Public vs. Private .What schools or coaches whine the most about unfair advantages?

And that's the problem. It doesn't work that way in Columbus. I know I've explained it before, but I'll repeat it for new people.

Feeder schools are parish schools and will take anyone registered in their parish - even if the student isn't in his "home parish" as the Catholic Church defines it. In the Columbus Diocese, high schools boundaries are set geographically independent of official parish boundaries though they try to align them as much as possible. The exception is St Charles, who will take anyone from anywhere in the diocese. If you live in Franklin County and in the designated Hartley territory, you go to Hartley. Legacy and other exceptions have to be granted by both the sending and receiving principals, and they're rare. When Alonzo Booth went school shopping (it was publicized in the newspaper), he was probably told that Hartley would not grant a waiver. And that's true. He was told he had to move into DeSales territory just like all the kids that Jerry Francis and friends told to get an apartment in Pickerington. I digress.

Anyhow, CBP would be different if the rest of the state functioned like Columbus. They would just do a +2 or whatever for the waiver only kids. But since the big (and medium) schools run by religious orders and often diocesan schools as well in SWO and NEO and maybe the rest of the state don't have any real boundaries except for maybe the diocese (and I'm skeptical of that), then the plan was designed to treat everyone equally. The publics weren't as upset by the wideness of the attendance boundaries so much as they were by the complete lack of them. And no one could have told the religious orders to change. They don't even listen to the Pope. And, especially since one of them in Akron was cheerfully rejecting academic and institutional integrity in pursuit of trophies at the time.
It used to be this way in SWO, but as the suburbs grew it changed the landscape of both public and private schools. Look at how Mason and Lakota districts boomed and how many families uprooted from their traditional Catholic communities to the new ones that cropped up north and east of Cincinnati. Would they have done so if they knew their kids would have been unable to attend their alma mater? Not to mention that many of the families have both boys and girls and since Cincinnati offers 4 all boys and now 4 all girls schools plus many coed ones, that is a contributing factor as well. Many of the students have no local ties but have moved from other cities where their families attended Catholic schools.

Last edited:
He's spoken publicly on the record about it. Hamilton Township. Hamilton. No work ethic. No player support or community support for the work required to create a successful program. Administrative interference. Lack of discipline.

He hasn't said a thing about his tenure at St Charles. He still works there, but not as the football coach. My guess is he dealt with helicopter mommies worried about junior getting into medical school, not some D-II football team. Makes sense. It's never been a priority there. Still, there is football talent in the building that could be developed. I think he figured out that he wasn't the right guy for it. The new guy seems to be doing OK. Probably just needed a happy medium. But yeah, football talent isn't attracted in any way toward St Charles like they'd be for other area alternatives even though they have the imaginary advantage of being able to "choose players" from the whole city and outlying areas. And an endowment fund that churns out more than a million per year for scholarships.

Here's the weight room they had for him at St Charles:
StCharles_Slide%202_rep.jpg

St Charles is actually a great counterexample of how CBP should have worked. They should have been demoted to D-III. They'd be competitive there. CBP puts them 8 slots from D-I which would be absurd. They already struggle with the D-III schedule they've got.
Yep, I'm well aware that Chuck's has a great weight room, and he was the reason. They choose to place academics above all else there, that doesn't remove the advantage, they just choose not to use it in that way. My understanding too is that these boundaries overlap. Friends of mine live in New Albany but have the option of DeSales or Hartley.

Yep, I'm well aware that Chuck's has a great weight room, and he was the reason.
Nonsense. My brother in law was in Bob Walter's class and played on the football team with him. They didn't spend $5 million to bring in a football coach. They spent it to break thru the land lock. The whole project started years before anybody got the idea of bringing Jacoby to Chucks. And the facility attracts the kids for the somewhat less than completely manly sports.

Friends of mine live in New Albany but have the option of DeSales or Hartley.
Last I knew anything official, it was strictly Resurrection parishioners who sent their kids to St Matthews who had the option. The boundaries haven't been updated in years. But exceptions can tend to devolve into assumed rules and nothing makes downtown blink like a parent threatening to send their kids to a public school instead. St Matthew used to be an Hartley feeder school exclusively, but various pastors have successfully lobbied for the DeSales option. Same thing goes on St Mary German Village. There's an official line drawn on a street map that Hartley has been told won't be enforced religiously (to coin a phrase) in order to stabilize Ready enrollment. There's a whole secret laundry list of exceptions that only the high schools principals know. ESL kids at St James the Less, etc. Every year there's at least one or two families disappointed that the rumors about options were not actually true. I think they have the same thing at St Michaels between Watterson and the purple school. For now, the only safe bets for open enrollment are St Charles and Cristo Rey.

He's spoken publicly on the record about it. Hamilton Township. Hamilton. No work ethic. No player support or community support for the work required to create a successful program. Administrative interference. Lack of discipline.

He hasn't said a thing about his tenure at St Charles. He still works there, but not as the football coach. My guess is he dealt with helicopter mommies worried about junior getting into medical school, not some D-II football team. Makes sense. It's never been a priority there. Still, there is football talent in the building that could be developed. I think he figured out that he wasn't the right guy for it. The new guy seems to be doing OK. Probably just needed a happy medium. But yeah, football talent isn't attracted in any way toward St Charles like they'd be for other area alternatives even though they have the imaginary advantage of being able to "choose players" from the whole city and outlying areas. And an endowment fund that churns out more than a million per year for scholarships.

Here's the weight room they had for him at St Charles:
StCharles_Slide%202_rep.jpg

St Charles is actually a great counterexample of how CBP should have worked. They should have been demoted to D-III. They'd be competitive there. CBP puts them 8 slots from D-I which would be absurd. They already struggle with the D-III schedule they've got.

There are far more schools that it is hurting than helping.

To be honest, I'm not sure how it's helping anyone.

It's just there to make some butthurt people feel better.

They still aren't winning, but I guess they're somehow happy?