School Levy's and property taxes.

I would think the property owners would pass on the property tax increase to the renters. The property tax increase will put a lot of pressure on upcoming school levy votes. The recent levies that were defeated, how will the voters who voted no change their votes when they just been hit with a tax increase they weren't prepared for? Seniors on fixed incomes may have a very hard time dealing with the new tax increase. How many may end up losing their homes?
This particular levy is an addition to the increased property tax.

It’s only a tax on income earners. A couple that makes $100k will pay an additional $1200 every year until they retire

Our school board tried to pass a levy several years ago that was "earned income", and it just so happened that 2 board members were retired teachers (and their pensions weren't subject to earned income). It was defeated at the polls. A few tax cycles later the board tried again with a property tax proposal and it passed.

Not only is it illegal for districts to fund the school through my property taxes exclusively, but then take into account that through EdChoice a student's family can take my property taxes, intended for the district in which I live, and take that money to attend a private school outside of my district (or county), and send their kid to a school that does not get measured in the same manner as my local public school.

Just discussion on school Levy's.

How would you feel if after your real estate taxes went up 40 percent in one year, your school system puts a PERMANENT!!! 1.75 mill levy on the ballet two months after you received your real estate tax bill? To spell that out in real numbers....I paid $2200.00 on my $395000 house last year....my bill this year was $3100.00. If this levy passes, I will be paying an additional $1200.00 (or more) inot the school system every year until the day I retire.

They just can't get enough.
Is the levy Permanent or is it for Permanent Improvement?

but then take into account that through EdChoice a student's family can take my property taxes, intended for the district in which I live, and take that money to attend a private school outside of my district (or county)
Government schools aren’t the best way to educate every student. Let parents decide what’s best for their kids.

School funding has so many sidebars that I think it's hard for people to fully grasp. There's the mindset that, "my kids aren't in school" or "I don't have kids so I don't want to pay school taxes". Well it's bigger than that. If you value education and feel that there is a carryover to the "good school system - good city/ town" concept, then funding schools is a good thing for you. As mentioned earlier, there is a never ending list of things schools can spend money on, so you need to have an administration and school board that recognizes that and tries not to waste money. And of course there is those who pay little to nothing into their own kids education and is perfectly fine with that.
I've been on school boards, it's a thankless job and there are so many things "built into" the expenses of a school that there is little room for many other interests. I'm not saying that you should always vote yes for levies, but just understand that the less money your school has, the less programs, staff, curriculum they can offer.

Our school board tried to pass a levy several years ago that was "earned income", and it just so happened that 2 board members were retired teachers (and their pensions weren't subject to earned income). It was defeated at the polls. A few tax cycles later the board tried again with a property tax proposal and it passed.
lol..that would be an easy one to shoot holes in.

School funding has so many sidebars that I think it's hard for people to fully grasp. There's the mindset that, "my kids aren't in school" or "I don't have kids so I don't want to pay school taxes". Well it's bigger than that. If you value education and feel that there is a carryover to the "good school system - good city/ town" concept, then funding schools is a good thing for you. As mentioned earlier, there is a never ending list of things schools can spend money on, so you need to have an administration and school board that recognizes that and tries not to waste money. And of course there is those who pay little to nothing into their own kids education and is perfectly fine with that.
I've been on school boards, it's a thankless job and there are so many things "built into" the expenses of a school that there is little room for many other interests. I'm not saying that you should always vote yes for levies, but just understand that the less money your school has, the less programs, staff, curriculum they can offer.
Thank you for your insight on this. How many of those problems come from spending vs generating revenue?

Government schools aren’t the best way to educate every student. Let parents decide what’s best for their kids.
That is fine. Let them pay for it. PRIVATE means PRIVATE.

If you are going to use public dollars then you must be measured in the same manner and abide by the same rules.

Mercy..this will be a book.

So....the district put out there 5 year forecast on Nov. 30th 2023. They didn't include the nearly 5 million dollars that the state said we were going to get due to the increase in state property taxes. (most went up 40%).

The reason they gave was that "we don't know for sure if we will be fully funded". Our district state rep. assured our district that the money was coming.. For the next 4 months, our district Super and treasurer claimed that we needed money to "fill the gap" and that we were not going to receive the funds from the state..so we needed to pass this levy.

The treasurer admitted openly many times to not including the money into her income forecast.

Fast forward to today...less than two weeks before the election.

The superindent puts out this email to the district " The board will also be voting on an updated forecast. Please know that every school publishes its forecast twice a year, once in november and once in May. Due to the UPDATED INFORMATION regarding the property tax revenues, we NOW know we will receive the increase (at least until legislation is passed to reduce them). We believe that we need to publish an off cycle 5 year forecast in true transparency. We have put money into accounts in this new forecast to prepare for equipment and aging intrustructure needs."

So....they were told for four months that they were getting the funds.....and denied it..for four months, failing to put it into the state forecast. For four months they beg for the levy to pass.

twelve days before the election, they call the receipt of the funds "new information" and put out an email admitting what they had been saying for four months was not true in order to get an additional levy passed.

To make matters worse? They add on expenses into the updated forecast that were not included in November!!! Why? To pad the numbers..to make the balance sheet look "not so great" To lessen the impact of the now admitted additional state income. Nothing has changed at our school since November 30th!!!!

Unbelievable deceit and corruption at the basic level of government. .

Last edited:
Mercy..this will be a book.

So....the district put out there 5 year forecast on Nov. 30th 2023. They didn't include the nearly 5 million dollars that the state said we were going to get due to the increase in state property taxes. (most went up 40%).

The reason they gave was that "we don't know for sure if we will be fully funded". Our district state rep. assured our district that the money was coming.. For the next 4 months, our district Super and treasurer claimed that we needed money to "fill the gap" and that we were not going to receive the funds from the state..so we needed to pass this levy.

The treasurer admitted openly many times to not including the money into her income forecast.

Fast forward to today...less than two weeks before the election.

The superindent puts out this email to the district " The board will also be voting on an updated forecast. Please know that every school publishes its forecast twice a year, once in november and once in May. Due to the UPDATED INFORMATION regarding the property tax revenues, we NOW know we will receive the increase (at least until legislation is passed to reduce them). We believe that we need to publish an off cycle 5 year forecast in true transparency. We have put money into accounts in this new forecast to prepare for equipment and aging intrustructure needs."

So....they were told for four months that they were getting the funds.....and denied it..for four months, failing to put it into the state forecast. For four months they beg for the levy to pass.

twelve days before the election, they call the reciept of the funds "new information" and put out an email admitting what they had been saying for four months was a lie in order to get an additional levy passed.

To make matters worse? They add on expenses into the updated forecast that were not included in November!!! Why? To pad the numbers..to make the balance sheet look "not so great" To lessen the impact of the now admitted additional state income. Nothing has changed at our school since November 30th!!!!

Unbelievable deceit and corruption at the basic level of government. .

Are you surprised by this?

Last week the pro levy committee sent out post cards only to retired people....who won't have to pay in a dime.

F'ing crooks.

I'm coming back to town to vote 3 times for the levy.
They are trying everything now.

Get this one. They are voting on a resolution tonight..

"If we end up with too much money...we will lower the tax rate" LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If we end up with too much money...we will lower the tax rate" LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will be a part of the NIL fund. If we wanna compete with Marion Local on the football fueld....

It will be a part of the NIL fund. If we wanna compete with Marion Local on the football fueld....
There's no doubt....there's a much better chance of us getting turf then ever having the tax percentage go down. Do they think people are stupid????

“Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program” – Milton Friedman​

When it comes to levies, if someone tells you it's "for the kids" they are lying to you or lying to themselves.

There's no doubt....there's a much better chance of us getting turf then ever having the tax percentage go down. Do they think people are stupid????
Duck races are aimed at building a Dome over the baseball and football field.

Just discussion on school Levy's.

How would you feel if after your real estate taxes went up 40 percent in one year, your school system puts a PERMANENT!!! 1.75 mill levy on the ballet two months after you received your real estate tax bill? To spell that out in real numbers....I paid $2200.00 on my $395000 house last year....my bill this year was $3100.00. If this levy passes, I will be paying an additional $1200.00 (or more) inot the school system every year until the day I retire.

They just can't get enough.
$3100 on a 400K house is peanuts. I couldn't write that check fast enough.

$3100 on a 400K house is peanuts. I couldn't write that check fast enough.
unless ya are a ten cent millionaire who lives check by check........

Rumors are some have been taking out 60yr mortgages, (didnt know that was a thing) to keep up with the Joneses.

CW folk trying to act like those rich folk in Minster.

Last edited:
Not only is it illegal for districts to fund the school through my property taxes exclusively, but then take into account that through EdChoice a student's family can take my property taxes, intended for the district in which I live, and take that money to attend a private school outside of my district (or county), and send their kid to a school that does not get measured in the same manner as my local public school.
Is your district Washington Local (i.e. Whitmer H.S.)? I recall regarding something in The Blade in recent years and it was staggering how much money they lose from folks taking public money and spending it on a private education through EdChoice. Like staggering to the level that compounded over time, the district (Washington Local) that the money was intended to fund will either be making cuts or asking the taxpayers for more money.

A ton of folks in my area saw their property taxes increase by 30-40%...I believe my parents were slated for about a 37% increase in theirs. When they went to dispute/challenge said reappraisal, the local officials they talked with claimed that the state government has encouraged local governments to raid the taxpayers while home sale values are high.

The state government, meanwhile, has a record rainy day that it isn't dishing money out of to either the localities or directly back to the taxpayers.

unless ya are a ten cent millionaire who lives check by check........

Rumors are some have been taking out 60yr mortgages, (didnt know that was a thing) to keep up with the Joneses.

CW folk trying to act like those rich folk in Minster.
I have heard that rumor...not sure if its true or not...