Sad News out of Akron/Massillon - RIP Kyree Young

djcoach

Its all over Facebook now. Kyree Young RIP - committed to Kentucky to play football. played at Barberton, Buchtel and graduated from Massillon

Looks like fight in North Akron, shot and killed

I saw this morning Nate Moore’s tweet. Very sad, prayers and a healing hand for those who have been affected by this tragedy. RIP to a young man.

Just heard about this on the radio but they didn't mention the victim's name. Very sad and it is happening way too often.

First saw this kid play when he was 10, playing with my son for the West Griffin Pee-wees and man he was something to watch even back then. Prayers to the family and extended family that are really feeling this right now.

Sad and horrifying. The young man almost made it out. Something has to be done to stop the senseless deaths in the inner cities of this country. We are losing far too many young people with tons of potential. Where are the politicians?

Copy paste it? I’ve reached my max views for the month lol.
A man accused of killing a local high school football star has been arrested after showing up at a local hospital with a gunshot wound.

But the man's lawyer claimed Tuesday that his client fired in self-defense.

"The self-defense shooting was in response to a robbery at gunpoint by Kyree Young," attorney Noah Munyer told the Beacon Journal.

Kyree Young, 18, was killed on July 27 in Akron's Chapel Hill neighborhood. Akron police said Bryce Parmer, 19, of Akron, has been arrested and charged with murder in the case.

Police said the shooting happened at about 5:45 p.m. on Brittain Road south of Yorkshire Drive. Officers were dispatched to the scene after police received multiple calls about a shooting.

Arriving officers found Young behind a nearby home. He had been shot multiple times and was unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said preliminary information suggests there was an altercation before the shooting.

Court records show police issued an arrest warrant for Parmer the next day.

According to police, Parmer went to Summa Akron City Hospital on Monday night to seek treatment for a gunshot wound. When officers arrived, they took Parmer into custody.

Parmer has retained Munyer and Jacob Will as his attorneys.

More:'I want everyone to survive': City Series football coaches deal with recent shooting deaths

"The self-defense shooting was in response to a robbery at gunpoint by Kyree Young," attorney Noah Munyer told the Beacon Journal.

Maybe, maybe not - time will tell but it seems another urban, young, black adult was his own worse enemy.

The self-defense argument is a little stronger when you stick around to claim it rather than run off and hide.

Damn tragedy all of the way around. Kids with guns.

Sounds like Kyree already had pending firearm charges at the time he was killed.

Last edited: