Plumbing Estimate Too High?

Foster

Had a basement drain problem, so called national plumbing company. Cleared clog in 5 minutes and charged $344. Price became worth it when he used a camera to show me a break in a pipe outside. It was about 10 feet from house and about 6 feet long. He was even able to tell it was 8 feet under ground. He gave me an estimate to replace the pipe which I thought was too high. Fortunately I have a son skilled at running heavy equipment. We rented a small backhoe, rented an industrial plumbers snake, and bought the materials for a total cost of $1100. It took us 7 hours. My son didn't want any pay but I made him take $700. Total cost now was $1800. The estimate from the plumber was $6836.

Every skilled job around the house seems like a gamble. Hope to find the right person to do the right job at the right price.

We had a hot water tank installed for almost 50% off what the other two estimates we had received.

Had a basement drain problem, so called national plumbing company. Cleared clog in 5 minutes and charged $344. Price became worth it when he used a camera to show me a break in a pipe outside. It was about 10 feet from house and about 6 feet long. He was even able to tell it was 8 feet under ground. He gave me an estimate to replace the pipe which I thought was too high. Fortunately I have a son skilled at running heavy equipment. We rented a small backhoe, rented an industrial plumbers snake, and bought the materials for a total cost of $1100. It took us 7 hours. My son didn't want any pay but I made him take $700. Total cost now was $1800. The estimate from the plumber was $6836.
How bad was the pipes condition when you actually got it out of the ground?

I ask, because if its clay, there nearly always are indicative cracks showing up on the camera.

How bad was the pipes condition when you actually got it out of the ground?

I ask, because if its clay, there nearly always are indicative cracks showing up on the camera.
It was a section of thin walled plastic that someone in the past had replaced. We replaced it with a very thick walled plastic.

Solved a possible $1,800 plumbing issue once by simply going to Home Depot, renting a snake for an hour for $50.00

Sometimes you have no choice but to most what is quoted when it comes to the “trades”. Trying to save a buck usually ends up costing you more sooner than later because the “I got a buddy that does side work” guy doesn’t realize his friend is just a handyman not a trained licensed professional. I can do the basics on most things around the house (handyman) but when it comes to the real deal stuff I am paying if it’s an emergency or saving if it’s not.