Solon BB Coach Resigns

Unfortunetly it has not been announced. I have been waiting for it to be released. This is from a reliable source. Very reliable.

Confirmed by AD

Has anyone heard of possible replacements??

Sean Fisher has done a great job over the past several years for Solon Basketball.
He's a fantastic person and teacher for the students and overall Solon School District!

I am sure Mark McGuire will do an extensive search throughout the NEO area. There are many good Assistant coaches in NEO and I am sure many would be interested to join in Solon and look at rebuilding the Basketball program in Solon.

We have a lot of talent and more talent moving in for academic and athletic reasons.

A great opportunitiy for someone.

I think he did an adequate job. Unfortunetly they under-performed with all the talent they had. Need a proven head coach that can take this team to the next level. Not some asst.

Last edited:
Solon replacement

If one of the Asstistant Coaches does not get the position (that could aslo be the case, due to funding cuts, have an existing teacher in place), I've heard
Beachwood, Benedictine, Euclid, or Madison coaches all would be possible great fits into the program. I also believe they are all or were head coaches.

I posted my comments on the boys basketball forum, I didn't know it was up on here also. But I certainly thank Sean for how he treated me, even with my delusions of grandeur that I was the head coach. ;)

Following Todd Van Reeth and the Lauderdale Era would have been tough on any 1st time head coach. I mean, how many regular season games did they lose in that period? A few in Dallas's freshman year?

Coach Fisher is a wonderful person, and I wish he and his family nothing but the best.

i dont think anyone is interested in retreads

Allow me to weigh in on some points raised in this thread:

First, to refer to Guilfoyle and Van Reeth as "retreads" is irresponsible and it reeks of immaturity. Both men were highly successful at Solon, including years when they didn't have the help of such players as Drew Carter and Dallas Lauderdale. Van Reeth took another school (Philo) to a state championship game.

Solon could (and has) done a lot worse than Guilfoyle and Van Reeth.

However, it would be short-sighted to focus only on candidates already in the school system. Solon's administrators must remember that they represent one of the best schools systems in the state. They must keep in mind that Solon basketball has a long tradition of success. This is a desirable job. Solon should be able to attract a long list of quality candidates.

I will agree with StowInThe Know on one thing: Solon needs to hire a proven, winning coach. Bring in a guy with a track record of success. Someone who has organized a program from the high school level on down to the middle school level, and has been successful doing it.

Hiring an assistant would be a mistake. Solon must hire a coach who has experience building a winning program; not one who requires on-the-job-training.

Best of luck to Coach Fisher in the future.

Last edited:
Meta,
I apoligize and agree that retread not a good term. This is a great coaching job but not as desireable without a teaching position linked to it. The new coach needs to build a program from the middle school level up. Consistency throughout the program so when the kids get to HS they know what to expect. I agree with you on that. i personally think it needs to be an outsider. Get rid of all the politics. This is a confirmed resignation just not announced.

Plain Dealer had the story of Sean leaving last Wed. Budget cuts may hamper Solon from getting a new coach from outside. We will be lucky to keep ours.

Meta,
I apoligize and agree that retread not a good term. This is a great coaching job but not as desireable without a teaching position linked to it. The new coach needs to build a program from the middle school level up. Consistency throughout the program so when the kids get to HS they know what to expect. I agree with you on that. i personally think it needs to be an outsider. Get rid of all the politics. This is a confirmed resignation just not announced.

Fair enough, StowInTheKnow. I'm not close enough to the basketball team to know the nature of the internal politics around the program, so I'll have to take your word on it.

I didn't really consider the possible budget cuts in my earlier post. You and Hurri did. And you're both right. Financial restrictions will probably limit Solon's coaching search to some degree.

The job has been offered to a great coach. Can't spill the beans yet as there are some logistical things that need worked out. Outsider. Smart as hell. This will be very good for the Comets

I went to H.S. with Bruce

Bruce Pearl?

That's funny Hurri, I went to Sharon (Mass.) high school with Bruce back in the late 70s. Actually dated his sister for a very little while.

Bruce is a great guy and I am sure even if he doesn't get the Solon H.S. varsity position (LOL), he'll land on his feet next year at a big time school.

OK I'll just wait. We have plenty of ball handlers and some good shot makers, but oh boy do we need some height to move in for next season.

I can't say whether Bobby Patton is the new Solon BB coach but the head coach at Westlake H.S. is named Bob Patton. He's neem there about 5 years. He previously coached at Kenston.

From a press release I found when he was hired at Westlake: "Patton brings with him a tremendous wealth of knowledge, as his father Bob Patton Sr. coached at Lakewood, and at Youngstown Liberty, where he still holds the longest winning streak in the state of Ohio. During his high school career he was named All-Ohio, and Mr. Basketball for Ohio."

If Bob Patton is Bobby Patton then it looks like Solon may have found a pretty good coach.

Meta: Sorry if I wasn't informative enough, thought people knew Coach Patton. As Demo said, he was head coach at Kenston and has now been at Westlake for several years. He's a solid coach and will do a nice job. Will be interesting, however, because I can't imagine that there is a teaching position open for him in lieu of all the cuts. Would be a tough commute each day if he was still teaching at Westlake and coaching in Solon. Regardless, best of luck to him and the Comets.

The name didn't ring a bell at first but yes, I do remember Bobby Patton now. He had some real good teams at Kenston a few years back. Wasn't he also the coach of Benedictine at one time, or was that his father? I seem to recall that a Patton had some success with the Bennies.

Thanks for the info, demo and catfan. :)

Bob Patton, wow! Great hire! I certainly remember the games he coached Kenston vs. Solon. And his record in the CVC. We had some real battles and barnburners against the Bombers over the years. Even during the Lauderdale Era. In 1999, Solon had some great games vs. Kenston also, and that Comet team had Drew Carter, Aron Weston, Button, et al. Went all the way to getting knocked off by Shaker Hts. in the regional final @ South. Kenston had a great lefty guard that season as I remember. I think he went to Georgetown, but my memory isn't what it was then.

Go Comets! Now if only Kenston's Truog and Cumpstone , 6'10" and 6'5", will transfer here. :rolleyes: