Round 2: #7 Elder(6-5) vs. #2 St. Xavier(9-2)

Elder is going to have to stop X somehow. X scored 7 TD and 1 FG on 10 possessions in the first game. Assuming they get 10 possessions again, Elder will have to hold them to something like 3-4 TD and 2 FG to have a chance, and there is no way there are doing that unless they can force a lot of turnovers.

Why is that?

Colerain was flagged for a few pass interference calls last week. Willis will need to learn how to defend better at UC without making contact. The one in OT was probably the least obvious one, but the ref was right there in position to call and it only gave them half the distance putting it at 3rd and 6. Colerain still had 2 chances to stop them there and didn't. The one call I thought was bad against Colerain was flagging the Colerain player for late hit out of bounds. It was OT and the kid was trying to not give up any extra yard. They were going out of bounds but he hadn't stepped out just yet. Another tough call against Colerain was Elder player waving fair catch at the last second on a punt return. The ball hit off the Elder helmet I believe, but the Colerain made contact. The Colerain player should have given him a yard to make catch. Unfortunate call for Colerain.

Colerain was the beneficiary on a bad call imo from the refs. Elder had 1st and goal from the 3 and they called Elder for offensive pass interference on a rub route. The Elder played simply ran a little curl route that blocked the Colerain LB and the Colerain player ran into the Elder player. The Elder WR did not initiate any contact.

I don't think refs had a negative impact on the game. The game was settled by the players on the field. The game could have gone either way.

I forgot to add the big PI call against Colerain was an easy call for the ref. It negated an interception that could have put the game out of reach for Elder. It was a bad pass by Hambleton(or maybe a miscommunication on the route), but he threw it right to a Colerain LB that was covering just in front of the Elder WR. The PI call came against a Colerain DB who went over top of Ramsey before the ball got there and prevented Ramsey from making a play on the ball. It was a bad play by the Colerain DB as it was an easy interception for the Colerain LB, and an easy call for the ref.

Well,.........surprised to see this. ?

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
I was hoping that Springfield would lose (AGAIN) to make this toolbox disappear. But then I remembered he doesn't even care about facts like that. Besides, I realized it's not Springfield's fault that their loudest fan is a complete and utter piece of trash.

Didnt read all the posts but Elder missing their best and fastest DB is significant. It hurt them against LaSalle and especially Colerain. He would have limited a couple of the Colerain long touchdowns (they would have likely just scored a few plays later).

Elder is not more talented or better coached. They need to catch a few breaks and use the short passing game to maintain long and time consuming drives. It wont be enough.

I was hoping that Springfield would lose (AGAIN) to make this toolbox disappear. But then I remembered he doesn't even care about facts like that. Besides, I realized it's not Springfield's fault that their loudest fan is a complete and utter piece of trash.
You do come off as pretty slow. Never thought you'd admit to it. St X needs new leadership in their special education program. Maybe you could pass that on. As far as losses are concerned, when's the last time you took a look at the merchandise you're trying to push? I don't have to "hope" your team will lose. That's an inevitability. Sorry if I'm using big words they didn't cover in your special classes.

Last edited:
Colerain was flagged for a few pass interference calls last week. Willis will need to learn how to defend better at UC without making contact. The one in OT was probably the least obvious one, but the ref was right there in position to call and it only gave them half the distance putting it at 3rd and 6. Colerain still had 2 chances to stop them there and didn't. The one call I thought was bad against Colerain was flagging the Colerain player for late hit out of bounds. It was OT and the kid was trying to not give up any extra yard. They were going out of bounds but he hadn't stepped out just yet. Another tough call against Colerain was Elder player waving fair catch at the last second on a punt return. The ball hit off the Elder helmet I believe, but the Colerain made contact. The Colerain player should have given him a yard to make catch. Unfortunate call for Colerain.

Colerain was the beneficiary on a bad call imo from the refs. Elder had 1st and goal from the 3 and they called Elder for offensive pass interference on a rub route. The Elder played simply ran a little curl route that blocked the Colerain LB and the Colerain player ran into the Elder player. The Elder WR did not initiate any contact.

I don't think refs had a negative impact on the game. The game was settled by the players on the field. The game could have gone either way.

I forgot to add the big PI call against Colerain was an easy call for the ref. It negated an interception that could have put the game out of reach for Elder. It was a bad pass by Hambleton(or maybe a miscommunication on the route), but he threw it right to a Colerain LB that was covering just in front of the Elder WR. The PI call came against a Colerain DB who went over top of Ramsey before the ball got there and prevented Ramsey from making a play on the ball. It was a bad play by the Colerain DB as it was an easy interception for the Colerain LB, and an easy call for the ref.
It sounds like Colerain was very undisciplined throughout the game.

Didnt read all the posts but Elder missing their best and fastest DB is significant. It hurt them against LaSalle and especially Colerain. He would have limited a couple of the Colerain long touchdowns (they would have likely just scored a few plays later).

Elder is not more talented or better coached. They need to catch a few breaks and use the short passing game to maintain long and time consuming drives. It wont be enough.
Will he be back for tomorrow's game?

The Circus? is usually full of surprises! Ohio River Boyyy is the Lead ??
I'd be glad to take credit for winless Trinity's and Ignatius' wins over your team. Were you as amused as I was by those losses? Were you laughing your a** off too when Trinity had it 1st n goal at the very end but intentionally wasted the first 3 downs to kill clock, knowing they couldn't be stopped from scoring on 4th down? Of course, I saved the biggest surprise for last when a .500 team SHS beat took your team down. There's definitely a chink in the armor. Be prepared for more surprises on the horizon.

Last edited:

Elder is missing Kammerer and Paff, although they didn't have Paff the first meeting either so that's a moot point. Missing Kammerer is a big loss. They still have Thomas who is a 3 year starter and lock down corner who can take McFarlin if they choose to do that. I believe the corner they had in is decent, but is a dropoff from Kammerer.

I believe Elder has a great staff so I don't necessarily agree with X being better coached. X definitely has more talent overall than Elder this year. Coaching wise I'm just comparing the coordinators offensive and defensive. Ramsey is as good or better than the Coverdale. Currin the defensive coordinator will have Elder well prepared and will make good in game adjustments. I know X has a great staff too.

I really wouldn't use the Colerain game for Elder as a basis for how good their defense is. There was an obvious flaw in their game plan to defend the triple option. It looks like they put too much emphasis on stopping Flowers and Shannan when they should have gave equal respect to stopping the QB. They were very, very bad on their QB assigment against Colerain. Either way, the triple option is difficult for a college team to prepare for, much less a high school team. Elder's defense is better than what they showed against Colerain. I think Elder has a good, but not great defense and good is not enough to stop a VERY GREAT X offense. What I'm hoping for is the Elder D can just slow the X offense down and create a turnover or two to give Elder a chance this game.

One other thing to add about defending Colerain's triple option. The Colerain QB Jennings improved immensely since the beginning of the season. The Colerain staff had them running the triple option very effectively by playoff time. Elder did not have the luxury of facing Colerain early in the season when the Colerain QB was just getting his feet wet with it. By Week 11 he was a much different player. Something to consider when evaluating Elder's defensive performance vs. Lasalle and X early on against Colerain. Elder did get the stop in OT to seal the win also.

I really wouldn't use the Colerain game for Elder as a basis for how good their defense is. There was an obvious flaw in their game plan to defend the triple option. It looks like they put too much emphasis on stopping Flowers and Shannan when they should have gave equal respect to stopping the QB. They were very, very bad on their QB assigment against Colerain. Either way, the triple option is difficult for a college team to prepare for, much less a high school team. Elder's defense is better than what they showed against Colerain. I think Elder has a good, but not great defense and good is not enough to stop a VERY GREAT X offense. What I'm hoping for is the Elder D can just slow the X offense down and create a turnover or two to give Elder a chance this game.

One other thing to add about defending Colerain's triple option. The Colerain QB Jennings improved immensely since the beginning of the season. The Colerain staff had them running the triple option very effectively by playoff time. Elder did not have the luxury of facing Colerain early in the season when the Colerain QB was just getting his feet wet with it. By Week 11 he was a much different player. Something to consider when evaluating Elder's defensive performance vs. Lasalle and X early on against Colerain. Elder did get the stop in OT to seal the win also.
Based on the Louisville Trinity game, I would say Elder's key to victory is their offense. In the 2d half of that game, Trinity scored on every drive except the one where they fumbled. And the way they were driving, they probably would have scored on that one too.

I'd be glad to take credit for winless Trinity's and Ignatius' wins over your team. Were you as amused as I was by those losses? Were you laughing your a** off too when Trinity had it 1st n goal at the very end but intentionally wasted the first 3 downs to kill clock, knowing they couldn't be stopped from scoring on 4th down? Of course, I saved the biggest surprise for last when a .500 team SHS beat took your team down. There's definitely a chink in the armor. Be prepared for more surprises on the horizon.
Smarty is an Elder fan, not an X fan.

You do come off as pretty slow. Never thought you'd admit to it. St X needs new leadership in their special education program. Maybe you could pass that on. As far as losses are concerned, when's the last time you took a look at the merchandise you're trying to push? I don't have to "hope" your team will lose. That's an inevitability. Sorry if I'm using big words they didn't cover in your special classes.
St X doesn’t have special Ed

Could you elaborate please? Oh, sorry, I keep using big, multi-syllable words they didn't cover in your special ed curriculum. You'll have to forgive me. Maybe try Speak n Read if you can find one at a pawn shop on Glenway.
Yes I can. You should be the last person to talk about education. You one of the most ignorant uneducated people on here! Stinky Ohio River Boyyy=dumb??

Yes I can. You should be the last person to talk about education. You one of the most ignorant uneducated people on here! Stinky Ohio River Boyyy=dumb??
So you did find a used Speak n Read! Those Glenway pawn shops have really come up. Now, you need to work on verbs and commas. Your second sentence lacks both. If you're capable of multi-tasking, try watching Wheel of Fortune while using the Speak n Read. I'll warn ya though, they don't use pictures. And, stay away from Jeopardy. You're a ways off from that. Stick with Vanna White for now.

Last edited: