School Levy's and property taxes.

Do you know how much money it takes to run a school? I don't either but it's alot. And like I said in an earlier post, it's and endless ask.
Do you know how many kids would be better served by a few great teachers and a lot of AI own-pace learning ? Dumping BS social indoctrination and one hell of a lot of salary .....and future pension obligations ?

Last edited:
Something around 85-90% is salaries, and most of that stays in the community and is spent there, isn't it?
I don't know..is it? Everyone live in the district? No..they don't.

But there lies the problem....we have the highest paid teachers in the county.

Good old boys network will get ya that when a good portion of the teachers graduated from coldwater.

Since the Super graduated from Coldwater....it's become 10 times worse.

I'm on board with the administrators making too much but not sure I can agree on teachers. Although, for fairness, it should be noted that most administrators work 11ish months of the year.
I've often said today, one of the best work skills you can have is the ability to manage and motivate staff. Your administrator / managers MUST be compensated well. Most people do not want to manage others because in general, they are pains in the butt. Teachers especially tough because they union protected. Teacher's contracts are rigid and negotiated to levels based on time teaching, very little to do with what kind of teacher they are.

I've often said today, one of the best work skills you can have is the ability to manage and motivate staff. Your administrator / managers MUST be compensated well. Most people do not want to manage others because in general, they are pains in the butt. Teachers especially tough because they union protected. Teacher's contracts are rigid and negotiated to levels based on time teaching, very little to do with what kind of teacher they are.
I'm not necessarily against Admin being compensated well. Its more the fact that when money is tight the district goes begging to the teacher's union and the admin never take a pay cut. I remember our teacher's union agreeing to a pay freeze and unpaid furlough days to try to help the district get through a difficult financial time. The admin each got pay raises within months.

I'm not necessarily against Admin being compensated well. Its more the fact that when money is tight the district goes begging to the teacher's union and the admin never take a pay cut. I remember our teacher's union agreeing to a pay freeze and unpaid furlough days to try to help the district get through a difficult financial time. The admin each got pay raises within months.
Admins are not union and can negotiate individually. Imagine a system where teachers could negotiate individually, the BEST teachers would likely make more, and you could easily move on from poor ones and not just drag them along because in the union. Again, the admin has to manage the staff, like I said a very underestimated skill these days.

Two days ago...fourth graders went out and put "thank you cards" on the car windows of workers at the hospital. Just so happened these "thank you cards" had the Levy logo real big on one page of the card...

five days before the election.

They are crooked as can be. Criminal.

Teachers unions pick the school boards and the superintendent. It's a closed system ensuring they get what they want.

Two days ago...fourth graders went out and put "thank you cards" on the car windows of workers at the hospital. Just so happened these "thank you cards" had the Levy logo real big on one page of the card...

five days before the election.

They are crooked as can be. Criminal.
I don't like using children, but what crime was committed?

Through the voting process. I wasn’t clear. Sorry
I could see the unions having some influence in BOE elections IF most of the teachers and staff lived in the district they work in. I'd guess well over half of the teachers in my district don't. Or maybe they simply wield more political influence in larger blue city districts? It doesn't work that way in my smaller district.

I dunno, maybe I should have reached out for an endorsement when I ran for office. I think I won with our voters based on my good looks. :cool:

As far as hiring superintendents, that's the exclusive province and decision of the BOE. The local union is certainly free to offer input to the board on their preference, just like any other party with a stake in the process, but that's it.

Last edited:
I could see the unions having some influence in BOE elections IF most of the teachers and staff lived in the district they work in. I'd guess well over half of the teachers in my district don't. Or maybe they simply wield more political influence in larger blue city districts? It doesn't work that way in my smaller district.

I dunno, maybe I should have reached out for an endorsement when I ran for office. I think I won with our voters based on my good looks. :cool:

As far as hiring superintendents, that's the exclusive province and decision of the BOE. The local union is certainly free to offer input to the board on their preference, just like any other party with a stake in the process, but that's it.
With the voting block alone they have great influence. 140 people in our district…

One is essential for a long and productive life, the other is not.

One is essential for a successful life.

If you truly think a teacher who plays ball all day and doesn't have a bit of homework at home to do should be paid the same as an english teacher who has 3 hours of grading to do a day (most in evening)..

If you truly think a teacher who plays ball all day and doesn't have a bit of homework at home to do should be paid the same as an english teacher who has 3 hours of grading to do a day (most in evening)..
Some unions are like that. Phys Ed teachers are like union construction workers with boobs. Typically a lesser value, with the same price tag.

Last edited:
When in high school I was told by my guidance teacher when i told her i wanted to be a teacher she says I know you played sports but please do not become a history- Phys ed dime a dozen teacher and think their will be jobs begging for you. Took industrial education in college and became a shop teacher worked out great jobs were plentiful and I could pick from several and after I decided I wanted to go another direction away from teaching I was still getting calls from schools asking if I was interested in teaching jobs. Then time passed and now I realize I did the right thing changing course because I doubt I would have made it to full retirement before industrial arts depts were done away with. I know several industrial arts teachers that did not make it to full retirement and ended up having to find another career to finish their working time.

When in high school I was told by my guidance teacher when i told her i wanted to be a teacher she says I know you played sports but please do not become a history- Phys ed dime a dozen teacher and think their will be jobs begging for you. Took industrial education in college and became a shop teacher worked out great jobs were plentiful and I could pick from several and after I decided I wanted to go another direction away from teaching I was still getting calls from schools asking if I was interested in teaching jobs. Then time passed and now I realize I did the right thing changing course because I doubt I would have made it to full retirement before industrial arts depts were done away with. I know several industrial arts teachers that did not make it to full retirement and ended up having to find another career to finish their working time.
There were some really terrific hybrid tech industrial arts programs coming on line in the '90's. My local district had the son of a retired shop teacher get hired - Szabo, I think - and he had started something great. "The bitches" eventually gutted and destroyed it.

First the levy loot tug-o-war began....teachers union leaders pushed out the industrial arts and most of phys ed schedule (at the state level), to preserve the full-time jobs of the "single white female" art and music teachers that ALWAYS vote their way at all the union meetings, and donate to their political NGO programs.

While that dynamic got worse, it was followed by Obummer spendulous at the borderline public colleges, making the small private schools look dull by comparison, and saying all kids should get a student loan, but no one should be able to discharge in bankruptcy. Crappy plan in hindsight, but that also killed MORE industrial arts programs, imho.

We need kids trying industrial arts in middle school, actually, creating with their hands, being "rough boys". We end up with too many lazy useless failed academics and soft-hands sissies without it.

There were some really terrific hybrid tech industrial arts programs coming on line in the '90's. My local district had the son of a retired shop teacher get hired - Szabo, I think - and he had started something great. "The bitches" eventually gutted and destroyed it.

First the levy loot tug-o-war began....teachers union leaders pushed out the industrial arts and most of phys ed schedule (at the state level), to preserve the full-time jobs of the "single white female" art and music teachers that ALWAYS vote their way at all the union meetings, and donate to their political NGO programs.

While that dynamic got worse, it was followed by Obummer spendulous at the borderline public colleges, making the small private schools look dull by comparison, and saying all kids should get a student loan, but no one should be able to discharge in bankruptcy. Crappy plan in hindsight, but that also killed MORE industrial arts programs, imho.

We need kids trying industrial arts in middle school, actually, creating with their hands, being "rough boys". We end up with too many lazy useless failed academics and soft-hands sissies without it.
I took 2 "Shop" classes as electives in HS. I loved them. Teacher could tell I knew my stuff so would consistently give me a 100 for the day and have we work on something else for him.

Some unions are like that. Phys Ed teachers are like union construction workers with boobs. Typically a lesser value, with the same price tag.
Highly unethical don't you think?
Luke Bryan Shame GIF by Academy of Country Music Awards

I am not a language teacher, but I can recognize an incomplete sentence when i see one.

It's being reported that yesterday's voter turnout, including absentee ballots, is the lowest EVER in an Ohio primary. That surprises me with the amount of advertising done, the news has been propping up the election for weeks. Are we finally at a time when many people can isolate themselves so much fromt he world that they simply don't know what's going on. Think about it, you can listen to podcasts, streamed music with no commercials, many don't touch a newspaper or listen to local news on TV or radio, and many people stream TV shows. So unless someone in your inner circle talks politics with you, you may not even be aware there was an election yesterday.

It's being reported that yesterday's voter turnout, including absentee ballots, is the lowest EVER in an Ohio primary. That surprises me with the amount of advertising done, the news has been propping up the election for weeks. Are we finally at a time when many people can isolate themselves so much fromt he world that they simply don't know what's going on. Think about it, you can listen to podcasts, streamed music with no commercials, many don't touch a newspaper or listen to local news on TV or radio, and many people stream TV shows. So unless someone in your inner circle talks politics with you, you may not even be aware there was an election yesterday.
In my precinct there really weren't many meaningful races at hand. Many of the county positions were running un-opposed on the Republican side. Trump is already in. Had to narrow down a few Commissioner races and a county-wide operating levy for services and the Moreno/Dolan/Larose contest.