Six Flags, Cedar Fair merge to form $8 billion company in major amusement park deal

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Amusement park companies Cedar Fair and Six Flags Entertainment Corporation announced Thursday they will merge into a combined company worth around $8 billion.

The merger will make the new company a "leading amusement park operator in the highly competitive leisure space," according to a release from Cedar Fair.

The new combined company will be one of the largest in the theme park businesses in North America. Together, Cedar Fair and Six Flags currently control 27 amusement parks, 15 water parks and nine resort properties in 17 states spread across the U.S. and in Canada and Mexico.

Pre-qualification: I love rollercoasters and also for many other reasons consider Cedar Point one of the greatest places on earth.

I've visited many other amusement parks but only two Six Flags parks and neither of the latter was anything to write home about. Will Cedar Fair have the resources remaining after the $8B purchase to bring the Six Flags parks (forget water parks at the moment) even just to 80% of what they have in Sandusky?

Maybe they don't have to...I suppose since the population is obviously spread out and only a small percentage of people near NW Ohio, they may not need to do too much to keep people happy near the other parks around the country. Those people don't know what they may be missing. Therefore, part of the marketing plan might be keeping the largest part of their customer base away from Cedar Point to avoid "envy sadness." 😂

I had visited Geauga Lake many times growing up and enjoyed myself. However, as an adult, if I were taking a whole day and spending money at an amusement park, I certainly wasn't going to go to GL opposed to CP. There was just no comparison.

Pre-qualification: I love rollercoasters and also for many other reasons consider Cedar Point one of the greatest places on earth.

I've visited many other amusement parks but only two Six Flags parks and neither of the latter was anything to write home about. Will Cedar Fair have the resources remaining after the $8B purchase to bring the Six Flags parks (forget water parks at the moment) even just to 80% of what they have in Sandusky?

Maybe they don't have to...I suppose since the population is obviously spread out and only a small percentage of people near NW Ohio, they may not need to do too much to keep people happy near the other parks around the country. Those people don't know what they may be missing. Therefore, part of the marketing plan might be keeping the largest part of their customer base away from Cedar Point to avoid "envy sadness." 😂

I had visited Geauga Lake many times growing up and enjoyed myself. However, as an adult, if I were taking a whole day and spending money at an amusement park, I certainly wasn't going to go to GL opposed to CP. There was just no comparison.

It was nice when Sea World and Geauga Lake were a stones throw from each other

The more corporate the theme parks get the less charm they have.

Sure, they have the resources to build bigger coasters but they don't know how to use them