Peyton Ramsey/Tommy Kraemer - NFL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will most likely be a great hire. Smart kid who majored in secondary education in college (although Sports Mgt in grad school). I don't think there is any question that he will be a very good football coach over time if he sticks with it.

My guess is that Elder created a job for him rather than had him fill an open position. I say that for two reasons:

1. If it was an open position that could be filled by a new grad, then it would have been filled earlier this by one of the countless recent education majors looking for a teaching job.

2. Has he given up his dream of playing in the NFL this quickly? If not he probably wants the flexibility of leaving Elder if a team suddenly called due to an injury. Does Elder want to hire a teacher for a full time job with the chance of having them leave abruptly to pursue an NFL job?

Obviously pure speculation on my part, but it doesn't seem like a reach. Either way one could argue that his Dad earned some favors from the Elder administration and the administration knows they are getting a quality hire (at least in terms of character).

He will most likely be a great hire. Smart kid who majored in secondary education in college (although Sports Mgt in grad school). I don't think there is any question that he will be a very good football coach over time if he sticks with it.

My guess is that Elder created a job for him rather than had him fill an open position. I say that for two reasons:

1. If it was an open position that could be filled by a new grad, then it would have been filled earlier this by one of the countless recent education majors looking for a teaching job.

2. Has he given up his dream of playing in the NFL this quickly? If not he probably wants the flexibility of leaving Elder if a team suddenly called due to an injury. Does Elder want to hire a teacher for a full time job with the chance of having them leave abruptly to pursue an NFL job?

Obviously pure speculation on my part, but it doesn't seem like a reach. Either way one could argue that his Dad earned some favors from the Elder administration and the administration knows they are getting a quality hire (at least in terms of character).
I don’t think anyone is saying this is the wrong or a bad hire. I know that I’m not. Hell, I would hire the kid because I’ve seen his tenacity in the eyes of struggle. That’s worth it’s weight in gold right there.

Elder also posted a Twitter picture today of their new hires. Every one is connected in some way. It’s about the bigger picture.

The number of Catholic feeder kids decreases every year, and with consolidation coming, it’s going to get worse. Yet Elder seems to always simply just double down on “who they are”.

They still really haven’t adapted to open borders (which had HUGE impacts), and they next thing up is the consolidation which will have HUGE impacts - still status quo.

It’s always been, come be like us, or go away. It’s just not very smart IMO. How do you branch out your reach when everyone has the same lens?

Unless you don’t want to. Which is fine, but if so, just say that and stop the charade. None of this “Elder is open” talk amounts to anything when it comes time to make a decision, and it’s always the same one.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is saying this is the wrong or a bad hire. I know that I’m not. Hell, I would hire the kid because I’ve seen his tenacity in the eyes of struggle. That’s worth it’s weight in gold right there.

Elder also posted a Twitter picture today of their new hires. Every one is connected in some way. It’s about the bigger picture.

The number of Catholic feeder kids decreases every year, and with consolidation coming, it’s going to get worse. Yet Elder seems to always simply just double down on “who they are”.

They still really haven’t adapted to open borders (which had HUGE impacts), and they next thing up is the consolidation which will have HUGE impacts - still status quo.

It’s always been, come be like us, or go away. It’s just not very smart IMO. How do you branch out your reach when everyone has the same lens?

Unless you don’t want to. Which is fine, but if so, just say that and stop the charade. None of this “Elder is open” talk amounts to anything when it comes time to make a decision, and it’s always the same one.
I understand your point however you don't know if Elder selected Ramsey over a minority candidate. If you look at the Catholic schools and even the suburban schools they are not many African American teachers. I think St X has 3, along with a few that run the office of Diversity and Inclusion. I was surprised looking at the Elder website how few female teachers they employ.

It’s never about one instance or one hire - it’s a systematic approach to opening up attitudes and views outside of your comfort bubble. I don’t see a lot of that in a landscape that is more and more open to inclusivity.

Trey,
You can blast Elder all you want for hiring people with connections to the school but it has proven to be successful for 100 years. No other school in the city, perhaps the state, (and maybe bigger than that) has Elder's track record of athletic success combined with stability among its coaches. Football has had two coaches (non graduates) since 1987. Baseball has had one coach since 1990 (non graduate). Basketball has had one coach since 1992 and two since 1965 (?). Wrestling has had two coaches since 1985 (?) and each was not a graduate. Name another school or university in the country with that type of success and longevity? You cant and you wont.

Take a look at LaSalle. An incredibly successful recent run in athletics, yet the coaches (football, baseball, wrestling, etc) all keep leaving? Why? Because they dont really care about LaSalle nor does LaSalle really care about them. It's a stepping stone to the next gig that pays 10K more.

At Elder it's a career, at LaSalle it's a job. Ever read Paul Daugherty's article on Elder..."The tie that binds?". You just don't get it.

Last edited:
Trey,
You can blast Elder all you want for hiring people with connections to the school but it has proven to be successful for 100 years. No other school in the city, perhaps the state, (and maybe bigger than that) has Elder's track record of athletic success combined with stability among its coaches. Football has had two coaches (non graduates) since 1987. Baseball has had one coach since 1990 (non graduate). Basketball has had one coach since 1992 and two since 1965 (?). Wrestling has had two coaches since 1985 (?) and each was not a graduate. Name another school or university in the country with that type of success and longevity? You cant and you wont.

Take a look at LaSalle. An incredibly successful recent run in athletics, yet the coaches (football, baseball, wrestling, etc) all keep leaving? Why? Because they dont really care about LaSalle nor does LaSalle really care about them. It's a stepping stone to the next gig that pays 10K more.

At Elder it's a career, at LaSalle it's a job. Ever read Paul Daugherty's article on Elder..."The tie that binds?". You just don't get it.
It's a Purple Thing, he just doesn't understand. Saw that on a t-shirt somewhere. ;)

It’s never about one instance or one hire - it’s a systematic approach to opening up attitudes and views outside of your comfort bubble. I don’t see a lot of that in a landscape that is more and more open to inclusivity.
If you go on their website and look at staff, they literally have a Hispanic liaison lol they wouldn't have created this position or hired this person if they weren't fully embracing their growing Hispanic population. This was certainly not a thing while I was there and that was more or less a decade ago. Sounds inclusive to me. I'm sure you'll come back with something like, "Wow, one whole person, blah, blah." As if taking the step and moving in that direction isn't enough. I would only expect these types of positions to grow over time, but I'm sure you'll think they're moving too slowly.

So then why haven’t they done the same with the African American population right in their own back yard? I have my theories.

Trey,

I agree with alot of what you’re saying - you think I’m saying Elder is bad because they don’t do it.

I’m saying they could be elite if they did do it. With the foundation of the feeders and added diversity, if the masses would actually buy in, they’d be an academic and athletic destination.

But that also means Johnny Elder may not get the gravy train rolled out for him and his anymore - and they’d rather have that. You take my comments with a defensive slant because you know I’m hitting the mark, instead of actually embracing the possibilities.

So then why haven’t they done the same with the African American population right in their own back yard? I have my theories.
Good point. Must be because they're raging racists and they're "afraid of the legacy kids not getting a spot."

African Americans are largely NOT Catholic. Whites and Hispanics make up the vast majority of the Catholic faith. It may be foolish to try to keep thriving on the Catholic aspect given the decline of it, but that's clearly what they want; practicing Catholics.

I agree with alot of what you’re saying - you think I’m saying Elder is bad because they don’t do it.

I’m saying they could be elite if they did do it. With the foundation of the feeders and added diversity, if the masses would actually buy in, they’d be an academic and athletic destination.

But that also means Johnny Elder may not get the gravy train rolled out for him and his anymore - and they’d rather have that. You take my comments with a defensive slant because you know I’m hitting the mark, instead of actually embracing the possibilities.
Dude, I KNOW a lot of coaches at Elder and, as you always have been, you're way off the mark with this. They do not care what someone's dad or uncle or grandpa did; if you can play, you're gonna play and if that legacy kid can't, he's not gonna. A legacy kid isn't gonna get put in Honors or AP classes just because. You'd be surprised at how much that kinda stuff happens at public schools and the sense of entitlement from parents/kids there, as opposed to at Elder.

Good point. Must be because they're raging racists and they're "afraid of the legacy kids not getting a spot."

African Americans are largely NOT Catholic. Whites and Hispanics make up the vast majority of the Catholic faith. It may be foolish to try to keep thriving on the Catholic aspect given the decline of it, but that's clearly what they want; practicing Catholics.
You’re delusional if you think the majority of younger families that have children at Elder are active, practicing Catholics. Have you been to Church lately?

And yes, I do believe, without question, is most of the reason more inclusion isn’t a priority, is because the legions of Johnny Elders want to see THEIR kid come out of that tunnel like the old days - no question about it. Opening things up threatens that.

Last edited:
The only way it changes is if the most powerful players ask people to embrace some change and an expanded world view. I think that would be great for the students and the community.

But I won’t hold my breath.

Trey,

Coach McCoy started season of 1982-83, I think.

Last edited:
Trey,

If it’s that awesome, why wouldn’t you want others to come in and experience it with that same passion you have?

Wouldn’t that just build even more passion and momentum with more new people? You’re telling me an outsider can’t come in and fall in love with it and care that much?

If it’s that awesome, why wouldn’t you want others to come in and experience it with that same passion you have?

Wouldn’t that just build even more passion and momentum with more new people? You’re telling me an outsider can’t come in and fall in love with it and care that much?
Your conspiracy theory would have slightly more credibility if the girls school next door drawing from the exact same geography was more diverse .

But they are not, so it holds no validity.

Your conspiracy theory would have slightly more credibility if the girls school next door drawing from the exact same geography was more diverse .

But they are not, so it holds no validity.
This shows how completely out of touch you are. Seton is a MODEL of inclusivity.

Your’re too bullheaded to know the difference as the shallow look at nothing but demographic stats. It’s much much deeper than that and I’m not at all surprised by your general lack of understanding.

Ask any outsiders if Seton made them feel welcome and part of the success and pride of the school. I can’t even begin to tell you how happy parents have been with how Seton has elevated the confidence and empowerment in their girls through a sense of belonging.

You’re clueless and to compare the two on this subject is laughable.

Last edited:
But when you hire every teacher, staff member, administrator, support staff, volunteer, etc etc with a direct or indirect tie to an Elder alum, how do you ever dispel the “myth” that you won’t provide opportunity to outsiders, or be open to néw ways of thinking and doing business?

This is why you have no clue. Of the faculty I had in the 1970's over a third were not Elder grads and had nothing to do with Elder prior to becoming employed there. My social studies teacher and track coach was from Akron, Ohio. You have no idea what you are talking about and only seek to perpetuate the lies that you use to slander Elder. My father was not an Elder grad and he was given an honorary diploma to recognize him for all the volunteer work he did for Elder over the years. Mr. Bono was the same as a outsider embraced by the Elder community. How many people had Mr. Ruben for English...not an Elder grad. What about Toby Highly (sic)...not an Elder grad? What about Lee Traught (sic) who had more to do in shaping the Elder Community than most other faculty members...not an Elder grad? Dave Allen touched the lives of thousands of Elder students for over 50 years...not an Elder grad.

You are an ill informed, biased, slandering idiot.

Last edited:
This shows how completely out of touch you are. Seton is a MODEL of inclusivity.

Your’re too bullheaded to know the difference as the shallow look at nothing but demographic stats. It’s much much deeper than that and I’m not at all surprised by your general lack of understanding.

Ask any outsiders if Seton made them feel welcome and part of the success and pride of the school. I can’t even begin to tell you how happy parents have been with how Seton has elevated the confidence and empowerment in their girls through a sense of belonging.

You’re clueless and to compare the two on this subject is laughable.
So when you have no facts to back up your conspiracy theories you say things like "out of touch," "bullheaded", "clueless", and tell me comparing the two identical school is "laughable". Yet you provide no actual examples (which you never do). Just baseless random spewing about how to fix a school you did not attend and which you have told us many times you do not care about.

Let me ask you two questions, how many incoming freshman does this "model of inclusivity" have this year? How many are black? I'm sure you know these answers being as in touch with so many "outsiders" that you have spoken to about Seton. Please share these approximate numbers Trey.

Last edited:
Well, they had similar positions specific to African-American students when I was there almost 15 years ago, so not really sure what you're talking about. Per usual.

So when you have no facts to back up your conspiracy theories you say things like "out of touch," "bullheaded", "clueless", and tell me comparing the two identical school is "laughable". Yet you provide no actual examples (which you never do). Just baseless random spewing about how to fix a school you did not attend and which you have told us many times you do not care about.

Let me ask you two questions, how many incoming freshman does this "model of inclusivity" have this year? How many are black? I'm sure you know these answers being as in touch with so many "outsiders" that you have spoken to about Seton. Please share these approximate numbers Trey.
No clue - you do realize diversity stays and inclusivity are not one in the same, right?

But I will guess - around 200 students with 4-5% being Black?

This is why you have no clue. Of the faculty I had in the 1970's over a third were not Elder grads and had nothing to do with Elder prior to becoming employed there. My social studies teacher and track coach was from Akron, Ohio. You have no idea what you are talking about and only seek to perpetuate the lies that you use to slander Elder. My father was not an Elder grad and he was given an honorary diploma to recognize him for all the volunteer work he did for Elder over the years. Mr. Bono was the same as a outsider embraced by the Elder community. How many people had Mr. Ruben for English...not an Elder grad. What about Toby Highly (sic)...not an Elder grad? What about Lee Traught (sic) who had more to do in shaping the Elder Community than most other faculty members...not an Elder grad? Dave Allen touched the lives of thousands of Elder students for over 50 years...not an Elder grad.

Now we’re back to 1970s examples - and I’m the idiot.

Proving my point for me.

My turn to ask a question:

Do you feel outsiders perceptions of lack of inclusivity and belonging have merit?

Do you feel outsiders perceptions of lack of inclusivity and belonging have merit?

No clue - you do realize diversity stays and inclusivity are not one in the same, right?

But I will guess - around 200 students with 4-5% being Black?
This “model of inclusivity” has 192 students and maybe 3 are black. Not 3%. 3 girls. Total. In the entire class. Less than 2%. Elder has 2x that on its freshman football team. Elder also attracts more kids from more grade schools across the city.

My turn to ask a question:

I’m not an outsider so I’ve no idea if that’s what they perceive. Elder gets kids from 20+ grade schools across the city so they are doing something right. If that is the perception, than probably some truth to it.

Nearly every perception is based in some truth. LaSalle offers huge discounts if you play a sport. X gives breaks in the classroom to black athletes. Moeller is actively recruiting the entire tri-state and encourages transfers for its athletic teams.

I’ve openly rooted and suggested and wished Elder had a more diverse student body. I listed 10 things I’d like to see them do to increase the number of all non traditional students.

Now we’re back to 1970s examples - and I’m the idiot.

Proving my point for me.
Not quite. All of those teachers taught into the 21st century and some of them are still there. Of the more recent additions, several are from out of state and more are local but not Elder grads. You see, I know these people and I know what I am talking about and you do not.

The complaints you have heard and you insist on perpetuating about Elder, I have heard about Oak Hills, Walnut Hills and just about every school in the city. The difference is that there are more Elder haters like you who live to attempt to tear Elder down at every turn.

Get a recent annual and read through the faculty bios. You will find that you whole argument falls apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.