Rotational versus Linear Hitting (Baseball Swing vs Softball Swing)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Talking to a recent graduate that played softball in the Akron area, she had a rotational swing and was constantly being encouraged to change to a linear swing.

What do you think? Is a linear swing better for softball?

I know a "hitting instructor" who claims to teach "linear" hitting and says it's Superior to "rotational." .

The thing is he can't define exactly what makes a swing linear or rotational.

I know a "hitting instructor" who claims to teach "linear" hitting and says it's Superior to "rotational." .

The thing is he can't define exactly what makes a swing linear or rotational.

I think most swings are a hybrid. Seems that watching college softball, there are more hitters trending towards rotational.

Here's another.

My kid had a high school coach who claimed to have played some college ball. She told me "Her swing is too rotational. Needs to be more linear."

So what's the difference?

She said "Well.. my swing was rotational when I went to college. They worked with me and we made it linear. My average went wwwaaayyy up.."

Ok,,, but what does that mean?

"It's just different. One is rotational. One is linear.."

And the conversation sort of just went like that.

Sometimes I think there are people who want to make themselves appear more knowledgeable than the person they are talking too. Then they look a little sheepish when the person they are talking to already knows about these topics.

Bumping this to the top. What do you see in HS softball? More linear swings or more rotational?

JMHO - I believe it depends on the hitter. Some kids have the tools to be power hitters and most incorporate a hybrid of linear and rotational. They attack the ball with linear movement (a small and controlled stride) then finish with a strong rotation of the core. Some kids are more contact hitters and a linear swing that keeps the barrel through the zone longer works really well for them.

I agree with some of the other posters that the topic is often confused and people like to tout one of the other to impress their students.

I'm way more interested in keeping weight back, hand path, footwork, head and finish. I've seen some really great hitters constantly barrel up balls with very little formal training. And, I've seen some average hitters spend thousands on hitting lessons.

Hit the ball "on time" and on the sweet spot of the barrel and things will work out.

Bumping this to the top. What do you see in HS softball? More linear swings or more rotational?

Depends on the league.

In SW Ohio CMAC, MVC you see a lot of rotational or squish the bug.
GMC, GWOC you see a lot of full stride swings. Other leagues will have a mix of teams with ladies getting hitting instruction in one or the other.

Running into this issue again and just had to vent.

I personally think there are good hitters from both styles of hitting. They are unique to the batters and each kid has different strengths and weaknesses.

With that said, why are so many youth parents against "a baseball swing" (ie rotational)? I can't count the number of times I've heard educated people who have followed or played softball saying that it is wrong to teach softball players a baseball swing. If you watch college softball or happen to see the pros, the majority are now using the rotational swing. You can put many of the best college softball hitters and superimpose the top MLB players and their swings are almost identical.

There is NOTHING wrong with teaching rotational swings to softball players. We need to get past this complaining about people who have different swings than what was taught 30 years ago.

Just to be clear, both are solid styles for softball. My biggest beef is the number of people who criticize rotational swings. I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize a linear swing but hear way too many people who are quick to put down swings that are different from how they were taught.

End of rant.

JMHO - I believe it depends on the hitter. Some kids have the tools to be power hitters and most incorporate a hybrid of linear and rotational. They attack the ball with linear movement (a small and controlled stride) then finish with a strong rotation of the core. Some kids are more contact hitters and a linear swing that keeps the barrel through the zone longer works really well for them.

I agree with some of the other posters that the topic is often confused and people like to tout one of the other to impress their students.

I'm way more interested in keeping weight back, hand path, footwork, head and finish. I've seen some really great hitters constantly barrel up balls with very little formal training. And, I've seen some average hitters spend thousands on hitting lessons.

Hit the ball "on time" and on the sweet spot of the barrel and things will work out.

:clap: This!!! Kids can be successful using either approach. It's more about hand eye coordination and timing. And in softball at the higher levels, it's about being a great guesser. Most hitters have about 2/3's to 3/4's of a second to decide whether a ball is a ball or a strike. Most kids who are great hitters in fastpitch softball have that skill that no hitting instructor can teach.

Running into this issue again and just had to vent.

I personally think there are good hitters from both styles of hitting. They are unique to the batters and each kid has different strengths and weaknesses.

With that said, why are so many youth parents against "a baseball swing" (ie rotational)? I can't count the number of times I've heard educated people who have followed or played softball saying that it is wrong to teach softball players a baseball swing. If you watch college softball or happen to see the pros, the majority are now using the rotational swing. You can put many of the best college softball hitters and superimpose the top MLB players and their swings are almost identical.

There is NOTHING wrong with teaching rotational swings to softball players. We need to get past this complaining about people who have different swings than what was taught 30 years ago.

Just to be clear, both are solid styles for softball. My biggest beef is the number of people who criticize rotational swings. I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize a linear swing but hear way too many people who are quick to put down swings that are different from how they were taught.

End of rant.

I think the argument a lot of people make is that a rotational swing is too "big" or too slow for the game of fastpitch softball. I will say that in my experience it seems that a lot of girls with "baseball" type swings tend to strikeout more than girls with "softball" swings, but the girls with the rotational style also seem to hit the ball with more power. I for one am willing to take the trade-off if a girl can but the ball over the fence and drive it into the gaps for extra bases on a regular basis.

I think the argument a lot of people make is that a rotational swing is too "big" or too slow for the game of fastpitch softball. I will say that in my experience it seems that a lot of girls with "baseball" type swings tend to strikeout more than girls with "softball" swings, but the girls with the rotational style also seem to hit the ball with more power. I for one am willing to take the trade-off if a girl can but the ball over the fence and drive it into the gaps for extra bases on a regular basis.

Agreed. Typically the "contact" hitter is the linear hitter. The "power" hitter is the rotational hitter. Teams probably prefer to have a good mix of both type of hitters.

That's not to say that linear has no power or rotational can't make consistent contact. They are just two different styles and most kids have a hybrid swing that leans one way or the other. My biggest beef is the parents who belittle those that teach baseball swings.

Agree with those above ... linear is 'better' because it's quicker... in fast pitch softball especially at the highest level, it's rare to find someone who has a quick enough "rotational" (aka not throwing your hands directly at the pitch) type swing.

Wow, I really thought this debate died at least 5-10 years ago. I know it did at the highest levels of Travel, college, and professional softball.
Even experts like Sue Enquist of UCLA and Olympic coaching fame have admitted their error of trying to differentiate between a baseball swing and a softball swing a long time ago do to the new slow motion video capturing technology.
Most high level hitting coaches coach both boys and girls exactly the same way. It’s both rotational and linear with varying degrees depending on style. I haven’t heard anyone call it rotational or linear in a really long time because most people realized great hitting is attributed to both aspect.
If your looking for high level girls softball talk I suggest this forum
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/
Lots of college and professional coaches, instructors, and players getting into more details than you could imagine. Enjoy

Wow, I really thought this debate died at least 5-10 years ago. I know it did at the highest levels of Travel, college, and professional softball.
Even experts like Sue Enquist of UCLA and Olympic coaching fame have admitted their error of trying to differentiate between a baseball swing and a softball swing a long time ago do to the new slow motion video capturing technology.
Most high level hitting coaches coach both boys and girls exactly the same way. It’s both rotational and linear with varying degrees depending on style. I haven’t heard anyone call it rotational or linear in a really long time because most people realized great hitting is attributed to both aspect.
If your looking for high level girls softball talk I suggest this forum
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/
Lots of college and professional coaches, instructors, and players getting into more details than you could imagine. Enjoy

Interestingly, I've searched "linear swing" on youtube and have come up almost empty with the exception of "rotational versus linear" swing.

My frustration was from a few people who were very critical calling it a baseball swing and thinking it was wholly inappropriate for a girl to be taught that swing.

Interestingly, I've searched "linear swing" on youtube and have come up almost empty with the exception of "rotational versus linear" swing.

My frustration was from a few people who were very critical calling it a baseball swing and thinking it was wholly inappropriate for a girl to be taught that swing.

That’s crazy. If someone is telling your daughter that she has a baseball swing I guess I would take it as a compliment? I would also ask them to demonstrate the difference and the reason for an alternative swing for a similar sport.
Bottom line a good swing is a good swing be it baseball or softball, it’s still the same challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1QGlcdDp2k

One of the greatest hitters of all time was a "squish the bug hitter" in most at bats. When Pete would stride he took a 4 to 6 inch step. Lots of good videos of success vs. MLB pitching and the lower body stayed home and rotated.

What works... works. If the numbers are there and you get on base, drive in runs that is what hitting is about. I have seen success at all levels using both.

Too many coaches and parents today focus on the launch angle, over stride or HR swing for little sally who at 5.2 100 lbs. is going to be a power hitter she is...They then over reach with the front foot dragging the rear in their approach to get the body moving forward. Another issue is leg kick, lots of kids/parents see MLB players or SP players with a high leg kick to stride and try to get little johnny or sally to do the same to increase power SMH...

Last edited:
That’s crazy. If someone is telling your daughter that she has a baseball swing I guess I would take it as a compliment? I would also ask them to demonstrate the difference and the reason for an alternative swing for a similar sport.
Bottom line a good swing is a good swing be it baseball or softball, it’s still the same challenge.
I know I'm super late to this show, but I got here by 2 reason. Trying to learn about linear swing and the same as the person you replied to, just about all I can find is " linear vs rotational " videos.. But, if you're still even on here maybe you can elaborate your opinion on my issue.. I just like to hear others thoughts/opinions whether they're good or bad! So here goes..

My daughter is in 10 but with our team, we will be moving up to 12U. Not super relevant but, just throwing that out there. ( I'm also one of the coaches )

I know I'm super late to this show, but I got here by 2 reason. Trying to learn about linear swing and the same as the person you replied to, just about all I can find is " linear vs rotational " videos.. But, if you're still even on here maybe you can elaborate your opinion on my issue.. I just like to hear others thoughts/opinions whether they're good or bad! So here goes..

My daughter is in 10 but wi

My daughter is in 10 but with our team, we will be moving up to 12U. Not super relevant but, just throwing that out there. ( I'm also one of the coaches )
I didn't mean to post that yet, but anyway.. I finally talked myself into letting her do private lessons ( The 2 people that work with her, I've known my whole life and have a lot of faith/trust in them.. Not just a random trainer) But, they teach " linear " hitting. I've yet to watch a lesson or watch her hit when she's with them ( she has a bad habit of being self conscious know I'm watching her and some confidence issues ) so, I purposely don't stay back to watch until we both feel like me being there won't affect her focus and mentally.. But I've asked, mainly to explain the approach/mechanics/follow through so when we are at practice or I'm working with her I know what to look for and/or not counteracting their teaching.. But, I guess I said all of that to really just say this lol... One of their main " reasons " is softball swing and baseball swing isn't the same because of how the ball is pitched.. and " The Rise Ball " and going A-B is the way vs what people like to claim " A-B-C " they harp heavy on the Rise ball being the reason..

I'm not sold just yet, although she does seem to have more confidence and makes better contact.. All I've seen is what she does at practice and it's been a lot of weak ground balls in the infield.. Damn I just wrote a whole book.. If you made it to here.. I do apologize..

Great example of the two styles was the Gold medal game between Japan rotational swing with legs wider apart and Team USA more of a baseball swing with a lower body stride into the pitch.

Japan for the tournament and in the Gold medal game had less strikeouts than Team USA with a lot of contact in the gold medal game. Team Japan outscored Team USA 22-9 for the tournament...They allowed the US pitchers to supply the power and had an HR taken away in the top of the 7th off of Abbott. I attached a Japan National team hitting video. Translated to English for ladies they were instructing. Now this years USA team struggled hitting the whole tournament and past Olympics the US was a scoring machine. So, both styles can work it depends on the player what fits them best.

Picture 2 of Howard.jpg
Static Hitting Clinic 159.JPG

One of Ohio's most well known hitting instructors has passed away.
Howard Carrier has helped 1000s of players improve not only their hitting but throwing and fielding as well. His knowledge and dedication to the perfect swing resulted in a variety of training tools and techniques used by many instructors

Sad news, I've known several girls who have used him throughout the years. He seemed to be very well liked and respected by players, parents and coaches.