Random TV/Movie news.

So who wants to give me $500 for this and also put it together?

IMG_5867.jpeg

Anyone else been to that spot in Dallas? I had business there and my hotel was not far so I decided to check it out, bellboy warned me it was a freak show and he was right. Weird conspiracists with these big signs and different folks selling things. Also fly by night type tours everywhere. Making $s off of this is not cool.
I've been. Stood on the sidewalk. Looked up at the open window. Walked around. Got my picture taken standing on the red X in the middle of the street. Crossed the grassy knoll to look behind the stone wall. The whole time it all seemed familiar, but different. Like everything had changed. Then I figured it out. It's exactly like all the pictures and film. It's just a lot smaller and compact than I imagined.

Since then I've talked with two others who had the exact same impression.

How much money did Oliver Stone make?

The Marvels film is getting roasted by critics and the audiences look like they are staying away, pulled in only $57 million opening weekend which is couch change for a MCU film. When the NY Times review mentions how they are pandering to a certain audience you know you need to re-look at the direction of the franchise. It looks like that South Park show really nailed it and I would not be surprised that a pause button is hit on future content in light of the new contract that Disney has to honor.

How stupid, that a movie panders to an audience. They need to ban movies like Fargo, Saving Private Ryan,...
Movies have ALWAYS pandered. Studios have zero obligation to pander to the Omars.

How stupid, that a movie panders to an audience. They need to ban movies like Fargo, Saving Private Ryan,...
Movies have ALWAYS pandered. Studios have zero obligation to pander to the Omars.
You're right. But usually you want to try to pander to an audience while not alienating large portions of the rest of the population. That seems to be the issue a number of moves have suffered from recently.

You're right. But usually you want to try to pander to an audience while not alienating large portions of the rest of the population. That seems to be the issue a number of moves have suffered from recently.
People choose to be alienated. What in that movie said any genetic portion of society is 'bad', you know, unlike 60s-70-80s movies and tv series in which all the urban bad guys seemed to have an inculcated profile meant to appeal to the masses. Oh no, that is "reality." lol. Well, it wasn't reality to a large part of an alienated audience.

Saying "this" is good doesn't say "not this is" bad.

Deal with it buttercup, lol. Don't be a snowflake... Any more common gaslighting the "masses" have perpetuated on those attempting to peacefully bring to conversation inequities?

Their money, their choice what to do with it. Conservative values. If they want to lose money by not catering to the whims of the loud, so be it.

People choose to be alienated. What in that movie said any genetic portion of society is 'bad', you know, unlike 60s-70-80s movies and tv series in which all the urban bad guys seemed to have an inculcated profile meant to appeal to the masses. Oh no, that is "reality." lol. Well, it wasn't reality to a large part of an alienated audience.

Saying "this" is good doesn't say "not this is" bad.

Deal with it buttercup, lol. Don't be a snowflake... Any more common gaslighting the "masses" have perpetuated on those attempting to peacefully bring to conversation inequities?

Their money, their choice what to do with it. Conservative values. If they want to lose money by not catering to the whims of the loud, so be it.
Geez, must be a mighty flow, still raging 3 days later.

WW2 movies pander? Pretty sure everyone loves Fargo
Yes they do. Casting choices, selection of materials... The evolution of the WWII movie is no secret. It is blatant. Business as well as art play into decision as to what and who is emphasized. These aren't documentaries, which have their own pandering spins.

Of course they pander. Pretty sure most of the movie watching public has not watched Fargo. It is a narrow audience movie.

Yes they do. Casting choices, selection of materials... The evolution of the WWII movie is no secret. It is blatant. Business as well as art play into decision as to what and who is emphasized. These aren't documentaries, which have their own pandering spins.

Of course they pander. Pretty sure most of the movie watching public has not watched Fargo. It is a narrow audience movie.
Pandering as in historically accurate? And you think most people haven’t seen Fargo? You’re high.

I think there is a difference between pandering and catering to an audience. Maybe there is not much distinction but one sounds negative and the other sounds positive.

I think there is a difference between pandering and catering to an audience. Maybe there is not much distinction but one sounds negative and the other sounds positive.
Cambirdge dictionary
To Pander to: to please other people by doing or saying what you think they want you to do or say

To Cater to: to satisfy a need or to provide what is wanted or needed by a particular person or group:

What kind of semantic are you looking for? We could debate all day whether movies are needs. One implies a bit of guesswork and the other presumes complete knowledge. Presumption of cater would strike me the more negative if I were to pick. The distinction probably has more with what we want them to mean.

Businesses pander to potential customers or they just do not stay in business. Be that cars or be that movies. I don't see anyone's hard to understand there. No large business panders to a narrow audience. Disney is not a big and tall store. Not every battalion participating in WW had that kid from Iowa, Chicago, Brooklen, Texas, the bigot from the south and the rich parents in New England that tried to get them deferred, but an awlful lot of war movies followed that formula. Not because it was real. Because they were pandering to an audience according to some directive from on high.

Anyone's inability to just not go to a movie is a them problem.

Last edited: