Plain Dealer article on increase in private school tuition vouchers

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing charter schools or potentially private schools where they experimented with new ideas. The one restriction I would put on them though would be that the local public school would choose which kids to send there. Of course, the parents would have to approve but it is very obvious that certain kids cost far more to educate than their classmates. You put a couple hundred of these kids in one school and you have skyrocketing costs with little results. If a charter school could prove a new level of success with these difficult kids, that would be great. Personally, I don't think that anything would change. These kids would still struggle in a fancy new environment.

even help clean the stands after a game?

Make sure you never do that.

When volunteering our time for our local 6-12 year old basketball program a union grievance was filed against the head basketball coach because my wife and I cleaned the stands after Sunday games in which no one including the basketball coach were getting paid.

School choice advocate, who is also a government school teacher....

An hour gone by and no denunciations of her being a right wing puppet of the Koch’s and the right to work crowd? Amazing.

Ran into my friend the daughter’s old soccer coach at the grocery store where he and his wife work the day after the D-1 final. He knows I follow high school football and went to Pickerington games for years. He asked if I went to the game. I said no that I watched it on TV and rooted for Elder. He said he and the wife did the same, and that they always root against the public schools playing against a Catholic team. She happened by and ranted about how much she hates Pickerington schools and their teams. They’re both retired public school teachers and sent their kids to the same private schools where I sent mine. Lots of public school teachers opt for private for their own kids.

This just was published in the Akron paper and on ohio.com:

Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit will begin taking voucher students. They must be having enrollment problems. A number of years ago a Walsh mother told me she didn’t pay the high tuition to have her son go to school with ‘those kind of kids.” I guess it’s a good thing he graduated.

I don't agree with kids who have never attended public school to be using vouchers. Though on the one hand I can see the logic, they have as much right to that money as anyone else. Maybe even more right, as they may pay higher taxes. But that was not the reason the voucher system was created. Demonstration of the slippery slope it seems.

An hour gone by and no denunciations of her being a right wing puppet of the Koch’s and the right to work crowd? Amazing.

Ran into my friend the daughter’s old soccer coach at the grocery store where he and his wife work the day after the D-1 final. He knows I follow high school football and went to Pickerington games for years. He asked if I went to the game. I said no that I watched it on TV and rooted for Elder. He said he and the wife did the same, and that they always root against the public schools playing against a Catholic team. She happened by and ranted about how much she hates Pickerington schools and their teams. They’re both retired public school teachers and sent their kids to the same private schools where I sent mine. Lots of public school teachers opt for private for their own kids.

My wife is a teacher in Florence Ky. I would guess about 80% of the teachers with school age kids send them to Private schools (for whatever it’s worth)