• Walsh by 1-7

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Walsh by 8-16

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Walsh by 17+

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its hard to win this deep in the playoffs in general. I think it gets even harder when you have to beat a team twice in the year. I would believe there is more pressure on Hoban to play up than Walsh.

I am going with Hoban in a close one due to experience in big environment, but Walsh will be fired up with an opportunity for the Warriors to silence the doubters due to strength of schedule. I think this comes down to the Hoban Defense against Walsh's offence. Hoban Offense is so one dimensional so I think the Warriors will prepare well. I want to go Hoban on special teams but there have been some inconsistencies thru the season. Kicker has a big leg but I am talking special teams in total. I am not that familiar with Walsh's kicking game. Should be a good night for football and a great game!

Every week week leading up to every Hoban game, the common plea is load the box, make the QB beat you. And every week, Sperling seemingly is able to rip off huge yards and 3-5 TD's a game. Loading the box is one thing, but you have have to have dudes that are up to the challenge physically. And he's so quick and shifty, it just takes one little crack in a loaded box for him to gash teams for huge chunks, and there's no run support left in the back end. Maybe Walsh is up for it, I have no idea. I think this game comes down to how much has Hoban's D improved since the 3OT game earlier this year? If it looks much like it did that night, Walsh has a great chance to come away with a dub.

Sperling has great vision no question about it… He made some plays the other night On plays that were not blocked very well. Hobans O.Line Has a bunch of guys upfront that are big and get in the way And he does the rest. Eventually they are going to have to be able to Make plays outside of Sperling. All the bananas are out of the bunch now and every team from here on out is going to be able To match up better physically then the teams They have played. Walsh is not very big upfront on the defense but they are very solid and gap sound…… Sperling third touchdown the other night went to a vacated gap in the Defense and he had another long run in the first half that he cut all the way back side and took it down inside the 5 yard line… He will not have those opportunitiesAgainst better defensive teams. This is going to be a great football game no question about it. I see a defensive battle unlike the first game.

Hope Spectrum televises this game.
Being an Akron area Spectrum customer, I am tiring quickly of Spectrum's repeated decisions to only televise Cleveland area D1 games.

There are other teams, Spectrum.

Last edited:
Tyrrell is not a coach that shows a lot of offensive ingenuity. He's a run first guy. Everybody knows it and tries to stop it but at the end of the day he lines his 11 up against your 11 and runs it challenging teams to stop him and very few have. The biggest difference this year is when they do have to throw it Shane Hamm's not back there. He wasn't a big arm but was smart and usually had decent receivers he could count on.

Every week week leading up to every Hoban game, the common plea is load the box, make the QB beat you. And every week, Sperling seemingly is able to rip off huge yards and 3-5 TD's a game. Loading the box is one thing, but you have have to have dudes that are up to the challenge physically. And he's so quick and shifty, it just takes one little crack in a loaded box for him to gash teams for huge chunks, and there's no run support left in the back end. Maybe Walsh is up for it, I have no idea. I think this game comes down to how much has Hoban's D improved since the 3OT game earlier this year? If it looks much like it did that night, Walsh has a great chance to come away with a dub.
redwing ..........u nailed it ........saw hoban vs iggy ......iggy ....not iggy of the past , but still very formidable .........hoban held them to just over 200 yards of total offense .........sperling ran for around 150..............crable .....impossible task to follow hamm.............but he can keep a play alive......he hurt benedictine that way........3 tds by iggy from the defense .....YIKES !! u guys all know what happened in that game ............hoban .......tuuf defense ........real good speed and quickness in their front 7............o-line ........veterans ...........and sperling ........u know its coming......but .......it should be a real good game

redwing ..........u nailed it ........saw hoban vs iggy ......iggy ....not iggy of the past , but still very formidable .........hoban held them to just over 200 yards of total offense .........sperling ran for around 150..............crable .....impossible task to follow hamm.............but he can keep a play alive......he hurt benedictine that way........3 tds by iggy from the defense .....YIKES !! u guys all know what happened in that game ............hoban .......tuuf defense ........real good speed and quickness in their front 7............o-line ........veterans ...........and sperling ........u know its coming......but .......it should be a real good game
Im cross eyed reading this ?

Tyrrell is not a coach that shows a lot of offensive ingenuity. He's a run first guy. Everybody knows it and tries to stop it but at the end of the day he lines his 11 up against your 11 and runs it challenging teams to stop him and very few have. The biggest difference this year is when they do have to throw it Shane Hamm's not back there. He wasn't a big arm but was smart and usually had decent receivers he could count on.
All 5 state title teams had game breaking WR's that could win over the top, or take a short throw and run by guys for big plays. Even though the physical run game was the identity, they would take 4-5 shots a game and hit on a couple of them. I don't know if that element missing this year is more of a WR or QB issue, but it's definitely the most run heavy offense of the last 7 years. The offensive staff has always been great at scheming some things up for big playoff moments that you hadn't seen all year, so maybe they'll have something in the bag this week if they need it.

I don't see this game being much different from earlier in the season - Walsh's strengths match up very well against Hoban's weaknesses.

Walsh's DBs have the speed to catch Sperling when he reaches the backfield and stop the 60+ yd runs - Sperling might get 5-10 on a regular basis, but the speed to catch him when he reaches the backfield is huge for Walsh. Slowing down Hoban's scoring drives gives a much better chance for Walsh's offense to keep them in the game.

More importantly, Walsh was able to effectively play around Hoban's huge D-Line, forcing the Hoban outside defense to beat them. This kept the ball moving when there was a lot of field to cover, although scoring once Walsh reached the red zone became difficult. This is a key aspect of this game - if Hoban pulls off a 4th down stop (or two) in the red zone it becomes a very long night for Walsh.

Finally, there were no special teams miscues in the first meeting which is a rarity from both of these teams. A missed FG, short punt, or muffed return is likely a nail in the coffin for either team.

Walsh's decision to go for 2 in the first meeting was a bad call - Hoban had been pushing Walsh around in the red zone all game. Both teams have improved a great deal since week 3. In the first game, Hoban was banged up from playing Bergen the week before while Walsh was well-rested after a game at North. I think Hoban pulls off a close win in this game, but I certainly wouldn't lay any money on it. Too close to call.

Give me Walsh in a big upset. During their run, Hoban has primarily been a run first, second, and last team, beating teams because of their strength and conditioning. Still, with Hamm and their talented receivers and tight ends, Hamm would finish their big games with stat lines like 8-11 275yds and 3tds while the running back, whether it be Trayanum, Sperling, or whoever would have 200+ yds with a couple tds. I don't think this Hoban has a team passing attack like that, even with a stacked box. Granted I didn't watch the full games, but with Walsh and Iggy it seemed Crable could only complete a pass on broken plays. Those were games I believed they easily could have won with a passing game(again I didn't watch the full games so I could be dead wrong) and I don't think that Crable and the receivers will make plays to win the game. I still believe that Hoban is the better team especially up front, but I think Walsh is able to do enough and Tyrell and Welo won't have an answer to the Warriors and Alexander.

Walsh 24 Hoban 21

Not sure on this one just yet. Leaning to Walsh just because of the mojo thing and new blood but the Hoban lines are really tough and physical. What I will predict is the winner of this one probably makes it to the Title game as TCC and Avon are not doing much for me this year in Region 6. That would be some turn around for Walsh and a potential win/lose for the program, the win would be the return to relevance and the lose would be Coach Alexander's stock would soar and maybe some bigger HS or possibly a Div III NCAA program with a lot more $s might approach him for a better opportunity. Don't have any intel; just knowing how the way things work in the football business...

What's up with Walsh football? They decide they want to be good at football again? Or just have a random good class? Judging from some of the shenanigans surrounding other sports I kinda get the feeling they're under new management if you know what I mean.

Anyhoo I don't care who wins as long as it's not Hoban 42-7 and then everyone can just fuggetaboutit. Again.

Hope Spectrum televises this game.
Being an Akron area Spectrum customer, I am tiring quickly of Spectrum's repeated decisions to only televise Cleveland area D1 games.

There are other teams, Spectrum.
Another Cleveland area D1 game on Spectrum News 1 this week.

Regional Finals - Friday, November 19
Live television games available on Spectrum News 1, http://SpectrumNewsApp.com and http://OHSAA.tv

Northern Ohio: Division I, Region 1 – 2. Medina vs. 1. Lakewood St. Edward at Parma Byers Field
Central Ohio: Division I, Region 3 – 2. Pickerington Central vs. 1. Upper Arlington at Westerville Central
Southwest Ohio: Division I, Region 4 – 3. West Chester Lakota West vs. 1. Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller at Mason

Live streaming games available at http://OHSAA.tv
Division I, Region 1 – 2. Springfield vs. 1. Marysville at Hilliard Darby (will also air on linear channel 314)
Division II, Region 5 – 5. Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit vs. 3. Akron Archbishop Hoban at Twinsburg
Division II, Region 7 – 7. Uniontown Green vs. 2. Massillon Washington at Canal Fulton Northwest
Division II, Region 8 – 7. Cincinnati Winton Woods vs. 1. Piqua at Clayton Northmont
Division III, Region 9 – 2. Dover vs. 1. Chardon at Ravenna
Division III, Region 11 – 6. Mount Orab Western Brown vs. 1. Granville at Teays Valley
Division III, Region 12 – 3. Bellbrook vs. 1. Hamilton Badin at Trotwood
Division IV, Region 15 – 2. St. Clairsville vs. 1. Carroll Bloom-Carroll at Zanesville
Division IV, Region 16 – 4. Clarksville Clinton-Massie vs. 3. Cincinnati Archbishop McNicholas at Cincinnati Princeton

***Being a Spectrum customer, though, you can watch all the streaming games for free on your computer or other device.

Another Cleveland area D1 game on Spectrum News 1 this week.

Regional Finals - Friday, November 19
Live television games available on Spectrum News 1, http://SpectrumNewsApp.com and http://OHSAA.tv

Northern Ohio: Division I, Region 1 – 2. Medina vs. 1. Lakewood St. Edward at Parma Byers Field
Central Ohio: Division I, Region 3 – 2. Pickerington Central vs. 1. Upper Arlington at Westerville Central
Southwest Ohio: Division I, Region 4 – 3. West Chester Lakota West vs. 1. Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller at Mason

Live streaming games available at http://OHSAA.tv
Division I, Region 1 – 2. Springfield vs. 1. Marysville at Hilliard Darby (will also air on linear channel 314)
Division II, Region 5 – 5. Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit vs. 3. Akron Archbishop Hoban at Twinsburg
Division II, Region 7 – 7. Uniontown Green vs. 2. Massillon Washington at Canal Fulton Northwest
Division II, Region 8 – 7. Cincinnati Winton Woods vs. 1. Piqua at Clayton Northmont
Division III, Region 9 – 2. Dover vs. 1. Chardon at Ravenna
Division III, Region 11 – 6. Mount Orab Western Brown vs. 1. Granville at Teays Valley
Division III, Region 12 – 3. Bellbrook vs. 1. Hamilton Badin at Trotwood
Division IV, Region 15 – 2. St. Clairsville vs. 1. Carroll Bloom-Carroll at Zanesville
Division IV, Region 16 – 4. Clarksville Clinton-Massie vs. 3. Cincinnati Archbishop McNicholas at Cincinnati Princeton

***Being a Spectrum customer, though, you can watch all the streaming games for free on your computer or other device.
FYI. The Massillon Washington-Green game has been moved to Arlin Field in Mansfield

What's up with Walsh football? They decide they want to be good at football again? Or just have a random good class? Judging from some of the shenanigans surrounding other sports I kinda get the feeling they're under new management if you know what I mean.

Anyhoo I don't care who wins as long as it's not Hoban 42-7 and then everyone can just fuggetaboutit. Again.
This years Walsh team does seem to have a (S)ARM(s) and leg above recent years teams

Congrats also to Bryan Blackwell DB, Tyrin Rodgers DT, Drew Erdmann DE, Christian Ochei WR, Trey Bell WR/KR, Leshon Crenshaw RB, Joey Deangelis OL, and Dom Fallon OL for being named 1st team All Crown Conference

Walsh better be careful, if they get too good at football, Padua may convince the other Crown Conference schools it's time to disband and look for other opportunities. ?