Residential Appraisal Questions/Discussion

Steel Valley FB

Post your questions or comments here and I’ll do my best to answer/discuss them. I’ve been a licensed residential appraiser since 1995, with four years spent in the Youngstown/Warren market and the remainder in Columbus/Central Ohio.

Last edited:

Do mature trees on a large lot (1-2 acres) help, hurt, or don't affect the appraisal value of a home, especially if they are very large trees near the house?

Thinking about replacing some flooring in the house. We have two 50+ lb dogs so hardwood is not an option for us because the dogs will scratch it all up. So deciding between laminate plank and Luxury Vinyl Plank - is there a value difference between the two? Seems like the LVP is becoming quite popular...

Do mature trees on a large lot (1-2 acres) help, hurt, or don't affect the appraisal value of a home, especially if they are very large trees near the house?

Appraisers generally don’t adjust for trees for a residential appraisal because it’s impossible to quantify the value. It’s more of a personal preference item, like a pond, where some people would pay a premium for that item and some people would steer away from that item for various reasons.

Thinking about replacing some flooring in the house. We have two 50+ lb dogs so hardwood is not an option for us because the dogs will scratch it all up. So deciding between laminate plank and Luxury Vinyl Plank - is there a value difference between the two? Seems like the LVP is becoming quite popular...

Definitely LVP. It’s scratch proof and waterproof and very resistant. Of course it costs more but if you see something that everyone in the market is using or adding then it’s generally going to bring more market value. With that said, I personally would not make an adjustment for it in the appraisal but the market might. With things like flooring, when we do adjustments for the house we’re appraising versus the comparable sales, it’s sometimes impossible to determine the quality and the age of the comparable sale flooring based solely on MLS photos.

Definitely LVP. It’s scratch proof and waterproof and very resistant. Of course it costs more but if you see something that everyone in the market is using or adding then it’s generally going to bring more market value. With that said, I personally would not make an adjustment for it in the appraisal but the market might. With things like flooring, when we do adjustments for the house we’re appraising versus the comparable sales, it’s sometimes impossible to determine the quality and the age of the comparable sale flooring based solely on MLS photos.
Isn't there an adjustment for how recently parts of the house has been updated though?

Isn't there an adjustment for how recently parts of the house has been updated though?
Yes, relative to the comparable sales’ updates. I wouldn’t necessarily make an adjustment for new LVP alone unless all three comparable sales had carpet, for example. We usually don’t itemize adjustments. It’s more of a lump sum adjustment for condition or quality of construction.

To expand, appraisers don’t adjust the property being appraised, they adjust the comparable sales. So if your three comparable sales all have LVP and you just added LVP then there would be no adjustment for the LVP. You’ve basically just upgraded to the neighborhood standard.

Similarly, but not exactly the same, and I get this a lot, someone spends 15 to 20,000 repairing their bowing basement walls and waterproofing them and wants to know if their value has increased by 15 to 20,000. The answer is no, you’ve just brought your house back up to the neighborhood standard. It’s not a value adding improvement, per se.

With the LVP, the value is reflected in the similar sales in the neighborhood and what they sell for. If all three of those sales have carpet or laminate flooring then I would adjust up the cost of the LVP. Hopefully that makes sense.

To expand on your question, if the trees were near enough the house to cause the roof to have issues we might comment and the astute buyer would notice it and discount the value by the cost to remove the tree. Same if the tree had visible structural damage or showed signs of future problems. Also being near the house could cause foundation issues. Generally, if it was a large tree those foundation issues would already be visible. I’m getting into things now that appraisers aren’t really responsible for. Disclosure about those types of issues would fall on the home inspector. Appraisers are only responsible for what we can see. Any issues not visible are generally a home inspector issue. With trees, most things are speculative and we try not to deal in speculation.

Make sure...and I speak from experience...that your subfloor is perfect. And..you don't try and put in too long of runs.

I’ll add a topic that seems to be a big deal with people refinancing. They bought a house believing that it’s a certain square footage based on what the realtor had in the MLS listing. The problem is that realtors do not have to follow the same standards as appraisers when calculating GLA, or gross living area. So, the appraiser comes out and measures the house and determines it to be 1200 ft.² , for example, but the realtor called it 1900 ft.² because they included the finished rec room in the basement in the total square footage.

The reason is that realtors don’t have to follow ANSI which is mandated by FNMA and FNMA rules must be followed for all bank loans. Now, when they originally bought the house, the appraiser for that loan followed ANSI but the buyer didn’t read the appraisal or didn’t know how to read the appraisal if they did read it. So, the appraisal was correct and the realtor was wrong and, in my opinion, misleading and negligent. However, the realtor is covered because of their real estate rules set down by the local board of realtors. Realtors are not required to measure the house they are selling, which is a bad thing because they don’t even know what they’re selling. That should be the first step and a basic requirement, in my opinion.

This is a huge issue with all appraisers, according to my reading of appraisal blogs and message boards. The realtors have a vested interest in making the house seem like it has more square feet. Realtors I deal with in central Ohio have also been known to pull the square footage from a source called Realist and they’re covered because Realist is now their source. All they need is a source to not held liable for the accuracy of the square footage. Realist often includes finished and/or unfinished basements and garages in the gross building area and that is correct because gross is building area includes every part of the house. Except, GBA isn’t true square footage and GBA no place in the documented square footage and I’ve seen realtors use GBA and grossly overestimate the square footage of the house with no recourse available against them for being wrong and misleading. To me, it’s a legal scam on the part of the real estate boards across the country and it’s bad for their industry as a whole. Buyers need to be very aware of this, in my opinion.

Here is a link to ANSI measuring standards, which appraisers follow nationally, and the ANSI calculations are what buyers should be paying attention to when they buy a house. The gist of it starts on page 6.

Post any questions you have about ANSI measuring standards for appraisers and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Let me add also that a whole lot of realtors continue to perpetuate the myth that adding an egress window to your finished basement means it’s now included in the total square footage of the house. That is wrong and I can’t emphasize it enough. I deal with this on a weekly basis. Homeowners call me and ask if I can appraise their house so I can determine a new value based on the new square footage now that they’ve spent $8-10,000 on an egress window as suggested by a realtor.