher to RB Richmond Warren.

This group of Comets were a .500-ish team as eighth graders. I was told that the team struggled in 2010 because of a rash of injuries and also because a lot of kids were moved from position to position, which affected continuity.

The parents with whom I spoke today promised a better season in 2011.:)

Solon's frosh appear to have three nice tailbacks; Warren, Alexander and Andrew Huff. QBs Laubscher and Gallagher looked pretty good, but neither got to demonstrate arm strength. Short passing was the rule today.

The lines aren't real big. A couple of kids look to have decent growth potential, so there's hope.

Once again, a lot of athletic WR-DB types with speed. Linebackers look good and athletic.

The two kids who stood out the most were #3, TE-LB Tyree Seals and #80, T-DE Gage Golic. Golic is the son of former Cleveland Brown Bob Golic. WR-DB John Sensibaugh also looked good. He's the grandson of Ohio State great and KC Chiefs' all-pro Mike Sensibaugh.

Here is Solon's freshman roster:

2- Matt Laubscher, 5-7, 155, QB/DB
3- Tyree Seals, 6-0, 180, TE/LB
7-Drew Fox, 5-6, 132, WR/QB/DB
8- Trevor Hamm, 5-7, 133, WR/DB
10- Ryan Gallagher, 5-10, 160, QB/WR/DB
11- Steven Slagle, 5-4, 110, WR/DB
12- Devin Monaco, 5-7, 140, WR/DB
18- Nick Parfejewiec, 5-8, 128, WR/DB
20- John Sensibaugh, 5-10, 160, WR/DB
21- Ethan Hoffner, 5-4, 154, WR/DB
23- Dvon Davis, 5-9, 135, RB/DB
24- Michael Jeffrey, 5-4, 120, WR/DB
25- Nick Restifo, 5-6, 125, WR/DB
28- Richmond Warren, 5-5, 145, RB/DB
31- Braxton Alexander, 5-6, 165, RB/LB
33- Mario Caito, 5-5, 123, WR/DB
36- Andrew Huff, 5-10, 170, RB/LB
40- Jason Uncapher, 5-7, 155, OL/DL
43- Alex Brown, 5-9, 165, FB/LB
52- Brandon Haughton, 5-9, 185, OL/DL
53- Mason Baty, 5-5, 160, OL/DL
54- Sam Low, 5-7, 155, OL/DL
55- Mark Finklestein, 6-0, 173, OL/DL
56- Lashawn Finney, 5-5, 153, OL/DL
60- Bryan Karn, 5-5, 160, OL/DL
64- Javon Morehouse, 5-11, 187, OL/DL
67- Joe Rinicella, 5-9, 160, OL/DL
71- Turner Badowski, 5-9, 175, OL/DL
72- Logan O'Keefe, 5-10, 175, OL/DL
73- Nick Gatanas, 5-11, 190, OL/DL
80- Gage Golic, 6-1, 190, OL/DL
81- Chris Felts, 5-10, 138, WR/DB
82- Kevin Gersey, 5-8, 138, TE/DL
83- Warren Wilson, 5-7, 136, WR/DB
84- Nathan Wickham, 5-6, 115, WR/DB
88- Charlie Ellis, 6-0, 170, TE/DL

Last edited:

Here is Solon's 2011 freshman schedule:

Aug. 25- Shaker Heights; 4:30 p.m.
Sept. 1- Padua; 4:30 p.m.
Sept. 8- @ Buchtel; 5 p.m.
Sept. 15- @ North Royalton; 4:30 p.m.
Sept. 21- Normandy; 4:30 p.m.
Sept. 28- Medina; 4 p.m.
Oct. 5- @ Mentor; 4:30 p.m.
Oct. 13- Twinsburg; 4:30 p.m.
Oct. 20- @ Brunswick; 4:30 p.m.
Oct. 27- @ Strongsville; 4:30 p.m.

very intersesting squad

Great post Meta; you wrote what you saw, what you heard and what you knew.

Hope weekly reports on the Frosh can be available here.

Hey, folks!! I started a new job this week and it seems that my schedule won't allow me to attend freshman games this year. Is anyone availabe to write a report of each week's game, or at least publish each game's score?

Any parents out there willing to help? Or a student?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bummers!

Bummers! I always look forward to some freshman pieces by Meta; it's the first time we really get to hear names that will eventually become familiar in a few years on the varsity roster.

On the other hand, we do need him working and contributing to Social Security.

Solon Freshman win over Shaker

I did see the freshman game last week, against Shaker Heights and the Comets won 36-0. I was really impressed with the QB play of Ryan Gallagher. The QB that played the last two years for this class transferred to St. Eds and Ryan really played solid in his 1st start. I can't remember all of the scores because I wasn't planning on reporting. But there were two very impressive TD's. The 1st score of the game was a long run by TB Andrew Huff (hard runner - good speed) that was opened up by great blocks by Tyree Seals and John Sensibaugh. Huff saw the gap and fired through going 50 plus yards. Throughout the 1st half FB Sensibaugh was called on for the tough yardage and he is difficult for one man to bring down. Gallagher then hooked up with big TE Charlie Ellis for a TD in the corner of the end zone. The catch was closely guarded and one that had to be wrestled away from the defender. Ellis had the size advantage on the DB and Gallagher got some air under the throw. Ellis and Seals were popular targets for Gallagher throughout the game, I bellieve Seals had two 2 point conversion catches. The defense was outstanding with several key players going two ways. Sensibaugh, Huff and Alex Brown were solid at LB and Drew Fox had an early pass break up at midfield that could have kept a Shaker drive going. Gallagher, Ellis and Seals rotated on the defensive line throughout the game and played solid along with Braxton Alexander and Gage Golic. Alexander is scrappy and plays much bigger then his size. The other 4 are all around 6' with good strength and speed. Seals is a crazy pass rusher while Ellis and Golic plug gaps and are tough to move. Several times OLB Brown blitzed behind the DE's and got to the QB in a hurry causing Shaker a lot of problems. The secondary was not tested that often, but their run support was outstanding. DB's Steven Slagle and Fox were involved in several tackles and each had one on one stops in the first half.

This game was a mis-match and the schedule only gets tougher with a home game against Padua this Thursday and then on the road to Akron Buchtel the following week. I will try to pay closer attention to the scoring and key plays and let everyone know how the 9th-Comets do against Padua.

Great job. Thank you. I'll try to get out and see some games but I don't know if my schedule will allow me. I know that I won't make it to the Padua game.

Freshman Comets Win 22-0 over Padua

The Solon freshman team extended their shutout streak to 8 quarters as they beat Padua 22-0. The score was only 6-0 at half as the Comets missed several opportunities to score including at the end of the 1st half. On 4th and goal from the 1/2 yard line, Andrew Huff was stuffed at the line. The first TD cam in the 1st qtr and was an 8 yard pass from QB Ryan Gallagher to TE Tyree Seals. There were at least 2 other trips inside the Padua 20 that did not lead to scores. Solon held Paua and forced a punt to start the 2nd half. After two strong runs by FB John Sensibaugh got the Comets inside the 20 again, another TD toss from Gallagher to Seals on a bootleg pushed the score to 12-0, the 2 pt conversion was a quick out pass to Seals to make it 14-0. Every time Padua looked to be starting a drive the Comets would pick off a pass. DB Trevor Hamm picked off two and DB Warren Richmond picked off one; but the game changer was an INT made on a screen play by Seals. The QB tried to throw to the RB on a screen, DE Seals read it and pulled the ball out of the air with one hand. He then ran downfield for a 33 yard pick 6 giving Solon the 3 TD lead. Again, Braxton Alexander played a good game defensively making several key solo tackles and he and DE Charlie Ellis teamed up for a blocked punt in the 3rd quarter. Alex Brown also continued his blitzing success forcing several early throws and sacking the QB for an 18 yard loss on a key 3rd down at midfield. I was also very impressed with the 2nd team defense preserving the shutout when Padua had the ball first and goal on the 5 yard line and they kept them out on 4 consecutive plays.

Next week the Comets freshman head to Akron Buchtel which is expected to be a tough match-up.

Great writeup, JCU. I hope I can catch this team action this year.

I do have one request. Could you please break your stories off into paragraphs? That huge block of letters and words is tough on the eyes and difficult to read. Thank you.

Last edited:
Freshman Lose to Buchtel 22-0

Tough night for the Freshman Comets. What started out as a good physical game; turned into a couple of big plays and game over.

The defense pushed Buchtel back on the 1st few drives holding them to at least -15 yards of offense. Then the first big play on 3rd and 19 from the Buchtel 20 caught us in a cover 2 and the safety was out of position. Wide Receiver caught a 15 yard pass and ran the rest of the way untouched.

It stayed 6-0 into the 3rd quarter when the Buchetel kick-off was deep and near the sideline. It was finally fielded at the 5 and we were tackled immediately. Three plays later QB Ryan Gallager was sacked in the endzone for a safety to move the score to 8-0.

On the free kick, Buchtel returned it for a TD and all of a sudden the score is 14-0.

Solon's offense struggled with penalties in the 1st half and could not sustain a drive in the 2nd half. Although Alex Brown and John Sensibaugh did have some success with several 4-5 yard quick hitters.

Buchtel scored the final TD with under 2 minutes to go and converted the 2 point conversion for a final of 22-0.

Again, the defense played well and it should be mentioned that Braxton Alexander, Tryee Seals and Alex Brown hit hard and made plays.

The Comets look to rebound next week at North Royalton.

Comets 36-0 over N Royalton

The Solon Freshman picked themselves up after a tough outing last week getting back to strong defense and a good mix of run and pass offensively.

The Comets scored on their first 2 posessions with a double Tight End formation and a punishing ground game. FB John Sensibaugh had several 5+ yard runs druing these drives and scored from inside the 5 on both occassions.

The 2nd TD Sensibaugh carried 3-4 tacklers into the end zone. TE Charlie Ellis caught a screen pass for the 2 point conversion. QB Ryan Gallagher did a nice job of selling the play to the right where he had 3 receivers, but threw back to his left for the score.

Gallagher hit TE Tyree Seals for a 17 yard TD late in the 1st half to put the Comets up 20-0 at the half.

The Comets got the ball 1st in the 2nd half and Richmond Warren took an inside handoff on a reverse-counter and hustled 75 yards for the score. TB Andrew Huff punched in the 2 point conversion pushing the score to 28-0.

TB Braxton Alexander put the final TD with a 1 yard dive. The play was set up by a 26 yd run by Huff putting it on the 1. Sensibaugh rounded out the scoring with a 2 point catch to put the Comets up 36-0.

Defensive Standouts were Seals with 3 sacks and a fumble recovery, Trevor Hamm with 2 interceptions and LB's Alex Brown, Warren, Alexander and Sensibaugh were a force.

Hats off also to the O-line. Rotating in throughout the game were: Mason Baty, Gage Golic, Bryan Karn, Sam Low, Joe Rinicella, Ellis, Seals, Brown. They absolutely manhandled the North Royalton front 7 getting 3 yard push down field on every play.

Comets move to 3-1 and take on Normandy next Wednesday at Home for a 4:30 kick-off at Stewart Field.

Normandy Frosh Forfeit to Comets

Unfortunately for the Comets Freshman team, the Normandy Invaders forfeited this weeks game. The claim is that they did not have enough players, the truth is that they had 16 but did not want to play Solon because of previous defeats to opponents that Solon beat by 25+ points.

My opinion is that if you can't field a freshman team maybe you shouldn't be in the NOC. You should certainly know if you can't field a team prior to the day before the scheduled game!

Officailly the Comets freshman team is now 4-1 and will face Medina at home next Wednesday...hopefully.

Solon's freshman team scrimmaged Maple Heights at Stewart Field this morning. The young Comets looked good, scoring two TDs and holding Maple's frosh to negative yardage. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the Mustangs didn't have one positive yardage play on offense.

I'm not sure if Solon's defensive dominance was because the Comets were that good, or Maple was just that bad. The Mustangs lined up in a shotgun on every play and had great difficulty snapping the ball with any accuracy. On most plays, Solon merely had to chase down the loose ball.

The Comets moved the ball efficiently. Solon scored on a swing pass from QB Matt Laubscher to RB Braxton Alexander that covered about 45 yards.

Solon's second TD came on a swing pass of about seven yards from QB Ryan Gallagher to RB Richmond Warren.

This group of Comets were a .500-ish team as eighth graders. I was told that the team struggled in 2010 because of a rash of injuries and also because a lot of kids were moved from position to position, which affected continuity.

The parents with whom I spoke today promised a better season in 2011.:)

Solon's frosh appear to have three nice tailbacks; Warren, Alexander and Andrew Huff. QBs Laubscher and Gallagher looked pretty good, but neither got to demonstrate arm strength. Short passing was the rule today.

The lines aren't real big. A couple of kids look to have decent growth potential, so there's hope.

Once again, a lot of athletic WR-DB types with speed. Linebackers look good and athletic.

The two kids who stood out the most were #3, TE-LB Tyree Seals and #80, T-DE Gage Golic. Golic is the son of former Cleveland Brown Bob Golic. WR-DB John Sensibaugh also looked good. He's the grandson of Ohio State great and KC Chiefs' all-pro Mike Sensibaugh.

Here is Solon's freshman roster:

2- Matt Laubscher, 5-7, 155, QB/DB
3- Tyree Seals, 6-0, 180, TE/LB
7-Drew Fox, 5-6, 132, WR/QB/DB
8- Trevor Hamm, 5-7, 133, WR/DB
10- Ryan Gallagher, 5-10, 160, QB/WR/DB
11- Steven Slagle, 5-4, 110, WR/DB
12- Devin Monaco, 5-7, 140, WR/DB
18- Nick Parfejewiec, 5-8, 128, WR/DB
20- John Sensibaugh, 5-10, 160, WR/DB
21- Ethan Hoffner, 5-4, 154, WR/DB
23- Dvon Davis, 5-9, 135, RB/DB
24- Michael Jeffrey, 5-4, 120, WR/DB
25- Nick Restifo, 5-6, 125, WR/DB
28- Richmond Warren, 5-5, 145, RB/DB
31- Braxton Alexander, 5-6, 165, RB/LB
33- Mario Caito, 5-5, 123, WR/DB
36- Andrew Huff, 5-10, 170, RB/LB
40- Jason Uncapher, 5-7, 155, OL/DL
43- Alex Brown, 5-9, 165, FB/LB
52- Brandon Haughton, 5-9, 185, OL/DL
53- Mason Baty, 5-5, 160, OL/DL
54- Sam Low, 5-7, 155, OL/DL
55- Mark Finklestein, 6-0, 173, OL/DL
56- Lashawn Finney, 5-5, 153, OL/DL
60- Bryan Karn, 5-5, 160, OL/DL
64- Javon Morehouse, 5-11, 187, OL/DL
67- Joe Rinicella, 5-9, 160, OL/DL
71- Turner Badowski, 5-9, 175, OL/DL
72- Logan O'Keefe, 5-10, 175, OL/DL
73- Nick Gatanas, 5-11, 190, OL/DL
80- Gage Golic, 6-1, 190, OL/DL
81- Chris Felts, 5-10, 138, WR/DB
82- Kevin Gersey, 5-8, 138, TE/DL
83- Warren Wilson, 5-7, 136, WR/DB
84- Nathan Wickham, 5-6, 115, WR/DB
88- Charlie Ellis, 6-0, 170, TE/DL

Wow there are 7th grade teams bigger than that!

Solon Freshman Over Medina 26-0

The Freshman Comets picked up where they left off posting their 5th shutout in 6 games. The scoring started with a sustained drive that ended with a nice 7 yard counter play to TB Andrew Huff with a great block from WR Drew Fox. Fox followed that play up with a a 2 point conversion catch on a slant pass from QB Ryan Gallagher giving the Comets an 8-0 lead.

After holding Medina on two consecutive series, Solon drove the ball into the red zone with time running out in the 1st half. Gallagher rolled right and hit FB John Senisbaugh in the endzone for a 19 yard TD pass. The ball was thrown well, but Sensibaugh had to wrestle it away from the Medina Safety to make the catch. A screen play to Sensibaugh on 3rd down set up the score with strong downfield blocking by TE Charlie Ellis and Tackle Alex Brown. The conversion failed but the Comets were up 14-0 at the half.

The 3rd quarter opened with the Comets getting the ball and driving to midfield with multiple trap plays, but on 1st and 10 from Medina's 46 yard line, Gallagher hit TE Tyree Seals for a 46 yard TD pass over the middle with Seals breaking two tackles on his way to the endzone giving Solon a 20-0 lead.

The defense was tested with Medina opening up their passing attack, but consistent pressure on the QB by DE's Seals and Ellis, each getting a pass deflection and DT's Brandon Haughton and Bryan Karn pushing back the pocket, they had very few completions. Interceptions by DB's Steven Slagle and Trevor Hamm stopped drives that moved into Solon territory.

Following Slagle's interception near midfield, the Comets ground out a 45 yard drive ending with a 7 yard sweep with TB Braxton Alexander carrying it across making the final score Solon 26 Medina 0.

The Freshman Comets move to 5-1 and will go on the road next week to face an always tough Mentor squad. The game is Wednesday October 5th at 4:30.

Great Improvement

Have you ever seen such a quick & marvelous improvement. Such form! I mean the spacing, the layout, the action is all there. It is much easier to follow this play.

No not the Comet team, the presentation by JCU.

Multi-paragraphs replace a single one. A description of a TD followed by the key play preceding. It's all good. Thank's for a nice & improved report JCU.

Gramps :thumb:

P.S. Congrats to the Freshman guys....at Solon! :clap:

Solon crushed by Mentor

Sorry but I couldn't attend the game tonight; work comes first sometime! I did speak to a parent and heard that 3 - 1st half fumbles and a failed 4th down in the 1st half lead to a 24-2 halftime deficit.

I was also told that Solon's defense appeared to be mis-aligned on several occassions. Mentor ran 3 receivers on one side and Solon only had two defenders to cover. A couple of times they ran a 4th player in motion to the same side and it was 4 on 2.

I think the final was 44-10.

Hopefully the Comets can re-group and figure things out for their home rival game against Twinsburg next Thursday October 13th, 4:30 at Stewart Field.

Freshman Comets Beat Twinsburg 18-6

The Solon Freshman team looked to bounce back from against Twinsburg tonight. They moved the ball effectiviely throughout the 1st half but turned over on downs inside the 20 on the 1st drive.

Twinsburg struck first with a 52 yard post for a TD in the 2nd quarter.

Solon marched right down the field and on a key 4th and 8 from the 16, TB Braxton Alexander caught a screen pass from QB Ryan Gallagher and out ran 2 Twinsburg defenders to the 1st down marker. Two plays later Gallagher hit TE Tyree Seals for an 8 yard TD pass over the middle pulling Solon to a 6-6 tie.

Twinsburg pushed the ball down to the Solon 23 when on 4th down DB Treveor Hamm broke up a pass and the Comets took over with 2 minutes to go.

Gallagher hit WR Mario Caito for a 44 yard pass on a play action play that caught Twinsburg out of position. 3 plays later Gallagher rolled right and hit Seals for their 2nd TD pass giving Solon a 12-6 halftime lead.

In the 3rd quarter Solon had a 3rd down and 6 near mid-field. Gallagher rolled right again while 2 receivers flooded the right side. He stopped short on the roll out and hit TE Charlie Ellis on a delayed route to the opposite side. Ellis caught it and advanced the ball to the 6 yard line before being pushed out bounds for a 48 yard gain. 2 plays later John Sensibaugh carried it in from 2 yards out. Solon went up 18-6 late in the 3rd qtr.

The Solon Defense held strong on the next drive with key tackles by LB's Alex Brown, Sensibaugh and Alexander. When Solon got the ball back they managed the clock and kept drives alive with several FB traps going for 10 -15 yards with Brown and Sensibaugh carrying the ball.

With an 18-6 lead and the ball on Twinsburg's 17 yard line the 2nd team offense got an opportunity to play. A turnover on downs resulted in Twinsburg getting the ball with under a minute to go and the Solon Defense didn't give up a yard as the clock expired.

Solon 18 Twinsburg 6

With the win the Comets move to 6-2 on the year. Up next for the Freshman is a trip to Brunswick on Thursday the 20th for a 4:30 kick-off.

Solon Frosh lose 20-6

I did attend the game last night, but I sat in my car near the endzone because the weather was just horrible.

The game was close (13-6) until a 4th quarter 50+ yard score by Brunswick. Unfortunately, Solon got caught with the same play for all 3 scores and they were all in excess of 40 yards. With several injuries on the Defensive side of the ball they had to shake up their Defensive Line.

They moved LB Braxton Alexander to Defensive End and DE Charlie Ellis to Tackle. With these changes Solon did a lot of stunting and blitzing which held Brunswick most of the game. Tackle Bryan Karn was in on a lot of tackles with the LB's. But, with any game of chance you can get caught!

Solon took an early 6-0 lead when they took the 1st punt of the game and scored on 6 plays. The majority of the yards were FB John Sensibaugh running left behind G Mason Baty, T Alex Brown and TE Charlie Ellis.

The final 15 yards came with a play running right to where I was parked! A huge hole was opened again on the left side and Sensibaugh cleaned up the LB so TB Andrew Hoff could get to the endzone.

Brunswick's defense adjusted and they put 8-9 men in the box the rest of the game. Solon's passing attack that has been so good this season couldn't get on track. It seemed like every time we had someone open, the pass was hurried due to pass rush and just missed, or the ball was dropped.

Brunswick's passing game was as ineffective as Solon's mostly due to the high winds and sideways rain! The majority of the plays were running plays and it was very tough for Solon with Brunswick loading the box.

Due to a hand injury to QB Ryan Gallagher (hopefully minor) Back-up QB Matt Laubscher got most of the 4th quarter. I thought he did very well in executing the offense in tough conditions and getting a few 1st downs.

Solon moves to 6-3 and will look to win their last game of the season at Strongsville. It is Thursday Oct 27th at 4:30.